BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

05-01-2023, 02:26 PM   #45
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by element56 View Post
Tow hook plate mount kit with plate stays in the trunk. in 25 years of no front plate i've only have had one issue. a meter maid in san francisco decided they were super bored as I still had plenty of time on the meter. fix it ticket resolved in less than 20 min after issued and as soon as it was signed off I took the plate off in the precinct parking lot and put it back in the trunk.

never drill holes. tow hook plate mount is the only solution.
There are a lot of other solutions besides drilling holes or tow hook mount. I personally use 3M double sided automotive trim tape. On my wife's Cayenne, it's held the plate on for 10 years. On my cars, I tape it on for a little while so it gets nice and dirty and beat up. Then I pull it off, rub a little dirt into the double sided tape and stick it in the trunk. If I get pulled over, I'll pull it out and say "it was mounted using adhesive but it fell off, let me put it back on". Can't do that with a clearly brand new plate though.
Appreciate 2
2011ninja3403.50
EXE462101.50
      05-01-2023, 08:02 PM   #46
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin3008 View Post
Hey all...I thought the group would find this funny. Since I haven't had enough time in my M3 lately, I decided to drive into work to downtown Chicago today. I had a great drive. On Michigan Ave, I see a cop bust a u-turn behind me. He waits until the light turns green and lights me up. I definitely wasn't speeding while sitting at the light. He comes up to my window and says something to the effect of - "Man, nice car! I've never see one of these in person. And I love the color! I just wanted to let you know that your front plate is missing. I wanted to make sure it wasn't stolen, but you probably just don't want it covering up the grill. Have a great day."
Well, all’s well that ends well.
But as soon as I read Chicago I thought, that’s your first mistake.

Do you think he’ll be so kind if he sees you again?

Might be time to plate up, sadly.
Here in Daho we have representatives working on laws to make front plates unnecessary, but the sheriffs are fighting it cause it’ll make their jobs a bit harder I guess.

I’m hopeful it passes, but honestly… between a quarter to half the cars on the road here don’t put front plates on, and I mean everything from beat up shitboxes to pick ups to minivans to nice cars.

They’d do nothing but pull people over here if they cared.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 03:13 PM   #47
dJt3xtbook
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82

25 months into a 36 month lease and no issues without having my front license plate mounted yet. Hope I can make it another 11 months without any incidents.
Appreciate 0