G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Regional Forums USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

07-30-2022, 08:23 AM   #45
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
I guess they are scanning the key fob so they're trying to get close to it so the scanner can read the fob.
Technically not scanning the fob, the relay amplifies the signal from the fob so the car picks it up at longer range. the car is constantly sending out a challenge signal when the fob is in range it can respond with a code. By design this is a low power signal to reduce the range of operation. The relay amplifies the signal and increases range.

Anyone can buy/build these devices and the software to use them is open source. Like you said if someone wants to steal it they can, its just a matter of how much effort they want to expend on it.
Appreciate 2
Rux643.50
      07-30-2022, 08:43 AM   #46
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kez View Post
Just picked up my G83 last week. You guys are scaring the shit outta me!

If you have a garage, you're protected. Although there is a risk anytime you're driving around and parking it anywhere public. That's for any car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRacer523 View Post
Technically not scanning the fob, the relay amplifies the signal from the fob so the car picks it up at longer range. the car is constantly sending out a challenge signal when the fob is in range it can respond with a code. By design this is a low power signal to reduce the range of operation. The relay amplifies the signal and increases range.

Anyone can buy/build these devices and the software to use them is open source. Like you said if someone wants to steal it they can, its just a matter of how much effort they want to expend on it.

So in the case of my friend who had his Q60 stolen, those 2 guys he saw through his security cameras with the scanner. Would that scanner store a code needed to have driven away with his car?

Because of the scanner just amplifies the range, why were they circling his house with the scanner? Like did they get closer to where the fob would be, have the code in the scanner, then go up to his car and drive away?

It sucks i don't have a garage but i do have a long ass skinny driveway. Plus i live on a one way so if someone wanted to take one of my cars, they'd have to move the tesla and park it somewhere in the middle of my block lol.

Oh well, thank god for insurance.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 04:39 PM   #47
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
If you have a garage, you're protected. Although there is a risk anytime you're driving around and parking it anywhere public. That's for any car.

So in the case of my friend who had his Q60 stolen, those 2 guys he saw through his security cameras with the scanner. Would that scanner store a code needed to have driven away with his car?

Because of the scanner just amplifies the range, why were they circling his house with the scanner? Like did they get closer to where the fob would be, have the code in the scanner, then go up to his car and drive away?

It sucks i don't have a garage but i do have a long ass skinny driveway. Plus i live on a one way so if someone wanted to take one of my cars, they'd have to move the tesla and park it somewhere in the middle of my block lol.

Oh well, thank god for insurance.
There are multiple attack vectors. Not 100% sure what they were doing but most likely trying to amplify the signal from the fob to fool the car into thinking it was in proximity. They can then open and start the vehicle. The rolljam attack requires the driver to be locking or unlocking the car using the fob which is more suited to public places like parking lots. They can wait in a nearby vehicle and jam, record and replay one of the 2 stored codes.

Yeah adding a layer of physical security such as a garage or locked gates is a good idea. I have a garage and I also have ring cameras with person detection watching all sides of my house. Garage door is sensored as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 05:43 PM   #48
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
There are multiple attack vectors. Not 100% sure what they were doing but most likely trying to amplify the signal from the fob to fool the car into thinking it was in proximity. They can then open and start the vehicle. The rolljam attack requires the driver to be locking or unlocking the car using the fob which is more suited to public places like parking lots. They can wait in a nearby vehicle and jam, record and replay one of the 2 stored codes.

Yeah adding a layer of physical security such as a garage or locked gates is a good idea. I have a garage and I also have ring cameras with person detection watching all sides of my house. Garage door is sensored as well.
I'm not overthinking it because like i said earlier if someone really wants your car they will take it. Whether overnight when you're asleep, or caught unguarded at a public lot or place. Or flat out when you're driving at light, or even the point where i've seen videos of a car(s) blocking you in somewhere and they'll just take it by gunpoint etc.

But the way you described rolljam now i'm starting to think of a few scenarios in the past when i was taking the M3 out.

How close would that scanner have to be in order for those guys to get the code as i'm doing the unlock/lock to the car? Like could they do it from a block away or just cars away?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 05:55 PM   #49
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm not overthinking it because like i said earlier if someone really wants your car they will take it. Whether overnight when you're asleep, or caught unguarded at a public lot or place. Or flat out when you're driving at light, or even the point where i've seen videos of a car(s) blocking you in somewhere and they'll just take it by gunpoint etc.

