BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-22-2021, 04:45 PM   #1
M-Enthusiast
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 320d M (G20) M4 Comp RWD (G82)

Three issues with my new M4 - anyone else?

Dear G82 Owner & Test Drivers,

I received my G82 Competition last Wednesday. I have around 1500 km / 930 miles on it. Tomorrow will be the break-in-service. Besides the facts below I am pretty hyped about the car all the way around. Look, Performance and Driving Fun are insane!!! I received strong compliments about the looks of the car from various people. Even from an AMG Driver. Also very happy I did go for the RWD right away as the waiting for AWD would have killed me

I have 3 issues I will check with my dealer this week. But may you are able to help or experienced the same so far...?

1) The car has some noises in the cockpit on bumpy roads / when accelerating. It is noise from and within the upper middle area around the H&K center speaker above (it is not speaker related). I can not describe the sound as of yet. A little artificial. You might experienced the same?

2) The wind noise from the driver door / side window / side mirrors is pretty noticeable starting at lower speeds around 130kph / 81 miles. Did you experience the same?

3) The car is steering a little to the left. I dont mean street related stuff as the tires are pretty wide and so they are seeking street gutter... I mean when the steering wheel is centered the car starts to pull slightly to the left... All drive assists / lane assists are off.

Thank you in advance.

M-Enthusiast

Name:  Vorne Bearbeitet.jpg
Views: 7391
Size:  203.6 KB

Name:  Hinten Bearbeitet.jpg
Views: 7143
Size:  195.6 KB

Name:  Seite.jpg
Views: 7227
Size:  726.1 KB

Last edited by M-Enthusiast; 03-23-2021 at 02:55 AM..
Appreciate 3
JustChris17489.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
      03-22-2021, 05:13 PM   #2
spacecowboy85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3

I got the same issue with the steering wheel being offset a little to the left, I have an M3, I plan on bringing it up to service department during my break in service, other than that no issues
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 05:25 PM   #3
Kansr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Enthusiast View Post
3) The car is steering a little to the left. I dont mean street related stuff as the tires are pretty wide and so they are seeking street gutter... I mean the general steering tends to be a little to the left... Very minor.
Alignment issue? Or you lost a whee balance weight? Do you have the drive assist features on?

Interested to know what it is.
Appreciate 2
      03-22-2021, 06:21 PM   #4
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
While I don't have an M4 or M3, I can attest that my M2C steering wheel is canted very slightly to the right.

As far as pulling, I was told with how these cars camber is set up, it is for performance. Sometimes they will track straight, sometimes pull to the left, and sometimes pull to the right. I assume that's normal, but if yours is ALWAYS pulling, then you might want to have that checked.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 06:40 PM   #5
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Dear G82 Owner & Test Drivers,

I received my G82 Competition last Wednesday. I have around 1500 km / 930 miles on it. Tomorrow will be the break-in-service. Besides the facts below I am pretty hyped about the car all the way around. Look, Performance and Driving Fun are insane!!! I received strong compliments about the looks of the car from various people. Even from an AMG Driver. Also very happy I did go for the RWD right away as the waiting for AWD would have killed me

I have 3 issues I will check with my dealer this week. But may you are able to help or experienced the same so far...?

1) The car has some noises in the cockpit on bumpy roads / when accelerating from the upper middle area around the H&K center speaker above (it is not speaker related). I can not describe the sound as of yet. A little metallic / artificial. You might experienced the same?

2) The wind noise from the driver door / side window / side mirrors is pretty noticeable starting at lower speeds around 130kph / 80 miles. Did you experience the same?

3) The car is steering a little to the left. I dont mean street related stuff as the tires are pretty wide and so they are seeking street gutter... I mean the general steering tends to be a little to the left... Very minor.

Thank you in advance.

M-Enthusiast
Congrats! The car looks great in white! Do you have a regular version of that 3rd pic?
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2021, 06:48 PM   #6
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

What a beautiful car, is that BG or white i can't tell
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2021, 07:02 PM   #7
Jcali86
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmf8x View Post
What a beautiful car, is that BG or white i can't tell
Alpine white. The last image looks like it got deep-fried.
      03-22-2021, 07:06 PM   #8
gurns
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Dravit Grey

Great looking ride! Congrats!!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 02:40 AM   #9
M-Enthusiast
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansr View Post
Alignment issue? Or you lost a whee balance weight? Do you have the drive assist features on?

