BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

08-08-2021, 12:03 AM   #155
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
I do think it's fucking crazy the G8x is consistently over 100K. My F80 didn't come close to 100K. F9x, fine I get it. But not the M3/M4.
The base price of the G80 is the same on an inflation adjusted basis as the M3 has always been - about $70K in 2021 dollars. This is true back to the E46.

The press cars are all $100K MSRP because they are Competition models with carbon exterior, carbon bucket seats and ceramic brakes. I'm ordering a M3 manual sedan with reasonable equipment (metallic paint, 825M wheels, laserlights, executive package and parking package, etc.) and paying about $70K after dealer discount and factory rebates. It's not a $100K car for me.
Appreciate 4
manuelf352.00
EXE462100.00
Sedan_Clan25037.00
JTO245274.50
      08-08-2021, 08:29 AM   #156
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
Quote:
I do think it's fucking crazy the G8x is consistently over 100K. My F80 didn't come close to 100K. F9x, fine I get it. But not the M3/M4.
The base price of the G80 is the same on an inflation adjusted basis as the M3 has always been - about $70K in 2021 dollars. This is true back to the E46.

The press cars are all $100K MSRP because they are Competition models with carbon exterior, carbon bucket seats and ceramic brakes. I'm ordering a M3 manual sedan with reasonable equipment (metallic paint, 825M wheels, laserlights, executive package and parking package, etc.) and paying about $70K after dealer discount and factory rebates. It's not a $100K car for me.
Yes, but there is no question that the average transaction price for the G8X will be much higher than the F8X. Most of the cars sold will be AWD Competition models.

Congrats on the G80 order. Decided against a Cayman or planning on buying both?
      08-08-2021, 10:05 AM   #157
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Cost and time. If you look at the section breakdown compared to the F90 comp, he was well ahead in the CS up to the moment the equipment tried to make a run for it.
Would you know if this car is faster on PSC2s or did you never test it since it's developed with Corsas?
The Corsas are a bit stickier at lower temps and pair better with heavy rear bias front and mid engine AWD as long as they're not overworked. PSC2 takes a little more temp to reach optimum adhesive levels and can handle a slightly higher temp; they pair better with RWD to keep the tail in check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RDSECTOR View Post
Like I said it should have solidly set a 7:2X time.
Not grasping the difference between SA times and Manufacturer times are ya?
Appreciate 2
solstice5456.50
manuelf352.00
      08-08-2021, 10:55 AM   #158
speedmaster20d
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 G80 comp BG. 2018 F80(sold)

Quote:

I agree actually configured similarly g80 is cheaper than f80. My f80 was 86K the g80 came to just under 85k and it has more equipment including full leather interior laser lights radar cruise with self driving tech wifi wireless charging and lots more.

The competition package was like 5-7K extra on the 2018 M3s if I remember correctly.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25037.00
      08-08-2021, 11:25 AM   #159
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWM3 View Post
Yes, but there is no question that the average transaction price for the G8X will be much higher than the F8X. Most of the cars sold will be AWD Competition models.

Congrats on the G80 order. Decided against a Cayman or planning on buying both?
My F80 DCT competition was $82K sticker. My G80 sticker (with carbon pack) is $82K sticker...

Current: 2022 M3 CompX, 2024 M2 6-Spd
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25037.00
bri10425931.00
      08-08-2021, 11:32 AM   #160
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
No doubt a big win here for BMW and G80 owners. The CS and CSL will only be faster and the G8x Comp pack AWD times are still tbd.

As far as all the car comparisons, in the end does anyone buy just on lap times??

I'm still lukewarm on the G80 overall, rather have a current M5, F80 or F87 M2C and the few seconds lap time doesn't matter. HOWEVER, bragging rights are bragging rights and the G80 is one fast and track capable machine and all the while it's still a great daily driver. Impressive results for BMW M, well done!!
Appreciate 2
solstice5456.50
Sedan_Clan25037.00
      08-08-2021, 11:36 AM   #161
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster20d View Post
Quote:

I agree actually configured similarly g80 is cheaper than f80. My f80 was 86K the g80 came to just under 85k and it has more equipment including full leather interior laser lights radar cruise with self driving tech wifi wireless charging and lots more.

The competition package was like 5-7K extra on the 2018 M3s if I remember correctly.
I thought ZCP was $2,500. I could be wrong.
      08-08-2021, 03:10 PM   #162
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
Quote:
If it's so easy they should have done it. BMW engineers should be able to build a chassis that is able to complete with the Alpha and Alpha 2 platforms but they don't. CLAR is a solid architecture but it needs improvements. At the end of the day the M4 Competition should be solidly in 7:20s.
992 C2S is barely in the 7:20s. I think your expectations are pretty high for a car of this segment and price. If you look at the Ring time prediction threads, the M4C's lap time is significantly ahead of what most people forecasted.
My expectations aren't high. The general expectations of this forum are too low. BMW should have benchmarked the Alpha platform then exceeded its performance. Like I said before even the Giulia Quadrifoglio is only a 1.5 seconds off the G8X and the Quadrifoglio was a F8X competitor. BMW should be faster.
Even though I'm sure others have explained this before I just want to point out that manufacturers lap times and SA lap times should never be compared.

