Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
Yeah you can do it on BimmerCode anyway, not sure about in the car

On Bimmercode it's under head unit
Did not know about this. Thank you very much sir!
Really bad advice for a Gxx xDrive vehicle.
He wants to do it, not me
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 06:06 PM   #46
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And he just pointed out it was bad advice to give to the owner of a Gxx xdrive car...

Bad advice is bad advice, regardless who you give it to or if you follow your own advice or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 06:08 PM   #47
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How does that change anything? It's still bad advice.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 06:31 PM   #48
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't get you? He wants to know how to turn off his sensors? I told him how to do it. I didn't tell him it's a good idea. He's a big boy
Appreciate 1
jninja514.50
      05-22-2021, 08:30 PM   #49
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't get you? He wants to know how to turn off his sensors? I told him how to do it. I didn't tell him it's a good idea. He's a big boy
+1

Internet parents. People need to just let others be.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 09:34 PM   #50
435MSport6Speed
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435i M Sport 6 Speed

He's a good driver. That was brisk speed. Makes my Ring laps seem slow. 🙁
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 12:00 AM   #51
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Well, if you know is a bad advice why don't you say it? I mean, I appreciate the effort but you should tell me if is not ok. I give advices in here too, but I disclose if something might not be good....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
And he just pointed out it was bad advice to give to the owner of a Gxx xdrive car...

Bad advice is bad advice, regardless who you give it to or if you follow your own advice or not.
Can you guys enlighten me what is the issue or what is negative about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
TPMS is not required in Canada so you should be able to code it off. Canadian cars use wheel speed sensors to calculate rotational differential to detect a flat. At least that's how all BMWs I know of have been setup for as long as I can remember.
That's what I have on The X1.
maybe my X4 has the same, not sure yet.
But my 2021 M340i (Canadian Performance Edition) has that TPMS (as per my Service advisor). I have replaced the RFT as soon as the car arrived and pick it up with new Michelin PS4 that I bought for it. But since I brought it home it bugs me non stop with "inflate tires). Not to mention it did not calibrate the system, I needed to put the dimensions manually. Plus the door jam says 38 and the computer suggests 49 PSI? I am confused.
Do you know what can be done?
I will gladly just throw the TPMS in the garbage and go without it. I will recheck on Monday to see if I have TPMS for sure.

Last edited by Teutonic; 05-23-2021 at 12:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 02:00 AM   #52
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+1

So if someone gives advice that is potentially bad both for performance and safety we should just let it be, without saying it's bad advice???

But giving bad advice is ok and must not be questioned by others???

I thought this was a discussion forum, not a platform where the first reply to a question should end the thread, regardless if that first reply is right or wrong, good or bad...

If I ask a question here and someone replies with a advice I would appreciate it if someone else also chimes in. Especially when that someone has a proven track record here and also has inside knowledge from BMW...

Modern cars are quite complex and the information from the TPMS is used for much more than just giving a message in the dashbord about low tire pressure. Other systems, like adaptive suspension and drivetrain, also use tire pressure data.

Mechanically it's also bad for the transfer system in the xdrive if say the front tire pressures are too low (or high) without a TPMS to monitor this.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 02:40 AM   #53
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+1

So if someone gives advice that is potentially bad both for performance and safety we should just let it be, without saying it's bad advice???

I thought this was a discussion forum, not a platform where the first reply to a question should end the thread, regardless if that first reply is right or wrong, good or bad...

If I ask a question here and someone replies with a advice I would appreciate it if someone else also chimes in. Especially when that someone has a proven track record here and also has inside knowledge from BMW...

Modern cars are quite complex and the information from the TPMS is used for much more than just giving a message in the dashbord about low tire pressure. Other systems, like adaptive suspension and drivetrain, also use tire pressure data.

