BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

04-02-2024, 11:44 AM   #1
John99GSX
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp Xdrive

Coolant leak at reservoir?

Hello,

2024 M3 comp xdrive. Did a search and not finding much on the G80's with this issue.

Found a bunch on the F80's issues with leaking coolant at the reservoir either the hoses or the box itself.

anyone else run into this on the g80 yet?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 01:41 PM   #2
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
That's quite a leak, take it in.
      04-02-2024, 02:31 PM   #3
John99GSX
United_States
Rep

I am scheduled to go in next Wednesday.

Have not had any temp or coolant notices yet. Sitting at 2,126 miles right now.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 03:10 PM   #4
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Yeah, that’s a bad reservoir. That needs to be replaced, the top seam on it is leaking.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 03:40 PM   #5
John99GSX
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
Yeah, that’s a bad reservoir. That needs to be replaced, the top seam on it is leaking.
Yes exactly what I thought from the info and pics I found related the the F80's. Just had not seen anyone posting about it on the G80.

It was smaller and I thought a hose/clamp, but after wiping it down and driving it a few days that is what it looked like.

Hopefully they have the part and I don't have to wait forever for it to come in.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 01:11 PM   #6
John99GSX
United_States
Rep

Well they said its the hose that runs up to the first connector causing it.
Had to order it (2 days) so back in next week to get it replaced. If it were the reservoir it would have been a 20 day part order.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 01:23 PM   #7
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John99GSX View Post
Had to order it (2 days) so back in next week to get it replaced. If it were the reservoir it would have been a 20 day part order.
It's 20 days because I'm ahead in line waiting for one

The idea behind me losing coolant seems to be the threads and the cap aren't sealing well enough so I get to find coolant residue at different parts of the reservoir. Already replaced the cap with no luck.

Something to keep an eye on if you're seeing less and less coolant in there.
Attached Images

04-13-2024, 03:19 PM   #8
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John99GSX View Post
You’ve got some idiot mechanics working at your dealership. If it was the hose, it would be localized to around that area and considering the coolant isn’t leaking at that fitting and flowing all the way around to that one spot where it’s squirting out of the seam and getting on your intake box cover, it’s not the hose or just the hose. At that one spot in one of the photos, it’s literally and downward drip from the seam with no coolant on either side behind a 1-2mm seam seep when it’s hot and under high pressure… it’s enough to squirt your intake box and collect in the honeycomb on its edge construction.

Dumbasses is all I can say. Sorry bro… be prepared to go in again for the tank replacement after they waste your time with the hose.
Appreciate 2
      04-14-2024, 10:37 AM   #9
John99GSX
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You’ve got some idiot mechanics working at your dealership. If it was the hose, it would be localized to around that area and considering the coolant isn’t leaking at that fitting and flowing all the way around to that one spot where it’s squirting out of the seam and getting on your intake box cover, it’s not the hose or just the hose. At that one spot in one of the photos, it’s literally and downward drip from the seam with no coolant on either side behind a 1-2mm seam seep when it’s hot and under high pressure… it’s enough to squirt your intake box and collect in the honeycomb on its edge construction.

Dumbasses is all I can say. Sorry bro… be prepared to go in again for the tank replacement after they waste your time with the hose.
I thought so as well, but they said none of the clamp connectors or other hose connectors were leaking. Think they noticed the drips from the hose which is not pressurized and in the video they send the tech said it then runs around the edges, not sure the logic on how it would hit the airbox that way unless I'm doing high speed in reverse.

I had to talk to the head tech as they tried to say the hose never fails and "might have" been hit by something to cause it. I then asked them to show me where it had damage, a mark on the hose, or anything to support that and they decided to cover it. Not sure why I had to even go that far, but 1 battle at a time.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 12:12 PM   #10
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Yeah, based on that last paragraph alone and their attitude about it, they’re straight up dumbasses. Lol

Sorry dude and good luck, you might end up fighting with them on this once based on all that mindless idiocy. I don’t know where some of these mechanics get their certs or even experience and common sense in the field.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 08:25 AM   #11
John99GSX
United_States
Rep

update: I have done some driving since the hose replacement and have not had any additional coolant show up yet so it does seem that was the cause of all the mess.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 11:26 AM   #12
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

That’s good then, but two questions. Have you checked to make sure the coolant level is correct in that reservoir (cold) since the work was done and have you pushed it to get it hot enough to really bump up the pressures a bit more than normal driving where you may be puttering around? Hopefully it’s fixed for you… 🤞
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2024, 05:02 PM   #13
John99GSX
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That’s good then, but two questions. Have you checked to make sure the coolant level is correct in that reservoir (cold) since the work was done and have you pushed it to get it hot enough to really bump up the pressures a bit more than normal driving where you may be puttering around? Hopefully it’s fixed for you… 🤞
Yes coolant was topped off at the dealer and I checked the level cold. I have also done a good bit of driving sprinting through some curves and a few pulls against other cars. Will continue to monitor it but so far nothing new showing up.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 07:07 PM   #14
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

👍 Glad it’s fixed then. Guess I was wrong by what I saw.
Appreciate 0