BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

02-22-2022, 06:19 AM   #1
M3GALLY
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2020 MDX, 2003 c320

Individual owners with Drivers Assistance Package: is your lane change assist actuall

It's come to our attention that one of our members who has a frozen deep grey m4 has lane change assist functioning stock.

As you may already know when ordering individual colors the configurator states that this feature will have to be disabled if an individual color is ordered.

This may be helpful for people placing future orders.

So is it true??? Do you have an individual color with functional lane change assist? Post the color and model year to so maybe we can figure out if it's a certain color or build date as to why our other member got lucky. I for one am a little bitter, I was going to order frozen dark grey and although not the major reason, this is a minor reason I chose a standard color instead.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 07:21 AM   #2
psylovibe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

You live in bayside. Why would you want the lane change assist? I have FDG. I opted out of this package as long blind spot detection is functional. But, FYI, I believe you can turn on the feature. You are just agreeing to the terms that the feature wil be disabled while operating the car when ordering an individual.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 07:23 AM   #3
M3GALLY
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylovibe View Post
You live in bayside, why would you want the lane change assist?
Why not I sit in traffic and ride on highways everyday?

Back to the topic - anyone have insight
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 07:29 AM   #4
psylovibe
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM3GALLY View Post

Gotcha...Anyway, some context for this topic. seems there would be some overriding.

Please advise the dealer/customer that when ordering BMW Special Order paint (490), the Lane Change Assistant function (which is a part of Option 5AU “Driving Assistant Professional”) must be deactivated. This happens by adding option 8TR “Decoding Additional Function”. We will add this option when adding 490 to the order.

Lane change assistant:

Part of the steering/lane control assistant, for comfortable/automatic lane changing in the speed range between 44 – 112 mph via a long press of the turn indicator.

- lane change can be overridden at any time.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 07:32 AM   #5
M3GALLY
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylovibe View Post
Quote:

Gotcha...Anyway, some context for this topic. seems there would be some overriding.

Please advise the dealer/customer that when ordering BMW Special Order paint (490), the Lane Change Assistant function (which is a part of Option 5AU “Driving Assistant Professional”) must be deactivated. This happens by adding option 8TR “Decoding Additional Function”. We will add this option when adding 490 to the order.

Lane change assistant:

Part of the steering/lane control assistant, for comfortable/automatic lane changing in the speed range between 44 – 112 mph via a long press of the turn indicator.

- lane change can be overridden at any time.
Ahhh do you mean it's a simple option turned on off through a menu?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 07:36 AM   #6
psylovibe
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ahhh do you mean it's a simple option turned on off through a menu?
That was my assumption based on the email I received from my CA. But, someone with the option will be able to confirm. I think you cannot rely on it because BMW has not done enough testing with individual colors to classify this feature as safe.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 07:21 PM   #7
Grumpy514
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3X

Garage List
It makes no sense why it would be disabled...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 07:52 PM   #8
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy514 View Post
It makes no sense why it would be disabled...
If I recall correctly it has something to do with how the properties of the paint could effect the radars for the function to work properly. They can't possibly test the functionality across the entire individual paint selection this the disablement. I'd imagine it's mostly the CYA factor than anything else just in case of that one fringe scenario.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 08:15 PM   #9
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
If I recall correctly it has something to do with how the properties of the paint could effect the radars for the function to work properly. They can't possibly test the functionality across the entire individual paint selection this the disablement. I'd imagine it's mostly the CYA factor than anything else just in case of that one fringe scenario.
I remember seeing in some video that BMW tests the integrity of all their seatbelts, including every different shade, in case the dyes used for one particular color render the fabric weaker. It's probably just typical German over-engineering/over-worrying that makes most of us roll our eyes, but in general this kind of mentality is critical to producing a high quality, refined product.

(I'm a software engineer, and my natural instinct is to assume everything I build and design will work normally. So I'm glad we have testers who come up with insane scenarios and inputs to test that I never think of, as it makes the software better. Same idea.)
      02-22-2022, 09:06 PM   #10
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
It's come to our attention that one of our members who has a frozen deep grey m4 has lane change assist functioning stock.

As you may already know when ordering individual colors the configurator states that this feature will have to be disabled if an individual color is ordered.

This may be helpful for people placing future orders.

So is it true??? Do you have an individual color with functional lane change assist? Post the color and model year to so maybe we can figure out if it's a certain color or build date as to why our other member got lucky. I for one am a little bitter, I was going to order frozen dark grey and although not the major reason, this is a minor reason I chose a standard color instead.
Individual Colors in Series or Current BMW Range should have it (tested and certified compliance with L2 Autonomous Requirements). Individual Manufaktur - Special Request Out of Range or To Sample generally don't but there are exceptions.
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019152.00
      02-22-2022, 09:12 PM   #11
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Yeah, thats true. Metallic contents in the paint have big impact to radar performance.

OEMs optimize radar performance with lots of real world scenarios and that cant be done with the entire individual paint selection.
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019152.00
      02-22-2022, 09:18 PM   #12
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
It's probably just typical German over-engineering/over-worrying that makes most of us roll our eyes, but in general this kind of mentality is critical to producing a high quality, refined product.
Not really. Every manufacturer ends up using lot of resources to develop ADAS features for every platform as they are still evolving. Its quite a challenge for OEMs and Tier 1 as these products have not been optimized (say a caliper).
Appreciate 0