11-25-2022, 03:54 PM   #1
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp

Downpipes install DIY

Hey all.
Having recently installed 200 cells by a shop, I am planning to revert to oem Downpipes myself. For some crazy reason, I think the car sounded better with the restrictive Downpipes.

Now I have seen many install videos but they don’t emphasise the difficult aspects, where newbies like me are likely to get stuck. I especially am not looking forward to unplugging the o2 sensors and I dread the v-bands.

Are there any tips for my first foray into this territory? I will using a proper lift for 4 hours. Any special tools for the v bands? How do I ensure install is perfect? I will be only my own and can’t enlist any help. Do I need a long wrench for the O2 sensor. I just want to ensure I have the correct ammunition. I don’t want to pay a shop to do it for me again.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2022, 04:10 PM   #2
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmedman View Post
Hey all.
Having recently installed 200 cells by a shop, I am planning to revert to oem Downpipes myself. For some crazy reason, I think the car sounded better with the restrictive Downpipes.

Now I have seen many install videos but they don’t emphasise the difficult aspects, where newbies like me are likely to get stuck. I especially am not looking forward to unplugging the o2 sensors and I dread the v-bands.

Are there any tips for my first foray into this territory? I will using a proper lift for 4 hours. Any special tools for the v bands? How do I ensure install is perfect? I will be only my own and can’t enlist any help. Do I need a long wrench for the O2 sensor. I just want to ensure I have the correct ammunition. I don’t want to pay a shop to do it for me again.
Sorry bud. With all your questions and worry, why not just get a shop again?
Appreciate 1
Fugazii234.50
      11-25-2022, 04:31 PM   #3
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
There is no fun in that, mate. I just want to be prepared and want to ensure i have all the tools for the job. I am usually very slow first time and want to complete the swap within 4 hours. I know I could get a shop to do it but after watching a few videos, I think i can do it. I have done most of the catback work on my car myself, including installing the MPE and I think downpipes are doable as well.
Appreciate 2
      11-25-2022, 04:40 PM   #4
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeamerking View Post
I install downpipes in California for $50-$100. It's very easy just very annoying as taking off the metal underbelly is the most time consuming. All you need is 16s and 8mm to remove the underbelly and under trays. After unplug the 2 02 sensors on the top of the engine after removing engine cover and brace. The left 02 sensor not on the tower is more important when installing. Now under the car remove all the 13mm bolts with a impact or wrench to save time. You need to remove the 2 single 13mm on the 2 hangers on each side between the middle cross brace and downpipes. After remove the middle cross brace which I forgot the size but is 3 bolts on each side of the car. After that is done you can drop the exhaust and I used a jack to lower to not break the back of the exhaust. Next remove the downpipe to turbo flange with 13mm and your Goanna need a screwdriver flathead to pry it open. Use a 02 sensor socket (special tool you will 100% need) and remove the easy to remove last 2 02 sensors and downpipes should come off. You can hang the downpipes on the 02 sensors but it's risky stripping or shorting. Also be careful and remove the negative terminal to battery as you might hit the starter and short the electrical system. When installing you install the longer downpipe first and the 02 sensor that's closest to the turbo right next to the flange has to be installed and tightened before you put it into position. After you fish that exact 02 sensor wire up to the engine bay and that's the 02 sensor I was talking about earlier that's more important. Another key thing u want for the flange is have the screw that tightens them which is a 13mm the part u are goanna use a wrench or socket on face it to the right and the screw should be exiting on the left. You don't have to install the bottom 02 sensor yet but after that happens same process for the back turbo or turbo 2 the smaller downpipe. After they are in position everything should be coming together with the exhaust pretty easily. Just make sure not to forget having the gaskets as they tend to stay on the old downpipes so transfer them. Enjoy and good luck
man, if I am so grateful for such a detailed reply and tips. I appreciate it immensely. Its excellent advice. Thanks again mate.
Appreciate 6
Nkr151123.50
M Division1197.50
Bostro530.00
evidence202.00
      11-25-2022, 05:41 PM   #5
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Quote:
There is no fun in that, mate. I just want to be prepared and want to ensure i have all the tools for the job. I am usually very slow first time and want to complete the swap within 4 hours. I know I could get a shop to do it but after watching a few videos, I think i can do it. I have done most of the catback work on my car myself, including installing the MPE and I think downpipes are doable as well.
All good my friend. I wish you luck. Knock it out in 2.5 hours
Appreciate 1
madmedman275.00
      11-26-2022, 03:41 AM   #6
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
All good my friend. I wish you luck. Knock it out in 2.5 hours
Thanks mate.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 04:07 PM   #7
CadHater
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp AWD

