BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

05-19-2022, 02:05 AM   #133
RedRudolf
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 g80

I had an M4, M3, M2, and numerous other BMW's and finally last year bought a 2017 911 GTS plus a M240i for a daily driver. Love the 911, however, it was a just sitting in the garage and therefore a few days ago I have sold, both the 240i and also the 911 and bought a G80 M3 Competition as it just makes more sense.
Appreciate 5
Limegrntaln13408.00
PLF693766.00
Sedan_Clan24980.50
YamaLink425.00
2011ninja3377.50
      05-19-2022, 03:33 AM   #134
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRudolf View Post
I had an M4, M3, M2, and numerous other BMW's and finally last year bought a 2017 911 GTS plus a M240i for a daily driver. Love the 911, however, it was a just sitting in the garage and therefore a few days ago I have sold, both the 240i and also the 911 and bought a G80 M3 Competition as it just makes more sense.
Congrats, welcome.

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 06:22 AM   #135
Flying05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Curious why you did not drive the 911? I had a similar experience coming from mine as well. Never really drove it.
      06-02-2022, 06:23 AM   #136
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying05 View Post
Quote:
Curious why you did not drive the 911? I had a similar experience coming from mine as well. Never really drove it.
…because it's not very practical. My 992 is a weekend/recreation car. In fact, I haven't driven it in 3 weeks at least (…I put 1700 miles on the car during the first month of ownership road tripping her to Sedona - which is a lot for me - so I gave it a rest; I'll drive it again in a couple of weeks when I road trip to Santa Barbara). The cars with useable back seats and trunk spaces are the easier cars to jump into. With that said, I love my 992.
Appreciate 4
Ilyam5891.50
YamaLink425.00
JTO245271.50
02M3ForMe4257.00
      06-02-2022, 07:40 AM   #137
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: rust-free '93 Toyota 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
…because it's not very practical. My 992 is a weekend/recreation car. In fact, I haven't driven it in 3 weeks at least (…I put 1700 miles on the car during the first month of ownership road tripping her to Sedona - which is a lot for me - so I gave it a rest; I'll drive it again in a couple of weeks when I road trip to Santa Barbara). The cars with useable back seats and trunk spaces are the easier cars to jump into. With that said, I love my 992.
Your real-world input makes me pause thinking I want a Cayman GTS 4.0 (or higher, yeah good luck) for good weather daily. Never owned a 2 seater, always at least had 2+2. No track use, old Lexus SUV beater, prefer smaller cars (M4 a little too big, my M240i a little too small, I'd choose 2 series size if forced).
Maybe it's my way of feeling better not finding GTS+ above allocation.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24980.50
      06-02-2022, 07:46 AM   #138
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
Quote:
Your real-world input makes me pause thinking I want a Cayman GTS 4.0 (or higher, yeah good luck) for good weather daily. Never owned a 2 seater, always at least had 2+2. No track use, old Lexus SUV beater, prefer smaller cars (M4 a little too big, my M240i a little too small, I'd choose 2 series size if forced).
Maybe it's my way of feeling better not finding GTS+ above allocation.
I definitely went into it knowing the car wouldn't be a daily…….not by a long shot. On the same token, my most recent '17 M4 was a weekend/recreation car as well (…13,500 miles over 4 years; sold here on the forum May of 2021). It's just much easier to jump into my '21 Toyota Corolla….and I don't have to "care" about where I park, dents, road debris, immaculate paint, etc.

The GTS 4.0 is a great car. Get it! You have a beater, so you can get by with a two seater with only enough frunk space for two newborn babies. Lol!
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3377.50
      06-02-2022, 08:28 AM   #139
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I definitely went into it knowing the car wouldn't be a daily…….not by a long shot. On the same token, my most recent '17 M4 was a weekend/recreation car as well (…13,500 miles over 4 years; sold here on the forum May of 2021). It's just much easier to jump into my '21 Toyota Corolla….and I don't have to "care" about where I park, dents, road debris, immaculate paint, etc.

The GTS 4.0 is a great car. Get it! You have a beater, so you can get by with a two seater with only enough frunk space for two newborn babies. Lol!
Yeah, already noticed a tiny nick on front from the 500 mile drive back home. Parked next to my 2005 suv which has so many stories from its door dings and camping related scrapes it actually made me do a first world problem smile, ha.

