BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-24-2024, 07:26 AM   #1
Scott Z
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4

Climate Control Fan Speed

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
How does the fan speed interact with the Auto mode?

A) Selected fan speed tries to maintain the speed that you select regardless of cabin temps.

B) Even if set to the highest fan speed, the fan will slow down as the desired auto temp is reached.

I,m not seeing the fan speed drop as desired temp is reached but maybe I didn’t wait long enough.

I read the manual and searched here. The description in the manual
is not clear.
Appreciate 1
Ezra168211.50
      03-24-2024, 09:54 AM   #2
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Fan speed is high at the beginning and then slows down once the temp is reached.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 11:35 AM   #3
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Z View Post
How does the fan speed interact with the Auto mode?

A) Selected fan speed tries to maintain the speed that you select regardless of cabin temps.

B) Even if set to the highest fan speed, the fan will slow down as the desired auto temp is reached.

I,m not seeing the fan speed drop as desired temp is reached but maybe I didn’t wait long enough.

I read the manual and searched here. The description in the manual
is not clear.
This was always something that confused me as to why you'd every need a fan speed setting if you have auto.

This is a thing in BMWs going back a long time. From what I understand, the fan speed setting in auto has both a minimum and maximum value for that setting, with each being higher or lower than a higher or lower setting.

So on "Very Low" the maximum fan speed would be something like a "moderate" amount of speed for medium, where "very low" in the medium setting would be a moderate amount of speed at the very low setting. Something like a stepped scale, here's a picture to illustrate what I'm trying to write:

I've never gotten any clear answers from anyone including anyone at BMW or a dealer, but from my experience in BMWs, this is kind of what the setting does, allowing you to have varying levels of comfort/speed of the fan for when the air is running. If anyone has any info/docs that precisely show how it works, I'm super interested.

For me, I just want auto and I want it to get to my set temp ASAP, but I also want the fan to be able to spin down to nearly nothing if it's not needed. I don't think that functionality exists with this system, so I just keep it on medium.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 12:13 PM   #4
kev7c7
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

In my experience dynamic mode vs balanced mode is a key factor. In dynamic I find the system has more liberty to drastically alter fan speed based on temps, where as in balanced the range seems to be narrower.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 08:57 PM   #5
Scott Z
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
This was always something that confused me as to why you'd every need a fan speed setting if you have auto.

This is a thing in BMWs going back a long time. From what I understand, the fan speed setting in auto has both a minimum and maximum value for that setting, with each being higher or lower than a higher or lower setting.

So on "Very Low" the maximum fan speed would be something like a "moderate" amount of speed for medium, where "very low" in the medium setting would be a moderate amount of speed at the very low setting. Something like a stepped scale, here's a picture to illustrate what I'm trying to write:

I've never gotten any clear answers from anyone including anyone at BMW or a dealer, but from my experience in BMWs, this is kind of what the setting does, allowing you to have varying levels of comfort/speed of the fan for when the air is running. If anyone has any info/docs that precisely show how it works, I'm super interested.

For me, I just want auto and I want it to get to my set temp ASAP, but I also want the fan to be able to spin down to nearly nothing if it's not needed. I don't think that functionality exists with this system, so I just keep it on medium.
You did a perfect job of explaining and I want exactly what you describe. Highest fan speed initially and then spin down to almost zero once the desired temperature is reached.

Your sketch is very clear but I hope it’s wrong. Makes no sense that the fan speed wouldn’t be fully variable.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 09:16 PM   #6
Scott Z
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev7c7 View Post
In my experience dynamic mode vs balanced mode is a key factor. In dynamic I find the system has more liberty to drastically alter fan speed based on temps, where as in balanced the range seems to be narrower.
Just spent some time searching and I don’t think I have the option of dynamic vs balanced.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 08:36 AM   #7
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Restricting auto mode to a certain fan speed range is, to me, the epitome of stupidity and overcomplicating features for the sake of adding features.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 09:23 AM   #8
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You did a perfect job of explaining and I want exactly what you describe. Highest fan speed initially and then spin down to almost zero once the desired temperature is reached.

Your sketch is very clear but I hope it’s wrong. Makes no sense that the fan speed wouldn’t be fully variable.
Yeah unfortunately I'm under the impression that's how it works, based on my own experience. Medium gives me the most variation of high vs low, while very high never spins the fan down a reasonable amount and very low takes way too long to cool or heat up the cabin.

Wish we had the option but I guess people in Europe like the way it works now more...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 11:34 AM   #9
Scott Z
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Restricting auto mode to a certain fan speed range is, to me, the epitome of stupidity and overcomplicating features for the sake of adding features.
Couldn't agree more. I was assuming someone was going to point out the obvious way to do this and I missed it.

It's stupid.

Related: I don't think I have the option to switch from balanced to dynamic. Can someone describe where it's found in the menu if I'm wrong?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 02:57 PM   #10
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Couldn't agree more. I was assuming someone was going to point out the obvious way to do this and I missed it.

It's stupid.

Related: I don't think I have the option to switch from balanced to dynamic. Can someone describe where it's found in the menu if I'm wrong?
I believe this is a difference of having "Automatic Program" enabled or not, that's the "auto" mode in the car, Dynamic is the "auto" mode for the fan direction setting (up/down/middle) while Balanced is the "middle" setting while you have auto turned off.

I never turn off automatic program, so I don't mess with it.
Appreciate 0