BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW XM (G09) Forums General BMW XM Forum Am I getting a good deal? Need to know asap

03-24-2024, 12:01 AM   #67
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Here’s the short version; The XM comes limited for the first 300 miles. Once you reach that point, you’ll have full horsepower and torque. No service is required. The 1200 mile break-in service is the same as you’ve experienced on other M vehicles. You’ll make a service appointment for them to change the oil and adjust the valves and differential fluid. You won’t notice any difference when you get your vehicle back from service, but you certainly will after the 300 mile threshold.

E-control is the electric motor. If you want to get to the 300 and 1200 mile thresholds quicker, disable e-control and it will be engine only. For convenience, I setup my M1 button to do just that. There’s also an option to start the vehicle with the EV or not. When I got my vehicle back after the break-in service, I set it back to hybrid mode, but I still prefer the engine on at all times. If you set up your M1 button to sport mode, it will always run the motor.

I would not attempt to use launch control until you’ve gotten through the 1200 mile break in service, but that’s just me. Certainly don’t do it before the 300 mile threshold - and again - these thresholds are on the engine not the overall miles. In other words, if you tote around town using the electric motor at low speeds, those miles will not count towards the break-in periods. It’s really nice having the option to drive in either mode or both at the same time. Just get through your break-in periods before you really cut loose.
Interesting, so the car literally just automatically puts the extra power towards the motor after you hit 300? Did it notify you or it just happens? Did you notice a difference? What if I put it on sport plus everything now, even that isn’t full power until after 300 miles?

Sorry when you say disable e control, is there an actual button to disable or you mean set up the M buttons to sport plus mode on hybrid to avoid electric or e control?

Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 12:05 AM   #68
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here’s the short version; The XM comes limited for the first 300 miles. Once you reach that point, you’ll have full horsepower and torque. No service is required. The 1200 mile break-in service is the same as you’ve experienced on other M vehicles. You’ll make a service appointment for them to change the oil and adjust the valves and differential fluid. You won’t notice any difference when you get your vehicle back from service, but you certainly will after the 300 mile threshold.

E-control is the electric motor. If you want to get to the 300 and 1200 mile thresholds quicker, disable e-control and it will be engine only. For convenience, I setup my M1 button to do just that. There’s also an option to start the vehicle with the EV or not. When I got my vehicle back after the break-in service, I set it back to hybrid mode, but I still prefer the engine on at all times. If you set up your M1 button to sport mode, it will always run the motor.

I would not attempt to use launch control until you’ve gotten through the 1200 mile break in service, but that’s just me. Certainly don’t do it before the 300 mile threshold - and again - these thresholds are on the engine not the overall miles. In other words, if you tote around town using the electric motor at low speeds, those miles will not count towards the break-in periods. It’s really nice having the option to drive in either mode or both at the same time. Just get through your break-in periods before you really cut loose.
I saw your reply on a post on the boost feature so that makes sense. It uses the electric motor to boost acceleration by pressing down the left paddle. Interesting. I’ll hold off until after break in on that.

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 12:06 AM   #69
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfan9 View Post
Interesting, so the car literally just automatically puts the extra power towards the motor after you hit 300? Did it notify you or it just happens? Did you notice a difference? What if I put it on sport plus everything now, even that isn’t full power until after 300 miles?

Sorry when you say disable e control, is there an actual button to disable or you mean set up the M buttons to sport plus mode on hybrid to avoid electric or e control?

Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it
You will see a notification on the display when you’ve reached the necessary 300 miles. And yes, you will most certainly notice a huge difference. I would still take it somewhat easy until you get through the 1200 mile break-in service.

Regarding e-control, yes, you will need to setup one of your M buttons to disable it if you want to. If you set one of those buttons up to sport mode, the engine is going to always be running. Just make sure not to forget to push it when you start the vehicle because if you don’t, you’ll be driving electric until you mash it.