I went from wanting the M3 for its styling (the hips) then realizing I don't want/need a 4 door to the M4 and loving everything about it except the size compared to my m240ix. The Caymans all look the same below the GT4 and I'll admit that matters to me. Drove a regular Cayman S about 3 years ago that did nothing for me emotionally. No chance to test a GTS 4.0 as a daily and don't want to be disappointed with low rpm like the Macan S (revved it so hard on quick test the SA started shouting, what a douche); obviously apples to oranges. Building a GTS 4.0 online last night shocked me in two ways:
1: the nickel and diming for simple stuff like auto dimming mirrors and folding mirrors and.... I knew about it, but actually building one made the BMW experience seem almost too easy like buying my Tesla. A decent spec added $15,000! Out the door I don't think the $22,000 delta over my M4CX can be justified. That's enough to buy another KTM 1290 Adventure R!
2: there are some wheels and colors that make the pedestrian looking Cayman just POP and it's so unique in a sea of off the lot Porsches. But even if I could find one it won't be my color.

Decisions, decisions. What if I could get a GTS 4.0 right now???
Again, thanks for your input. And I am a bit envious of your Corolla. Tried getting the GR, but local dealer has maybe ONE and the list was in the DOZENS.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24980.50
      06-02-2022, 01:48 PM   #140
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, already noticed a tiny nick on front from the 500 mile drive back home. Parked next to my 2005 suv which has so many stories from its door dings and camping related scrapes it actually made me do a first world problem smile, ha.

I went from wanting the M3 for its styling (the hips) then realizing I don't want/need a 4 door to the M4 and loving everything about it except the size compared to my m240ix. The Caymans all look the same below the GT4 and I'll admit that matters to me. Drove a regular Cayman S about 3 years ago that did nothing for me emotionally. No chance to test a GTS 4.0 as a daily and don't want to be disappointed with low rpm like the Macan S (revved it so hard on quick test the SA started shouting, what a douche); obviously apples to oranges. Building a GTS 4.0 online last night shocked me in two ways:
1: the nickel and diming for simple stuff like auto dimming mirrors and folding mirrors and.... I knew about it, but actually building one made the BMW experience seem almost too easy like buying my Tesla. A decent spec added $15,000! Out the door I don't think the $22,000 delta over my M4CX can be justified. That's enough to buy another KTM 1290 Adventure R!
2: there are some wheels and colors that make the pedestrian looking Cayman just POP and it's so unique in a sea of off the lot Porsches. But even if I could find one it won't be my color.

Again, thanks for your input. And I am a bit envious of your Corolla. Tried getting the GR, but local dealer has maybe ONE and the list was in the DOZENS.
Any time!

I spent an hour behind the wheel of mzcp's Chalk GTS 4.0 when we went to pick up my 992. The engine/induction noise is sonorous. It is smaller than the 992 and it wraps around you. I really liked the drive a lot. Color combination is everything with cars.

Toyota - just like every other manufacturer minus Alfa and Land Rover - is having a field day with the ADM's. The GR is $20-30k over; the new EV's are $10-15k over. I purchased my Corolla SE MT in Dec of 2020, which was the beginning of the nonsense. I was still able to obtain an LEO discount. My same car sells for much higher now if you can find one. It's nuts! I received 2.5% off my '22 C2S in this market where it sells for $20k+ over sticker. Truly lucky I knew somebody who knew somebody.
Appreciate 2
YamaLink425.00
solstice5456.50
      06-07-2022, 02:09 PM   #141
MCM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 GMC AT4

Quote:

Again, thanks for your input. And I am a bit envious of your Corolla. Tried getting the GR, but local dealer has maybe ONE and the [...]
Yama... I'm curious. You don't seem enamored w your brand new Skyscraper M4! I have the same on order, do you regret it (I can't tell if you are already thinking if trading it out or not)?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 05:46 PM   #142
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCM4 View Post
Yama... I'm curious. You don't seem enamored w your brand new Skyscraper M4! I have the same on order, do you regret it (I can't tell if you are already thinking if trading it out or not)?
It has more to do with me than the car. The M4 exceeded my expectations in some ways, met almost all others, and only fell short subjectively in two areas: the front and rear styling is so perfect and makes the side view look like an old Hyundai Genesis Coupe. Heck, I've said in some colors and wheel combo the M4 looks like a Mustang. The other subjective shortcoming is the low end grunt. Not just cuz I owned a Tesla, nothing will match an EV for instant ON, but I'm a closet V8 and supercharger fanboy, and my friend purchased a CT5 Blackwing so there's going to be some "oooh, I should've purchased that....let's find things 'wrong' with the M4 so I can make that switch." Again, more to do with me than the M4CX.

