BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

08-22-2023, 06:34 PM   #89
Seanhfx
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY23 M3 Comp Edition 50 Jahre

So I have very similar symptoms, stumble start when Cold and warm.

MY23 M3 Comp Jahre - Aug 2022 build

I got the car end of Oct 22 and didn't drive it much because it was getting PPF, etc.. and then into storage.

Started driving the car in mid April and started to notice the odd stumble start. Happened 4 times before break in service so didn't mention it June 23rd with 1,999 kms. Kept a log and video of starts.

Now at 4900 kms. In total, stumble or long hard start has occurred 9 times cold start, and 10 times (other starts after car is sitting for hours). I have the odd occasion of OK cold start to move the car out of the garage to wash it, and then to move it back it stumbles, or vice versa.

Anyway, it was happening more frequently end of July so I booked service - 3 week wait. They had it most of the day and could find any issues. I supplied videos and actually a log of when it happened and how long before it last happened. The result - "you can't tell by the idrive 8 digital display".
You can actually here the stumble without looking at the video.

End of the day, they said, no issues, no codes, idle is normal and no damage can be done to drive it. This was yesterday. Today, 2 drives, and stumble starts, cold start and 2nd drive about 8 hrs later, worst stumble yet, almost stalled and strong smell of fuel. RPMs were bouncing, so shut it off / on again, and started fine.

Then I get one of those email from the dealer, your complete satisfaction is required for BMW survey.

I found this thread yesterday and will update. 5 weeks for next service appt?

Service booked for a few days for diagnosis starting Sept 12th.
2017 340i xDrive

Last edited by Seanhfx; 08-23-2023 at 12:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 03:13 PM   #90
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
At 4k miles now and still having the same intermittent issue. There's no rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes I'll go a week without anything, other times it'll happen through multiple starts in a day. Sometimes it's subtle, sometimes it's an extended crank that fails completely to turn over, resulting in another push of the start button. The car drives flawlessly otherwise.

I think I'm going to keep building evidence before scheduling service. I have a few videos that should work. I reaaalllyy don't want to ditch my car for a few weeks only for them to "find nothing".

Anybody else have this fixed recently and can provide a write up like figuec56 did?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 07:23 PM   #91
Patsfan1997
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition M xDrive

I know I've said this before, but there are enough of us with this exact same issue at this point that BMW should have this documented with root cause and solution, symptoms, etc. for reference by dealers receiving this complaint from their customers. It's very disappointing that this is not a "done deal."

I am having way too much fun driving my car to want to drop it off with BMW for a week only for them to tell me they found no issues. I emailed sound clips and a copy of the service report and associated fix from the OP to my SA and he of course gave me the canned response - no fault code = no issue. That's complete and utter BS.

The only reason I haven't escalated this way up at BMW is because 1) I don't have the time and 2) once it finally starts, it drives perfectly.
      10-01-2023, 07:24 PM   #92
Patsfan1997
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I know I've said this before, but there are enough of us with this exact same issue at this point that BMW should have this documented with root cause and solution, symptoms, etc. for reference by dealers receiving this complaint from their customers. It's very disappointing that this is not a "done deal."

I am having way too much fun driving my car to want to drop it off with BMW for a week only for them to tell me they found no issues. I emailed sound clips and a copy of the service report and associated fix from the OP to my SA and he of course gave me the canned response - no fault code = no issue. That's complete and utter BS.

The only reason I haven't escalated this way up at BMW is because 1) I don't have the time and 2) once it finally starts, it drives perfectly.
      10-06-2023, 06:42 PM   #93
SoCalDrummer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3C, 2020 M4 Heritage (re

I’m experiencing the same issue with my 23 G80 M3C (long crank, stumble start). My engine has stalled on startup 4 times and I’ve been escalating this with BMWNA. It’s been passed to their regional team to decide what to do next. Taking it back to the dealer for the 3rd time on Monday now that I captured the failed start on video.

Startup Stall Video
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00
      10-07-2023, 08:09 AM   #94
Seanhfx
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

So I cancelled my service appt in Sept for diagnosis of this problem as I didn't think they would find anything.

I too have sent them video clips, and was told, normal. Most people don't know how M cars start, blah blah blah. I was having long starts for a bit, but it is the stumble start that is most prevalent. When I took in for break in service, I was told that the digital display was the problem as it can't update fast enough, or something stupid.

Now with cooler weather, I haven't had the issue, but don't drive the car as much. I found the problem to be worst when parking it after a drive for >4 < 18 hours in the heat of the summer in my garage.

