home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-09-2024, 11:19 PM   #1
CHI2PC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3CX / 2023 Tesla M3P

Exhaust Flap Rattle with SST Valve Controller

I installed the SST valve controller on my 2024 G80 comp xdrive and all 4 modes initially worked, but I noticed that when in stock/serial mode (I.e., button “c”) and the M exhaust button was on, the exhaust flap on the passenger side rattled like crazy at idle. Interestingly enough, when I turned the M exhaust button off, the rattle went away (and the valve controller was still in stock/serial mode). Further, when I unplugged the valve controller on the passenger side and reverted it back to stock wiring, the rattle went away completely (regardless as to whether the M exhaust button was on or off).

I also started to notice a faint rattle on the driver side controller as well (I had left the SST controller plugged in on that side and left it in stock/serial mode).

I was able to return the controller (and all rattles gone since reverting to stock), but now SST has communicated that they aren’t sure a replacement controller will “fix the issue unique to my car”.

Has anyone else had experience with this? I would think it’s related to spring tension on the flaps, but the flaps don’t rattle without the SST and presumably the car is operating as stock with the SST installed and in serial/stock mode, so my instincts say it has something to do with the SST controller and the bypass/stock function.

All thoughts/input welcome.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 12:29 AM   #2
christianb5s4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Built 2001 Audi S4

Plenty have rattle even with mild mods like midpipe. Myself included.

My opinion is it's a resonance thing at certain frequencies.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 02:00 AM   #3
CHI2PC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3CX / 2023 Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianb5s4 View Post
Plenty have rattle even with mild mods like midpipe. Myself included.

My opinion is it's a resonance thing at certain frequencies.
Agree it seems possible if you have exhaust mods, but my exhaust is stock and didn’t rattle whatsoever prior to the controller, and doesn’t rattle send I removed the controller. With the controller on and set to stock/serial mode, you would think it would be no different than when I didn’t have the controller (i.e., no rattle).
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 09:59 AM   #4
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHI2PC View Post
Agree it seems possible if you have exhaust mods, but my exhaust is stock and didn’t rattle whatsoever prior to the controller, and doesn’t rattle send I removed the controller. With the controller on and set to stock/serial mode, you would think it would be no different than when I didn’t have the controller (i.e., no rattle).
Not really sure these work when its in "stock mode". But its sounds like its not closing fully or at least not at the same close pressure as it was without the controller. It may hit full close and back off a tiny bit.

Doesn't really make sense but if its rattle its a close pressure issue.
Appreciate 0