BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

08-18-2022, 04:11 PM   #1
8262S
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Cruise control — how to set new speed?

Hello, I am about 2 weeks into our 2022 G80 and am learning about the cruise control. I use it even in the city because it is waaaay too easy in this car to look down at the speedometer and surprise yourself.

So I get initially setting it by pushing the center bottom button. I get the cancel and resume.

But I do not know how to set a new speed (say just drove into a new speed zone) without turning it off and back on with the bottom center button.

When I push the “set” instead of setting current speed, it set the speed limit speed.

I keep my speed less than 10 over, which is no ticket territory in WI. So I am never setting at exactly the speed limit.

Any ideas? Is there a setting for the “set” button hidden in the iDrive 7 functions that is giving me the speed limit?

It is annoying having to turn it off and on, or worse yet use the toggle switch to go from 64 down to 42. Why can’t I just slow down to my desired speed and hit “set”?
      08-18-2022, 06:18 PM   #2
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Yes, there is a setting for this. I'n the assistant systems settings you can set a margin. Like +5 and the car will then always go over the current limit to the amount you set there when you press the SET button.

Check this video:

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 06:42 PM   #3
8262S
Captain
Rep

That is stupid.

Why can’t set maintain current speed?

Sometimes I want to go 5 over, sometimes I want to go 8 or 9, sometimes I am following a wingman and … then I go the speed limit.

The Germans are always overthinking things in cars, aren’t they?

In my son’s Mercedes C300 there is no volume display and the HVAC fan settings go up to 7. He just broke it to me today that the M3 HVAC fan goes up to 9.
Attached Images

Last edited by 8262S; 08-18-2022 at 06:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00
      08-22-2022, 08:01 PM   #4
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

Set is for the cruise auto to speed limit. Use the speed down arrow to set once cruise is on like most cruise control out there.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 09:10 PM   #5
figuec56
Daniel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 330eX

Garage List
2023 BMW 330ex  [0.00]
It's has options you set for how fast over you want to go. Over 40mph I set to 9mph over and under 40 mph I set to 5mph over. Also you have hit set every time you pass a new speed limit if you want it to adjust. Played with it on the way back from PCD.

Also toggle switch on left side of steering will allow you to add/subtract as little 1 mph or 5mph.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 07:45 AM   #6
stewie177
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lotus Exige 410

The slider control in the middle allows you to set the speed in increments of 1 or 5mph. You can do it when in cruise, or when it's in standby
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 09:08 AM   #7
8262S
Captain
Rep

Yes I know about the little knob that lets me adjust in 1 or 5 mph increments.

I just thought “set” for a new speed would make sense, but apparently the Germans disagree with me….

It also annoys me that cruise control boots me out of M1, but that is likely bc in M1 I have DSC off and it set on MDM 4WSport.
      08-23-2022, 06:29 PM   #8
figuec56
Daniel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW 330ex  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8262S View Post
Yes I know about the little knob that lets me adjust in 1 or 5 mph increments.

I just thought “set” for a new speed would make sense, but apparently the Germans disagree with me….

It also annoys me that cruise control boots me out of M1, but that is likely bc in M1 I have DSC off and it set on MDM 4WSport.
I thought you could force it to do that if you disable some of the intelligent features. I'll check on my drive in tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 01:55 PM   #9
8262S
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by figuec56 View Post
I thought you could force it to do that if you disable some of the intelligent features. I'll check on my drive in tomorrow.
I would love to do that. Thanks.

Instead I am just using the bottom middle button to cancel speed, turning cruise control off, when I know I am going into a new speed zone. Then when I hit it again it captures my current speed.

I also don’t know how to get rid of the lane hold feature when I try to change lanes without using the signal (which is not against the law as long as you aren’t obstructing any other car).
      08-26-2022, 08:35 AM   #10
figuec56
Daniel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW 330ex  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8262S View Post
Quote:
I would love to do that. Thanks.

Instead I am just using the bottom middle button to cancel speed, turning cruise control off, when I know I am going into a new speed zone. Then when I hit it again it captures my current speed.

I also don’t know how to get rid of the lane hold feature when I try to change lanes without using the signal (which is not against the law as long as you aren’t obstructing any other car).
Lane keep assist: see picture hit button, select configure individual. Can adjust most safety features here

Cruise control: car -setting-drive? Then there should be options for cruise control. If you select off for speed limit assist the controls will work more like a traditional cruise control. Also I believe if you switch modes to distance only you can use the set button for the speed you are at.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 05:28 PM   #11
8262S
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Lane keep assist: see picture hit button, select configure individual. Can adjust most safety features here

Cruise control: car -setting-drive? Then there should be options for cruise control. If you select off for speed limit assist the controls will work more like a traditional cruise control. Also I believe if you switch modes to distance only you can use the set button for the speed you are at.
The Genius dude at the dealership helped me disable lane keep assist.

I am going back to see him. The three cool things that the Genius dude showed me in two minutes made me realize it was definitely worth having someone help me understand the system and what is available.

Negative, I tried it today.

On the plus side, the Genius helped me set the "SET" button to 8 over the speed limit. It is actually quite useful as that's what I normally drive at, and it is just a lot easier to push that one button when the speed limit changes versus watching until I get to the speed I want to capture.

That being said, if it were up to me the "SET" button would capture current speed.