Will see what happens next summer, I just don't want to leave it with them for a week, only to be told, no faults, no problem, even though there is certainly an issue under specific conditions.
2017 340i xDrive
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00
      10-10-2023, 04:55 AM   #95
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 m3c

This is a primitive issue with a primitive fix. Insist on escalation. Do not keep the car with a leaking injector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamlord View Post
BMW HQ definitely knows about this, insist they escalate it and refer to multiple cases. They have to find the leaky injector and replace, along with the spark plug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan1997 View Post
So today I took my car in for the 2000km break-in service. I had emailed the SA about the issue, included a sound clip of the slow start, and a copy of the report that was posted by the OP that finally got the issue resolved. I got the same "no code, no issue" BS. I told him I don't care about a code, it's an issue and it needs to be fixed. So he asked me to bring it back on a Monday so I can leave for a few days for them to test. I'm in no rush to leave my car there now that there are no limitations on how I can drive it, but today, after leaving it parked for about 6 hours, the slow start was such that it almost stalled. So, I might have to take it back soon. Very frustrating. You would think by now, BMW would have this issue documented with an associate fix, given so many people are having the exact same symptoms. Geez!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanhfx View Post
So I have very similar symptoms, stumble start when Cold and warm.

MY23 M3 Comp Jahre - Aug 2022 build

I got the car end of Oct 22 and didn't drive it much because it was getting PPF, etc.. and then into storage.

Started driving the car in mid April and started to notice the odd stumble start. Happened 4 times before break in service so didn't mention it June 23rd with 1,999 kms. Kept a log and video of starts.

Now at 4900 kms. In total, stumble or long hard start has occurred 9 times cold start, and 10 times (other starts after car is sitting for hours). I have the odd occasion of OK cold start to move the car out of the garage to wash it, and then to move it back it stumbles, or vice versa.

Anyway, it was happening more frequently end of July so I booked service - 3 week wait. They had it most of the day and could find any issues. I supplied videos and actually a log of when it happened and how long before it last happened. The result - "you can't tell by the idrive 8 digital display".
You can actually here the stumble without looking at the video.

End of the day, they said, no issues, no codes, idle is normal and no damage can be done to drive it. This was yesterday. Today, 2 drives, and stumble starts, cold start and 2nd drive about 8 hrs later, worst stumble yet, almost stalled and strong smell of fuel. RPMs were bouncing, so shut it off / on again, and started fine.

Then I get one of those email from the dealer, your complete satisfaction is required for BMW survey.

I found this thread yesterday and will update. 5 weeks for next service appt?

Service booked for a few days for diagnosis starting Sept 12th.
Quote:
So I cancelled my service appt in Sept for diagnosis of this problem as I didn't think they would find anything.

I too have sent them video clips, and was told, normal. Most people don't know how M cars start, blah blah blah. I was having long starts for a bit, but it is the stumble start that is most prevalent. When I took in for break in service, I was told that the digital display was the problem as it can't update fast enough, or something stupid.

Now with cooler weather, I haven't had the issue, but don't drive the car as much. I found the problem to be worst when parking it after a drive for >4 < 18 hours in the heat of the summer in my garage.

Will see what happens next summer, I just don't want to leave it with them for a week, only to be told, no faults, no problem, even though there is certainly an issue under specific conditions.
Appreciate 2
M4Tejas788.00
NicolasB808.00
      10-25-2023, 07:10 PM   #96
Patsfan1997
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Unlike many of the OPs on this thread, for whom the slow start happens often or sometimes, my slow start happens pretty much every single time I do a warm start. Not very reassuring. Once the weather gets crappy here, I'll drop off the car at BMW and tell them I don't want to hear about the BS "no fault = no issue" and to just change the damn leaky injector.

Question for the group: Is there some sort of test they can do to identify a leaky injector, or do they just need to replace it, and if the issue disappears, then it confirm that was the cause?
      10-25-2023, 08:07 PM   #97
figuec56
Daniel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 330eX

Garage List
2023 BMW 330ex  [0.00]
[QUOTE=Patsfan1997;30599677]

They just pulled out a fuel injector and noticed it was flooded. I had several videos and they had it for 3 weeks before they found it.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2023, 02:49 AM   #98
Drno690
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
This is a primitive issue with a primitive fix. Insist on escalation. Do not keep the car with a leaking injector.
Were you able to get your issue resolved and if so what was the problem?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 05:55 PM   #99
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drno690 View Post
Were you able to get your issue resolved and if so what was the problem?
Yes. Leaky injector. You have the exact same issue. Make them pull outinjectors and don't take a no for an answer. The issue is way too common.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 05:48 PM   #100
Seanhfx
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yes. Leaky injector. You have the exact same issue. Make them pull outinjectors and don't take a no for an answer. The issue is way too common.
I have the exact same symptoms for this problem and in the heat of the summer it was really bad. Now that I'm not driving the car much between drives, with the temperature and humidity much lower, I'm not having these symptoms. It's only happened twice in the last 20 starts.

