BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

09-26-2020, 08:36 PM   #133
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

The F80 M3 gained almost 200lbs during production years. My question has always been how? What options are causing such a weight gain, or what materials are being replaced?

I noticed the German site has adaptive suspension as an option, how much do we think that weighs vs passive? Parking sensors, backup camera, etc... It would be interesting to have a detailed list of options weighed to avoid unnecessary weight. One would assume a base manual no option car with 18/19” wheels and carbon seats would weigh less than the listed weight.

Some posters post the old weighting system was off and the cars weighed more than listed. Is the new curb-weighting system based on an average weight or a fully loaded car with all available options?
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2020, 08:54 PM   #134
Habber
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
If weight is such an issue, get the M2 which is more like the previous M cars of the past.

I think people like to complain just to be heard when in reality, there are plenty of options from both BMW and the competition.
Because some us need 4 doors, so the M2 isn't an option.
I get that, but 4 door cars won't be coming on the light so I don't know why there are such high expectations for family sedans that people want to take to the track.
And I agree with that, but it isn't what you said. You said get the m2 if your worried about weight. Not an option for me. And the weight is probably the one concern is have with the new G8X. For context, I have a G20 M340Xdrive, so am not really surprised by the weight but was hoping it would be about 100lb to 150lb lighter for the M3.
Got it!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 09:47 PM   #135
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
The F80 M3 gained almost 200lbs during production years. My question has always been how? What options are causing such a weight gain, or what materials are being replaced?

I noticed the German site has adaptive suspension as an option, how much do we think that weighs vs passive? Parking sensors, backup camera, etc... It would be interesting to have a detailed list of options weighed to avoid unnecessary weight. One would assume a base manual no option car with 18/19” wheels and carbon seats would weigh less than the listed weight.

Some posters post the old weighting system was off and the cars weighed more than listed. Is the new curb-weighting system based on an average weight or a fully loaded car with all available options?
It’s a fuzzy subject that gives a lot of leeway to manufacturers and to individual countries to decide what is “standard equipment” and what is “required operational items/fluid”, if a driver and/or luggage should or should not be included etc. I’m not sure if BMW decided to update the F8X weight themselves or was told to do it due to misleading initial numbers of some reason or another.

That said, weights of cars from the same manufacturer at the same point in time listed in the same country should be fairly comparable. In this case 2020 F8X listed numbers should be reasonably fair to compare with G8X listed numbers in the same country. What can be extremely misleading is individual weighing their cars and then compare to a listed weight of another car.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 11:19 PM   #136
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
It’s a fuzzy subject that gives a lot of leeway to manufacturers and to individual countries to decide what is “standard equipment” and what is “required operational items/fluid”, if a driver and/or luggage should or should not be included etc. I’m not sure if BMW decided to update the F8X weight themselves or was told to do it due to misleading initial numbers of some reason or another.

That said, weights of cars from the same manufacturer at the same point in time listed in the same country should be fairly comparable. In this case 2020 F8X listed numbers should be reasonably fair to compare with G8X listed numbers in the same country. What can be extremely misleading is individual weighing their cars and then compare to a listed weight of another car.

I weigh all my cars on the same truck scales for years, the scale rounds to the nearest 25lbs and they have been very accurate to listed weights of manufactures. My stripper 2015 M3 was always right around 3525-3550 lbs with only options being 19" wheels, HK radio, nothing more. It had passive suspension.

The G80 might drive great, but if a stripper 6MT version is over 3800lbs that is very unfortunate, when there was so much talk of a lighter "pure" model that has simply vanished and is now just a base with 6MT. I am hoping the newer curb-weight manufacturer rules are giving us weights on a fully loaded sun roof optioned car with full leather and all options. Giving hope that a lightly optioned car with buckets could come in lighter than listed weight.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 12:15 AM   #137
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
I weigh all my cars on the same truck scales for years, the scale rounds to the nearest 25lbs and they have been very accurate to listed weights of manufactures. My stripper 2015 M3 was always right around 3525-3550 lbs with only options being 19" wheels, HK radio, nothing more. It had passive suspension.

