BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-07-2021, 07:16 PM   #287
My8thMandcounting
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Oh, is there a difference between the manual and auto for the placement of it? I guess I didn't realize that. I'm getting the auto.
In the auto, the tray is pretty substantial and easy to access. A bit awkward if you have two large coffee cups in the cupholders, but the plug doesn't interfere with access. That said, with the carplay app, you really don't have much need to pull the phone out since you can access most of it through the idrive.

Also, if you hold the voice command button in for about 3 seconds it gives you Siri instead of the car commands. So pretty easy to get voice command on the phone as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 07:18 PM   #288
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I can't recall if anybody ever responded regarding a built in hard drive to save music like the E9X or F8X had.
Don't see the option for it but you can connect via usb and play files off your phone
      04-07-2021, 07:22 PM   #289
My8thMandcounting
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
Do you have an Apple Watch? My hope is the door is easier to open with the watch.
I use my watch pretty frequently. It works better than the phone for locking and unlocking. Just tap the door handle a little to the rear of center and it works without a lag. I find the phone doesn't seem to catch as frequently as the watch. I don't think you can unlock the trunk with the watch or phone, but haven't really tried in earnest.

The watch/phone combo is a game changer (unless you ever valet!), since it's easier than remembering a key (or grabbing the wrong one!).
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 07:49 PM   #290
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by My8thMandcounting View Post
Quote:
Do you have an Apple Watch? My hope is the door is easier to open with the watch.
I use my watch pretty frequently. It works better than the phone for locking and unlocking. Just tap the door handle a little to the rear of center and it works without a lag. I find the phone doesn't seem to catch as frequently as the watch. I don't think you can unlock the trunk with the watch or phone, but haven't really tried in earnest.

The watch/phone combo is a game changer (unless you ever valet!), since it's easier than remembering a key (or grabbing the wrong one!).
Thanks, this is what I was hoping. My plan is too see how it is without the key.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 09:30 PM   #291
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by miles_early View Post
I don't. I have a brand new x5 as well and the tech seems to be even more impressive in m3. It notifies me when approaching red light cams, my x5 does not
The traffic camera service is subscription based, the newer cars come with a short free trial, but the app is available for purchase with any BMW having ID7/ live cockpit running 7/2019 or later. You should be able to go ahead and add it to your G05. Here's a thread with more detailed info for anyone looking: https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1735455
Jcali861479.00
      04-07-2021, 11:10 PM   #292
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My8thMandcounting View Post
Quote:

Do you have the 6MT or comp? I don't seem to have the remote access option. The car didn't come with one of those digital keys, and there's not a digital key option in either idrive or the connected app. Dealer thinks it should be there so was going to try and sort it out for me when I do the break in service, but I'm not hopeful
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 11:25 PM   #293
Bahamut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
I can't recall if anybody ever responded regarding a built in hard drive to save music like the E9X or F8X had.
Looked through the owners manual and there's no mention of any hard drive storage unfortunately
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25120.00
      04-07-2021, 11:26 PM   #294
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut View Post
Quote:
Looked through the owners manual and there's no mention of any hard drive storage unfortunately
Copy that! Thanks!
Appreciate 1
Bahamut709.50
      04-07-2021, 11:42 PM   #295
Jcali86
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Copy that! Thanks!
Check out Plexamp, part of Plex, if you want to use your phone as the HDD and run it through CarPlay. It has a native app. It's basically a way of using your phone as a FLAC HDD player. I'm a huge Plex fan so PM me if you want any help setting it up or info.
Attached Images

04-08-2021, 12:27 AM   #296
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcali86 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Copy that! Thanks!
Check out Plexamp, part of Plex, if you want to use your phone as the HDD and run it through CarPlay. It has a native app. It's basically a way of using your phone as a FLAC HDD player. I'm a huge Plex fan so PM me if you want any help setting it up or info.
Will this work for a dedicated hard drive too?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 01:41 AM   #297
Bahamut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinglagos View Post
1) Back to that wireless charger/clip for the 6MT, what is the length dimension? I got an oneplus 8 pro and I am starting to get stressed it won't fit...
2) Is there a special license plate holder delivered with the car? Looks like you can't attach the plate straight on the grill as the vertical nose bar is sticking far out.
3) Any pictures of the actual key fob? Looking for a case for it already

Thanks!!
Here's a more detailed answer for your question as well. As quoted from the manual for the 6MT phone charging pad:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
kyleb350423.50
      04-08-2021, 02:04 AM   #298
Jcali86
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcali86 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Copy that! Thanks!
Will this work for a dedicated hard drive too?
Your phone would wirelessly connect to a HDD plugged into a server (could just be an old laptop) that handles the metadata etc. You can stream at max bitrate or download to your phone and have that become, basically, a HDD that CarPlay would use (including the metadata)
      04-08-2021, 03:48 AM   #299
Kinglagos
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 G82

Quote:
Looks like DecemberStorm took care of questions 2 and 3, so I'll show you my measurements for the 6MT phone charger plate. Pardon the crude pics, as I couldn't fit my camera phone into the center console.

