Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-28-2023, 04:07 PM   #45
Jon H
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mjustaguy View Post
I used a deep socket and long extension along with a 13 mm flex wrench. Flex wrenches are a lifesaver
Thanks man. I'll go pick some up. Don't have any flex wrenches.

M3Cx, E92 M3 6MT
Previous cars: '21 Supra, '17 GT-R, '15 GT3, '13 GT-R '09 GT-R, '06 Z06, '06 Evo MR, '05 M3, '03 Evo, '00 Miata.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 03:14 PM   #46
CadHater
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp AWD

Started the install tonight and the only rough part was the sensors. Trying to snake them down took a little while. I’m nervous about how I’m going to find out which one goes where.

I got the longer downpipe re-installed and I’ll finish the rest tomorrow. There just isn’t much room to see and figure out which plug goes where.

The 3 white circles are the location of the sensors. The 4th one is on the bottom and pretty easy to trace from the bottom. I’m assuming the shorter and farthest oxygen sensor goes on bottom, but not positive.

If some knows where each individual one goes that would be helpful.
Attached Images

02-04-2023, 09:41 AM   #47
CadHater
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

The two pics of the Long DP are showing the same sensor cable, one coming from the DP itself and another pic close up of where it clips. That one is easy, you just follow it back.
Attached Images

Jon H391.50
OEM31592.00
      02-06-2023, 05:35 AM   #48
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadHater View Post
The two pics of the Long DP are showing the same sensor cable, one coming from the short DP and another pic close up of where it clips. That one is easy, you just follow it back.
Thats awesome mate. Thank you for coming back to the tread and helping out. Very helpful pics and tips.

Looks like you used a lift. I have so far not been able to start the project because I need a lift and some airtools or an impact wrench. Hopefully soon. But its great now, that i know where each sensor goes.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 06:58 AM   #49
CadHater
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmedman View Post
Thats awesome mate. Thank you for coming back to the tread and helping out. Very helpful pics and tips.

Looks like you used a lift. I have so far not been able to start the project because I need a lift and some airtools or an impact wrench. Hopefully soon. But its great now, that i know where each sensor goes.
No problem, I flashed a stage 2 map and car sounds and feels good. No check engine lights or anything, so I think it was a successful install.

Using a lift really helps a lot. Positioning the downpipes correctly to tighten the clamp on the turbo side takes a little time because it’s hard to reach. Best to have one person hold the DP in place while the other tightens the clamp.
      02-06-2023, 09:40 AM   #50
Jon H
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmedman View Post

I put a piece of painter's tape on the ends of the connections and numbered them for easy matching when the time came to reconnect. Did the same with the ECU plugs when I pulled it to send to FEMTO.

I did the downpipes recently on jackstands. You don't need a lift although I'm sure it would be more comfortable. No need for air tools or impact wrench. Did most everything with hand tools although having an electric ratchet makes taking the undertray off way faster.

M3Cx, E92 M3 6MT
Previous cars: '21 Supra, '17 GT-R, '15 GT3, '13 GT-R '09 GT-R, '06 Z06, '06 Evo MR, '05 M3, '03 Evo, '00 Miata.
Appreciate 1
madmedman275.00
      02-07-2023, 07:47 AM   #51
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon H View Post
I put a piece of painter's tape on the ends of the connections and numbered them for easy matching when the time came to reconnect. Did the same with the ECU plugs when I pulled it to send to FEMTO.

I did the downpipes recently on jackstands. You don't need a lift although I'm sure it would be more comfortable. No need for air tools or impact wrench. Did most everything with hand tools although having an electric ratchet makes taking the undertray off way faster.
Thanks mate. All very good info. Unfortunately, my driveway is at an incline so cant use jackstands.

I also got a cheap ACDelco cordless ratchet, O2 sensor sockets, flex neck spanners, etc. So I am armed to the teeth

Hopefully, can find a safe space somewhere where i can use these and get to work. I dont mind being under the car for the whole day. So hopefully very soon I will get the job done.
Thanks again.
Appreciate 1
Jon H391.50
      02-08-2023, 03:42 PM   #52
CadHater
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Sound clip with downpipes on.

https://youtu.be/aKrZzSN5324
      02-12-2023, 03:58 PM   #53
markoz28
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2017 340i, BMW 2020 M340i,

I attempted to install MAD catted downpipes and single mid pipe on Friday. I am current stuck on a few things.

1. I cannot tighten the bolt from the small downpipe to the midpipe. I will be purchasing a flex head wrench and see if that works.

2. The midpipe hangs to low and is only aabout 1/10 of an inch from the cross brace. I will loosen everthing and see if I can push it up more and tighten. Ill place something between the brace and the midpipe to give clearance first.

3. I cannot determine when the lower O2 sensor should be secured to the body. It is currently just hang from the connections. (A friend took it off).
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 10:41 AM   #54
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by markoz28 View Post
I attempted to install MAD catted downpipes and single mid pipe on Friday. I am current stuck on a few things.

1. I cannot tighten the bolt from the small downpipe to the midpipe. I will be purchasing a flex head wrench and see if that works.

2. The midpipe hangs to low and is only aabout 1/10 of an inch from the cross brace. I will loosen everthing and see if I can push it up more and tighten. Ill place something between the brace and the midpipe to give clearance first.

