Kev77
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3, 718 GTS4.0,G82 M

IPE Catback + 300cel downpipe + Dahler valve controller

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I had this setup for almost 2 months and I think now is the time for me to give it a proper review. First I would like to explain why I picked IPE instead of the other brands. Personally I like to keep my factory parts intact so all the midpipes that require cutting the OEM catback gets ruled out. With the catback options, I want to talk about Akra first. The main reason I didn't buy Akra is the sound just can't justify its price. At least in Australia, the full Akra catback costs 16000AUD at the time I ordered IPE which is 50% more expensive than the F8X ones. However, the sound IMHO at least personally is so muted to the point it sounds more like an axle back to me. Akra has its own sound kit that comes with the catback that can make the valves 100% open in S+ which should make it significantly louder compare to OEM valve logic but even with that it's still somehow rather quiet as a catback. The tone is deep which is what I like but Remus has a really deep tone as well and sounds a lot louder. The other options I have are Eisenmann, Remus, IPE, Fi, Armytrix, Capristo. Fi sounds absolutely awful IMHO so that's a no. Armytrix not a fan of this brand at all so another pass. At the time I ordered IPE Capristo isn't available in the region yet, Eisenmann sounds really good but the lead time is 6 months lol. That leaves me with Remus and IPE, Remus's full system to me sounds amazing but the problem is I heard it drones a bit even with the valves closed. I daily use my car and I am really sensitive to drone, so I have to let this option go. Though I must say Remus is the best sounding one for the G8X at least to me.

I am not a big fan of IPE since most of their sports car systems IMO are decibles over tone but I must the G8X IPE catback surprisingly has quite a deep tone and the sound is just loud enough to be noticeable but not obnoxious. The fitment is straight forward bolt on which is really easy, one thing to notice is that the mid-silencer is really thick so when installing need to make sure it's not touching the heatshield. If you feel a drone with the IPE then that's the mid-silencer touching the heatshield (because it happened to me lol). I wasn't planned to install the downpipe until the direct ECU flash is available but my friend bought me as a gift so why not. I installed the Dahler valve controller with the exhaust and this is probably one of the easiest mods to install ever and it works perfectly. This setup is as quiet as stock when valves are closed and has absolute no drone at all . Even with valves fully opened with the valve controller the drone is very minimal as well. I can cruise in city in comfort mode with the valves fully open comfortably, the tone is really deep in the lower rpm range which is really enjoyable to hear when driving low speed in town.
Stationary rev

In-car sound

I will try to record some outside driveby soon.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
      05-23-2022, 02:49 PM   #2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x6m50i

sounds great! Is the downpipe 100 cel or 300 cel downpipe? What's the brand of the downpipe? Can you tell me why did you get a dahler valve control, does ipe not include one since the ipe exhaust is also valved? How loud is it? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 07:37 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
Kev77497.50
      05-24-2022, 09:07 AM   #4
Kev77
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2978386166 View Post
sounds great! Is the downpipe 100 cel or 300 cel downpipe? What's the brand of the downpipe? Can you tell me why did you get a dahler valve control, does ipe not include one since the ipe exhaust is also valved? How loud is it? Thank you
300cel catted one, I would recomend you get the HJS 200 cel one or the ones with the GESi 300cel. As for the valve controller, IPE uses the OEM valves but with the OEM valves, the valve will never fully open no matter what due to the stupid noise limit regulations. With the valve controller you can fully open the valve in any mode and you can revert the valve operations back to OEM with a press as well. With the valves closed it's pretty much the same as stock, really quiet and no drone at all. With the valves fully opened still no drone at all and it's loud enough to have a presence but not obnoxious.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 10:12 AM   #5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev77 View Post
300cel catted one, I would recomend you get the HJS 200 cel one or the ones with the GESi 300cel. As for the valve controller, IPE uses the OEM valves but with the OEM valves, the valve will never fully open no matter what due to the stupid noise limit regulations. With the valve controller you can fully open the valve in any mode and you can revert the valve operations back to OEM with a press as well. With the valves closed it's pretty much the same as stock, really quiet and no drone at all. With the valves fully opened still no drone at all and it's loud enough to have a presence but not obnoxious.
Thank you!
So the ipe system uses the oem valve, that is taken extactly from the oem car valve, or is it ipe's valve but plugged into the oem plug so that it listen to the oem command? If it is the first option, is cutting needed?

