home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

02-06-2024, 08:38 AM   #1
downshiftapex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Not fast enough

Review M3CX - 1 Year and 23,000 miles later

I know it may sound a bit crazy but I was able to log 23,000 miles in a single year. I have had folks ask me if I am worried about depreciation but rest assured I have no regrets driving this beast all over the northeast. She has done trips to NYC, Boston, Rhode Island, DC, New Jersey, and I drove her straight up from PCD in SC back home to CT. Below is my honest review on what the experience has been like. For anyone who is wondering if they should buy an M, DO IT!

Previous Ms owned:
  • E60 M5
  • F10 M5
  • F82 M4

Ordering:
I am eternally grateful and blessed to be able to order my first M but this was a challenge as I wanted MSRP and base rate of 3.9% when looking for allocation. As you can imagine in the northeast that is a challenge as most dealers were looking for $5k to $10k and in some cases $20k over MSRP. Working with a broker I was able to secure allocation that was flipping into production in 2-3 days from a dealer in NC. At first I thought it was too good to be true but they worked with me and I was able to get BMW loyalty as well. The entire transaction was handled online and they paid for a notary to come to my house to have documents notarized. The customer service was nothing but amazing. My order was placed and 2 days later on Nov. 7 it flipped into production and I then took delivery on Feb 2nd of 2023.

Performance Center Delivery:
If you haven't done PCD, I would highly recommend it. Just know that it will delay your delivery by at least 2-3 weeks as there are specific slots that you can sign up for and they get filled up quickly. Mine was delayed by 2 weeks but it was so worth it. You are picked up in an X5 by a BMW rep, your hotel stay is covered, you get $100 credit for the night out the day before delivery, a steak dinner at the hotel, and you get track time with a BMW M certified instructor. I thought I was "fast" but once the instructor takes the wheel they show you what fast truly means. These guys have 2 decades of racing experience really make the class and track time so much fun. My car to track was a RWD G80 M3 Comp in IOMG. This killed me as IOMG was the original color I wanted but got nervous with. You also get to take an X5 off roading which surprised me as they are so capable.

Drive from SC to CT:
This car is so comfortable. No back issues what so ever. The break in period stinks as you want to so badly rip it but you have to keep things tame. I was happy driving it back up as it helped me log the 1,100 miles needed for break in. I wrapped her in XPEL temporary PPF on high impact areas and had no issues what so ever. On the drive up everyone was checking the car out and giving thumbs up which is pretty cool to experience.

Performance:
The car is an absolute beast. Even on the track in my opinion you really don't feel the weight of the car as everything has been dialed in so perfectly by the M engineers. From country back roads, track time, to long drives there is nothing the G8x can handle. I am in love with the transmission for actually being able to put the power down, and with all the torque at hand she wants to take off like a rocket. I really don't think there is much competition in the under $100k category. If you ever get bored of the hp you can tune and downpipe for well over 700hp.

Cons:
While I love the transmission I do miss the DCT from time to time. DCT made the F8x platform enjoyable but it is nice to actually put the power down. I miss the power dome on the hood. Had my engine oil cooler get punctured which was a hassle to get fixed as the '23 LCI had a slight change in the inlet that required 2mm to be cut when replacing with CSF Engine Oil Cooler. Some shops did not feel comfortable with the job. I have no idea why BMW decided placing it at the very bottom of the car with no guard. Dealer wanted to charge me $2k for a stock replacement. Other than that there really is much to complain.

Modifications:
  • CSF Heat Exchanger & Engine Oil Cooler
  • AFe Intake
  • AA Single Non Res MP
  • KW Springs
  • Spacers
  • CSL DRLs & Grill
  • Air Ducts
  • Spoiler
  • Wrap
  • Ceramic Coating & Paint Correction
  • PPF

Only have a tune and a downpipe to go.
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
Skyscraper2196.00
chicagofan0019146.00
cfm56d7b5886.00
snyder268149.50
krm347.00
      02-06-2024, 08:56 AM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Gorgeous build. Enjoy the next 23,000 miles!

About oil coolers: while the location of the oil cooler is not ideal, it's a compromise between required air flow and where to place the oil cooler without affecting the oil circulation. The omission of a guard can be best described as puzzling.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2024, 09:01 AM   #3
downshiftapex
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Gorgeous build. Enjoy the next 23,000 miles!

About oil coolers: while the location of the oil cooler is not ideal, it's a compromise between required air flow and where to place the oil cooler without affecting the oil circulation. The omission of a guard can be best described as puzzling.
Thank you! I am torn between wrapping up the build with the tune + DP or moving onto the next build. I have had a lot of fun and put more miles than some people do in 2-3 years of owning a car lol.

I figured there was a reasoning from BMW and but like you said a guard of been nice.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 12:55 PM   #4
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
PCD no longer includes the free hotel/dinner/breakfast/airport pickup, etc. Only includes the ability to pick up at the PC and partake in the day activities as previously allowed.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2024, 02:00 PM   #5
downshiftapex
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
PCD no longer includes the free hotel/dinner/breakfast/airport pickup, etc. Only includes the ability to pick up at the PC and partake in the day activities as previously allowed.

Thank you for letting me know that is unpleasant to hear.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 06:38 PM   #6
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by downshiftapex View Post
Thank you for letting me know that is unpleasant to hear.
Yeah, it’s disappointing to see the decontenting the PCD option. Especially given that ED is no longer an option at all.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 2
      02-06-2024, 08:28 PM   #7
downshiftapex
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Yeah, it’s disappointing to see the decontenting the PCD option. Especially given that ED is no longer an option at all.
Was there any reasoning to the decision? I feel like BMW is cost cutting in a way that is distasteful for its diehard M fans. First I was told no ED and now this...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 12:26 AM   #8
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

That's a lot of miles in one year. But surely you enjoyed it & got to fully experience what it was like as a daily driver. It's awesome to see people actually enjoying their M cars instead of just collecting them & keeping them pristine in their garage.

2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2024, 07:52 AM   #9
downshiftapex
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
That's a lot of miles in one year. But surely you enjoyed it & got to fully experience what it was like as a daily driver. It's awesome to see people actually enjoying their M cars instead of just collecting them & keeping them pristine in their garage.

I believe that cars should be driven regardless of rain, snow, salt, or whatever. The G8x platform is so capable.
Appreciate 1