In the summer, the garage was getting 80-90 F, and if I started the car within 24 hours after the turning it off, stumble starts and some with very long stumble starts.

I'll be taking it in next summer for diagnosis, and calling BMW Canada before hand telling them I have dozens of videos showing the stumble starts but the dealer won't do anything unless they see it. When I took it in for initial diagnosis, they blamed the iDrive display even though you can hear the stumble.
2017 340i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 04:51 PM   #101
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have the exact same symptoms for this problem and in the heat of the summer it was really bad. Now that I'm not driving the car much between drives, with the temperature and humidity much lower, I'm not having these symptoms. It's only happened twice in the last 20 starts.

In the summer, the garage was getting 80-90 F, and if I started the car within 24 hours after the turning it off, stumble starts and some with very long stumble starts.

I'll be taking it in next summer for diagnosis, and calling BMW Canada before hand telling them I have dozens of videos showing the stumble starts but the dealer won't do anything unless they see it. When I took it in for initial diagnosis, they blamed the iDrive display even though you can hear the stumble.
Don't mean to be rude but..your car has a serious issue (read up how badly a leaky injector can damage your engine eventually) and you are saying you can't make the dealer pull out the iniectors? Find another one or threaten this one, do whatever it takes but have this done.
You have exact same problem 1000%.
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6599.00
      11-06-2023, 01:48 PM   #102
Seanhfx
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Don't mean to be rude but..your car has a serious issue (read up how badly a leaky injector can damage your engine eventually) and you are saying you can't make the dealer pull out the iniectors? Find another one or threaten this one, do whatever it takes but have this done.
You have exact same problem 1000%.
I don't take that being rude.

I'm just confused why it's not happening now and did happen every 2nd or 3rd start in the summer.

As for another dealer, lol, the only other dealer is 2.5 hours away in a different province.
2017 340i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 01:33 PM   #103
relubwu
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

+1 victim here, G87 instead, https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2061713
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 05:37 PM   #104
figuec56
Daniel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 330eX

Garage List
2023 BMW 330ex  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by relubwu View Post
The first time it appeared for me was driving home from the performance delivery after stopping at rest stop. I thought it was a fluke initially. I have a good relationship with my dealer and it still took 3 tries, 6 videos, and 3 weeks for them to figure out.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 04:44 PM   #105
relubwu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by figuec56 View Post
The first time it appeared for me was driving home from the performance delivery after stopping at rest stop. I thought it was a fluke initially. I have a good relationship with my dealer and it still took 3 tries, 6 videos, and 3 weeks for them to figure out.
Rip, on try 1 now and they were “unable to replicate the issue”
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 02:30 PM   #106
relubwu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbo79 View Post
I brought the car three times already, and not once were they able to recreate the issue.
BMW themselves consider it an issue though and they confirmed it in writing.
Currently, as ordered by BMW, they are pulling out, examining and noting serial numbers on all of the injectors, checking spark plugs an doing some additional testing.
Likely have to go down the same route

Dealer took it for two days and "wasn't able to replicate". From the BMW app it shows that they only took it from their garage to the workshop, which likely didn't warm the engine up enough & let it sit long enough to have the leakage manifest. Spoke to the shop foreman yesterday and they need to keep it for a few extra days to test-drive. According to them, TSE is coming next Monday to have a look.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 02:57 AM   #107
relubwu
Rep

Update 11/17: dealer replicated the issue, speculated fuel problem. Awaiting BMW engineer to check on 11/20.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 02:30 PM   #108
relubwu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbo79 View Post
Mine also was stalling while driving… or did not start up at all.
In my humble opinion, either too much fuel or no fuel at all.
Hope it's getting fixed soon!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 09:17 PM   #109
relubwu
Rep

Update 11/20:

A BMW field rep came to the dealership for an inspection. They pulled the spark plugs and found fuel residual on #2 and #3. All plugs looks unreasonably burnt as well (current odometer 222mi):

They updated the TSARA case and now awaiting TSE reply.
Appreciate 2
      11-24-2023, 12:41 PM   #110
SoCalDrummer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3C, 2020 M4 Heritage (re

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDrummer View Post
I’m experiencing the same issue with my 23 G80 M3C (long crank, stumble start). My engine has stalled on startup 4 times and I’ve been escalating this with BMWNA. It’s been passed to their regional team to decide what to do next. Taking it back to the dealer for the 3rd time on Monday now that I captured the failed start on video.

Startup Stall Video
Update: My SA just told me that they found a faulty fuel rail pressure sensor and replaced it. The car is going through QC and believe we finally solved this issue. This took 5 service visits to solve but glad we got to the bottom of it.
Appreciate 1
NicolasB808.00