Interested to know what it is.
The steering wheel is centered and the car slowly begins to pull left. All drive assist / lane assist features are off.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 02:41 AM   #10
M-Enthusiast
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcali86 View Post
Alpine white. The last image looks like it got deep-fried.
Yes, Alpine White. The other pic was some HDR gimmick pick.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 02:43 AM   #11
M-Enthusiast
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Congrats! The car looks great in white! Do you have a regular version of that 3rd pic?
I am sorry currently just this gimmick pic.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 12:12 PM   #12
M-Enthusiast
Private
Germany
Rep

Quick Status Update:

1) The car has some noises in the cockpit on bumpy roads / when accelerating. It is noise from and within the upper middle area around the H&K center speaker above (it is not speaker related). I can not describe the sound as of yet. A little artificial. You might experienced the same? Resolved and fixed. Some speaker holder internally was not aligned / attached properly. Again it was not speaker noise related as speaker were turned off.

2) The wind noise from the driver door / side window / side mirrors is pretty noticeable starting at lower speeds around 130kph / 81 miles. Did you experience the same? Open. Not done as they tried to solve my steering issues.

3) The car is steering a little to the left. I dont mean street related stuff as the tires are pretty wide and so they are seeking street gutter... I mean when the steering wheel is centered the car starts to pull slightly to the left... All drive assists / lane assists are off. Open. Steering / Axle Measurement was done and it was identified that something was wrong. Altough, the rear axle could not be adjusted properly. Therefore, I could not take my car with me and they need at least tomorrow to check further. Very strange as I dont know what they could do besides checking the axle and potentially re-adjust. Further for the record: I did not bump into anything with my car/wheels or adjusted my chassis. I just drove properly with the car.

I guess this is the reason why everyone waits instead of buying brand new cars right from the release
Appreciate 3
Ximian1919.00
KoenG1428.50
poper37.50
      03-23-2021, 12:27 PM   #13
Ghozthunter
Eleet Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: a bimmer

Quote:
Quick Status Update:

1) The car has some noises in the cockpit on bumpy roads / when accelerating. It is noise from and within the upper middle area around the H&K center speaker above (it is not speaker related). I can not describe the sound as of yet. A little artificial. You might experienced the same? Resolved and fixed. Some speaker holder internally was not aligned / attached properly. Again it was not speaker noise related as speaker were turned off.

2) The wind noise from the driver door / side window / side mirrors is pretty noticeable starting at lower speeds around 130kph / 81 miles. Did you experience the same? Open. Not done as they tried to solve my steering issues.

3) The car is steering a little to the left. I dont mean street related stuff as the tires are pretty wide and so they are seeking street gutter... I mean when the steering wheel is centered the car starts to pull slightly to the left... All drive assists / lane assists are off. Open. Steering / Axle Measurement was done and it was identified that something was wrong. Altough, the rear axle could not be adjusted properly. Therefore, I could not take my car with me and they need at least tomorrow to check further. Very strange as I dont know what they could do besides checking the axle and potentially re-adjust. Further for the record: I did not bump into anything with my car/wheels or adjusted my chassis. I just drove properly with the car.

I guess this is the reason why everyone waits instead of buying brand new cars right from the release
I maybe able to chime in on the first one. I had this same problem on my g20 where the center plate on the dash will make a rattling noise. Not sure if that is what you are experiencing but I took the car to the dealer 3 times and they tried fixing it but it will always come back.
I ended up fixing it myself using some gasket maker and let it dry. Problem solved.
Shame I had to fix it myself but it was very annoying.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 01:59 PM   #14
mcjohnsonsg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghozthunter View Post
Quote:
Quick Status Update:

1) The car has some noises in the cockpit on bumpy roads / when accelerating. It is noise from and within the upper middle area around the H&K center speaker above (it is not speaker related). I can not describe the sound as of yet. A little artificial. You might experienced the same? [COLOR="Red"]Resolved and fixed. Some speaker holder internally was not aligned / attached properly. Again it was not speaker noise related as speaker were turned off. [/COLOR]