Manufacturers do lap after lap with their own driver and always gets a better lap time than what SA is able to do. SA generally get one or two warm up laps and then has to set the time, while leaving a safety margin to avoid crashing the press cars.

When the Giulia lap time was set was also before the official Nürburgring lap time policies was introduced. Which means there was no third party inspection to confirm that the car was in original spec.

Compare the two cars SA lap times at the Hockenheim GP track for a fairer comparison.

https://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/91ols7ib1d8j

The M4 C did a 1:53.70 while the Alfa did a 1:57.10

So on a much shorter 4.574km track the M4 is a massive 3.10 sec faster! After 10 laps the M4 would be 31 secs clear of the Alfa…
Appreciate 4
02M3ForMe4261.50
EXE462100.00
Sedan_Clan25037.00
      08-08-2021, 06:35 PM   #163
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Even though I'm sure others have explained this before I just want to point out that manufacturers lap times and SA lap times should never be compared.

Manufacturers do lap after lap with their own driver and always gets a better lap time than what SA is able to do. SA generally get one or two warm up laps and then has to set the time, while leaving a safety margin to avoid crashing the press cars.

When the Giulia lap time was set was also before the official Nürburgring lap time policies was introduced. Which means there was no third party inspection to confirm that the car was in original spec.

Compare the two cars SA lap times at the Hockenheim GP track for a fairer comparison.

So on a much shorter 4.574km track the M4 is a massive 3.10 sec faster! After 10 laps the M4 would be 31 secs clear of the Alfa…
Absolutely and as I mentioned earlier that SA could pretty much replicate BMWs factory time (one counter steer away ) is extremely unusual and signals a highly drivable and predictable car. The chassis engineering seems easily able to keep up with the 510hp. Impressive as hell.
Appreciate 2
EXE462100.00
Sedan_Clan25037.00
      08-09-2021, 03:56 AM   #164
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
Quote:
If it's so easy they should have done it. BMW engineers should be able to build a chassis that is able to complete with the Alpha and Alpha 2 platforms but they don't. CLAR is a solid architecture but it needs improvements. At the end of the day the M4 Competition should be solidly in 7:20s.
992 C2S is barely in the 7:20s. I think your expectations are pretty high for a car of this segment and price. If you look at the Ring time prediction threads, the M4C's lap time is significantly ahead of what most people forecasted.
My expectations aren't high. The general expectations of this forum are too low. BMW should have benchmarked the Alpha platform then exceeded its performance. Like I said before even the Giulia Quadrifoglio is only a 1.5 seconds off the G8X and the Quadrifoglio was a F8X competitor. BMW should be faster.
If straightline speed performance on a track you'll never race on etc etc is the most important component to you? BMW's done just fine. It's Audi I've had a problem with always having the slowest vehicle out of the "three". Every damn generation.

RS6 is so sexy but (stock) it's performance is more on par with M340/440 but priced in the M5 range.

I don't think it's expectation are too low. More so we drive what we want to drive, I'm not overly concerned someones car is faster than me. It's not why I chose my motorcycles or cars. I go with what felt best to me at the time / checked all my boxes. Always gonna be someone taller or shorter, funnier, smarter, better looking, etc. Why waste your time with all that noise? People actually buy cars so they can go around telling people they're faster?
No one said anything about "straight-line" performance. What I'm saying is at the price point of the G8X any reasonable performance minded consumer expects more general performance from this car than it actually delivers. Not to mention BMW has the audacity to label this car a "Competition" model. Like I said it should have solidly set a 7:2X time.

Also, Audi has always been a joke so we don't count them lol.
Sorry that's my bad. "Straight line speed OR performance on a track…..". Forgot the OR and it completely changed the context of the sentence lol.