I just measured the actual chargeable area, and it's about 6 inches by 2.75-3 inches. Hope this helps!
You sir are an amazing person! Thank you!
Appreciate 1
Bahamut709.50
      04-08-2021, 05:20 AM   #300
Kinglagos
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 G82

Quote:
Here's a more detailed answer for your question as well. As quoted from the manual for the 6MT phone charging pad:
In your picture I can see there is space left and right beyond the actual wireless charging pad so I think their maximum is a bit conservative. 150mm/5.9 inch phones are a rarity these days anyways. In my F36 the wireless charger had a sliding notch that really did limit the phone size. Thank you!
Appreciate 2
      04-08-2021, 09:59 AM   #301
My8thMandcounting
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post
Do you have the 6MT or comp? I don't seem to have the remote access option. The car didn't come with one of those digital keys, and there's not a digital key option in either idrive or the connected app. Dealer thinks it should be there so was going to try and sort it out for me when I do the break in service, but I'm not hopeful
I have the competition. Might need to have the executive package to get the digital key, but haven't checked the website on that point (I do have the Executive Package on mine).
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 10:22 AM   #302
Snt282
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Dealer told me the manual doesn't get any of those options
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 12:11 PM   #303
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snt282 View Post
Quote:
Dealer told me the manual doesn't get any of those options
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I know the manual doesn't get the remote start (makes sense), but it may be that I couple of these other features are linked to that
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 07:10 PM   #304
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep

Now that people have had their cars awhile, what sort of gas mileage y'all seeing? In a tank of "normal" commuting in efficient mode I was 20.3MPG at fill up, which is about exactly what my wife's 4 banger gutless as hell Q7 gets doing the same run. There seems to be a massive difference in consumption in the different engine modes though. Similar tank but done with engine in "sport" got me closer to 15MPG. Sport+ seems to drink like a thirsty sailor, but damn the engine does sound a lot better in sport+...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 09:04 PM   #305
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
That's in the center console? As in you have to lift the lid to put your phone in there? If so thats way more hassle than I'd ever do. I know it's not a ton of hassle, but my level of motivation would stop at throwing it in the area of the cup holder. I don't want to have to be opening things. Also too much hassle to access it while you're driving (maybe at a light for instance).
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 11:44 PM   #306
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

How are the lower black plastic skirts, etc holding up as far as scratches and road wear?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 12:22 AM   #307
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Manual

Quote:
That's in the center console? As in you have to lift the lid to put your phone in there? If so thats way more hassle than I'd ever do. I know it's not a ton of hassle, but my level of motivation would stop at throwing it in the area of the cup holder. I don't want to have to be opening things. Also too much hassle to access it while you're driving (maybe at a light for instance).
Yes it’s pita for me for sure do to my trashed shoulders-yes I know I should get them fixed, it’s on the post COVID list. ATM I have a USBC to lighting cable plugged into the port in the armrest and phone lives on the seat or cup holder area. Console seems to close fine.

With a new 12 pro and wireless CarPlay the need to connect has been very low. Need to check if audio quality is comprised enough to be audible due to compression when wireless vs wired.
Notable-Giulia QV, MK7 Golf R man,991 Turbo,CTS-V3, CTS-V2 man Speed INC. build, E60 M5 SMG, E46 M3 ZCP man, E39 M5, E39 540 man, Porsche Cayenne Turbo EVOMS build, EVO X AMS build, Blobeye STI, 83’ RX-7 built by Alan Jackson racing, Volvo 164e
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 12:31 AM   #308
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Manual

Quote:
How are the lower black plastic skirts, etc holding up as far as scratches and road wear?
It’s only been 1300 miles but the roads around hear after a rough winter are full of debris. So far looking ok. I will wrap them in Xpel soon.
What’s never going to look good for more than a minute are the black painted wheels. Maybe some ceramic will help but I doubt it.
Notable-Giulia QV, MK7 Golf R man,991 Turbo,CTS-V3, CTS-V2 man Speed INC. build, E60 M5 SMG, E46 M3 ZCP man, E39 M5, E39 540 man, Porsche Cayenne Turbo EVOMS build, EVO X AMS build, Blobeye STI, 83’ RX-7 built by Alan Jackson racing, Volvo 164e
Appreciate 1