Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

11-27-2023, 04:22 PM   #1
misterpiz
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact w/ G80

Good evening all!

Looking at swapping to all seasons for the cold weather, anyone running Continental DWS06's on their spring/spacer setup?

Currently on 825Ms with H&R Springs with 12mm Front 15mm rear spacers. Rubbing on PZero's but not bothersome.

Main questions are how do you like them, do you rub, and anything else that you might find good to know.

Appreciate it gang!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 08:43 PM   #2
dj_intrinsic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 M3 6MT

I’m on them on KWhas and the Apex 20” recommended setup (285 front 305 rear) and have no rub. They are my year round tire and have had no issues. Another good recommendation that would have a bit more sport capabilities are the Pilot Sport AS4. I would have chosen those but aren’t available in the same width.
Attached Images

2023 G80 MT / AW / Fjord Blue/Black | KW HAS | Apex VS5RS F:20x10+8 285/30-20 R:20x11+18 305/30-20 | Maxton Street Pro Splitter | OEM M3CS Grille | SST Valve Controller | CS Style Yellow DRL | MAD Non-Res Single Midpipe
Past: 2018 X3 M40i | 2016 M-Sport X1 | 2013 MT M-Sport 328i | 2021 Audi A6 Allroad
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2023, 08:46 PM   #3
mdr955
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_intrinsic View Post
I’m on them on KWhas and the Apex 20” recommended setup (285 front 305 rear) and have no rub. They are my year round tire and have had no issues. Another good recommendation that would have a bit more sport capabilities are the Pilot Sport AS4. I would have chosen those but aren’t available in the same width.
Where are you located - I’m planning for the same thing - all year round on the contis.

Can you push them in good weather and they respond well?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 06:41 AM   #4
misterpiz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_intrinsic View Post
Thanks for the input boss, I’m going with Conti’s because AS4’s were not in stock haha.

Appreciate it!!
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2023, 09:59 PM   #5
SoCalBimmerGuy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Individual

I am literally going through this same dilemma. I can get both and I am curious which is better it seems it’s a half a dozen of one half the dozen of another. Are the Michelins worth the couple of extra hundred dollars?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 11:26 PM   #6
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Why All Seasons? If you're swapping for winter you should get a good set of winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 06:36 AM   #7
mdr955
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Why All Seasons? If you're swapping for winter you should get a good set of winter tires.
Depends where you live…winters are good if it snows a lot and roads are ice covered but in places where it’s cold and snows but roads are not typically snow covered that much all seasons are more practical. Also where I am personally in New England winters suck in October/November/March/April because there is little or no snow but it’s often in the 30s and dry or 40s and rain and you can’t drive the summers confidently. During the actual winter we have plenty of days that are dry and mid 40s which again suck for true snow tires. The high performance all seasons are great in my opinion. I plan to use them year round.
Appreciate 2
Llarry16522.00
Needsdecaf6801.50
      11-30-2023, 08:52 AM   #8
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdr955 View Post
Depends where you live…winters are good if it snows a lot and roads are ice covered but in places where it’s cold and snows but roads are not typically snow covered that much all seasons are more practical. Also where I am personally in New England winters suck in October/November/March/April because there is little or no snow but it’s often in the 30s and dry or 40s and rain and you can’t drive the summers confidently. During the actual winter we have plenty of days that are dry and mid 40s which again suck for true snow tires. The high performance all seasons are great in my opinion. I plan to use them year round.
I can't imagine where in NE you'd live that your winters aren't consistently below freezing for months on end even if you don't get snow. Winter tires aren't just about driving in the snow, they're about driving in winter *weather*, which includes dry cold air and colder rainy days. Anything below 40-45 I'd prefer to have a winter tire no matter what condition it is. All Seasons are "okay" in every season, but Winters will excel/be preferable in winter time.