With the current car market I only had two on my short list that could be delivered in 6 months and neither of which I saw in person and obviously didn't test drive. I bought the M4 based on familiarity with current BMW 2 series and online tests & comments, and it was tens of thousands less than a Porsche. I didn't want to wait 3 years for the Rivian R1T nor the Z06 C8, and cancelled both reservations.

Regarding "it has more to do with me" my friend summed it up this morning that may help explain: I'm one of those guys who is already thinking about the next car/motorcycle/house/whatever before the current "chase" is delivered. Not saying I don't live in the moment, but I don't keep cars past their warranty, and am fortunate, like many, to have finally stopped taking a financial beating on new and used cars so I may be trying to get the next deal before market correction. I can afford to have multiple bikes, I keep those for years, and rarely shop around. One of my favorite race bikes is 10 years old, it's not going anywhere. I don't have that sense of permanence with cars.

I can't afford to have multiple highend or even one exotic like so many others do. So I'm always looking for the next one. Don't let my wishy washy effect your incoming BMW. No car can be everything to a driver, guess that's why we have more than one or make decisions based on what our current vehicle(s) don't give us or make us feel while driving.

Sorry for the long rant. Just wanted to make sure you knew the M3/M4 is a fantastic car and gives so much for the money relatively speaking.
Appreciate 2
JTO245271.50
2011ninja3377.50
      06-07-2022, 08:03 PM   #143
MCM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 GMC AT4

Quote:
It has more to do with me than the car. The M4 exceeded my expectations in some ways, met almost all others, and only fell short subjectively in two areas: the front and rear styling is so perfect and makes the side view look like an old Hyundai Genesis Coupe. Heck, I've said in some colors and wheel combo the M4 looks like a Mustang. The other subjective shortcoming is the low end grunt. Not just cuz I owned a Tesla, nothing will match an EV for instant ON, but I'm a closet V8 and supercharger fanboy, and my friend purchased a CT5 Blackwing so there's going to be some "oooh, I should've purchased that....let's find things 'wrong' with the M4 so I can make that switch." Again, more to do with me than the M4CX.

With the current car market I only had two on my short list that could be delivered in 6 months and neither of which I saw in person and obviously didn't test drive. I bought the M4 based on familiarity with current BMW 2 series and online tests & comments, and it was tens of thousands less than a Porsche. I didn't want to wait 3 years for the Rivian R1T nor the Z06 C8, and cancelled both reservations.

Regarding "it has more to do with me" my friend summed it up this morning that may help explain: I'm one of those guys who is already thinking about the next car/motorcycle/house/whatever before the current "chase" is delivered. Not saying I don't live in the moment, but I don't keep cars past their warranty, and am fortunate, like many, to have finally stopped taking a financial beating on new and used cars so I may be trying to get the next deal before market correction. I can afford to have multiple bikes, I keep those for years, and rarely shop around. One of my favorite race bikes is 10 years old, it's not going anywhere. I don't have that sense of permanence with cars.

I can't afford to have multiple highend or even one exotic like so many others do. So I'm always looking for the next one. Don't let my wishy washy effect your incoming BMW. No car can be everything to a driver, guess that's why we have more than one or make decisions based on what our current vehicle(s) don't give us or make us feel while driving.

Sorry for the long rant. Just wanted to make sure you knew the M3/M4 is a fantastic car and gives so much for the money relatively speaking.
I appreciate your candor, Yama.

In the current car market, virtually nothing compares to the Supercharged LT4 CT5-V Blackwing. You want low end grunt, that is the car. I am also on the list for one, and I am highly confident it would be available later this year. Having the CT4-V Blackwing for almost 1 month now, I can unequivocally state the car is loads of fun to drive. I almost can't imagine that 5. It's gotta be a cool feeling to be in any most gear and rpm, smash the throttle, and spin.

As you say, no one car can be all things. I prefer the 2 door M4 coupe, I love the aesthetics inside and out. Certainly more luxurious than the Cadillacs. I am commuting in mine, and hit a load of traffic. The clutch on the 4 is so manageable I don't mind. I have not yet driven a 5, letalone in 6MT, which by all accounts is much more stout.