While it may not matter as much on a hybrid, I would limit how many times you actually use launch control because it does cause excessive wear on the electric motor. The full EV’s warn you not to do this very often, so I wouldn’t do it at every stoplight just because you can.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 12:11 AM   #70
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You will see a notification on the display when you’ve reached the necessary 300 miles. And yes, you will most certainly notice a huge difference. I would still take it somewhat easy until you get through the 1200 mile break-in service.

Regarding e-control, yes, you will need to setup one of your M buttons to disable it if you want to. If you set one of those buttons up to sport mode, the engine is going to always be running. Just make sure not to forget to push it when you start the vehicle because if you don’t, you’ll be driving electric until you mash it.

While it may not matter as much on a hybrid, I would limit how many times you actually use launch control because it does cause excessive wear on the electric motor. The full EV’s warn you not to do this very often, so I wouldn’t do it at every stoplight just because you can.
Ok so just to confirm, I see “hybrid” “electric” and “e control” and you are saying I should NOT be on e control or I need to always be in e control? Is e control motor only? Hybrid is both, electric is just electric so I assume e control is gas only and I can’t remember if I choose e control for M1 and 2 or I set up the M buttons separately and then turn car on e control every time I turn it on?

After the 300 miles is there a way to have the car start in e control or hybrid everytime? I don’t like how quiet it is on start, I want to hear the exhaust when I turn it on

Appreciate 1
      03-24-2024, 12:15 AM   #71
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok so just to confirm, I see “hybrid” “electric” and “e control” and you are saying I should NOT be on e control or I need to always be in e control? Is e control motor only? Hybrid is both, electric is just electric so I assume e control is gas only and I can’t remember if I choose e control for M1 and 2 or I set up the M buttons separately and then turn car on e control every time I turn it on?

After the 300 miles is there a way to have the car start in e control or hybrid everytime? I don’t like how quiet it is on start, I want to hear the exhaust when I turn it on
Just setup your M1 button to start in sport mode and the engine will always be running. You’ll be fine.

It sounds like you’re trying to master the entire vehicle in one day, that’s going to be hard to do even if you’ve driven M vehicles before. I had an iX M60 for 10 months before this one, so was already familiar with EVs.

If you drive around in sport mode all the time like I do, you’ll never need to worry about plugging in your battery to charge.

I’m going to bed, I’ll try to answer more questions for you tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 12:15 AM   #72
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I think I found the answer here: https://www.bmwblog.com/2023/03/24/bmw-xm-m-modes/

The only thing that threw me off is when you said disable e control as I think I need to be on e control to only use the motor and get to the break in (300)

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 12:17 AM   #73
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just setup your M1 button to start in sport mode and the engine will always be running. You’ll be fine.

It sounds like you’re trying to master the entire vehicle in one day, that’s going to be hard to do even if you’ve driven M vehicles before. I had an iX M60 for 10 months before this one, so was already familiar with EVs.

If you drive around in sport mode all the time like I do, you’ll never need to worry about plugging in your battery to charge.

I’m going to bed, I’ll try to answer more questions for you tomorrow.
Sorry :/ yes I’m impatient . I will always be in sport mode, I’m a power guy and have little interest if any in the electric motor.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 12:20 AM   #74
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry :/ yes I’m impatient . I will always be in sport mode, I’m a power guy and have little interest if any in the electric motor.
I appreciate your honesty and I’m the same way. Zero patience. And none of us bought these vehicles to save the planet. 😂😂😂

And you do want the electric motor because that’s where you get the extra 200 instant, no lag horsepower. You just don’t want it by itself.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 01:11 AM   #75
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate your honesty and I’m the same way. Zero patience. And none of us bought these vehicles to save the planet. 😂😂😂

And you do want the electric motor because that’s where you get the extra 200 instant, no lag horsepower. You just don’t want it by itself.
True!

I need to find some M perf parts for this car, not seeing much (normally I go all in on mirrors, diffuser, side skirts, tune, etc) and I may just leave the car as is as I love the frozen black and CF is hard to see on it anyways but I think I want to get new 23 inch wheels, some 5 spoke black ones to show off the red calipers a bit more.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 01:16 AM   #76
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
True!

