Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CadHater View Post
You should recommend that in the YouTube comments if that would excite you.
YouTube has to be one of the lowest forms of entertainment. Who has the time or the patience to sit through ten minutes of watching three little cars go in a straight line? I, for one, am not one of those people.

As with many things in life, it's better spent outside. Go grab your car keys, and trust me: whatever four wheels you're commanding, it'll be a lot more entertaining than listening to the drivel that's a YouTube "influencer" or "car reviewer".
As far back as I can remember I have loved cars. I read magazines, watched movies, went to car shows, and watched YouTube videos.
I loved soaking in all the info I could about cars, even before I could drive. Obviously the content online is beneath you and not targeted at someone like you.
I still watch videos and read about cars that I will never be able to afford and probably will never see in person.
Not everyone has an M3 in their garage they can go drive anytime.
      08-13-2021, 10:36 AM   #46
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavRick View Post
man yells at clouds...

did you really ask 'who has the time or patience...' when commenting about a vid from an entity with over 6M subscribers? and most of the vids are doing exactly what you described?

hahahahahhahaa
You can laugh all you want, but I truly do. Mind you, same goes for folks making TikTok videos or being social media "influencers".
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 10:43 AM   #47
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaah View Post
Yet you have plenty of time to comment on it here rather than being outside with your car keys...
It doesn't take ten minutes to post a comment here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
I have to agree. Sometimes these forums make me feel like an outsider in a forum of old men yelling at clouds. "I don't like these videos. Therefore everyone that watches them are sheep as only things I like are good and proper." I realize that mentality comes with old age but man I'm really going to put a concerted effort into not to becoming that.
I know we're all different, and I'm sure maturity plays a role my opinion, but I don't mind spending time watching quality content. My biggest issue with YouTubers is the motivation behind their videos. Cranking out as many videos as possible, and stretching them not because there is value in each minute of the video but rather for the sole purpose of running more ads.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 01:01 PM   #48
MavRick
Captain
Rep
Drives: My Wife's M

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
I have to agree. Sometimes these forums make me feel like an outsider in a forum of old men yelling at clouds. "I don't like these videos. Therefore everyone that watches them are sheep as only things I like are good and proper." I realize that mentality comes with old age but man I'm really going to put a concerted effort into not to becoming that.
as i've gotten older (i'm 48), i've had to check myself from falling into that trap. from clothes to music, this newer generation's style just doesnt appeal to me. but guess what? its not FOR me!!! so, instead of shitting on it and talk about how much things were in MYYYY day....i just tip my cap and keep it moving.

i remember rolling my eyes when my Pops used to wag his finger and tell me hip hop wasnt really music. or tell me turn my baseball cap around, correctly. as if his parents loved those polyester bellbottoms he used to rock. i just refuse to be that myopic. hahahaha
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 02:54 AM   #49
SexyRoger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaug View Post
This should start getting boring already, except that it doesn't

That Alfa is quick.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13020.00
      08-15-2021, 08:58 AM   #50
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CadHater View Post
You should recommend that in the YouTube comments if that would excite you.
YouTube has to be one of the lowest forms of entertainment. Who has the time or the patience to sit through ten minutes of watching three little cars go in a straight line? I, for one, am not one of those people.

As with many things in life, it's better spent outside. Go grab your car keys, and trust me: whatever four wheels you're commanding, it'll be a lot more entertaining than listening to the drivel that's a YouTube "influencer" or "car reviewer".
YouTube is an advertising medium. I see many car companies releasing very "limited edition versions" with the explicit purpose of winning the types of competition they have on YouTube. Just look at how many times Rimac shows up "officially" for YouTube videos for a production run of 150 cars.

Even the Porsche Cayenne GT or the BMW M5 CS, will be seen more on YouTube than in actual dealerships or driveways. Companies are realizing that YouTube is a way to use halo versions to sell more mainstream versions or even to just elevate the brand.

As long as one understands what the influencers on YouTube are trying to do and the companies that sponsor the content (not all of it is sponsored of course) it is all good. There are a few serious reviewers as well in there, but the reason YouTube exists is to sell ads and for influencers to get paid. Clearly based on the types of cars that many YouTube influencers are able to buy based on their sponsorships, tells me it is a good business.

I find it fun and enjoyable. But I am also mindful of the context.

JMHO.
Appreciate 0