BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-23-2024, 01:05 PM   #1
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

pads warning light

On Thursday I've done my third track day with my car.
Car has 7K-8K KMs on it. While tracking it, I usually do not do sessions that are longer than 10 minutes.
After my last session (trying to keep up with a Cayman T :-)), a pads warning light just turned on. I need to do my first service in 600 miles so I'll take it next Tuesday for the service and for the pads.

Is that normal?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 01:36 PM   #2
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Take a look at the pads from the bottom of the caliper (part closest to center of brake disc where the lugs are) and you should be able to see how much pad you have left. But yeah, if you’re hard on the brakes, the pads will get eaten up. Always make it a habit to check all 4 corners like this as you can easily see how much pad you have left so you can decide if you wanna lay off the hard driving for a while if you don’t wanna keep going through pads.

More importantly, when you say “First Service” do you mean your first one AFTER your initial 1200mile one or just your first one ever since new period? Because you might have other things to worry about than pads if it’s the latter.
Appreciate 3
      03-23-2024, 05:14 PM   #3
MMnut
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

The pad light is on when the sensor wire got broken and at that point, the pad still has about 4mm of life left. That considers still plenty (the brand new pad is about 10mm so you get the idea).
Appreciate 1
rideontwo189.50
      03-24-2024, 03:44 PM   #4
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
Take a look at the pads from the bottom of the caliper (part closest to center of brake disc where the lugs are) and you should be able to see how much pad you have left. But yeah, if you’re hard on the brakes, the pads will get eaten up. Always make it a habit to check all 4 corners like this as you can easily see how much pad you have left so you can decide if you wanna lay off the hard driving for a while if you don’t wanna keep going through pads.

More importantly, when you say “First Service” do you mean your first one AFTER your initial 1200mile one or just your first one ever since new period? Because you might have other things to worry about than pads if it’s the latter.
I see. Will check that tomorrow.

I mean first after the break in period service. I did my 1200 mile break in period even tighier than what is recomanded (first 1000 KMs hasn't passed the 4000 RPM mark and the second 1000 KMs up to 5000 RPMs) :-). Coming from a lot slower cars, it wasn't so bad. The car is still very fast even up to 4000 RPMs :-)

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 03:45 PM   #5
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMnut View Post
The pad light is on when the sensor wire got broken and at that point, the pad still has about 4mm of life left. That considers still plenty (the brand new pad is about 10mm so you get the idea).
Germans will always be Germans
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 03:51 PM   #6
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Been to the service today. WOW... two rear pads so expensive :-(

BTW, forgot to check the pads before getting to the service. Will monitor them carefully from now on.
Appreciate 1
rideontwo189.50
      03-26-2024, 03:56 PM   #7
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Yeah, dealers will rip you off on stock parts. Look into other better options for pads (if you’re not carbon brakes) and they’ll generally be a better compound and cost less. Labor will always be labor if you don’t do the work yourself, but since it’s a consumable, might as well get better parts for your money than overpriced stock stuff.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2024, 03:17 PM   #8
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, dealers will rip you off on stock parts. Look into other better options for pads (if you’re not carbon brakes) and they’ll generally be a better compound and cost less. Labor will always be labor if you don’t do the work yourself, but since it’s a consumable, might as well get better parts for your money than overpriced stock stuff.
I know that but am afraid to loose my warrenty. Cars are too expensive here (I'm not from the US) to play with that

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 04:14 PM   #9
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingikra View Post
I know that but am afraid to loose my warrenty. Cars are too expensive here (I'm not from the US) to play with that

Thanks
Lol, you won’t lose your warranty for running non BMW pads. Whomever told you that is violating manufacturer warranty rules. Pads are pads, it’s a consumable.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 05:41 PM   #10
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
On Thursday I've done my third track day with my car.
Car has 7K-8K KMs on it. While tracking it, I usually do not do sessions that are longer than 10 minutes.
After my last session (trying to keep up with a Cayman T :-)), a pads warning light just turned on. I need to do my first service in 600 miles so I'll take it next Tuesday for the service and for the pads.

Is that normal?
Did you have dsc off? If not the car uses the rear brakes to keep you inline, meaning rear brakes get used up a lot if you have traction control on.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 10:39 AM   #11
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Lol, you won’t lose your warranty for running non BMW pads. Whomever told you that is violating manufacturer warranty rules. Pads are pads, it’s a consumable.
You might be right. I need to ask.
What is different here than the US is that it is against the law to change anything in the car. Even if it is better than original. Stupid law.

I'll check about that

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 10:40 AM   #12
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
Did you have dsc off? If not the car uses the rear brakes to keep you inline, meaning rear brakes get used up a lot if you have traction control on.
I'm always starting with DSC on and then changes to MDM. I might have forgotten to change last time.

Intersting
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 11:00 AM   #13
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Yep, in the US at least the only way they can require the use of specific parts as a condition of warranty is if they supply those parts for free.

Last edited by geko29; 03-29-2024 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 11:10 AM   #14
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You might be right. I need to ask.
What is different here than the US is that it is against the law to change anything in the car. Even if it is better than original. Stupid law.

I'll check about that

Thanks
Are you in Dubai by any chance? That would explain some things at that point as that country is super strict over the silliest thing… worse than California.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 01:45 PM   #15
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
I'm always starting with DSC on and then changes to MDM. I might have forgotten to change last time.

Intersting
Thanks
Mdm still uses rear brakes so ya you'll go through them in no time unless you turn dsc off.
Appreciate 1
kingikra121.50
      03-30-2024, 03:08 PM   #16
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Are you in Dubai by any chance? That would explain some things at that point as that country is super strict over the silliest thing… worse than California.
No. I'm from Israel. Same strictness :-(
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 09:24 PM   #17
fl1by
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80, Raptor, STI and C8

Go to the dealer as soon as you can. The algorithm does not leave enough pad to get 600 miles out of them at normal driving rate.. I had pads go from 2400 miles to 400 miles in 4 laps, then to backing pad 1/3 of a lap later. If your not careful the backing pad (steel) and the rotors will stop you, but you'll be needing new rotors.

Set one of your M1 / M2 buttons to the configuration you use on the track, that way you dont forget to turn DSC-MDM off.

Last edited by fl1by; 03-30-2024 at 09:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 03:20 PM   #18
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl1by View Post
Go to the dealer as soon as you can. The algorithm does not leave enough pad to get 600 miles out of them at normal driving rate.. I had pads go from 2400 miles to 400 miles in 4 laps, then to backing pad 1/3 of a lap later. If your not careful the backing pad (steel) and the rotors will stop you, but you'll be needing new rotors.

Set one of your M1 / M2 buttons to the configuration you use on the track, that way you dont forget to turn DSC-MDM off.
I drove almost 8000 KMs (4970 miles) till the light turned on with three track days and not easing on the brakes during daily drive. What do you mean by 600 miles and what should I tell the dealer?

My M1 is my daily and M2 is for track but I'm not sure that I'm skilled enough to turn DSC-MDM off. I'm starting with DSC on to gain confidence and then MDM. Now that I know what it does to the rear pads. I'll give it a try.

Thanks
Appreciate 0