I need to find some M perf parts for this car, not seeing much (normally I go all in on mirrors, diffuser, side skirts, tune, etc) and I may just leave the car as is as I love the frozen black and CF is hard to see on it anyways but I think I want to get new 23 inch wheels, some 5 spoke black ones to show off the red calipers a bit more.
This thing is a beast and you’re going to love it. OK, I’m really going to bed now. It’s 1:15 AM here and I’m old.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 01:30 AM   #77
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This thing is a beast and you’re going to love it. OK, I’m really going to bed now. It’s 1:15 AM here and I’m old.
Haha ok go to bed! Talk soon.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 06:23 AM   #78
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM/XB7

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
I think it was getting a little late last night and there was some confusion🥱

Electric mode- only use electric motor no ICE (unless you push pedal all the way)

Hybrid- Both electric and ICE but uses electric miles initially especially if comfort drivetrain settings or not pushing gas pedal far

Econtrol- uses both electric and ICE but makes forces ICE use and electric miles are preserved

Two ways to break in engine quickly:
1) econtrol on
2) drive only in hybrid mode with max sport settings

Both of these ways can be assigned to M buttons for quick selections
Appreciate 2
TXSchnee1316.50
      03-24-2024, 06:27 AM   #79
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank you for this, I was literally just about to ask you about this. I’m confused on the 300 mile thing? Every M car I’ve had has the 1,100 mile break in but I don’t think anything actually gets unlocked power wise, but with this car I saw there’s the same break in service at 1,100, but what is the 300 mile thing? Does it automatically engage more power? Or it lets you have the car start in non electric mode? I noticed it starts in electric super quiet, so I configured my M buttons so I switch it to the M button right away every time.

Also, do you know what econtrol mode is? I see electric, and hybrid (which is the most powerful mode) but what’s e control?

Last question, the left (downshift paddle shifter) says “boost up” or something on it. Does it actually do anything or it’s just down shifting?
Boost gives you a few seconds of added assist from the electric motor for the ICE while driving. I use it to pass people on highway all the time. Activate by pulling and holding paddle shifter and your instrument panel will show you it’s active.
Appreciate 1
Padfan9816.50
      03-24-2024, 08:51 AM   #80
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XM Label View Post
I think it was getting a little late last night and there was some confusion🥱

Electric mode- only use electric motor no ICE (unless you push pedal all the way)

Hybrid- Both electric and ICE but uses electric miles initially especially if comfort drivetrain settings or not pushing gas pedal far

Econtrol- uses both electric and ICE but makes forces ICE use and electric miles are preserved

Two ways to break in engine quickly:
1) econtrol on
2) drive only in hybrid mode with max sport settings

Both of these ways can be assigned to M buttons for quick selections
If you turn turn off e-control, no electric motor. If he just sticks to sport mode with one of his M buttons, he’ll have nothing to worry about because the engine will always be running.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2024, 08:58 AM   #81
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
If you turn turn off e-control, no electric motor. If he just sticks to sport mode with one of his M buttons, he’ll have nothing to worry about because the engine will always be running.
Hmmmm. I think we are same page but there is still electric motor with e control off (hybrid mode) in comfort settings…..sport settings forces ICE in both e control and hybrid modes
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 09:02 AM   #82
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XM Label View Post
Hmmmm. I think we are same page but there is still electric motor with e control off (hybrid mode) in comfort settings…..
I was referring to no e-control with hybrid mode disabled just to get him through the break-in period. If he just sticks to always running in sport mode, he’ll achieve the same thing without having to disable anything.

The only time I really use the electric motor (only / no M buttons) is when I’m leaving late at night to go to the convenience store or something like because I don’t want piss off the neighbors. I normally press my M1 button the second I start the vehicle under normal circumstances. I have it set for all balls mode with the exception of some of the suspension and braking settings. I leave those for the M2 button.