Mechanically it's also bad for the transfer system in the xdrive if say the front tire pressures are too low (or high) without a TPMS to monitor this.
My only point is/was, people are big boys and girls. They know unprotected sex is risky, altering a car from its OEM mechanical state is often a bad idea (...or has negligible benefit or could be mechanically disastrous) and drugs are bad. Going on and on about it doesn't benefit anybody. My "internet parent" comment wasn't directed at you specifically. It was more general in nature.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 04:12 AM   #54
Ghostriderf80
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Just a Porsche

Quote:
My only point is/was, people are big boys and girls. They know unprotected sex is risky, altering a car from its OEM mechanical state is often a bad idea (...or has negligible benefit or could be mechanically disastrous) and drugs are bad. Going on and on about it doesn't benefit anybody. My "internet parent" comment wasn't directed at you specifically. It was more general in nature.

Ok, so for some, do not alter your OEM car, drive it as is. Street car to track there may be some differences. So it's his car he drives it, he can turn off the warning. Pretty sure he checked his tire pressure w a pressure gauge before going on track.

As far as unprotected sex, well it's advised that both parties should be tested before engaging in intercourse to minimize the chance of STI spread. To be very sure at time zero and 3 months before starting unprotected sex to ensure you do not have HIV. I hope the sex issues is cleared up.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24971.50
      05-23-2021, 04:16 AM   #55
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostriderf80 View Post
Quote:

Ok, so for some, do not alter your OEM car, drive it as is. Street car to track there may be some differences. So it's his car he drives it, he can turn off the warning. Pretty sure he checked his tire pressure w a pressure gauge before going on track.

As far as unprotected sex, well it's advised that both parties should be tested before engaging in intercourse to minimize the chance of STI spread. To be very sure at time zero and 3 months before starting unprotected sex to ensure you do not have HIV. I hope the sex issues is cleared up.
....you forgot the drugs. What about the drugs?!?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 04:34 AM   #56
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+1

I think it's common knowledge that drugs is bad for you and unprotected sex can cause STD.

Don't believe that consequences of coding out TPMS on a modern car is as well known...

Or perhaps I have missed out on all the previous comments/threads on this topic re TPMS/xdrive making it common public knowledge in line with drugs and unprotected sex???
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 06:19 AM   #57
barryc365
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Well, if you know is a bad advice why don't you say it? I mean, I appreciate the effort but you should tell me if is not ok. I give advices in here too, but I disclose if something might not be good....

Quote:

Quote:
TPMS is not required in Canada so you should be able to code it off. Canadian cars use wheel speed sensors to calculate rotational differential to detect a flat. At least that's how all BMWs I know of have been setup for as long as I can remember.
But my 2021 M340i (Canadian Performance Edition) has that TPMS (as per my Service advisor). I have replaced the RFT as soon as the car arrived and pick it up with new Michelin PS4 that I bought for it. But since I brought it home it bugs me non stop with "inflate tires). Not to mention it did not calibrate the system, I needed to put the dimensions manually. Plus the door jam says 38 and the computer suggests 49 PSI? I am confused.
I will gladly just throw the TPMS in the garbage and go without it. I will recheck on Monday to see if I have TPMS for sure.
I did not know it to be 'bad advice'. I was just telling you how it can be done. I've removed bad sensors in the past with no ill effects but that was on slightly older BMWs.

I still haven't heard a good reason not to remove it other than modern cars being 'complex'.

I don't know why the other posters would say it's 'really bad advice' but not take the time to explain why... My guess is that they don't know for sure that there will actually be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 08:18 AM   #58
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
I did not know it to be 'bad advice'. I was just telling you how it can be done. I've removed bad sensors in the past with no ill effects but that was on slightly older BMWs.

I still haven't heard a good reason not to remove it other than modern cars being 'complex'.

I don't know why the other posters would say it's 'really bad advice' but not take the time to explain why... My guess is that they don't know for sure that there will actually be an issue.
Lemetier who said it was bad advice shared some inside info earlier in this thread re TPMS and adaptive suspension.

Anyone who has been here for some time know that he is someone with inside knowledge from BMW, close to the development.

Search his posts and I think you will find he isn't just a regular contributor on these forums...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 08:32 AM   #59
barryc365
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Lemetier who said it was bad advice shared some inside info earlier in this thread re TPMS and adaptive suspension.

Anyone who has been here for some time know that he is someone with inside knowledge from BMW, close to the development.

