BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

04-09-2023, 03:01 PM   #67
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamlord View Post
You definitely need to go to another dealer. This doesn't sound like a place you would want to work on an M car.
I’m half tempted to drive the 2 hours to the dealership I purchased from. I called the sales manager yesterday and he said he’d take care of me if I make the drive. I have more confidence with them for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 08:48 PM   #68
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

beamlord have you noticed a “lurch” when slightly pressing the accelerator from a coast? For example, when I am cruising at 40-50 mph in 4th gear, let off the gas pedal and coast, when I put a little bit of acceleratation through the gas pedal the drive train takes a second to catch or something. The RPM also jitters as well during that time.

Not sure if that’s normal for the M3 but it feels odd. My two X5’s didn’t feel that way at all.

Not sure if the M3 being a manual makes any difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 07:13 AM   #69
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 m3c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneartistry View Post
beamlord have you noticed a “lurch” when slightly pressing the accelerator from a coast? For example, when I am cruising at 40-50 mph in 4th gear, let off the gas pedal and coast, when I put a little bit of acceleratation through the gas pedal the drive train takes a second to catch or something. The RPM also jitters as well during that time.

Not sure if that’s normal for the M3 but it feels odd. My two X5’s didn’t feel that way at all.

Not sure if the M3 being a manual makes any difference.
Mine is automatic, so can't speak to that effect, but could be very well related to the injector/fouled spark plug.
On automatic gearbox, I guess the electronic do their thing and rev up so that the misfire isn't as noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 08:25 PM   #70
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Just picked up my G80 about two weeks ago and I've started to notice this. Some starts are really labored. The engine takes a while to turn over, similar to an older car. It doesn't happen every time, but it's definitely off putting for a brand new $90k car. I have my 1,200 mile service on Friday. Guess I'll have it addressed then.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 12:33 AM   #71
M4_ZMT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 i3S, '01 325i

I'm definitely following this. I have the unsteady idle, but not one long crank, even after sitting! No fuel smell either. Very odd. I have 6MT just for what it is worth. For people that have had a faulty injector and had it repaired, is there any way you can take a video of the RPM guage after warmed up at idle? I think some of the super tiny variations everyone is saying normal, but I'm just now more confused than ever.

Thanks for anyone willing to contribute more information regarding this.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 01:26 AM   #72
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exar Kun View Post
Just picked up my G80 about two weeks ago and I've started to notice this. Some starts are really labored. The engine takes a while to turn over, similar to an older car. It doesn't happen every time, but it's definitely off putting for a brand new $90k car. I have my 1,200 mile service on Friday. Guess I'll have it addressed then.
Definitely same symptoms, can't be a coincidence that several cars, across continents (different OPF, different gas) are having exact same problem.
Appreciate 1
nosbocaj695.00
      04-13-2023, 10:10 PM   #73
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
I have the same issue since the car was new. I have 3000 miles on it and it is mostly when the car is cold. Also slight rough idle sometimes when the car is warm. It makes me feel it might stall sometimes. The car is 2023 G82 automatic purchased new in Dec. I have never experienced such a thing in any other M car that I had. Calling the dealer tomorrow to get an appointment. I love this community you guys are great.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 12:14 PM   #74
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race_Doc11 View Post
I have the same issue since the car was new. I have 3000 miles on it and it is mostly when the car is cold. Also slight rough idle sometimes when the car is warm. It makes me feel it might stall sometimes. The car is 2023 G82 automatic purchased new in Dec. I have never experienced such a thing in any other M car that I had. Calling the dealer tomorrow to get an appointment. I love this community you guys are great.
And then some people say this is just a minor quality issue..
No way. Just a few days on this forum and few people randomly finding this thread (imagine how many are out there who didn't find it?) and it's already at least 6 different cases.
This is a serious goddamn issue.
Mark my words, eventually there will be an SIB on this, of course after us initial victims have gone through all the pain of having to deal and convince clueless service advisors at the dealers...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 03:25 AM   #75
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just dropped my car off...
Wish me luck...

Got a strangely smooth riding portimao blue 420i GC as a loaner.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 03:45 PM   #76
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
No way. Just a few days on this forum and few people randomly finding this thread (imagine how many are out there who didn't find it?) and it's already at least 6 different cases.
Mark my words, eventually there will be an SIB on this, of course after us initial victims have gone through all the pain of having to deal and convince clueless service advisors at the dealers...
I mentioned it at my 1,200 mile service on Friday. I showed them a video too. They looked into it and sure enough, "found nothing". This is an M and COE dealership too...

Guess I'll just let it ride and make a bigger stink later if it continues. Oddly it hasn't happened since the service.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 04:30 PM   #77
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exar Kun View Post
I mentioned it at my 1,200 mile service on Friday. I showed them a video too. They looked into it and sure enough, "found nothing". This is an M and COE dealership too...

