Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBeachDinanFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GixY2K View Post
I know this horse has been beaten beyond a pulp, but remind me...

Will the "unlocked" DME go back to its locked state once it goes to the dealership for service? And if so, will Visconti/Femto unlock it again at no cost?
The biggest risk seems to be BMW doing an over the air computer update without even asking you.
You can turn remote software update download automatically off on the BMW app
GixY2K517.00
      06-06-2022, 04:25 PM   #24
LongBeachDinanFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk3let0nz View Post
You can turn remote software update download automatically off on the BMW app
Yes for now but I think sooner or later they will force you to remote update when something "important" comes along.
Appreciate 1
GixY2K517.00
      06-06-2022, 07:13 PM   #25
Mcc420
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX

Garage List
2023 g80x  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I was told to delete the my bmw app if you tune it.

F90 Comp, Hcp custom e40 meth, 9.76@143, 174ml/h 1/2ml 60-130 5.53

F10 M5, HCP Tune ,BM3, 10:8@137, 166.05 1/2ml.
Ig @mcc420
Appreciate 1
GixY2K517.00
      06-06-2022, 08:17 PM   #26
rmeitz167
bmw tech
Rep
Drives: g80 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcc420 View Post
I was told to delete the my bmw app if you tune it.
fml. thats one of the best parts of the damn g80's lol
Mainentance-Repair-Performance
Appreciate 2
Mcc420475.00
GixY2K517.00
      06-06-2022, 11:00 PM   #27
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeitz167 View Post
fml. thats one of the best parts of the damn g80's lol
Are you being serious? You like all the data about your driving habits and whereabouts being stored on the cloud? I turned everything off that I could and still paranoid that it's tracking everything anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 01:30 AM   #28
rmeitz167
bmw tech
Rep
Drives: g80 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
Are you being serious? You like all the data about your driving habits and whereabouts being stored on the cloud? I turned everything off that I could and still paranoid that it's tracking everything anyway.
i mean being able to use the app as my key etc. You really think its not still tracking you? lol
Mainentance-Repair-Performance
Appreciate 1
GixY2K517.00
      06-07-2022, 02:39 AM   #29
Sbm007
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX (Oxide Grey)

Garage List
So my ECU is unlocked and I have the Remote Software Upgrade option disabled from within the car itself (there is a tickbox somewhere in Settings > Privacy), and once you do this the car stops checking for updates too (I know this is as it warns you whenever you try to go to Remote Software Upgrade menu).

Also, I still use the My BMW app on a daily basis

I highly highly doubt the car would auto update and flash the ECU module by it self without prompting the user, not saying BMW can't if they want to, but just seems high unlikely they would do something like this
2022 G80 M3 Competition M xDrive (Oxide Grey)
Appreciate 3
Limegrntaln13469.00
GixY2K517.00
gapband240.00
      06-07-2022, 03:30 AM   #30
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbm007 View Post
So my ECU is unlocked and I have the Remote Software Upgrade option disabled from within the car itself (there is a tickbox somewhere in Settings > Privacy), and once you do this the car stops checking for updates too (I know this is as it warns you whenever you try to go to Remote Software Upgrade menu).

Also, I still use the My BMW app on a daily basis

I highly highly doubt the car would auto update and flash the ECU module by it self without prompting the user, not saying BMW can't if they want to, but just seems high unlikely they would do something like this
If they're forcing people to update, when you actively turn the feature off, they're just looking for another lawsuit.

Appreciate 4
      06-07-2022, 07:39 AM   #31
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 GLA45AMG(his) / '21 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
Not to go off topic, but I recently found out that our cell phones "bread crumbs" are for sale to the public. But before I go any further, let me just be clear that it is my understanding that our identities stay anonymous until there is a reason to identify such cell phone (i.e. a crime is committed and the government needs to know such information).

But to my point... We're developing a new traffic plan for an Air Force Base. And part of the plan called for the use of traffic patterns using cell phone signals that show where the base traffic comes from, what routes they take, and gates of choice (North or South gate, in the case of the base where I work), to help develop the plan.

Then, I happened to come across a documentary called, "2,000 mules", where they use the same technology to track "alleged" voting criminals that would go to some sort of "voting center", retrieve a number of voting ballots, and proceed to go around the city to drop these ballots in different ballot boxes.

Now, just to be clear, I don't want to get into the politics of this topic, I just like the science behind it. I work as the acting Geospatial Information Officer for #### an Air Force Base; a fancy title for a map maker. And as such, we use survey-grade GPS equipment to constantly update our maps and GIS programs (Geographic Information System) to store an almost infinite amount of map-feature information inside a database.

So, to my point, if you're paranoid about being tacked, I believe that is a battle we have all lost, at least those who use cell phones, even though we didn't know we were fighting it.

However, I'm sure you were just referring to BMW specifically tracking your driving habits. And if that is the case, I understand completely.