I know the M4 will suit my needs best. But I fear it will be soulless compared to the Blackwings. And that would be a problem. I completed 3 test drives in a M4 Competion (non xDrive). The acceleration is so enjoyable. The interior is phenomenal. The car looks sexy. But yet I do have some reservations. I can't own them all, and I really would like one for the next 5+ years. It's somewhat exciting to not know exactly where the dust settles just yet, but soon enough I should.

Hope your M4 serves you well, and that the pros greatly outweigh the cons
Appreciate 1
YamaLink425.00
      06-08-2022, 12:10 AM   #144
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

The drawback(s) of being a car/bike-guy/gal is you're always wondering about the next thing like YamaLink alluded to. In many ways I envy the person who looks at a vehicle like a point A-to-B appliance and is not emotionally connected to the act of driving/riding. Life is so much easier for them.
Appreciate 2
YamaLink425.00
JTO245271.50
      06-08-2022, 05:11 AM   #145
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
The drawback(s) of being a car/bike-guy/gal is you're always wondering about the next thing like YamaLink alluded to. In many ways I envy the person who looks at a vehicle like a point A-to-B appliance and is not emotionally connected to the act of driving/riding. Life is so much easier for them.
Why not combine both: an A-B appliance that provides an emotional connection? IMO, OCD is the biggest deterrent for using great cars. I see my 911 as a utility. A utility for my transportation needs ad well as one for my driving passion. I drive it daily, use it to go shopping, bring kids to their sporting events (yes, my son’s hockey bag fits in the frunk), use it for road trips with the family, drive it through winter in road salt and use it to fulfill my track addiction. The car is PPFed, but it has nicks on the bumper, hood and fenders. I purposefully did not take the painted accessories because the mate black is better at absorbing nicks. I still wash it and wax it regularly, but this car is meant to be used and driven. I find it just as easy to hop in the 911 as it was to do so in all the other cars I have owned. Maybe the blockage with some is more psychological than physical .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 06-08-2022 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 5
Sedan_Clan24980.50
YamaLink425.00
JTO245271.50
KevinGS3320.00
      06-08-2022, 06:52 AM   #146
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Why not combine both: an A-B appliance that provides an emotional connection? IMO, OCD is the biggest deterrent for using great cars. I see my 911 as a utility. A utility for my transportation needs ad well as one for my driving passion. I drive it daily, use it to go shopping, bring kids to their sporting events (yes, my son's hockey bag fits in the frunk), use for it road trips, drive it through winter in road salt and use it to fulfill my track addiction. The car is PPFed, but it has nicks on the bumper, hood and fenders. I purposefully did not take the painted accessories because the mate black is better at absorbing nicks. I still wash it and wax it regularly, but this car is meant to be used and driven. I find it just as easy to hop in the 911 as it was in all the other cars I have owned. Maybe the blockage with some is more psychological than physical .
I don't disagree at all. Your statements absolutely have merit. OCD is the culprit for sure.
Appreciate 2
CanAutM321115.00
YamaLink425.00
      06-08-2022, 08:20 AM   #147
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't disagree at all. Your statements absolutely have merit. OCD is the culprit for sure.
Hey, I resemble that remark!

sidenote: drove M4 to dinner meeting, big group, live music, lots of fun. No way to ABI so took chances between two Tundras owned by friends (they'd be partying long after I left). Walked out and saw guy with his wife standing feet from the grill staring at M4. I open door and realize it's the high school preppy car snob who used to make fun of my family's old "not fast model, the cheap one" BMW. The look on his face realizing it was me, after allllll these years, was priceless. Head nod, and made sure car startup was raspy in M1!
Appreciate 5
Sedan_Clan24980.50
bri10425895.00
NYCMT135.00
jmg18658.50
02M3ForMe4257.00
      06-17-2022, 06:51 AM   #148
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Quote:

If I ever get a 911 it will be because I want to try one.

I'm beyond thrilled with my G80.

The posts are very consistent. Even though the 911 can be a daily it's more a novelty. It's use case makes more sense with some track use.

KTM ready to race…

1290 is a beast I've ridden RC8 and 1290 GT

I road race bikes for over 20 years now I'm on a 40th anniversary r 1250 gs (my 2nd GS) absolutely sublime comfort and road manners for bombing down the highway. Bike is absolutely phenomenal!!!

Does an easy 140 mph I've done my share of track time on my past 2011 modified ZX10R
So speed was not a requirement for the beastly adventure bike.