Guess I'll just let it ride and make a bigger stink later if it continues. Oddly it hasn't happened since the service.
That's exactly how it was during my break in service, they just check for stored errors and told me there were none that are current, so nothing is wrong.

At that point I wrote a long and very assertive email both to aftersales and copying my SA who sold me the car and requested this be treated with highest attention. Also, that they should be happy I am potentially helping them diagnose an issue which, if not treated, would potentially cost BMW much more in warranty repairs later on.

So they made a special several days long appointment and looking into the issue as we speak, contacting the country BMW HQ etc.

Of course, it may still end with "everything is fine" but I plan to push them as hard as possible. Oddly enough, just like you said, the long crank hasn't happened in the recent few days prior to this service. But it really doesn't matter, it has happened several times, plus fuel smell from exhaust, and cannot be normal.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 04:37 PM   #78
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
The dealer wants to keep the car for couple of days so I’m going back on the 27th. The issue didn’t happen as bad since but I still have a bouncy idle. I hope the dealer will be able to replicate the issue although they said the idle should not bounce like that. I will keep everyone posted.
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 06:13 PM   #79
Poffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

We have this issue on our X3M (Also S58 powered), digging into it and will post an update if we find what the issue is. Dealerships have been pretty worthless around here, so I'm taking matters into my own hands.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 08:38 PM   #80
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Race_Doc11 Poffman

Any updates?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 10:41 PM   #81
Poffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
Race_Doc11 Poffman

Any updates?
I’ve been out of town, will keep you posted! I’ll tear it open one of these upcoming weekends. I’m going to install a catch can, not sure if this is blowby but either way going to do that.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2023, 09:48 AM   #82
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Race_Doc11 Poffman

Any updates?
As I expected they said no codes were restored and it’s normal. The bouncy idle is due to the sensitive digital indicator which I completely disagreed with. According to the SA keep complaining about it and then they will open a case with BMW. The long crank has not happened since but the bouncy idle is there not just visual but felt as well

Last edited by Race_Doc11; 05-08-2023 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
Poffman493.00
      07-28-2023, 09:40 PM   #83
Patsfan1997
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition M xDrive

Thank god for this forum! I have this issue too - occasional slow starts (usually on cold start) and a stutter while starting. Will let my dealer know before I do the 1200 miles service in case they've seen this on other cars and can pre-order injector but I will definitely not leave my car there if they have to order the parts from Germany. Hopefully they don't give me the old "no fault codes so no issues" BS.

P.S. I am really disappointed that I'm having this issue on a brand new premium car that cost me well over $100k.
      07-28-2023, 09:58 PM   #84
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan1997 View Post
Thank god for this forum! I have this issue too - occasional slow starts (usually on cold start) and a stutter while starting. Will let my dealer know before I do the 1200 miles service in case they've seen this on other cars and can pre-order injector but I will definitely not leave my car there if they have to order the parts from Germany. Hopefully they don't give me the old "no fault codes so no issues" BS.

P.S. I am really disappointed that I'm having this issue on a brand new premium car that cost me well over $100k.
Please provide updates.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 04:07 PM   #85
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

BMW HQ definitely knows about this, insist they escalate it and refer to multiple cases. They have to find the leaky injector and replace, along with the spark plug.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 05:10 PM   #86
Patsfan1997
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgelfen360 View Post
Please provide updates.
Will do. Today it happened after my car was parked for about an hour. Took a couple seconds to start. Ugh.
      08-05-2023, 11:21 AM   #87
Eris496
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i/2023 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:

Long cranks has been happening on my b58 since 8k miles, now it is 21k miles. Had it serviced twice and let two different dealers check it. Every time took about 3 weeks. Basically “ no codes no issues” bs. I kind of think this is what they are told by bmw to deal with this kind of issue? They don’t think it’s injector, if I wanted to check, spend money. I won’t spend money on fixing their qa issue.
I used an OBD to check the rail pressure after shutting down the engine. Pressure held and increased a bit, so injectors are fine. After services, the issue did happen less and not severe as before. Still don’t know why.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 07:54 PM   #88
Patsfan1997
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

So today I took my car in for the 2000km break-in service. I had emailed the SA about the issue, included a sound clip of the slow start, and a copy of the report that was posted by the OP that finally got the issue resolved. I got the same "no code, no issue" BS. I told him I don't care about a code, it's an issue and it needs to be fixed. So he asked me to bring it back on a Monday so I can leave for a few days for them to test. I'm in no rush to leave my car there now that there are no limitations on how I can drive it, but today, after leaving it parked for about 6 hours, the slow start was such that it almost stalled. So, I might have to take it back soon. Very frustrating. You would think by now, BMW would have this issue documented with an associate fix, given so many people are having the exact same symptoms. Geez!