But I do think the car is performing pretty impressively, regardless of your comparison to older cars. You're catering to two different markets. Camaros in any trim aren't exactly comfortable. Nor are the interiors very well done. Don't think it has autonomous driving or laser guided cruise control or even massaging seats, soft close doors, etc. Do I need these things? They're nice but not anything I actively search out in my vehicles. But there are plenty of folks who might be older, who have children, who have back problems, I don't know, whatever other litany of reasons they may have but all because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work for somebody else. Not everyone purchases a car because they want it to be faster than a 6 year old ZL1. Not everyone who buys a ZL1 wants massaging seats or autonomous driving. You have to remember, these cars aren't designed for us, car enthusiasts. We make up a sliver of car sales for any manufacturer. They do it for the masses, not for the car nuts like us.
The F8X and G8X are within 10k of each other comparably equipped. A G8X isn't $100k unless you check every option box. In fact, my Individual Nardo Gray F82 was $80k (…before any discount off MSRP); the G8X I built WITH carbon fiber buckets was around $86k.
Appreciate 2
JTO245274.50
02M3ForMe4261.50
      08-09-2021, 08:01 AM   #165
superbrew
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post

That's assuming the Alfa could make it ten laps....
Appreciate 2
02M3ForMe4261.50
      08-09-2021, 08:52 AM   #166
Traind
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSpain View Post
I thought all cars were compared with same tyre and same weather conditions, for an "official" ranking.
IMHO any further comparison is quite useless then.
That would be quite a feat! To somehow line up weather and manufacturers giving you cars plus tires that are not available as oem. But you are getting to an important point with these comparisons... unless they are done on the same day, in the same time window, by the same driver then we are not making an exact, scientific comparison of lap times. Tures play a big role too but I personally don't mind too much.... run the car with the fastest tire the manufacturer offers and that's good enough for me.

The comparisons are not useless but most people don't know how to look at the data. Weather is a huge variable in lap times and that doesn't mean just damp or rainy conditions. Track state is also a huge factor in lap times. Did it just rain hard for two days? Well, the track will be greener and slower for a talented driver for sure. And then there is the track itself which may be quicker due to changes or resurfacing from year to year. All these things play a huge role in comparing times but we rarely have any data for any of these variables when looking at a multi-year list of times.

So let's take your original question about the M8 vs M4 times from Sport Auto and "how can the M8 be slower?" My answer would not have been advances in tires in just a few years, although that could be a factor. My answer would be... they set the same time at the Nordschliefe. I know the M4c was a bit over a second faster when on Cup 2s and about a second slower when on PS4S... but those small margins are essentially meaningless when you compare cars lapping such a long track on different days and different years. If we understand the variables we have to acknowledge that the two cars, at the ring at least, are essentially equally fast. The gap is too small to say anything else unless they were tested on the same day, in the same 2 hour window, by the same driver. At the ring the "equivalent" gap is a bigger time window, probably 2-4 seconds at least; on a smaller track the equivalency gap would be smaller.

Btw, one car no one is referencing is the 812 Superfast. It was only 3 seconds faster at the ring than the new M4. Of course that V12 engine note is worth 20 seconds in perceived speed, at least, lol.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25037.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
      08-22-2021, 08:55 AM   #167
will0621
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M5c, 20 X3MC, 20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
A qualified guess it’s the main reason BMW now offer PSC2 as an M3/4 factory tire option…it qualify the PSC2 for use at these tests. I guess the M8 is not seen as a track day car and ring times aren’t a major marketing tool for the M8 segment and they re probably right, more of a GT than track day car.
Didn’t the gt63s get a time of 7:27 with PSC2s despite weighing 400-500lbs more than a m5/m8? I would think the latter 2 cars should be able to match or exceed the gt63s given that weight difference and almost the same hp.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 12:18 PM   #168
PhJ
Car enthusiast
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemenza View Post

The below info has been taken out of the just released September 2021 edition of the Sport Auto magazine:
With PS4S, the M4 Competition achieved a Nürburgring lap time in 7 min 33 sec 86 , another amazing performance !
PhJ

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 12:24 PM   #169
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhJ View Post
The below info has been taken out of the just released September 2021 edition of the Sport Auto magazine:
With PS4S, the M4 Competition achieved a Nürburgring lap time in 7 min 33 sec 86 , another amazing performance !
PhJ

This was posted a couple of weeks ago. See below, with some additional context from the driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelf View Post
Oh man. It is fascinating, how so many guys can discuss the supertest result over 6 pages ... where obviously no one has read the test!

At least all the vague tire guessing UHP vs semi and the wrong guessing around lead me to this opinion!

Fact is: In this supertest, Christian Gebhardt drove the G82 with both tire specifications: PSC2 and PS4S!

So here are the times he did with the PS4S:

Nordschleife: 7.33,86
Hockenheimring: 1.54,3

His clear verdict:
"At Hockenheim as well as at Nordschleife the PS4S is only marginally slower. The performance gain mainly comes from improvement of the entire vehicle and not the option tires."

Additionally he states:
"Grip level on 1st half of Nordchleife of both tires is almost the same. While the PSC2 remains constant, the PS4S grip weakens slightly in the 2nd half"

Hope this info helps you for discussion another 6 pages
Appreciate 1
JTO245274.50