12-21-2022, 01:04 PM   #1
StrongK
Rep
Drives: F30 318d msport

Drive train malfunction, excessive smoke from exhaust

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Good evening 🙂

New guy here looking for some support and clarity on an issue I face with my beloved f30

I’ve read this forum from a far and such a knowledgeable and friendly place so very grateful to be here! I could do with some insight on my 16 318d msport which is excessively smoking out the exhaust with white smoke and I get the dreaded “drive train malfunction” warning like pop and then put the car into limp mode

My car is out of warranty as I’ve had it a while now 🙁 and I’ve seen various response such as head gasket, radiator or coolant issues to spark plugs! So just wondering if anyone has same issue and how much damage this is gonna cost to both car and finances in the worse time of year 🙈😂

Any input would be fantastic and thanks in advance 🙏
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6727.00
      12-21-2022, 01:21 PM   #2
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongK View Post
Good evening ��

New guy here looking for some support and clarity on an issue I face with my beloved f30

I’ve read this forum from a far and such a knowledgeable and friendly place so very grateful to be here! I could do with some insight on my 16 318d msport which is excessively smoking out the exhaust with white smoke and I get the dreaded “drive train malfunction” warning like pop and then put the car into limp mode

My car is out of warranty as I’ve had it a while now �� and I’ve seen various response such as head gasket, radiator or coolant issues to spark plugs! So just wondering if anyone has same issue and how much damage this is gonna cost to both car and finances in the worse time of year ����

Any input would be fantastic and thanks in advance ��
White smoke out of the exhaust is indicative of various things:

1) Blown head gasket but only IF the car is also running hot in my experience
2) Cracked piston ring(s) i.e. oil rings leading to burning oil
3) Worn out valve seals causing burning oil
4) Engine oil level is too high (over full)
5) If it's a turbo diesel then worn turbo bearings can also cause burning oil (white smoke)

You mentioned your car (2016 318D M-Sport) is a diesel, so I'm assuming you are already familiar with how much smoke a diesel engine produces especially on cold days. If not then please know that diesel engines normally produce more exhaust but typically more gray/black smoke than white.

The cost to repair any of the above list will vary depending upon the shop you chose. I suggest finding an independent shop with a good reputation and seek a root cause diagnosis and estimates first. Do this with more than one shop and compare the estimates and diagnosis. While there look for how clean the shop is and how their equipment is maintained. These are clues as to how the shop might treat your car. I see you're in Yorkshire which is a big County. Use the interweb to find independent shops nearby.

I estimate 1) above to be approximately 2000 pounds to repair (cylinder head must come off)
I estimate 2) above to be approximately 5000 pounds to repair (bottom of engine must be disassembled or removed)
I estimate 3) above to approximately 2500 pounds to repair (cylinder head must come off and valves removed and seals replaced)

Report back and let us know what they find as well as the estimated costs to repair so us arm-chair mechanics can know.

Best Indy Shops in Leeds & Bradford:
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...&t=871721&i=20

PS:
I used to live in Guiseley W.Yorks before emigrating to the USA in 1984 post Thatcherism.
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint

Last edited by DrFerry; 12-21-2022 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 4
      12-21-2022, 01:45 PM   #3
StrongK
Rep

Cheers Doc! Looks like the worse case is clearly more evident.

I’ve got my usual in mind who are reputable and I’ve built a relationship with them so they are my next port of call and get the professionals to look at it. Wouldn’t care it has just been into main dealer for EGR recall and they said there was an issue but didn’t tell me what it could be either ��

Thanks for this and I will post any updates I get �� well good to see you have travelled far from Yorkshire �� I’m from
The north east originally and came with work a few years back
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6727.00
      12-21-2022, 01:57 PM   #4
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Tend to agree with all the above.

Generally speaking:

White smoke = water (coolant or just vapor), coolant tends to have a sweet smell
Gray smoke = oil
Black smoke = gas (but can be a lot of oil too)

Definitely can test for coolant leaking into the combustion, would start there, it's the kind of thing worth diagnosing properly and not jumping to a conclusion.
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6727.00
      12-21-2022, 02:21 PM   #5
StrongK
Rep

Thanks tracer!

One thing I do remember they were saying now is that there was low oil pressure too?

Just to throw more spanner’s in the works ��
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6727.00
      12-21-2022, 03:09 PM   #6
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
One thing I do remember they were saying now is that there was low oil pressure too?
Off the top I can't see a connection to the coolant thing, if it is indeed a problem.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6727.00
      12-21-2022, 03:24 PM   #7
StrongK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Off the top I can't see a connection to the coolant thing, if it is indeed a problem.
Ok and thank you for the responses.

It’s really appreciated and just trying to make heads or tails of it all and see if there is any possible, positives

I’m ringing my garage in the morning to say it’s coming in and face some music.

I’m guessing I’m being naive to expect the main dealer to give me the heads up and tell me the detail as wel? quite annoyed about that lol
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6727.00
      12-21-2022, 04:26 PM   #8
Rono63
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Have you engine pressure tested and check the oil to see if it is milky.

Sounds like coolant is getting into the cylinders.

The low oil pressure may be due to the coolant causing damage to oiling system.

Good luck, hope you are able to determine the problem.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2022, 11:52 PM   #9
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I’m guessing I’m being naive to expect the main dealer to give me the heads up and tell me the detail as wel?
I wouldn't be happy or annoyed with anyone yet. Have to run some good tests to see what's really going on. Take it from there.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 02:22 AM   #10
StrongK
Rep

Ok understood and thanks for the responses

I checked oil and doesn’t appear to be milky but quite thick, black oil and there is nothing around the coolant cap etc either just for awareness
Appreciate 0