12-18-2023, 07:56 AM   #793
StephenWyker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90, G80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfCoyote View Post
I personally havnt heard a full exhaust system that sounded better than the stock exhaust with a mid pipe. Granted I’ve only heard compressed sound clips on YouTube so maybe some of these full kits sound better in person?

Single midpipe with valve controller is the best bang for the buck and the route I plan on going.

Though my opinion doesn’t mean much as I don’t even have my car yet haha.
I finally made mine sound far better. Sound clips incoming. Resonated catless DPs along with Akrapovic titanium long pipes and slip on exhaust. Not sure where everyone gets this "it's too quiet" thing from. WOT it sounds amazing, and valves closed, it sounds like stock with more low end, minus the annoying rattle I got in 2-3k with just the single mid pipe.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 10:15 AM   #794
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Does anyone know what HP the stock secondary cats can support? Some of the best combos I’ve heard are catless or resonated downpipes with the mid pipe and axle back stock. Just wondering how they’d hold up long term to a stage 2 93 octane pump gas tune and say mid 10s ET.
      12-18-2023, 10:54 AM   #795
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM4 View Post
Does anyone know what HP the stock secondary cats can support? Some of the best combos I’ve heard are catless or resonated downpipes with the mid pipe and axle back stock. Just wondering how they’d hold up long term to a stage 2 93 octane pump gas tune and say mid 10s ET.
i don't think i have ever seen it fail, i would not worry about crossing the limit with a mid 10 car

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 2
ChrisM41621.50
      12-18-2023, 03:23 PM   #796
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM4 View Post
I'm going to say possibly. They are far enough from the turbos and flow fairly well so they won't see the same heat as the primaries which helps longevity.

Most people also wouldn't know if they failed because they don't have any sensors but, I wouldn't think it would be an issue for any daily drivers.

Last edited by Info@mad-us.com; 12-18-2023 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
ChrisM41621.50
      12-21-2023, 01:27 PM   #797
Jonyxz
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 M/T

Ok, just deleted both secondary cats with the RK Autowerke kit and kept both oem resonators.

The kit is a little expensive and you can save some pennies having the same thing done custom. However, its well made, alligns perfectly and I wanted something tested so preferred to go this route

On sport settings the sound is bassier, more throaty and a little louder with valves open. As you rev up the tone changes pitch(stock is monotone)but never ever raspy. Volume increased but not obnoxious at all. I really like how the tone changes and helps you better feel the engine(especially having a manual). Burbles and turbo sound a little more noticeable.

Valves closed is basically the same as stock.

As the overall volume increased, the redundancy in the cabin also increased but there's no drone at cruising speed.

Happy with the result and dont plan on changing it or taking any resonator off to avoid any kind of rasp. Once I'll tune it I think it will the exact sound I'm looking for.
Recommend this setup to those that want to hear the exhaust more(without arguing with neighbors) and feel the note change when revving.

I'll try to make a sound clip tomorrow.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ChrisM41621.50
      12-21-2023, 03:15 PM   #798
Moedee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M550I/X6M50I/G83

Garage List
2019 m550i  [0.00]
Question, & I am just curious ...what is the difference between MAD Single Midpipe, OR a shop just creating this look from basic exhaust pipes?
is is the same price? wouldn't it cost much cheaper from say a muffler shop

or does this MAD offer something different.
thank you for help
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 04:19 PM   #799
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedee View Post
Question, & I am just curious ...what is the difference between MAD Single Midpipe, OR a shop just creating this look from basic exhaust pipes?
Make a whole new midpipe for you? You want press bent or mandrel bent pipes? Tig or mig welding?
If you want the nice stuff i think it'll probably cost the same if not more than a mad midpipe, but that's just a guess.
If you read this thread from the start you'll see it will be cheaper for an exhaust shop to cut out the secondary cats and resonators and weld in straight pipes than make a new midpipe.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 05:13 PM   #800
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedee View Post
is is the same price? wouldn't it cost much cheaper from say a muffler shop

or does this MAD offer something different.
thank you for help
I mean, they designed and engineered a specific pipe, diameter, connections, clamps, attachments, metal type, for their product in order for it to work properly and sound the specific kind of sound it has. Any shop can make a pipe but is it going to sound good and be the correct sizing and bolt ons for what it needs to be? maybe but that'll cost a hell of a lot more in labor and time than the $1k it'd cost for you to buy the MAD pipe.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 05:56 PM   #801
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4 Comp. X-Drive

Doesn't anyone speak english anymore or is it just a matter of trying to sound kool (when you're not)????

"...To make sure fitment was on point, the shop suggested (and I agreed) to not cut out both suitcases in one piece but rather cut them out separately to allow the natural bend between the two OE resonators to be retained and comfortably run over the support that runs between the two OE suitcases..."

When I first read this I thought maybe he was taking a trip and had two suitcases in the trunk. I mean resonators don't even look like suitcases. Acronyms are bad enough!

Oh well, just had to blow off some steam tonight. Putting on my helmet now.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 06:31 PM   #802
wowwitsgau
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000 x2, 2022 M3 Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by montrokc View Post
As noted above, I played around with a few different thoughts of how to start chopping up the exhaust and was considering (a) pulling both resonators and putting in an X-Pipe, or (b) pulling the secondary cats and the first (non-x-pipe) resonator.