You have the Ferrari of adventure bikes. Buddy of mine is the poster child for KTM. Has a 2013 RC8 and a 2019 KTM 1290 GT.his garage is adorned with KTM colors and theme. His portable chairs have KTM logos

Believe it or not when the weather is beautiful on the weekends the wife actually prefers to do a day or road trip on the R 1250 GS. It's that good! She is not a motorcycle enthusiast at all but likes the GS enough to pick the bike over the M3 which is mind blowing to me…

to me cars will never be as fun as bikes and I think my G80 is phenomenal.
Appreciate 1
YamaLink425.00
      06-17-2022, 07:00 AM   #149
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Hey, I resemble that remark!

sidenote: drove M4 to dinner meeting, big group, live music, lots of fun. No way to ABI so took chances between two Tundras owned by friends (they'd be partying long after I left). Walked out and saw guy with his wife standing feet from the grill staring at M4. I open door and realize it's the high school preppy car snob who used to make fun of my family's old "not fast model, the cheap one" BMW. The look on his face realizing it was me, after allllll these years, was priceless. Head nod, and made sure car startup was raspy in M1!
Absolutely love that story!!!!

🦅
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 07:16 AM   #150
Purekoryo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
I think being a "daily" is all relative from personal feelings about things and how you place value to everyday legitimate needs.

I actually daily'ed a 718 GT4 manual with carbon buckets for over a year. The suspension was even more compliant than my new M3 and didn't mind it one bit. And I am in my early 40's.

I used to own a 991.2 GTS as well and I think that is the perfect car to fit my needs and want.

Thus, waiting on what the M3CS will be like and on "the list" from a few dealerships for the 992 GTS (1-2 years out).
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 07:51 AM   #151
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purekoryo View Post
I think being a "daily" is all relative from personal feelings about things and how you place value to everyday legitimate needs.

I actually daily'ed a 718 GT4 manual with carbon buckets for over a year. The suspension was even more compliant than my new M3 and didn't mind it one bit. And I am in my early 40's.

I used to own a 991.2 GTS as well and I think that is the perfect car to fit my needs and want.

Thus, waiting on what the M3CS will be like and on "the list" from a few dealerships for the 992 GTS (1-2 years out).
It's not that a 718 or 992 can't be daily driven, but there are compromises if you choose to do so. It really has little to do with the suspension, drivability, etc. In that respect either vehicle is fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 12:22 PM   #152
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
It's not that a 718 or 992 can't be daily driven, but there are compromises if you choose to do so. It really has little to do with the suspension, drivability, etc. In that respect either vehicle is fine.
I don’t really agree here, suspension and drivability do matter. All my buddies that own GT3/GT3RS/GT2RS are all unanimous is saying they wont even consider daily driving them because they are too noisy and harsh. Heck practically all if them trailer them to the track because they are too uncomfortable to drive to and from the track.

On the other hand, my 992TT is very liveable form a daily/road trip perspective. It has enough room to schlepp my wife and two young kids and enough room carry some luggage and shopping goods while remaining perfectly comfortable/drivable. It only gets limited for bigger shopping such a furniture or lumbar yard stuff, but we have the RS6 for that.

I do agree that it’s all a question of compromise and where one is willing to draw the line.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 07-08-2022 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 03:39 PM   #153
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
I don't really agree here, suspension and drivability do matter. All my buddies that own GT3/GT3RS/GT2RS are all unanimous is saying they wont even consider daily driving them because they are too noisy and harsh. Heck practically all if them trailer them to the track because they are too uncomfortable to drive to and from the track.

On the other hand, my 992TT is very liveable form a daily/road trip perspective. It has enough room to schlepp my wife and two young kids and enough room carry some luggage and shopping goods while remaining perfectly comfortable/drivable. It only gets limited for bigger shopping such a furniture or lumbar yard stuff, but we have the RS6 for that.

I do agree that it's all a question of compromise and where one is willing to draw the line.
I was referring more to the common variants rather than the GT cars. I do agree that those cars require even more compromise(s) to drive daily….

….although I would love to have the option to daily drive a GT3/RS.
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321115.00
      07-08-2022, 07:30 PM   #154
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I was referring more to the common variants rather than the GT cars. I do agree that those cars require even more compromise(s) to drive daily….

….although I would love to have the option to daily drive a GT3/RS.
Saw a new Targa, carmine red, at Home Depot today. Think I fell in love. Come on, nothing says "daily driver" like a trip to HD for a sprinkler. Came home to look up pricing and availability of my new dream daily driver....and immediately broke up with that idea, ha.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24980.50
NYCMT135.00
bri10425895.00