Driving on winter tires in those 4 months where it's 30-40 is still going to be completely fine and won't damage or degrade your tires any faster than normal.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 09:44 PM   #9
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
If you insist on running all seasons, the DWS06s are one of the best options out there. Have you looked into Pzero Winters? They might be what you are looking for.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 10:01 PM   #10
Prossx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 G82 6MT SPY/YMB

So far impressed with the Continental DWS06+, on stock sizing/suspension. Ran the previous version for years on F80 and now + version on the G82 RWD. Sub freezing, rainy days, light snow never an issue.
mdr955359.00
Llarry16522.00
      12-01-2023, 05:42 AM   #11
Rh6363
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Soon to be bmw m3

Conti has the softest side walls. Does that give anyone issues?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 06:50 AM   #12
mdr955
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I can't imagine where in NE you'd live that your winters aren't consistently below freezing for months on end even if you don't get snow. Winter tires aren't just about driving in the snow, they're about driving in winter *weather*, which includes dry cold air and colder rainy days. Anything below 40-45 I'd prefer to have a winter tire no matter what condition it is. All Seasons are "okay" in every season, but Winters will excel/be preferable in winter time.

Driving on winter tires in those 4 months where it's 30-40 is still going to be completely fine and won't damage or degrade your tires any faster than normal.
It really depends where you live and if you have snow and ice covered roads a lot of the winter. Snow tires really blow for months of dry driving particularly if the temps swing from teens to 50 in the same week which they do around Boston. And summers blow in the 4 months of shoulder season around here. I think the all seasons are awesome and the performance loss for street driving these newer ultra high performance tires is very minimal - C8 Z51s are delivered with AS

I drove my Z06 yesterday - 25 when I left, 45 when I came back and I can enjoy the car without worry of a summer tire or the noise and soft flex snow tire.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 06:55 AM   #13
Prossx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 G82 6MT SPY/YMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rh6363 View Post
Conti has the softest side walls. Does that give anyone issues?
Wouldn’t call it an “issue” but you aren’t going to get quite the same handling performance of the PS4S, but you shouldn’t expect to. You will feel the flex.
Rh6363163.00
      12-01-2023, 09:21 AM   #14
misterpiz
Private
Rep

Quote:

Appreciate the insight. I don’t want a dedicated winter set because I rarely drive in bad conditions. I think All seasons are just fine for my use case of driving in sub 45 degree weather where my summer set would be rock hard. Anything snowy or icy I wouldn’t take my car out regardless.

Now in the spring / summer / fall I also retain the option of keeping my all seasons on if they perform how I’d like to.

Thanks
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6801.50
      12-01-2023, 09:22 AM   #15
misterpiz
Private
Rep

For the larger crew I made the change to DWS06, first impressions are they’re not loud, no rubbing on my current setup (H&R Sport with 12mm/15mm spacers on 825M)

Too early to see any negatives, but now I feel a lot better about driving in the morning when it’s below freezing. Appreciate all the input
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 09:44 AM   #16
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

I have run DWS 06 for years on multiple high performance sedans including a 5 series. Love these tires. You'll be happy with them. They will feel better than a Winter and actually do quite well in snow. I got trapped at work by a quick storm in my RWD 535 and I made it home through snow that had many others stuck just fine. Of course I also know how to drive in the snow unlike many in NOVA. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 08:24 AM   #17
big_ed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

Quote:
I can't imagine where in NE you'd live that your winters aren't consistently below freezing for months on end even if you don't get snow.
I dont know whether to laugh at the ignorance or question if you understood the man say NORTH + EAST, Not just north.

I'm in NY, 30 min from the city and two days ago we got a quick snow dusting with temps "feeling" like 21. Today the forecast says 57 degrees for the high, which would be above the rating for winter or snow tires. In this very case a set of all seasons is most practical.

Also not everyone has the space or wants to deal with the hassle of storing/swapping a summer set/winter set of tires when the season changes.
I happen to change over to winters when its cold and summers when its hot, but man I hate seeing those tires in my garage. My wife's U11 X1 came with summers and her damn tires are also in my garage... Sitting there.

Frankly its almost a 100k toy, if it snows any kind of substantial amount irregardless of what tire I have equipped I probably wont be driving the M3.