The G80 might drive great, but if a stripper 6MT version is over 3800lbs that is very unfortunate, when there was so much talk of a lighter "pure" model that has simply vanished and is now just a base with 6MT. I am hoping the newer curb-weight manufacturer rules are giving us weights on a fully loaded sun roof optioned car with full leather and all options. Giving hope that a lightly optioned car with buckets could come in lighter than listed weight.
One of the mods eluded to that the G8X weights come from the first batch of dealer show cars which he indicated/believed to be fairly loaded. Whether this is correct or not I can’t say. I only know that the 2020 M4 MT was last listed as 3625 lbs. just before it was removed.

When you say your cars do you do so with or without a driver and full fluids? All of these things matters to get fair numbers. In the end it’s a futile comparison since it’s so polluted numbers and very hard to know what you need to do to match the car used for the listed number.

Our Cayenne was listed at a US curb weight near 4300 lbs...yeah right...

Last edited by solstice; 09-27-2020 at 12:21 AM..
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11490.00
      09-27-2020, 01:44 AM   #138
Avaley
Captain
Rep
Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK

Garage List
In my view, the G8x is a grand touring car and no longer targeting a purist demographic.

We need to pray the G87 gains less weight and doesn't get too downtuned.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9702.50
      09-27-2020, 07:51 AM   #139
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
the M adaptive suspension on the F8x was lighter than the passive suspension, that's been well documented. I would suspect it's the same on the G8x.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 10:17 AM   #140
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyM View Post
What the hell BMW.

First, the looks - Hard pass

Then I read the specs to HOPEFULLY recover...

3900lbs? With a dad-bod driver like myself, I'd be nearing almost 4,100lbs. The F8x LOST weight going from the E9x platform (even if by not a lot)

ZF Auto? (Great in M5/M8 but it's a TT V8 with 600tq so expected)

Anyone else completely disappointed by the weight figure?

EDIT: I just realized that they announced the F8x M3 at 3350+ lbs and real world weight was 3560. If that same math applies.. this could be a 4,300lb car....
Brave ourselves too, BMW has wisely chose not to publish X Drive car weights as this is +75/80kg in the regular series cars so add another near 200lbs I guess for those cars.

I'm not hating on the new car at all, I really rather like it but, I recall the F8X release had lots of fancy animations about the CF driveshaft, the M4 lightweight trunk, the roof, the bracing etc etc. Feels like the main things focused on are the videos of the (very expensive) ADDITIONAL items I will need to buy to make my M car complete from the M Perf catalogue.

Anyway yes the weight, I also was disappointed but not too surprised.
      09-27-2020, 01:03 PM   #141
solstice
Major General
Rep

Looking again at the G82 MT data I noticed that it’s listed at 3830 lbs not 3840. So the increase against the last listed F82 MT is 205 lbs not 215 lbs for whatever it’s worth.

The launch info list a 21 lbs weight saving with the CF bucket seat. I assume that is the total saving for both seats together or is it 42 lbs in total?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 01:32 PM   #142
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaley View Post
In my view, the G8x is a grand touring car and no longer targeting a purist demographic.

We need to pray the G87 gains less weight and doesn't get too downtuned.
I've noticed that the F82 M4 seems to have a slightly different demographic than the E92 M3. A lot of the badge whore types, people who drive recklessly, etc. Not saying the M4 wasn't purchased by a lot of BMW enthusiasts, but I think it had a lot of appeal to the casual observer who "just wants a BMW."

The M2, from what I've noticed, has more traditional enthusiast buyers; people who actually value steering/handling, a manual gearbox, and an overall more visceral and engaging driving experience.
Appreciate 2
OG///M1003.50
Avaley732.00
      09-27-2020, 01:45 PM   #143
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

We'll have to wait until we see customer cars to better understand the impact the 'average equipment' may have on the weight.
Appreciate 1
solstice5456.50
      09-27-2020, 01:47 PM   #144
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Brave ourselves too, BMW has wisely chose not to publish X Drive car weights as this is +75/80kg in the regular series cars so add another near 200lbs I guess for those cars.