I believe you do something similar. Who wants to drive this without the engine?1! 😂😂😂
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 09:11 AM   #83
patrikr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i, 2020 Model X LR

We all mean the same thing but VirtualGuitars refer to it as “disable e-control” which to me is confusing as you actually want drive in mode e-control to ensure engine is on all the time. Or just put the powertrain to Sport and it does the same thing.
Appreciate 1
XM Label928.50
      03-24-2024, 09:15 AM   #84
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Ah got it, that makes sense. Either way, I think you and I got a solid deal. I talked to a few people that have a higher monthly payment with 10k down (vs 5k) on the base model, which was like 20K less.

QQ, what tires came with your XM? I thought I’d get pirellis but I have the 22 inch wheels w the red accents and they come with Yokohama… I’ve only had Michelin on all my M cars.
I’m so confused. The pictures you posted of your car have the 23s…
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 09:17 AM   #85
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrikr View Post
We all mean the same thing but VirtualGuitars refer to it as “disable e-control” which to me is confusing as you actually want drive in mode e-control to ensure engine is on all the time. Or just put the powertrain to Sport and it does the same thing.
I didn’t mean to confuse anyone. All I was trying to say is if you disable hybrid mode and turn e-control off, there is no electric motor at all. It is effectively disabled. If you scan through all of the replies, I did simplify my answer by saying just stick to sport mode and the engine will always be running. I should’ve just led with that and stuck with it. Like me, he’s very thorough, so I was just trying to explain it although I did not do a very good job. My apologies.

In my defense, it was 1 o’clock in the morning and I’m 51. 😂😂😂
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 09:18 AM   #86
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWM3 View Post
I’m so confused. The pictures you posted of your car have the 23s…
He has the 22s. You can only get the red and black wheels on 22s. There were three of us replying to those parts of the thread, so there may be some confusion as to who’s talking about who. “XM Label” and the OP both have 22s.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 09:31 AM   #87
patrikr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i, 2020 Model X LR

Quote:
I didn’t mean to confuse anyone. All I was trying to say is if you disable hybrid mode and turn e-control off, there is no electric motor at all. It is effectively disabled. If you scan through all of the replies, I did simplify my answer by saying just stick to sport mode and the engine will always be running. I should’ve just led that and stuck with it. Like me, he’s very thorough, so I was just trying to explain it although I did not do a very good job.

In my defense, it was 1 o’clock in the morning and I’m 51. 😂😂😂
1 AM?!? I’m “only” 47 and can barely stay awake past 11 PM these days LOL.

For me the confusing part is the term “disable e-control” as that option doesn’t exist. We have three drive modes:

Electric - full EV
Hybrid - mix between EV and ICE
E-Control - maintain or charge the battery

So what you want to do is actually be in E-Control mode for the ICE to run all the time to break in the engine.

I can’t remember if it also requires the Powertrain to be in Sport mode. I have a hunch it does as I remember enabling that on my first day and honestly haven’t changed it since, even after I changed my M2 button to Hybrid mode. But I could be wrong about that.
Appreciate 1
Padfan9816.50
      03-24-2024, 09:35 AM   #88
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrikr View Post
1 AM?!? I’m “only” 47 and can barely stay awake past 11 PM these days LOL.

For me the confusing part is the term “disable e-control” as that option doesn’t exist. We have three drive modes:

Electric - full EV
Hybrid - mix between EV and ICE
E-Control - maintain or charge the battery

So what you want to do is actually be in E-Control mode for the ICE to run all the time to break in the engine.

I can’t remember if it also requires the Powertrain to be in Sport mode. I have a hunch it does as I remember enabling that on my first day and honestly haven’t changed it since, even after I changed my M2 button to Hybrid mode. But I could be wrong about that.
I only messed with those settings until I got through my break-in periods. I have changed my M1 button from the default settings to sport plus which makes the engine run full-time. That’s all he really needs to do from day one. I have also tweaked all of the other parameters with the exception of sport braking. I don’t want to heat up the brakes unnecessarily for normal, day-to-day driving.

If I want to drive quietly, all I do is start the vehicle and not press one of the M buttons. So unless I mash it, it will drive electric-only. I recently forced myself to drive that way for two weeks, but it wasn’t nearly as fun to drive. I also didn’t like having to plug-in every two days. If the engine is always running, you literally never need to plug it in to charge.
Appreciate 1
Padfan9816.50