And for the OP, the DWS is a great tire. Years prior to this rant, I ran them year round on my N54 pushing 28psi. Enjoy the all seasons and do what's best for you.
Appreciate 2
      12-02-2023, 10:05 AM   #18
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_ed View Post
I dont know whether to laugh at the ignorance or question if you understood the man say NORTH + EAST, Not just north.

I'm in NY, 30 min from the city and two days ago we got a quick snow dusting with temps "feeling" like 21. Today the forecast says 57 degrees for the high, which would be above the rating for winter or snow tires. In this very case a set of all seasons is most practical.

Also not everyone has the space or wants to deal with the hassle of storing/swapping a summer set/winter set of tires when the season changes.
I happen to change over to winters when its cold and summers when its hot, but man I hate seeing those tires in my garage. My wife's U11 X1 came with summers and her damn tires are also in my garage... Sitting there.

Frankly its almost a 100k toy, if it snows any kind of substantial amount irregardless of what tire I have equipped I probably wont be driving the M3.

And for the OP, the DWS is a great tire. Years prior to this rant, I ran them year round on my N54 pushing 28psi. Enjoy the all seasons and do what's best for you.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. I specifically mentioned "NE" so what else could that possibly mean? You can save it your laughter and maybe don't assume next time you decide to comment. I was born in NY and spent the first 21 years of my life there. It was always below summer tire safe "spec" for at least the three winter months and going into parts of the months of fall and early spring. Just look at the climate data for the state. Every single part of the state has an average high temperature below 50F for the months of December through March. Winter month highs are near or slightly above freezing.

Also you seem to forget it's a high temperature. What about the other 20 hours of the day? It's not going to be anywhere close to that "57F" it is for an abnormally high (yes abnormally) temperature it is for this time of year.

You're making a whole hell of a lot of assumptions/statements here which may or may not apply to OP (and definitely does not apply to me). If you're not driving the M3 in the snow or cold weather, why change tires at all? If you're driving in the cold weather with no snow, well that's still winter tire-appropriate conditions.

Your experiences do not trump science. All-Seasons are fine, but they're not anywhere close to being as good as a winter tire in actual cold weather. Driving on them for a few days where it's above 45-50F is not anywhere close to being bad, just like driving on a summer tire for the couple days it's below 30-35F.

Still amazes me the ridiculousness of people here to go out of their way to start fights around here.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 12:40 PM   #19
big_ed
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. I specifically mentioned "NE" so what else could that possibly mean? You can save it your laughter and maybe don't assume next time you decide to comment. I was born in NY and spent the first 21 years of my life there. It was always below summer tire safe "spec" for at least the three winter months and going into parts of the months of fall and early spring. Just look at the climate data for the state. Every single part of the state has an average high temperature below 50F for the months of December through March. Winter month highs are near or slightly above freezing.

Also you seem to forget it's a high temperature. What about the other 20 hours of the day? It's not going to be anywhere close to that "57F" it is for an abnormally high (yes abnormally) temperature it is for this time of year.

You're making a whole hell of a lot of assumptions/statements here which may or may not apply to OP (and definitely does not apply to me). If you're not driving the M3 in the snow or cold weather, why change tires at all? If you're driving in the cold weather with no snow, well that's still winter tire-appropriate conditions.

Your experiences do not trump science. All-Seasons are fine, but they're not anywhere close to being as good as a winter tire in actual cold weather. Driving on them for a few days where it's above 45-50F is not anywhere close to being bad, just like driving on a summer tire for the couple days it's below 30-35F.

Still amazes me the ridiculousness of people here to go out of their way to start fights around here.
No one is fighting with you, and no one is arguing the facts you mentioned; however your assumption that because of "science" the OP's choice is a poor one is the issue at hand.

The OP knows his situation best as he stated. You don't know his circumstances as I mentioned, or his precise location with respect to climate. The NE is broad and doesnt necessarily mean he's next to the Canadian border. Given that, the OP can take science and his circumstances into consideration and decide whats best for him.

His choice to go with All Seasons is a good one again because of rationale his mentioned.

If you're from NY then you'll understand my statement is true, and FYI the low is 48 today.

