BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

07-15-2022, 08:40 PM   #1
8262S
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

MyBMW app -- how does it connect to the car?

This is probably a really dumb question, but the real point is do I need to pay for a data connection for the vehicle?

My CA said "no."

I asked him how the app connected to the car, and he said "satellite."

Is there literally a free satellite connection to these cars that lets the MyBMW app talk to them?

(And no, I am not talking about Bluetooth or Wifi, I am talking about connecting to the car from miles away from it.)

Thanks, and are there still no such thing as dumb questions?
      07-15-2022, 09:01 PM   #2
wooblewobble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid

Haha. Why do people just make up shit when they don't know the answer? It most definitely is not satellite. The cars have, for lack of a better way to describe it, built-in cell phones with mobile data connections. If you look around on My Garage site, you'll see the car's phone number listed. I believe in the US, BMW uses AT&T.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 09:54 PM   #3
8262S
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooblewobble View Post
Haha. Why do people just make up shit when they don't know the answer? It most definitely is not satellite. The cars have, for lack of a better way to describe it, built-in cell phones with mobile data connections. If you look around on My Garage site, you'll see the car's phone number listed. I believe in the US, BMW uses AT&T.
The satellite receiver gets installed after they unlock the extra 100hp at the 1200 miles. Duh.

So the real answer is as I suspect -- I have to pay for a data plan, correct?

Friggin' mission impossible satellite connection in my M3.
      07-15-2022, 10:30 PM   #4
8262S
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8262S View Post
The satellite receiver gets installed after they unlock the extra 100hp at the 1200 miles. Duh.

And I should add that what is described is similar to my wife's Volvo. The car has a data plan.

That was what I was expecting and the CA's answer just didn't make any sense to me.
      07-18-2022, 01:24 PM   #5
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Quote:
[COLOR="Red"]Haha. Why do people just make up shit when they don't know the answer?[/COLOR] It most definitely is not satellite. The cars have, for lack of a better way to describe it, built-in cell phones with mobile data connections. If you look around on My Garage site, you'll see the car's phone number listed. I believe in the US, BMW uses AT&T.

No, you don't need a data plan. A data plan is only needed if you have the WiFi hotspot option, which is a useless feature anyway
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 02:45 PM   #6
wooblewobble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
No, you don't need a data plan. A data plan is only needed if you have the WiFi hotspot option, which is a useless feature anyway
Right, you don't need to set up any kind of separate data service directly with a provider. Once the included ConnectedDrive stuff runs out, paying BMW for that service will include any necessary data connectivity, which BMW in turn would get from the relevant wireless carrier.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 10:38 PM   #7
8262S
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Right, you don't need to set up any kind of separate data service directly with a provider. Once the included ConnectedDrive stuff runs out, paying BMW for that service will include any necessary data connectivity, which BMW in turn would get from the relevant wireless carrier.
That is the question I should have asked. I just didn't know the terminology and services.

How long is the complimentary ConnectedDrive service, and how much is it when I have to pay for it?

I knew car connectivity wasn't free. Of course I suppose it could pull from my WiFi at home, and on the road from my phone through Apple CarPlay.
      07-27-2022, 07:54 AM   #8
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Quote:
Right, you don't need to set up any kind of separate data service directly with a provider. [COLOR="Red"]Once the included ConnectedDrive stuff runs out[/COLOR], paying BMW for that service will include any necessary data connectivity, which BMW in turn would get from the relevant wireless carrier.
That is the question I should have asked. I just didn't know the terminology and services.

How long is the complimentary ConnectedDrive service, and how much is it when I have to pay for it?

I knew car connectivity wasn't free. Of course I suppose it could pull from my WiFi at home, and on the road from my phone through Apple CarPlay.
The car comes with a 4 year subscription
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 03:02 PM   #9
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Just like any other telematics system, the car has a dedicated communication module with IMEI and phone number to go along with it.
The central comm center makes the call to the vehicle, switches to data, then accesses the necessary data or sends whatever command initiated by the user.

Just FYI, when I was working for a company that developed/manufactured the telematics system for probably the world's 1st telematics system company, we had the capability to make 'stealth call' through a call center simulator.

When the call is made, the occupant in the vehicle will have no knowledge whatsoever that a call is established.
We could access all data of the vehicle, including listening to the conversation through the vehicle mic.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 10:13 PM   #10
8262S
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
The car comes with a 4 year subscription
For a premium car like this that is good to know!