So what you have done is smart, you just put on a valve module, is it convenient to use?

Also, How you you describe the loudness compared to other cars? The decibel ipe claim is ~110 to 116 depending on the kind of downpipe which is pretty loud? Is that how you felt? The stock m4 is very quiet in my opinion so I wanted something much louder. If more info can you given would be lovely.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 12:51 AM   #6
Kev77
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2978386166 View Post
Thank you!
So the ipe system uses the oem valve, that is taken extactly from the oem car valve, or is it ipe's valve but plugged into the oem plug so that it listen to the oem command? If it is the first option, is cutting needed?

So what you have done is smart, you just put on a valve module, is it convenient to use?

Also, How you you describe the loudness compared to other cars? The decibel ipe claim is ~110 to 116 depending on the kind of downpipe which is pretty loud? Is that how you felt? The stock m4 is very quiet in my opinion so I wanted something much louder. If more info can you given would be lovely.
It uses the factory valve and no cutting needed, the valve module is really easy to use. It comes with a controller, you press open button it fully opens the valve straight away and when you hit close button it reverts to factory operation. To compare it with other cars I would say my current setup is 30-40% louder compare to the F8X with akrapovic catback only.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 01:45 PM   #7
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
It uses the factory valve and no cutting needed, the valve module is really easy to use. It comes with a controller, you press open button it fully opens the valve straight away and when you hit close button it reverts to factory operation. To compare it with other cars I would say my current setup is 30-40% louder compare to the F8X with akrapovic catback only.
Thank you sir. So with controller open its fully open, and with close, instead of just closing the valve, it goes to factory setting? That is great to hear as I do still want the factory options so the valves can open on certain degrees on sport plus as designed by the oem system.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 05:25 PM   #8
Purekoryo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
I had this setup for almost 2 months and I think now is the time for me to give it a proper review. First I would like to explain why I picked IPE instead of the other brands. Personally I like to keep my factory parts intact so all the midpipes that require cutting the OEM catback gets ruled out. With the catback options, I want to talk about Akra first. The main reason I didn't buy Akra is the sound just can't justify its price. At least in Australia, the full Akra catback costs 16000AUD at the time I ordered IPE which is 50% more expensive than the F8X ones. However, the sound IMHO at least personally is so muted to the point it sounds more like an axle back to me. Akra has its own sound kit that comes with the catback that can make the valves 100% open in S+ which should make it significantly louder compare to OEM valve logic but even with that it's still somehow rather quiet as a catback. The tone is deep which is what I like but Remus has a really deep tone as well and sounds a lot louder. The other options I have are Eisenmann, Remus, IPE, Fi, Armytrix, Capristo. Fi sounds absolutely awful IMHO so that's a no. Armytrix not a fan of this brand at all so another pass. At the time I ordered IPE Capristo isn't available in the region yet, Eisenmann sounds really good but the lead time is 6 months lol. That leaves me with Remus and IPE, Remus's full system to me sounds amazing but the problem is I heard it drones a bit even with the valves closed. I daily use my car and I am really sensitive to drone, so I have to let this option go. Though I must say Remus is the best sounding one for the G8X at least to me.

I am not a big fan of IPE since most of their sports car systems IMO are decibles over tone but I must the G8X IPE catback surprisingly has quite a deep tone and the sound is just loud enough to be noticeable but not obnoxious. The fitment is straight forward bolt on which is really easy, one thing to notice is that the mid-silencer is really thick so when installing need to make sure it's not touching the heatshield. If you feel a drone with the IPE then that's the mid-silencer touching the heatshield (because it happened to me lol). I wasn't planned to install the downpipe until the direct ECU flash is available but my friend bought me as a gift so why not. I installed the Dahler valve controller with the exhaust and this is probably one of the easiest mods to install ever and it works perfectly. This setup is as quiet as stock when valves are closed and has absolute no drone at all . Even with valves fully opened with the valve controller the drone is very minimal as well. I can cruise in city in comfort mode with the valves fully open comfortably, the tone is really deep in the lower rpm range which is really enjoyable to hear when driving low speed in town.
Stationary rev

In-car sound

I will try to record some outside driveby soon.
Notice any power difference and turbo spool up?
Appreciate 0