If you got offended by a post that doesn't fall in line with your thinking, I cant control that. If you misinterpreted my post as someone starting a fight with you then my apologies. Good day to you, and happy holidays.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 01:06 PM   #20
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No one is fighting with you, and no one is arguing the facts you mentioned; however your assumption that because of "science" the OP's choice is a poor one is the issue at hand.

The OP knows his situation best as he stated. You don't know his circumstances as I mentioned, or his precise location with respect to climate. The NE is broad and doesnt necessarily mean he's next to the Canadian border. Given that, the OP can take science and his circumstances into consideration and decide whats best for him.

His choice to go with All Seasons is a good one again because of rationale his mentioned.

If you're from NY then you'll understand my statement is true, and FYI the low is 48 today.

If you got offended by a post that doesn't fall in line with your thinking, I cant control that. If you misinterpreted my post as someone starting a fight with you then my apologies. Good day to you, and happy holidays.
Maybe work on your wording then, "laugh at ignorance"

Your statement is not true, and again, you're only using 1 day's worth of data and ignoring the information I provided.

Winters are objectively a better choice than using all-seasons year round.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 06:45 PM   #21
big_ed
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Maybe work on your wording then, "laugh at ignorance"

Your statement is not true, and again, you're only using 1 day's worth of data and ignoring the information I provided.

Winters are objectively a better choice than using all-seasons year round.
I think maybe if I break this down into separate paragraphs you might follow.

Respectfully, I did not intend to hurt you. I am "laughing at your ignorance" or failure to notice that no one in the entire thread has disagreed with the facts mentioned with respect to winter/snow tires being better then an All-Season in the cold.

For the third time, I am stressing, despite your perception, you don't fully understand or know the OPs circumstances. Please reread prior post where I discuss this. Given the aforementioned he is in his right to dictate what is best for him.

My statement regarding the weather pattern does speak to one day but anyone with access to google either knows about global warming or is in denial. Entire parts of the NE did not get any snow last year(s) and/or have had abnormally high temperatures. Again, you do not know the specific location or circumstances surrounding the OPs decision, i.e. the main point of all of this.

SNOW/WINTER tires are better in the appropriate setting, in case you missed that above!

The OP already said All-Seasons are the route he thinks is best for him because of his circumstances. Not sure if you read that.

Please understand that my choice of words is partially a reaction to your ignorance... Your failure to see that ok we heard you. We hear the "science". OP made up his mind. Let it go. Plenty of people have posted different opinions, ultimately it is what it is.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 11:15 PM   #22
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think maybe if I break this down into separate paragraphs you might follow.

Respectfully, I did not intend to hurt you. I am "laughing at your ignorance" or failure to notice that no one in the entire thread has disagreed with the facts mentioned with respect to winter/snow tires being better then an All-Season in the cold.

For the third time, I am stressing, despite your perception, you don't fully understand or know the OPs circumstances. Please reread prior post where I discuss this. Given the aforementioned he is in his right to dictate what is best for him.

My statement regarding the weather pattern does speak to one day but anyone with access to google either knows about global warming or is in denial. Entire parts of the NE did not get any snow last year(s) and/or have had abnormally high temperatures. Again, you do not know the specific location or circumstances surrounding the OPs decision, i.e. the main point of all of this.

SNOW/WINTER tires are better in the appropriate setting, in case you missed that above!

The OP already said All-Seasons are the route he thinks is best for him because of his circumstances. Not sure if you read that.

Please understand that my choice of words is partially a reaction to your ignorance... Your failure to see that ok we heard you. We hear the "science". OP made up his mind. Let it go. Plenty of people have posted different opinions, ultimately it is what it is.
I'm just saying, you took time out of your day to specifically call me ignorant and imply that I had no experience to what you had when I specifically actually do. I'm not explaining this from a "this is what's best for OP," I'm explaining it to "this is objectively the best choice." OP is free to choose that choice or not.

If you recall my original post I specifically only asked "why all seasons" and the resulting discussion did not involve OP, but other people that decided to chime in with their own irrelevant experiences.

If you didn't intend to cause any confrontation, you need to work on your wording.
Appreciate 0