Quote:
Thanks mate.
How did it go? I’m thinking about attempting in a few days.
      01-18-2023, 05:11 AM   #8
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadHater View Post
How did it go? I’m thinking about attempting in a few days.
Hello mate. I held it off for a bit. But was just thinking of doing it again. Where i hit a snag was that I couldn't identify all the O2 sensor connections. And also, need access to a levelled driveway where I can get the car up on all fours.

Would you or anyone have any idea if i am correct in thinking that there are three O2 sensor connections in the engine bay and 1 underneath the car?

Please see pics attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 05:52 AM   #9
CadHater
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Would you or anyone have any idea if i am correct in thinking that there are three O2 sensor connections in the engine bay and 1 underneath the car?

Please see pics attached.
My plan is to just follow the oxygen sensor cables from the stock downpipes to wherever they are plugged in on the engine. I assume it will be apparent once you’re looking at it from the bottom. I’m going to find a wiring diagram before I attempt the work.
      01-18-2023, 06:11 AM   #10
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My plan is to just follow the oxygen sensor cables from the stock downpipes to wherever they are plugged in on the engine. I assume it will be apparent once you’re looking at it from the bottom. I’m going to find a wiring diagram before I attempt the work.
I think I have to just follow the sensors as well. Might need a bit of in and out of the underside of the car. I did search for a wiring diagram but couldnt find one. I am planning to take some pictures when I attempt it and will post here. But its so damn cold these days that its almost impossible to get any work done on the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 07:51 AM   #11
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 GLA45AMG(his) / '21 X3M40i

Quote:
I think I have to just follow the sensors as well. Might need a bit of in and out of the underside of the car. I did search for a wiring diagram but couldnt find one. I am planning to take some pictures when I attempt it and will post here. But its so damn cold these days that its almost impossible to get any work done on the car.
Can you do a 'dry run'?

Say, just put the car on the lift for like an hour, pull out the cover, and familiarize yourself with what you're going to be up against.

I use this technique for scenarios like the one you described, where you're not 100% sure of what you're doing.

The only time I paid for an aftermarket install was when I found out that many people where breaking the 'stud bolts', 10 of them I believe, on a down pipe swap job for a GTR. I got lucky when the dealer mis-quoted me $300 for the job. When in fact, it was more like $700. By the time they where done with it, it took 3 days and 4 broken stud extractions. But boy, I'm telling you, no matter what you do to a GTR, the sound is just Caviar and Don P., for the ears

Best of luck, and hopefully you'll get some DIY instruction with pictures for the rest of us.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 08:05 AM   #12
CadHater
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixY2K View Post
Can you do a 'dry run'?

Say, just put the car on the lift for like an hour, pull out the cover, and familiarize yourself with what you're going to be up against.
This is a good idea. I’ll do that soon and post some pictures. I’ll tackle the project this weekend, hopefully.
      01-18-2023, 09:09 AM   #13
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Can you do a 'dry run'?

I use this technique for scenarios like the one you described, where you're not 100% sure of what you're doing.

