home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-11-2022, 12:15 PM   #1
Asmooth0101
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus rx350

High flow catted down pipes

Any recommendations on high flow catted downpipes that won't throw a check engine light?
Appreciate 1
IDKBRO678.50
      06-11-2022, 06:01 PM   #2
Bimmerboom
Munich
Rep
Drives: E92 LRP M3

https://store.activeautowerke.com/pr...588ecae6&_ss=r
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 09:02 PM   #3
Asmooth0101
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerboom View Post
Thx. I saw these. So darn expensive! Any others available that won't throw the check engine light?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 09:35 PM   #4
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmooth0101 View Post
Thx. I saw these. So darn expensive! Any others available that won't throw the check engine light?
Apart from the GESI cats that are in AA's downpipes - there's never a guarantee. Unfortunately, you pay extra for that guarantee, but it's worth it for if you require it. They're 400 cells so if you're looking for a raunchy sound but not too over the top, then the AA's catted downpipes are absolutely the way to go. 200 cells are closer to completely catless, which you can find on Evolution Racewerks' downpipes, but they can sometimes throw a CEL.

The AA downpipes have popped up for sale in the used section a few times already. Mike from xph sold his at half the cost, which sounds about right and fair. So if you really want one without paying the price of a new one, head over to the members classified and haggle someone down!
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 2
      06-11-2022, 09:45 PM   #5
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

You can use our Catless Downpipes with these http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/angled-cel-fix.html.

We have many customers running with no cel.
Appreciate 1
destoyan521.50
      06-11-2022, 11:43 PM   #6
AKSteve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition Convertible

I ordered a set of catted (300 Cell) downpipes from R44 this week. I know they put something in their catless downpipes so that they don't throw a CEL, so I just kind of assumed the catted downpipes would be ok. Anyone heard differently?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 08:00 AM   #7
Purekoryo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
Importantly, has anyone noticed any power bump?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 08:26 AM   #8
Drift Master
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSteve View Post
I ordered a set of catted (300 Cell) downpipes from R44 this week. I know they put something in their catless downpipes so that they don't throw a CEL, so I just kind of assumed the catted downpipes would be ok. Anyone heard differently?
R44 for 1300$ is the cheapest option for a 300 cell catted DP with no CEL. When you sell your car you can remove and install factory DP And get half your money back.

I am Planning to see how I like my car exhaust when I get it in few weeks. But I am planning a staged approach

Exhaust m/performance upgrade one.
1300$ R44 Catted DP with JB4 1000$ and high Flow intake for burger motor sport 200$.
You should get + 100-150 HP/Tq from that. Amazing value for 2500$. Legit 10 second car

Exhaust upgrade two :
CG PRECISION VSC-2 - VARIABLE SOUND CONTROLLER 200$ ( no cutting or welding and on and off reversing with the remote) 10 min install.

Exhaust upgrade three:
Secondary resonators delete with straight pipe at local muffler shop 200-300$
Appreciate 2
      06-12-2022, 08:52 AM   #9
AKSteve
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Master View Post
1300$ R44 Catted DP with JB4 1000$ and high Flow intake for burger motor sport 200$.
You should get + 100-150 HP/Tq from that. Amazing value for 2500$. Legit 10 second car.
This is my plan. I've already got the intake & JB4 here and I'm trying to decided whether to install them or just wait for the catted DP and do it all at once.

Crazy to think that I sold a 991 turbo cab last year and that the M4 Comp. Convertible that I just bought will soon be quicker, even though it is bigger, heavier and significantly more comfortable to ride in. These new M4's with xDrive are a home run as far as performance goes.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 09:28 AM   #10
Drift Master
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You should get + 100-150 HP/Tq from that. Amazing value for 2500$. Legit 10 second car.
This is my plan. I've already got the intake & JB4 here and I'm trying to decided whether to install them or just wait for the catted DP and do it all at once.

Crazy to think that I sold a 991 turbo cab last year and that the M4 Comp. Convertible that I just bought will soon be quicker, even though it is bigger, heavier and significantly more comfortable to ride in. These new M4's with xDrive are a home run as far as performance goes.
Doing an intake or a flitter ?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 09:31 AM   #11
Drift Master
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

U can do the JB4 and intake together it's under the hood mod.

DP and Vsc 2 controller and any other exhaust mods are going to be done with the car on a lift.

