BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

12-08-2023, 11:17 PM   #1
WarpFactor11
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Comp

"Head Unit" Dead

2022 M4 comp xDrive with ~8.5k miles: Started my car this morning only to discover the instrument cluster and HUD were not functioning (dark inst cluster screen and no HUD)... Also, the green circle for the intelligent safety features was dark (that little green/amber circle/button on the dash). The only thing that was working was the infotainment system and the ECU. Took to the dealer this morning and this evening they informed me the "Head Unit" was faulty and had to be replaced.

Has this happened to any other G8X owners?

Also (yes I googled it) cannot get a clear description of what the "Head Unit" is/does. I think it must aggregate data from other systems and feed it to the inst cluster etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 12:23 AM   #2
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Depends on what they mean by the head unit. There's a module in the car that controls the screens and display elements, the control of that is part of the Head Unit area in the ECU itself, but there's a separate "controller" that's part of the iDrive system.

Did you basically just drive it blind to the dealer? That sounds pretty harrowing but I imagine you just went slow lol
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 02:21 AM   #3
WarpFactor11
Rep

A little harrowing but, the dealer is only about 10mi from me so I just kept with the flow of traffic (non-highway). Just a little surprised with this level of a system failure on a car with low miles.

This is the 6th BMW I have owned and the previous 5 had no issues at all so I guess I can't complain.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 10:47 AM   #4
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Interested to know what happened. Keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 10:59 AM   #5
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpFactor11 View Post
A little harrowing but, the dealer is only about 10mi from me so I just kept with the flow of traffic (non-highway). Just a little surprised with this level of a system failure on a car with low miles.

This is the 6th BMW I have owned and the previous 5 had no issues at all so I guess I can't complain.
Quite rare, and yeah probably just a defective unit. There's bound to be at least one in anything made nowadays, just unlucky it happened to you.

A replacement should get you squared away, no problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 08:31 PM   #6
WarpFactor11
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Quite rare, and yeah probably just a defective unit. There's bound to be at least one in anything made nowadays, just unlucky it happened to you.

A replacement should get you squared away, no problem.
Yup that is exactly what they did (the dealer). The instrument control module was deader than a doornail. They replaced the instrument cluster and reprogramed...everything works now. I am surprised they had one in stock... The supply chain must be getting healthier.

As a side note, they gave me a 330i as a loner over the weekend and after driving that around all weekend and then getting back in my M4 this morning made me realize (again) how ridiculous (in a good way) the G8x are in terms of power and overall driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 11:16 PM   #7
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpFactor11 View Post
Yup that is exactly what they did (the dealer). The instrument control module was deader than a doornail. They replaced the instrument cluster and reprogramed...everything works now. I am surprised they had one in stock... The supply chain must be getting healthier.

As a side note, they gave me a 330i as a loner over the weekend and after driving that around all weekend and then getting back in my M4 this morning made me realize (again) how ridiculous (in a good way) the G8x are in terms of power and overall driving experience.
Well that's the nice thing about production parity, your head unit is the exact same as one sold in every 2019-2022 3-series and 4-series

For them to have stock is not really that surprising. They just program yours to tell it it's in an M4 and not a 430i
Appreciate 0