The only time I paid for an aftermarket install was when I found out that many people where breaking the 'stud bolts', 10 of them I believe, on a down pipe swap job for a GTR. I got lucky when the dealer mis-quoted me $300 for the job. When in fact, it was more like $700. By the time they where done with it, it took 3 days and 4 broken stud extractions. But boy, I'm telling you, no matter what you do to a GTR, the sound is just Caviar and Don P., for the ears

Best of luck, and hopefully you'll get some DIY instruction with pictures for the rest of us.
Thats a great idea mate. I always do something similar, get close to the job to have a view and research to see what i am up against. In this case though, I am ashamed to say i only went as far as removing the horizontal brace and the engine cover. I got a bit discouraged by the amount of wiring underneath there. But what has really made me hold off is that my VT midpipe is a pain in the a to install and for this, I have to remove and reinstall it.

Another thing is that my driveway is at an incline, so raising the car is not possible there. I have used a lift in the past but the entrance to that is unusable as I always scrape my splitter lip everytime I use it. And for the downpipes, I need a whole day or more to do it slowly and take my time. But its inevitable, I have to do it the weekend after.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 09:11 AM   #14
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
This is a good idea. I’ll do that soon and post some pictures. I’ll tackle the project this weekend, hopefully.
Thanks mate. Will appreciate pictures. I dont think there is a good diy for G8x as most videos done show the connectors locations. Any tips will be appreciated. I also think an electric ratchet would be great to have and will cut the time down.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 09:23 AM   #15
CadHater
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Ohhhh I just found a Full DIY pdf from Akrapovic.

G80/G82 Downpipe Installation
evidence202.00
Gyoza40.50
      01-18-2023, 10:04 AM   #16
albion991
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850i (Sold) 2022 BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3   [0.00]
I was in the same boat as you. Originally, I planned on installing them myself but there just isn't enough clearance on ramps. The job is 1000 times easier on a proper lift. My car is at the shop now getting Evolution Racewerks catless. I didn't want to cough up the extra $, but it is what it is.
Appreciate 1
madmedman275.00
      01-18-2023, 10:11 AM   #17
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ohhhh I just found a Full DIY pdf from Akrapovic.

G80/G82 Downpipe Installation
Thats excellent. Great find mate. Just browsed through it quickly and do they suggest just unscrewing the sensors while already connected and not on the bench? Would you want to do it that way or unplug and remove them with the downpipes and then unscrew?

Thank you again for you help mate.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 10:14 AM   #18
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 GLA45AMG(his) / '21 X3M40i

I don't know if it's already mentioned, but don't forget to get an O2 sensor socket. It came very handy when I did my kid's O2 replacement on his Focus ST.
Appreciate 1
madmedman275.00
      01-18-2023, 10:28 AM   #19
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I don't know if it's already mentioned, but don't forget to get an O2 sensor socket. It came very handy when I did my kid's O2 replacement on his Focus ST.
Thank you. Will get an O2 socket. Was thinking it would be difficult for me, especially with my ageing muscles. And also those twist neck ratchets come in handy for aftermarket downpipe bolts/nuts. Due to their placement, they can be difficult to tighten, remove.

Cheers.
Appreciate 1
GixY2K517.00
      01-18-2023, 11:36 AM   #20
CadHater
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I don’t think this is an issue on this DIY because you don’t remove the oxygen sensors until the downpipes are off the vehicle.
Then you move them over to the new DP’s. I know the instruction say to remove while still on the car, but that seems like more work.
      01-18-2023, 11:37 AM   #21
CadHater
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Are you 100% sure it is necessary for this job? From what I understand you remove the oxygen sensors after the downpipes are removed from the car. So the tool isn’t necessary…?
Also, you would twist the wire if it’s still plugged in and you unscrew the oxygen sensor.
      01-18-2023, 02:12 PM   #22
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Are you 100% sure it is necessary for this job? From what I understand you remove the oxygen sensors after the downpipes are removed from the car. So the tool isn’t necessary…?
Also, you would twist the wire if it’s still plugged in and you unscrew the oxygen sensor.
The akrapovic diy guide mentions removing the sensor while the downpipes are still installed. I have read that some people have done it this way but most say that sensors should be removed after the downpipes are on the bench.

I am very tempted to take the short cut and do akrapovic way so I don't have to unplug and worry about fishing them back up. But will obviously change tactics if the wires get twisted too much.
Appreciate 0