Last edited by GixY2K; 06-07-2022 at 07:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
Mcc420475.00
      06-07-2022, 08:27 AM   #32
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockM4 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Anyone got an estimate on when ecu might get unlocked..? Debating to just send out my ecu to FEMTO. Or waiting it out n doing jb4 in the meantime.
Those of you that have sent out ecu for unlocking hows the process? N overall cost?
I too questioned the same, but grew impatient and decided to send my ECU out to Femto. I did it with Visconti tuning, very quick, sent it out 23rd of May and got it back on the 31st. Total cost was about $1895, but I chose to pay that rather than dealing with any issues.
Total cost including bm3 license and custom tune afterwards..?
I paid $1,295 for BM3 + JordanTuned custom E85 map, then the $1,895 to get my ECU unlocked. Total - $3,190
Were you offered to get a separate ECU for cloning and/or know how much extra would the additional ECU cost?
      06-07-2022, 09:17 AM   #33
sk3let0nz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BMW Junkie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Anyone got an estimate on when ecu might get unlocked..? Debating to just send out my ecu to FEMTO. Or waiting it out n doing jb4 in the meantime.
Those of you that have sent out ecu for unlocking hows the process? N overall cost?
I too questioned the same, but grew impatient and decided to send my ECU out to Femto. I did it with Visconti tuning, very quick, sent it out 23rd of May and got it back on the 31st. Total cost was about $1895, but I chose to pay that rather than dealing with any issues.
I paid $1,295 for BM3 + JordanTuned custom E85 map, then the $1,895 to get my ECU unlocked. Total - $3,190
Were you offered to get a separate ECU for cloning and/or know how much extra would the additional ECU cost?
You can get a separate cloned ECU, I think that was $4k, but for cloned ECU you have to get an ecutek license for $950 and tuning by Visconti, which is another cost.

I chose to just do the ECU unlock service, but you can choose whichever service you want to do.
      06-07-2022, 04:56 PM   #34
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You can get a separate cloned ECU, I think that was $4k, but for cloned ECU you have to get an ecutek license for $950 and tuning by Visconti, which is another cost.

I chose to just do the ECU unlock service, but you can choose whichever service you want to do.
So $4K for the ECU and unlock service?
      06-07-2022, 05:56 PM   #35
Duta569
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M550i

Quote:

I had my ecu's unlocked. I was following the M3/M4 forums and budgeting my unlock off of previous M3/M4 owners getting it unlocked, even though I have a 550i. And I was excited to find out that the v8s have two ecu's that have to be unlocked, so everything was double the price for me! Awesome i know.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 06:09 PM   #36
sk3let0nz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah but then you HAVE to get the ecutek license and tuning by Visconti, so total ends up around $6k for that route because they have limited cloned ECUs
      06-07-2022, 06:11 PM   #37
sk3let0nz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duta569 View Post
Quote:

I had my ecu's unlocked. I was following the M3/M4 forums and budgeting my unlock off of previous M3/M4 owners getting it unlocked, even though I have a 550i. And I was excited to find out that the v8s have two ecu's that have to be unlocked, so everything was double the price for me! Awesome i know.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Man that's fucked up for real
GixY2K517.00
      06-07-2022, 07:16 PM   #38
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah but then you HAVE to get the ecutek license and tuning by Visconti, so total ends up around $6k for that route because they have limited cloned ECUs
Why would you need to go only with ECUtek? Isn't it just a spare ecu that is unlocked?
      06-07-2022, 07:46 PM   #39
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Why would you need to go only with ECUtek? Isn't it just a spare ecu that is unlocked?
Femto is the unlock, ECUTek is the software, if I'm not mistaken. So you need DME, Clone DME, ship to Finland to Femto, ship back, flash with ECUTek, and tune, return to customer.

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 08:12 PM   #40
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Quote:
Femto is the unlock, ECUTek is the software, if I'm not mistaken. So you need DME, Clone DME, ship to Finland to Femto, ship back, flash with ECUTek, and tune, return to customer.
Correct, I'm just trying to understand why couldn't I go with a different tuning platform even if I choose to use a spare (cloned ECU) once unlocked by Femto?
      06-07-2022, 08:13 PM   #41
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Correct, I'm just trying to understand why couldn't I go with a different tuning platform even if I choose to use a spare (cloned ECU) once unlocked by Femto?
Yeah, I've heard people are using BM3 as well.

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 08:59 PM   #42
sk3let0nz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Idk but keep in mind this is how Visconti does it. Prob different with other tuners that might let you just get a cloned ECU itself, but I know with Visconti route you have to get ecutek + tune by them if you get cloned ecu
      06-08-2022, 02:26 PM   #43
femtoevo
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5/G05

Clone is not required for any of the flasher platforms except ecutek.
Appreciate 2
      06-09-2022, 11:53 AM   #44
ss_m5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Compitition

Is this an exclusivity thing for femto for being the first to unlock it? They can gouge and make as much money as possible for a time they set. i think its fair but these prices are outrageous.
Appreciate 0