BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

08-28-2022, 01:59 PM   #1
8262S
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Is the R8 worth the extra $250 over the R7?

I am a newbie to radar detectors. I am not going to be doing a lot of integration or apps or anything like that.

I want something to hang under the rear view mirror and tell me if radar is up the road. I don’t want to buy power user features if I am not going to use them (and I am probably not). The most I will do is use it along with Waze on CarPlay.

Based on that is the R8 worth $250 over the R7.

I am seeing the R7 for $479 and a $25 discount, while the R8 is $699.
      09-05-2022, 04:34 AM   #2
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AR M4 Comp Xdrive

Well, it is the latest and greatest. Besides what is improved internally, the mute/dim button is on the front of the R8 instead of on top on the R7. It's not the end of the world, but if you're using a blendmount under your mirror it is an inconvenience to have to pull down the front of the detector to reach the buttons on top.
      09-05-2022, 09:33 AM   #3
8262S
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjet04 View Post
Well, it is the latest and greatest. Besides what is improved internally, the mute/dim button is on the front of the R8 instead of on top on the R7. It's not the end of the world, but if you're using a blendmount under your mirror it is an inconvenience to have to pull down the front of the detector to reach the buttons on top.
Thanks I should have updated this to say I bought the R7. I didn’t want to pay for bleeding edge tech when the R7 is still a very high performing and well regarded detector.

The mute memory button is on the left side (which I used a lot the first several days…) and takes squeezing both sides of the detector between thumb and index finger. Not a huge deal.

Once programmed I am not sure I will ever touch the buttons on top. It seems like that is more of a stationary use, and not while driving.

I did get the specific Blend Mount for the R7 and it is awesome. Great fit and a very low profile mount in relation to the mirror.
      09-05-2022, 10:13 AM   #4
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I forgot the side vs top button arrangement. I’m loving my R8 and the Blendmount and mirror tap are excellent. I wasn’t sure about tackling the mirror tap on my own. I’m glad I gave it a try. Even though it took me longer than others, thanks to numerous YouTube videos and forum members I got it done.
      09-05-2022, 10:58 AM   #5
8262S
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I forgot the side vs top button arrangement. I'm loving my R8 and the Blendmount and mirror tap are excellent. I wasn't sure about tackling the mirror tap on my own. I'm glad I gave it a try. Even though it took me longer than others, thanks to numerous YouTube videos and forum members I got it done.
My son is fearless when it comes to car repairs and mods. The tap was simple for him.

I routed the cable through the center split, under the detector hanger, and across the top of the detector.

Doing it that way the power cord is almost hidden. I have seen some cords hanging down from the side of the mirror trim cap and the center routine is a lot cleaner install.
      09-05-2022, 04:52 PM   #6
moonluv810
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3, 2018 BMW M3, 2022

Sorry, can't help to decide between R7 vs R8.
But I thought this might be useful in your consideration. I have an R7 with a remote. I mounted the remote on the top of the steering column in front of the dash cluster. It's super convenient that I can hit the mute button easily without fumbling trying to press a button on the radar unit. As an added bonus, the LEDs are right in front of my line of sight.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 11:11 PM   #7
8262S
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonluv810 View Post
But I thought this might be useful in your consideration. I have an R7 with a remote. I mounted the remote on the top of the steering column in front of the dash cluster. It's super convenient that I can hit the mute button easily without fumbling trying to press a button on the radar unit. As an added bonus, the LEDs are right in front of my line of sight.
Is this it? Seems like a great idea. Not sure I want to hide the wires, but I guess that's where my fearless son comes in.

https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-RDA-HD.../dp/B07BBVC7JQ
      09-05-2022, 11:14 PM   #8
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does the remote require another cable that needs to be hidden?
      09-05-2022, 11:51 PM   #9
moonluv810
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8262S View Post
Quote:
Is this it? Seems like a great idea. Not sure I want to hide the wires, but I guess that's where my fearless son comes in.

https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-RDA-HDWKT-Detector-Hardwire-Button/dp/B07BBVC7JQ
That's the one.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 11:55 PM   #10
moonluv810
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Does the remote require another cable that needs to be hidden?
The remote has two cables coming out of it: one going to the radar unit and another for power.

I ran the cables under the dash, tapped the power from the cigarette lighter from the center console and tucked the radar cable along the weather stripping on the A-pillar. It virtually looks "stock".
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-06-2022, 06:55 AM   #11
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I think if I had the R7 I might give that a go? As of now I'm very pleased with my current setup.
      09-06-2022, 07:02 AM   #12
8262S
Captain
Rep

The mute button on the side does not irritate me enough to go through all that. It certainly didn’t irritate me enough to spend another $250 on the R8.