I'm not hating on the new car at all, I really rather like it but, I recall the F8X release had lots of fancy animations about the CF driveshaft, the M4 lightweight trunk, the roof, the bracing etc etc. Feels like the main things focused on are the videos of the (very expensive) ADDITIONAL items I will need to buy to make my M car complete from the M Perf catalogue.

Anyway yes the weight, I also was disappointed but not too surprised.
So many people on this forum looove Porsche and BMW is moving in that direction. You want the good CF stuff? Pay for it.

I expect BMW will become more tiered in its performance offerings. No more buying a stripper F8X and having access to the CF roof, CF propshaft, CF engine brace, magnesium oil pan.
Appreciate 1
Avaley732.00
      09-27-2020, 01:49 PM   #145
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I've noticed that the F82 M4 seems to have a slightly different demographic than the E92 M3. A lot of the badge whore types, people who drive recklessly, etc. Not saying the M4 wasn't purchased by a lot of BMW enthusiasts, but I think it had a lot of appeal to the casual observer who "just wants a BMW."

The M2, from what I've noticed, has more traditional enthusiast buyers; people who actually value steering/handling, a manual gearbox, and an overall more visceral and engaging driving experience.
Same observation.
If this is proven true, I'd say the G80/2 is going in the right direction.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 02:33 PM   #146
Avaley
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredbym View Post
Same observation.
If this is proven true, I'd say the G80/2 is going in the right direction.
As in the market segmentation is working for the G8x for the casual buyer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
So many people on this forum looove Porsche and BMW is moving in that direction. You want the good CF stuff? Pay for it.

I expect BMW will become more tiered in its performance offerings. No more buying a stripper F8X and having access to the CF roof, CF propshaft, CF engine brace, magnesium oil pan.
Spot on and I agree, BMW can't justify charging 85k for a purist sports car at that niche with Porsche and the C8 now, so they sell a tricked out specialized GT car for the mass market family buyer looking for an alternative to the C63, RS5 and maybe Panamera / low end 911s?

Adding all the latest creature comforts and options is a business decision so BMW can get a piece of that Porsche profit margin by selling a 100k flagship M car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post

Precisely....the real competition for the M2/G87 is at the 60k Supra, 400z, RS3, model 3P, c43, m340i alternative. I also really don't think BMW can compete at the 100k track car price point dominated by Porsches and C8s.

I honestly suggest that those that really value low weight look at the Alpine A110 which can keep up with a GT4 on the track because for the lack of a better word, BMW is targeting upper middle class casuals and will be largely used by the soccer mom.

Last edited by Avaley; 09-27-2020 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 03:30 PM   #147
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Looking again at the G82 MT data I noticed that it’s listed at 3830 lbs not 3840. So the increase against the last listed F82 MT is 205 lbs not 215 lbs for whatever it’s worth.

The launch info list a 21 lbs weight saving with the CF bucket seat. I assume that is the total saving for both seats together or is it 42 lbs in total?
LOL, 10lb lighter on a 2 ton car (almost) is hardly worth noting, but judging from your responses in this thread, you REALLY want this to be lighter by whatever means necessary.
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321116.50
      09-27-2020, 03:38 PM   #148
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
LOL, 10lb lighter on a 2 ton car (almost) is hardly worth noting, but judging from your responses in this thread, you REALLY want this to be lighter by whatever means necessary.
I want it to be as close to correct as possible. If you look at the thread overall you will see that I’m not the one pushing exaggerations...
Appreciate 2
xlover2191.00
      09-27-2020, 04:10 PM   #149
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:

10kg for both seats (as per BMW M CEO in the video interview).

You're really trying to convince yourself that the weight increase isn't that significant . Tell me, what have they done on the G8X to shed weight over the G2X (besides the CF roof)?

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 04:31 PM   #150
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post

You're really trying to convince yourself that the weight increase isn't that significant . Tell me, what have they done on the G8X to shed weight over the G2X (besides the CF roof)?
Nothing. The weight was fine as it was for the F80 and for every other generation, though the E36 really changed the dynamics of the car which was difficult to get used to.