As an initial first step, I (at home) permanently opened the valves by removing the exhaust-side valve piece and spring, which allowed me to wire tie the valves open AND place the valve control unit back on where it was from the factory to avoid prying eyes and needing to zip tie things anywhere… not a fan.

Anyway, I decided to take the first step of removing both resonators and putting in a speed-shop sourced X-Pipe. The shop I went to would be willing to cut out the secondary cats, but I wanted to see how the sound hit my ears with this first step. Result - I love it. Cold starts are loud (again, valves wide open) and driving volume is good. Nice deep tone and more pronounced burbles. Have not experienced any drone, and expect the rasp level will be under control - I’m still in the break in period and haven’t been able to get into the high revs to truly confirm.

I saw that Dinan released their own mid pipe and separate axle back muffler, which may be my step if I get bored with the current set up, but this is a STRONG change for relatively cheap. Also, as the valves are opened and essentially straight through, I’m not sure how much the Dinan muffler would change things…

Cost for the work was $700 all said for the shop to take down the exhaust, install/MIG weld an X-Pipe stainless steel in place of the resonators. To make sure fitment was on point, the shop suggested (and I agreed) to not cut out both suitcases in one piece but rather cut them out separately to allow the natural bend between the two OE resonators to be retained and comfortably run over the support that runs between the two OE suitcases. The X pipe was placed where the first suitcase previously was located, and the second suitcase was replaced with straight pipe. From what I can gather from videos posted here, the X-pipe does really help to merge the pulses and results in a smoother sound.

Overall - very happy with this and appreciate all the posts, input, etc… provided above! I read this thread 2 or 3 times before making the jump.

Pictures and video below!

Attachment 3131605

Attachment 3131606

Attachment 3131607

Attachment 3131609

https://youtube.com/shorts/tDzOuzQJdq0?feature=share
Could you do me a favor and look inside the two resonators that were taken out? Are the two inlets both straight through on each of them or are do they cross over in any way (H or X pipe)? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 07:02 AM   #803
Jonyxz
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 M/T

Secondary cat delete clip(stock resonators):

https://youtu.be/6fBvBYyVUOk?si=WT1nMcOQTW1WzLaT
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 06:38 PM   #804
S58King
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 CX

If your not gonna do downpipes id recommend dual midpipe over single i had it and it sounded AMAZING
Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602215.50
      12-25-2023, 08:05 AM   #805
docjavier
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 F10 535i

I was reading and maybe someone will benefit from my video. It is a bit long, but when I was looking at what combination I wanted to buy I wished I could find longer videos in different places.

03-15-2024, 07:07 AM   #806
lilmanvc15
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melsh113 View Post
Personally I found doing high flow primary cats on my car made a bigger difference then deleting my resonators and secondary cats. Obviously the secondary cat and resonator delete will add some sound to the car but not nearly as much as changing the primary cats did for me. Also, I dynoed my M3 and just from doing high flow cats I picked up an extra 20 whp which I was really surprised about. My M3 finally sounds like a true German performance car!
Could you post where you got yours from please and thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 10:06 AM   #807
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmanvc15 View Post
Catted downpipes will add a good amount of volume when combined with a mid pipe or deletes but alone they are a very subtle upgrade.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 10:47 AM   #808
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmanvc15 View Post
Not sure about the poster but i got the Active Autowerke catted on my RWD M4, and I'm getting the MAD catted downpipes on my new X-drive M4

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 11:08 AM   #809
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Not sure about the poster but i got the Active Autowerke catted on my RWD M4, and I'm getting the MAD catted downpipes on my new X-drive M4
You will definitely notice a volume bump and some extra flow compared to your current setup.

One of our customers dynoed recently.
Tune- Racechip
Burger intake
MAD catted Downpipe
Dinan catback

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4gg2...k3Y2Mya2YyYg==
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 12:19 PM   #810
dotjonnL
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335iX M-Performance

I currently have the Dinan X-pipe and was wondering if there was an off-the-shelf secondary cat delete thats compatible with it?

I saw Remus has one, but it states it's only compatible with their cat-back system.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 08:55 AM   #811
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Can someone comment maybe mike@x-ph.com if there is difference between AA and MAD single pipe in sound. Seem very similar in design but price point is different. Can you guys give some insight.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 09:33 AM   #812
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgelfen360 View Post
Can someone comment maybe mike@x-ph.com if there is difference between AA and MAD single pipe in sound. Seem very similar in design but price point is different. Can you guys give some insight.

They will offer the same sound at a lower price, as you mentioned.
Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602215.50
      04-05-2024, 10:47 AM   #813
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgelfen360 View Post
No difference in terms of the results, fitment, and quality.

Active Autowerke were the first to release this design

Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602215.50
      04-10-2024, 01:13 PM   #814
lilmanvc15
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Update, I took off the secondary cat and the first resonator. Wired open the exhaust to always open My goodness I feel like I am at GT3 RS sounding level or not to far off from it. You dont need any crazy exhaust system to give the car great tone.
Appreciate 1