But the way you described rolljam now i'm starting to think of a few scenarios in the past when i was taking the M3 out.

How close would that scanner have to be in order for those guys to get the code as i'm doing the unlock/lock to the car? Like could they do it from a block away or just cars away?
You're right. If they really want it, they will. Rolljam needs to be executed within range of the fob so from a car within range. Keep in mind it can be automated so there doesn't necessarily need to be a person in the vehicle executing the attack. Parking lots are prime areas.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 07:26 PM   #50
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You're right. If they really want it, they will. Rolljam needs to be executed within range of the fob so from a car within range. Keep in mind it can be automated so there doesn't necessarily need to be a person in the vehicle executing the attack. Parking lots are prime areas.
Ah ok i gotcha. My M3 is usually only parked on the street briefly when i take the C7Z out. And i park it directly in sight of my street facing security camera.

Do you know if BMW has a feature where it can put the car in limp mode if you report it stolen? I never seen a thread here talking about that so figure i'd ask lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 07:48 PM   #51
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ah ok i gotcha. My M3 is usually only parked on the street briefly when i take the C7Z out. And i park it directly in sight of my street facing security camera.

Do you know if BMW has a feature where it can put the car in limp mode if you report it stolen? I never seen a thread here talking about that so figure i'd ask lol.
Not that I am aware of. I've seen 3rd party immobilizer modules that can shut the fuel off to the car remotely but I don't think there is any stock functionality for that. Many used car dealerships that lend to the sub-prime market tend to install those to track and shut off cars when payment is not made.
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      07-31-2022, 08:34 AM   #52
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 COMP/SOLD

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3LISSA View Post
So if keys are kept in the faraday box inside the home and they try to use the relay to get access to the car it won't read… correct??
That's really the purpose of the faraday box.

A couple of years ago my friend had a Q60 and before his car got stolen, he saw 2 guys walking along the perimeter of his house. I guess they are scanning the key fob so they're trying to get close to it so the scanner can read the fob.

But not all faraday boxes are created equal. The one i bought on amazon, some people have tested it somehow. I figure if thieves have access to these scanners, other regular people who aren't thieves can too. But one amazon person took the box with the fob inside and walked up to his car and the car wouldn't unlock (like with keyless entry). But perhaps some cars are better than others as well with this type of safety/signal? I don't know.

In the end, i think if someone wants your car they can get it. But i think these faraday boxes, or even wrapping that box in foil like i did, can at least help. Or maybe make the thief think twice and they can move on.

But around where i am, if someone wants your car they'll get it without you around or in front of you, with force. Which happened to my friend with his scat pack. 3 dudes literally took it by force.
scary times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kez View Post
Just picked up my G83 last week. You guys are scaring the shit outta me!
Depending on where you live, be careful and mindful of your surroundings and who's at the light with you. Etc…. Sad times we live in..

Quote:
Quote:
So if keys are kept in the faraday box inside the home and they try to use the relay to get access to the car it won't read… correct??
Correct, the relay wont be able to amplify the signal from the fob.
When I'm home I'm gonna take the box outside and see if ir works with the keys in it. Lol the ultimate test lol

2011 E90 M3 Competition // Alpine White // ESS // RPI // 20" BBS LM's, blah blah

2021 G80 M3 Competition // Brooklyn Grey // KW Suspension // 12mm Spacers all around // Resonator Delete
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 09:05 AM   #53
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
When I'm home I'm gonna take the box outside and see if ir works with the keys in it. Lol the ultimate test lol
Yup. If the box is working, you should be able to take it right next to the car and have comfort access not work.

Not to scare further but remember you can lock/unlock and start (if you have the option) using Connected Drive. There's been vulnerabilities in that also.
Appreciate 1
M3LISSA796.50
      07-31-2022, 09:41 AM   #54
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yup. If the box is working, you should be able to take it right next to the car and have comfort access not work.

Not to scare further but remember you can lock/unlock and start (if you have the option) using Connected Drive. There's been vulnerabilities in that also.
I just bought a wheel u-lock and the original "club" for the steering wheel this morning off amazon. Haven't used one of those in decades lol.

I know thieves can get around that but if they really want the car, they'll have to work for it. And probably damage some shit in the process too.

The only thing we can do is not let it be too easy for these guys.
Appreciate 2
M3LISSA796.50
      07-31-2022, 06:14 PM   #55
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Connected drive ? Meaning my bmw app on my phone?