Mighty as well enjoy the power bump ASAP
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 10:32 AM   #12
AKSteve
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Doing an intake or a flitter ?
MST Cold Air Intake system.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 08:45 AM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

The only downpipes that guarantee a no-check engine light are the Active Autowerke. There are other options but you get no guarantee, so if the check engine light is triggered you are on your own

Quote:
MST Cold Air Intake system.
I have the same intake, highly recommend

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 09:57 AM   #14
Asmooth0101
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
R44 for 1300$ is the cheapest option for a 300 cell catted DP with no CEL. When you sell your car you can remove and install factory DP And get half your money back.

I am Planning to see how I like my car exhaust when I get it in few weeks. But I am planning a staged approach

You should get + 100-150 HP/Tq from that. Amazing value for 2500$. Legit 10 second car

Exhaust upgrade two :
CG PRECISION VSC-2 - VARIABLE SOUND CONTROLLER 200$ ( no cutting or welding and on and off reversing with the remote) 10 min install.

Exhaust upgrade three:
I have the bms cold air intake and the vsc valve controlled installed. I'm thinking about my next upgrade. Will catted downpipes make a big difference in the sound of the vehicle? I don't want anything crazy and like the low rumbling sound as opposed to the raspy sound. I was considering removing the first resonator as a next step but want to start getting some more power so was thinking to skip the resonator and go for the downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 12:58 PM   #15
Drift Master
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Exhaust upgrade two :

Exhaust upgrade three:
I have the bms cold air intake and the vsc valve controlled installed. I'm thinking about my next upgrade. Will catted downpipes make a big difference in the sound of the vehicle? I don't want anything crazy and like the low rumbling sound as opposed to the raspy sound. I was considering removing the first resonator as a next step but want to start getting some more power so was thinking to skip the resonator and go for the downpipes.
I would leave the mid pipe alone and do the downpipe, leave the secondary cats and resonator is in place, between a high flow down pipe and the valve and the intake your exhaust should be pretty good and if you need to later on you can remove the first resonator if you're still not happy with the sound, the downpipe will improve the performance especially if you add A tune

If you wanna take it to the next level still then a Axle back exhaust at that point
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2022, 01:03 PM   #16
RideFAST
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 G82 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
The only downpipes that guarantee a no-check engine light are the Active Autowerke. There are other options but you get no guarantee, so if the check engine light is triggered you are on your own

What about these?

https://www.shopapexbuilt.com/products/g8x-catless-dp
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2022, 06:55 PM   #17
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFAST View Post
Quote:

What about these?

Those are completely catless downpipes. They'll throw a CEL.

Can't think of a reason to go for any brand except MAD for catless downpipes. Amazingly priced, flex section, etc. it's a quality product at a great price. Please don't spend $1k on catless downpipes.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2022, 07:07 PM   #18
RideFAST
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
Those are completely catless downpipes. They'll throw a CEL.

Can't think of a reason to go for any brand except MAD for catless downpipes. Amazingly priced, flex section, etc. it's a quality product at a great price. Please don't spend $1k on catless downpipes.
The description says it wont throw a CEL. Their design is nearly identical to the R44 catless DP's which several on this forum have had success in NOT throwing a CEL. There's a mini CAT-like sensor within the dp that prevents a CEL.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 07:13 PM   #19
RideFAST
Private First Class
Rep

Also, AhsanU do you have any videos of your exhaust sound? I noticed you have the exact same setup I am planning on (catless DP with valvetronic midpipe). Much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 08:00 PM   #20
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Not familiar with them but it looks like catless downpipes with an O2 spacer.

You case use an O2 spacer with any catless downpipes. You do not have to pay as much

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 08:31 PM   #21
Asmooth0101
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

What about these?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Exhaust upgrade two :

Exhaust upgrade three:
I would leave the mid pipe alone and do the downpipe, leave the secondary cats and resonator is in place, between a high flow down pipe and the valve and the intake your exhaust should be pretty good and if you need to later on you can remove the first resonator if you're still not happy with the sound, the downpipe will improve the performance especially if you add A tune

If you wanna take it to the next level still then a Axle back exhaust at that point

I was looking for a catted downpipe. Never heard of this company but thanks for sending because they also have a catted one with no check engine.

https://www.shopapexbuilt.com/collec...-hfc-downpipes
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 01:08 AM   #22
AKSteve
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So just to be clear, I can get catless downpipes that won't throw a CEL, but the R44 downpipes WITH 300 cell cats that I ordered, may or may not throw a CEL. And if I definitely want to go with cats and not get a CEL, I need to get the AA downpipes that cost $3,500.

Does anyone have any first-hand info on the R44 catted downpipes and whether they will throw a CEL light or not? I'm wondering now if I should cancel my order and get the AA catted downpipes.
Appreciate 1
IDKBRO678.50