3. I cannot determine when the lower O2 sensor should be secured to the body. It is currently just hang from the connections. (A friend took it off).
Is it our single mid-pipe? If so with our brace there should be a minimum of half inch clearance.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 10:22 AM   #55
Jon H
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Is it the same bolt that I mentioned in post #42? If so, I used a flex head on the back and a 1/4 drive long wobble extension and was able to tighten it down. Maybe it's just my Valvetronic midpipe but it was a weird angle and that was the only thing I could get to fit in there to tighten.

My Valvetronic midpipe rattled against the cross brace. I used washers to create enough clearance.

That lower shorter o2 sensor line gets clipped to one of the transmission fins IIRC. I believe it was a black clip and not one of the regular bendable closures used elsewhere to hold the o2 sensor lines.

M3Cx, E92 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 10:39 AM   #56
markoz28
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon H View Post
Is it the same bolt that I mentioned in post #42? If so, I used a flex head on the back and a 1/4 drive long wobble extension and was able to tighten it down. Maybe it's just my Valvetronic midpipe but it was a weird angle and that was the only thing I could get to fit in there to tighten.

My Valvetronic midpipe rattled against the cross brace. I used washers to create enough clearance.

That lower shorter o2 sensor line gets clipped to one of the transmission fins IIRC. I believe it was a black clip and not one of the regular bendable closures used elsewhere to hold the o2 sensor lines.
It is exaclty that bolt. I will buy a set of flex heads and see if that helps.

Thank you for the guidance to the location of the O2 sensor. Ill look under car this week and see if I can find it.

Im going to loosen the entire system up and see if I can get more clearance. If not I may just do as you did and add some washers to the brace. I just need about 1/4" Im sure.

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 02:16 PM   #57
markoz28
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
Is it our single mid-pipe? If so with our brace there should be a minimum of half inch clearance.
Yes, it is. Im sure it just needs some adjustment. If not I'll reach out.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 02:46 PM   #58
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
I would definitely play with the adjustment spacing should not be an issue at all with our brace.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 05:19 PM   #59
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You need to rotate these (circled) and it will allow you to elevate the midpipe away from the brace.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Jon H391.50
      03-01-2023, 04:39 PM   #60
markoz28
First Lieutenant
Rep

Finally finished the install on MAD Catted Downpipes and single midpipe. The sound is great! Cold starts at 5am are crazy but not too brutal. I was also coming from a 2018 Camaro ZL1 with cam and headers so this isnt that bad.

Highway driving is pretty tame sound, kinda a smooth purr but no humming. Take the RPMs past 4500 and its a screamer!

I got a check engine light tho, and I am using the Bigdaddies garage minicats. Im going to unplug the battery and hope its because everything is just new or it needs to burn off any oils inside.

Overall I am very pleased.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2023, 04:44 PM   #61
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
Finally finished the install on MAD Catted Downpipes and single midpipe. The sound is great! Cold starts at 5am are crazy but not too brutal. I was also coming from a 2018 Camaro ZL1 with cam and headers so this isnt that bad.

Highway driving is pretty tame sound, kinda a smooth purr but no humming. Take the RPMs past 4500 and its a screamer!

I got a check engine light tho, and I am using the Bigdaddies garage minicats. Im going to unplug the battery and hope its because everything is just new or it needs to burn off any oils inside.

Glad you love it! Get us a video of you can many people want to hear the catted single setup.

Odd to hear about your cel though based on the tons of users running them.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 07:42 AM   #62
OEM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3

Quote:

NICE! Yea I sometimes get a CEL with my minicats very infrequent and does not stay on long enough to bother me. I will be unlocking the ecu later this year but I am very happy with my catted downpipes.
      03-03-2023, 12:24 PM   #63
markoz28
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mjustaguy View Post
NICE! Yea I sometimes get a CEL with my minicats very infrequent and does not stay on long enough to bother me. I will be unlocking the ecu later this year but I am very happy with my catted downpipes.
Funny you say that. The CEL turned off this morning and so far so good. I will drive it more tomorrow and hopefully it stays off.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 10:59 PM   #64
Jon H
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Mine threw a light after the DP install with minicats. Code 12AF20. Turned off in about a week's worth of daily driving or so and hasn't came back. Weird.

M3Cx, E92 M3 6MT
Appreciate 1
Hit_Apex2370.50
      03-07-2023, 07:36 PM   #65
markoz28
First Lieutenant
Rep

The cel came back on again but I dont have a code reader as of yet. I will get that tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 03:06 PM   #66
evidence
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Just wrapping my install up. Have you guys been swapping the gasket between the turbo mani and DP for a new one, part 18307553601? The one between the DP and mid is a lot beefier and makes solid contact, but the one on the turbo is looking pretty crushed. Curious if anyone has had any leaks.

Also just a note for anyone using the bigdaddies mini cats, an extra spacer between the mini cat and the stock o2 sensor is needed to make sure you don't crush the cat. Wondering if some people are seeing codes because they are squishing the cat and getting the inefficient code, or clogging it and getting the slow to heat code. These worked perfectly for $10 (just the crush washer):

https://www.autozone.com/ignition-tu...009/730544_0_0
Appreciate 1
Hit_Apex2370.50