BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

12-21-2021, 08:54 PM   #23
Osage
Private
Rep
Drives:

No way this is true in my estimation because too many preorders, including myself, would reject delivery.

Mine is being built right now. The MyCar options still reflect CarPlay/Android Auto compatibility.

Will be interesting to watch this unfold…
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 09:27 PM   #24
dubzz24
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
No way this is true in my estimation because too many preorders, including myself, would reject delivery.

Mine is being built right now. The MyCar options still reflect CarPlay/Android Auto compatibility.

Will be interesting to watch this unfold…
For every delivery rejected they’ll just turn around and sell the car to someone else for more…

As someone with a car going in to production next month, this really sucks to hear. It won’t be a deal breaker for me personally but I’d hope that wired CarPlay/AA is available at least.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 10:18 PM   #25
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Ugh.

Just make wireless CarPlay a $500 option and the problem will take care of itself.
      12-22-2021, 09:51 AM   #26
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Prices are increasing and features are being deleted. That sounds about right.

In all seriousness, I'm so used to Android auto that this would have been a deal breaker for me, even though I love the car so much. I know, first world problems.

If this can be retrofitted in the future then I wouldn't have mind.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 10:14 AM   #27
mlover789
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: IG: m3npae - M3C G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by iviegatron View Post
Prices are increasing and features are being deleted. That sounds about right.

In all seriousness, I'm so used to Android auto that this would have been a deal breaker for me, even though I love the car so much. I know, first world problems.

If this can be retrofitted in the future then I wouldn't have mind.
i wasn't a fan of it because it kept getting disconnected if I had weak cell signal..

i think we are over-reacting, it is different codes so i am going to wait it out.

Also, BMW prioritize G8x series over their G2x series, so I expect them to keep features like this (example is the touch screens)
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 12:24 PM   #28
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlover789 View Post
i wasn't a fan of it because it kept getting disconnected if I had weak cell signal..

i think we are over-reacting, it is different codes so i am going to wait it out.

Also, BMW prioritize G8x series over their G2x series, so I expect them to keep features like this (example is the touch screens)
I'm in line for an M8 and was told the same sentiment - they will delete things from the cheaper cars to put them in the more expensive cars, but things are getting deleted from the M8 as well so....

I'm also in love with how seamlessly AA connects when I get in my car and Waze auto opens. There is no reason to ever use the stock nav now. I'd be and will be annoyed at some of these feature deletions, especially on a $130k car, let along an $85k car.
Appreciate 1
Neles185.00
      12-22-2021, 01:02 PM   #29
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Lol I would refuse the car. That's ridiculous.
Appreciate 1
zamboni1132.00
      12-22-2021, 01:10 PM   #30
Long.sns
Rep
Drives: 04' M3, 06' M5, 21 X5, 22' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
I'm in line for an M8 and was told the same sentiment - they will delete things from the cheaper cars to put them in the more expensive cars, but things are getting deleted from the M8 as well so....

I'm also in love with how seamlessly AA connects when I get in my car and Waze auto opens. There is no reason to ever use the stock nav now. I'd be and will be annoyed at some of these feature deletions, especially on a $130k car, let along an $85k car.
I feel your pain in spades. Upon delivery of my M3 in the beginning of December I noticed some unexpected changes. I had ordered the exec and prof drive package, which at the time of ordering included all the cameras and park assist.

BMW had no intention of telling me my order didn't come with cameras or park assist. At delivery, I mentioned to the sales person that it was "great that BMW integrated the front camera and no longer had it located in the center of the beaver teeth." To which the sales person replied, "yep you have so many hidden cameras parking will be a joke".

Well I guess the joke was on me because BMW deleted surround view and park assist as an option after I ordered!

Still hard to complain about anything else though...
Appreciate 1
snareman9054.50
      12-22-2021, 01:15 PM   #31
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long.sns View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post

I feel your pain in spades. Upon delivery of my M3 in the beginning of December I noticed some unexpected changes. I had ordered the exec and prof drive package, which at the time of ordering included all the cameras and park assist.

BMW had no intention of telling me my order didn't come with cameras or park assist. At delivery, I mentioned to the sales person that it was "great that BMW integrated the front camera and no longer had it located in the center of the beaver teeth." To which the sales person replied, "yep you have so many hidden cameras parking will be a joke".

Well I guess the joke was on me because BMW deleted surround view and park assist as an option after I ordered!

Did the dealer charge you for the missing equipment?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 01:17 PM   #32
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Lol I would refuse the car. That's ridiculous.
In this current automotive market, you're doing the dealer a favor; they'll just sell the car to someone at a markup, whom probably wasn't even aware that CarPlay was included (Yes, a lot of those outside of this forum do indeed exist).