Search his posts and I think you will find he isn't just a regular contributor on these forums...
Fair enough but instead of just saying 'it's bad advice' twice, he may have enlightened us with his knowledge of the 'why' a little earlier if he's that close to that information.

Again, I wasn't giving advice on weather this is a good idea or not. Lots of people modify their cars and a lot of those modifications are not the smartest of ideas but I was just answering his question on the 'how' it can be done
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24971.50
      05-23-2021, 09:26 AM   #60
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Fair enough but instead of just saying 'it's bad advice' twice, he may have enlightened us with his knowledge of the 'why' a little earlier if he's that close to that information.

Again, I wasn't giving advice on weather this is a good idea or not. Lots of people modify their cars and a lot of those modifications are not the smartest of ideas but I was just answering his question on the 'how' it can be done
Fair point, but the same could be said when giving advice as well... 😉

If it's ok to give advice without explaining the pros and cons of said advice, perhaps it's a bit double standards to demand more from someone saying the advice is bad.

IMHO both of you should have explained the reasoning behind what you posted. You adviced him that he could code it out, which seemed like advice he was happy to follow (with possible bad consequences both for warranty, safety and damage to the xdrive), without any disclaimers. Lemetier just pointed out that was bad advice on a Gxx xdrive, without any details as to why.

At least this puts the one that asked this question in a position where he might do some due dilligence before just coding it out.
Appreciate 2
lemetier2614.00
Teutonic2709.00
      05-23-2021, 09:53 AM   #61
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
This guy is an excellent driver. The M2 was over-braking into and sometimes inside the corners. A modified M2 with suspension and cage should be faster through the corners than a stock G80/G82 but he was slowing down too much.

I always recommend upgrading yourself before upgrading the car.
To bring the conversation back on topic, you are absolutely correct.

Just because I passed a McLaren on track doesn’t mean that it was under steering badly and that my car had enough power to keep up or that I was running semi slicks. Almost none of that matters when driving fast on track, and you first and foremost compare drivers, not cars. You cannot even comment on pass/no pass decisions, sometimes it’s fun to play cat and mouse with someone else on track, and I often swap positions with other drivers just to see what they are doing differently.

The video is entertaining, the (French?) driver very good, and that’s about it.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
lemetier2614.00
      05-23-2021, 12:53 PM   #62
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

If it's ok to give advice without explaining the pros and cons of said advice, perhaps it's a bit double standards to demand more from someone saying the advice is bad.

IMHO both of you should have explained the reasoning behind what you posted. You adviced him that he could code it out, which seemed like advice he was happy to follow (with possible bad consequences both for warranty, safety and damage to the xdrive), without any disclaimers. Lemetier just pointed out that was bad advice on a Gxx xdrive, without any details as to why.

At least this puts the one that asked this question in a position where he might do some due dilligence before just coding it out.
I want to get rid of it but don't want to damage something or void the warranty of the vehicle. Is few months old. That's why I was asking if something can be done, maybe similar with my old X1 which gives signals based on the rotation and has no TPMS. Thank you for raising the flag.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 02:06 PM   #63
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Quote:

I want to get rid of it but don't want to damage something or void the warranty of the vehicle. Is few months old. That's why I was asking if something can be done, maybe similar with my old X1 which gives signals based on the rotation and has no TPMS. Thank you for raising the flag.
If you'll start a thread in the appropriate area, I'll address it in detail. In the meantime, try the following first. In the tire data menu, change the speed conditions to normal instead of high speed.
Appreciate 2
Boss3301711.50
jonahk703.50
      05-23-2021, 06:54 PM   #64
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3cs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well after reading all that nonsense I'd like that 10mins of my life back ...
      05-23-2021, 11:39 PM   #65
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrm396 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrm396 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Read this thread on some recent warranty issues re coding:

Coding got caught https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1824842
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 01:35 AM   #66
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Read this thread on some recent warranty issues re coding:

Coding got caught https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1824842
Wow so basically full electrical component warranty being denied because someone turned off the puddle lights? (I went a few threads deep there)

This makes me seriously rethink using bimmercode to do anything even as benign as turning off the iDrive disclaimer which I've done on every car I've owned (and my current long term loaner while my G80 gets built - oops)
Appreciate 0