2) The wind noise from the driver door / side window / side mirrors is pretty noticeable starting at lower speeds around 130kph / 81 miles. Did you experience the same? [COLOR="red"]Open. Not done as they tried to solve my steering issues. [/COLOR]

3) The car is steering a little to the left. I dont mean street related stuff as the tires are pretty wide and so they are seeking street gutter... I mean when the steering wheel is centered the car starts to pull slightly to the left... All drive assists / lane assists are off. [COLOR="Red"]Open. Steering / Axle Measurement was done and it was identified that something was wrong. Altough, the rear axle could not be adjusted properly. Therefore, I could not take my car with me and they need at least tomorrow to check further. Very strange as I dont know what they could do besides checking the axle and potentially re-adjust. Further for the record: I did not bump into anything with my car/wheels or adjusted my chassis. I just drove properly with the car.
[/COLOR]

I maybe able to chime in on the first one. I had this same problem on my g20 where the center plate on the dash will make a rattling noise. Not sure if that is what you are experiencing but I took the car to the dealer 3 times and they tried fixing it but it will always come back.
I ended up fixing it myself using some gasket maker and let it dry. Problem solved.
Shame I had to fix it myself but it was very annoying.
Yep, that is a very common issue with the G20s...there have been several threads on front speaker rattle. Sounds like it may be a G80/82 thing as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 09:19 AM   #15
portimaoblue_g80
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3 Competition

I recently got my g80 m3, probably about 2-3 days after it was allowed to be sold which was on March 13th (I had ordered the car and it arrived on time but we needed to work out some numbers) and I love the car a lot but it’s had a couple of weird issues. I just want to know if anyone has had any similar experiences especially after reading the first post on this thread.
1) The engine makes a weird droning noise sometimes anywhere from 1200-2300 RPMs when cruising around, especially if the car is cold. Sometimes it is even accompanied by a vibration.

2) There are a lot of rattles coming from the back seat and trunk area.

3) I have slightly misaligned front bumper. It sticks out more on the left than the right.

I apologize in advance if anything I say doesn’t make any sense. This is my first BMW and I still have a lot to learn. I come from the world of AMG, LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 09:27 AM   #16
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmmmM2 View Post
While I don't have an M4 or M3, I can attest that my M2C steering wheel is canted very slightly to the right.

As far as pulling, I was told with how these cars camber is set up, it is for performance. Sometimes they will track straight, sometimes pull to the left, and sometimes pull to the right. I assume that's normal, but if yours is ALWAYS pulling, then you might want to have that checked.
My CS pulls a little to the right, my previous F80 pulled a little to the left.

I would always notice while in bumper to bumper traffic if I had to pee into a gatorade bottle the car would end up in a different lane....TMI?
Appreciate 1
MmmmmM22588.50
      03-24-2021, 10:14 AM   #17
CanuckM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
I would always notice while in bumper to bumper traffic if I had to pee into a gatorade bottle the car would end up in a different lane....TMI?

2021 G80 6MT sold
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 01:18 PM   #18
mcjohnsonsg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340 xdrive

With respect to item 2), look at the G20 forum. There are threads there about various rattles, including one that is pretty common that seems to come from the trunk/back passenger seat area. I believe it relates to one of the seals around the trunk and people have found a pretty simple fix for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 01:31 PM   #19
M-Enthusiast
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
My CS pulls a little to the right, my previous F80 pulled a little to the left.

Consider this feedback for response of the week award !!

In the meantime my BMW dealer is under direct consultation with BMW about my steering issues according to dealer rear axle related. Will be the 3rd day tomorrow my car is at the dealer...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 05:33 AM   #20
George78
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M8 comp '23, 911 turbo s '23

Did you solve the problem with the wind noise from the driver's door?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 09:47 AM   #21
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
In the meantime my BMW dealer is under direct consultation with BMW about my steering issues according to dealer rear axle related. Will be the 3rd day tomorrow my car is at the dealer...
Any resolution?
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 05:57 PM   #22
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

Sounds like toe is out. Alignment should fix it. If the wheel is cocked, they center it during the alignment. I believe the car has negative camber on purpose, but probably <1 degree.
Appreciate 0