I don't see the issue here, I would pay them $500 to remove CarPlay, as the interface is totally lacking and freezes up my phone.

The native iDrive system works better than CarPlay IMHO and doesn't require the Wi-Fi antenna, which BMW is in short supply of, to properly operate - including Spotify widgets and wireless music steaming, which instead communicates via the built in Bluetooth module.

The omission of the touch function, now that royally sucks but if you really want it and your pockets are deep enough, any retrofit is possible, after the fact.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 01:58 PM   #33
mjbernatz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loma View Post
This is ridiculous if it turns to be true:

More restrictions coming out of BMW https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1884564
And the hits just keep on coming!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 02:30 PM   #34
Ruyseart
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: M4 G82 xDrive

Apple CarPlay would be a real deal breaker for me. This is ridiculous in 2022.
Not that much problem with the touchscreen though, which I barely used twice in a year in my X5.
      12-22-2021, 05:44 PM   #35
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper View Post
Ugh.

Just make wireless CarPlay a $500 option and the problem will take care of itself.
BMW was the only manufacturer that charged for Carplay in the past and that didn't work out. They ended up giving everyone a no charge 99-year subscription.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 05:54 PM   #36
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by edofloat View Post
BMW was the only manufacturer that charged for Carplay in the past and that didn't work out. They ended up giving everyone a no charge 99-year subscription.
My point was they're running out of parts trying to put it in every car.

If they made it a paid option maybe half the people wouldn't order it, and those that cared could actually get it.
      12-22-2021, 05:59 PM   #37
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper View Post
My point was they're running out of parts trying to put it in every car.

If they made it a paid option maybe half the people wouldn't order it, and those that cared could actually get it.
Oh I get you, but they will take heat again if they try that...betting more people will still want it and push back if BMW is the only one charging. The un-winnable situation on all this stuff.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 06:18 PM   #38
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Turning down a pinnacle M car because it doesn't include CarPlay… 🤔

Good thing no one buys these cars for its performance aptitude or else statement like those might sound a tad bit absurd.. 😏
Appreciate 2
      12-22-2021, 06:24 PM   #39
meechy6ix0
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

Good thing no one buys these cars for its performance aptitude or else statement like those might sound a tad bit absurd.. 😏
Some of us have one car, and we need to enjoy it on a windy road as well as going to get groceries.
Appreciate 3
snareman9054.50
Loma398.00
      12-22-2021, 06:34 PM   #40
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long.sns View Post

Wow, I'd be pissed. There are some things I'm really looking forward to on the M8, like the B&W stereo, although I'm not convinced its going to be available when I get around to getting the car, but I assume I'll know that ahead of time before I sit in the car for the first time. I'd be really angry if no one told me stuff got deleted, and if I didn't get some kind of credit back on the cost.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 06:35 PM   #41
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Turning down a pinnacle M car because it doesn't include CarPlay… ��

Good thing no one buys these cars for its performance aptitude or else statement like those might sound a tad bit absurd.. ��
I enjoy these cars for the looks, performance and tech. For the price I'm paying I want and expect all three.
Appreciate 2
      12-22-2021, 06:52 PM   #42
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:

Come on that's not fair. This isn't some stripped out race car where you are ok not having any comforts. Almost everyone who buys this car isn't some track star, they drive it in traffic to the office and would expect that a car that costs 100k would have alot of the features that are being deleted.
Appreciate 2
      12-22-2021, 07:11 PM   #43
bimmermann88
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW g05

I just got off the phone with Bmw genius my build date got moved up to week 1 from week 3 😁! I thought the factory was shut down for the holidays so I'm not sure how it got bumped up but I'll take it ha! I asked about wireless CarPlay since I have a vin number she said if it shows on your build sheet that it is CarPlay/android auto compatible that it is going to have it and they will not remove it!
Appreciate 1
Osage49.00
      12-22-2021, 07:13 PM   #44
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Quote:

Come on that's not fair. This isn't some stripped out race car where you are ok not having any comforts. Almost everyone who buys this car isn't some track star, they drive it in traffic to the office and would expect that a car that costs 100k would have alot of the features that are being deleted.

I'm not making excuses for BMW's lack of ability to foresee and properly plan for this impeding issue, especially on a vehicle of this MSRP but some human had sex with a bat, triggering Covid, causing this chain reaction of unavoidable events, so here we are now..

However, I don't believe it should be a deal breaker on a vehicle model where its tagline was once: "Racecars shouldn't be confined to the racetrack."
Appreciate 0