2011 E90 M3 Competition // Alpine White // ESS // RPI // 20" BBS LM's, blah blah

2021 G80 M3 Competition // Brooklyn Grey // KW Suspension // 12mm Spacers all around // Resonator Delete
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2022, 06:15 PM   #56
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I just bought a wheel u-lock and the original "club" for the steering wheel this morning off amazon. Haven't used one of those in decades lol.

I know thieves can get around that but if they really want the car, they'll have to work for it. And probably damage some shit in the process too.

The only thing we can do is not let it be too easy for these guys.
I bought one too don't judge me lmaooo

Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      07-31-2022, 07:48 PM   #57
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yup.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 05:34 AM   #58
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I bought one too don't judge me lmaooo
Crazy how we’re going backwards in terms of safety.

But maybe the new gen of thieves don’t know about these mechanical security devices as they rely on electronics to steal cars lol.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2022, 10:43 AM   #59
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yup.
And how do we go about protecting against that? Tin foil on the iPhones? Lol 😂

Appreciate 2
cvf2578.00
      08-05-2022, 11:51 PM   #60
Damsure
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Incoming 2023 M4 XDRIVE

Conceal Carry along with all of the above!

These fools are getting more and brazen with car jackings @ the gas stations,supermarkets and they follow you home etc! so i say conceal carry if you can no district attorney will charge you these days for getting car jacked and it's legal to kill them during a jacking! aka self defense trust me on this 1!
Appreciate 1
M3LISSA796.50
      08-06-2022, 10:25 AM   #61
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damsure View Post
These fools are getting more and brazen with car jackings @ the gas stations,supermarkets and they follow you home etc! so i say conceal carry if you can no district attorney will charge you these days for getting car jacked and it's legal to kill them during a jacking! aka self defense trust me on this 1!
I'm with you. In the process. They followed this guy home yesterday on Staten Island. He parked in backyard and they stole it within minutes and on the video you see the old man next door coming outside. Prob watched the whole thing but was scared.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 11:35 AM   #62
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm with you. In the process. They followed this guy home yesterday on Staten Island. He parked in backyard and they stole it within minutes and on the video you see the old man next door coming outside. Prob watched the whole thing but was scared.

Who's he?

Where are you following these thefts? Is there a live website or something we're not aware of? Curious to see the activity on this. So is it safe to say they're targeting M cars or BMW?

I received my club and wheel u-lock a couple of days ago. I do park my cars in tandem behind a locked gated driveway but still, i guess no where is safe. Who knew i had to do double security devices in my own driveway with a lock and cameras everywhere.

Crazy times we're living in.
Appreciate 1
M3LISSA796.50
      08-06-2022, 11:37 AM   #63
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The issue with carrying is that if a thief knows you're carrying, and so are they, now it's going to be a battle of who shoots and kills first.

Is it really worth it over a car? I'm all for fighting. If i know you don't have a gun, even if you're holding a knife, you're not going to bully me around. Fuck that.

But guns? All it takes is one trigger happy thug and there goes your life.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 06:57 PM   #64
Damsure
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Incoming 2023 M4 XDRIVE

Good Points all of you

I understand all your concerns with conceal carry but these fools are crazy these days so i say this, Rather be judged by 12 or Carried by 6! you decide!?!?!?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 09:49 AM   #65
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I understand all your concerns with conceal carry but these fools are crazy these days so i say this, Rather be judged by 12 or Carried by 6! you decide!?!?!?
That's what i'm saying. If those fools even know you're carrying or see you reach for your weapon, they pull the trigger.

So you can't be judged by 12 when your instinct to pull first was too late and you're carried by 6 anyway.

If i don't see a gun, i'm fighting. Knife, machete i don't care. But if i see the hammer, just take the damn car. I can always get another one.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 12:44 PM   #66
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Who's he?

Where are you following these thefts? Is there a live website or something we're not aware of? Curious to see the activity on this. So is it safe to say they're targeting M cars or BMW?

I received my club and wheel u-lock a couple of days ago. I do park my cars in tandem behind a locked gated driveway but still, i guess no where is safe. Who knew i had to do double security devices in my own driveway with a lock and cameras everywhere.

Crazy times we're living in.
I have some videos but for some reason I can't load them…. But locally I'm friends with a shit ton of car Lowell and they send me the videos that they get… I can upload some pics but idky the videos won't even show up on my camera roll to show you.

I do have the club on my car as well. It's old school, but hey. One more deterrent can't hurt
Attached Images

Appreciate 0