I never said I’m trying to lower the weight of the G8X. I’m not very concerned about it. I’m looking forward to see what the overall package feel like behind the wheel.

I do think it’s a pity when people trying very hard to talk themselves (and potentially others) out of this car by very likely exaggerating the weight gain. It’s way to early to call out a 300+ gain when the closest apples to apples numbers we have show pretty much a single digit over 200 lbs. If that’s a deal breaker no problem but don’t give up on it by what looks likely to be exaggerations.

The AT or looks is more definitive. If you can’t stand AT or MT its not the car for you. Same with looks, if looks are a deal breaker for you and you hate it there isn’t much you can do. The weight however, calm down unless 200 lbs is not a hard no.

Edit: I read your Q wrong, you asked what they (BMW) did not me .
As for BMW it seems they didn’t do much new this time other than offer the CF seats.

Last edited by solstice; 09-27-2020 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 04:31 PM   #151
Avaley
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post

They have done a horrible job on the weight and BMW intended these base versions to weigh 4k lbs. Perhaps the CS variants can shed 100 pounds but unfortunately the entire auto industry adds weight with each iteration.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 04:34 PM   #152
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaley View Post
They have done a horrible job on the weight and BMW intended these base versions to weigh 4k lbs. Perhaps the CS variants can shed 100 pounds but unfortunately the entire auto industry adds weight with each iteration.
The base version doesn’t weigh 4K lbs.
Appreciate 1
Avaley732.00
      09-27-2020, 04:42 PM   #153
elitex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M8C Coupe, 21 X5MC

Garage List
It's funny how so many are consumed with the weight when so few here actually track their cars. I bet most can't even tell a difference between 3900 vs 3700 lbs cars.

So much talk about weight and no one has even driven the car yet. I really think this car is going to surprise a lot of people.
21 X5M MBB, 20 Evora GT, 20 C63S Coupe,19 X5 50i, 18 Giulia QV, 18 M5, 17 Evora 400, 18 LX570, 17 GT350,18 M4 Comp,17 R8 V10 ,17 M3 Comp,17 GT350,16 Escalade Plat ESV, 16 570S,16 911 GTS,15 M5, 15 LX570, 13 M5,13 Viper,14 Cayman S,13 M3,13 S4,10 RX8,12 A4,10 G37, 04 Mini Cooper S, 08 Scion TC, 06 Altima V6, 05 Altima, 01 Altima, 00 Altima, 94 Explorer, 92 Toyota Pickup, 98 Altima
Appreciate 1
solstice5456.50
      09-27-2020, 04:45 PM   #154
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Nothing. The weight was fine as it was for the F80 and for every other generation, though the E36 really changed the dynamics of the car which was difficult to get used to.

I never said I’m trying to lower the weight of the G8X. I’m not very concerned about it. I’m looking forward to see what the overall package feel like behind the wheel.

I do think it’s a pity when people trying very hard to talk themselves (and potentially others) out of this car by very likely exaggerating the weight gain. It’s way to early to call out a 300+ gain when the closest apples to apples numbers we have show pretty much a single digit over 200 lbs. If that’s a deal breaker no problem but don’t give up on it by what looks likely to be exaggerations.

The AT or looks is more definitive. If you can’t stand AT or MT its not the car for you. Same with looks, if looks are a deal breaker for you and you hate it there isn’t much you can do. The weight however, calm down unless 200 lbs is not a hard no.
Using your logic, the last official weights quoted on the German BMW website were 1515kg/1540kg for a 6MT/DCT M4. In the EU press release, the G8X MT/8AT are quoted at 1700kg/1725kg. That's a 185kg (407lb) increase for both. Now, I doubt that it will be that much, but thinking that it will be 200lb is on the overly optimistic side. There's a reason why BMW is being very hush on the weight of these cars...

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 09-27-2020 at 10:33 PM..
Appreciate 2
Avaley732.00
solstice5456.50