Rep
Drives: 981 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nptguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy75 View Post
Quote:
Did you wrap the carbon and gloss parts in the clear Xpel or leave them unwrapped? Wrapping mine in stealth tomorrow and having a hard time getting the guy to agree to two types of ppf on one car.
This was answered in the previous post. Can't figure out why the PPF guy would have an issue doing this. Maybe go with someone else.
Honestly the guy is a mess. Dropped my car off today and reminded him that I wanted Stealth. He told me that he thought that it was clear Xpel (from the above you know that we had the conversation multiple times) and would be 3 more days. This made no sense but I got over it and left my car with him. 2 hours later he texted and said that Stealth was $1500 more than clear, which it isn't from what I hear from others. Then an hour later he told me that he couldn't do the tint because Xpel hadn't designed the tint for G80 yet!

This is a reputable shop owned by the BMW, Audi, Porsche dealer and on the property. I would take my car back and find another shop but work is crazy and I just don't have the time. I want the effing car and I am done waiting so I am going to spend the extra money like an idiot.

Sorry for the rant…
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLYSDN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by warcity View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
I go back and forth whether I want a stealth/frozen car but this looks great!
Do it. Go for it. Beautiful but high maintenance paint.
What's with all the #fakenews in this thread about high maintenance paint?

Matte paint is more difficult to maintain. Can't polish it, car wash isn't recommended, special PH balanced shampoo needed etc…. Of course "difficult" is subjective. Some may not find it difficult. I'm comparing it to traditional paint.
Not sure what you're talking about. Difficult? Too many people feeding into the whole misconception about high maintenance or difficult to deal with. Complete nonsense.

But I'll play along.......

Damn paint. Stay away! Even it sees the light of day it will flake! Heaven forbid it sees rain, it tends to melt and bubble. Blasphemy. Why would BMW even consider putting such a volatile and delicate product on their cars! Complete bullocks I say. Frozen paint. What a hoax.
As an installer I can offer some insight here. The stealth material itself should not drive a much higher material cost (it's roughly $3 more per square foot for the raw material) but if the installer typically installs "pre-cut" kits that don't wrap over the edges, he could be trying to charge you more money for a more time consuming install, one he is not used to doing. If you don't wrap the edges with stealth, then you will see the gloss edges of your original paint exposed. There is absolutely no reason to give you a hard time about wrapping the car in stealth and the other bits in gloss other than having to plot a few extra pieces with a different film. It's a little more waste but not a big deal.

If it were me I would go get the car and bring it to another installer that has the decency to explain the process and options. The guy sounds like a mess.
      07-07-2021, 06:40 AM   #90
nptguy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankThomas View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy75 View Post
Quote:
Did you wrap the carbon and gloss parts in the clear Xpel or leave them unwrapped? Wrapping mine in stealth tomorrow and having a hard time getting the guy to agree to two types of ppf on one car.
This was answered in the previous post. Can't figure out why the PPF guy would have an issue doing this. Maybe go with someone else.
Honestly the guy is a mess. Dropped my car off today and reminded him that I wanted Stealth. He told me that he thought that it was clear Xpel (from the above you know that we had the conversation multiple times) and would be 3 more days. This made no sense but I got over it and left my car with him. 2 hours later he texted and said that Stealth was $1500 more than clear, which it isn't from what I hear from others. Then an hour later he told me that he couldn't do the tint because Xpel hadn't designed the tint for G80 yet!

This is a reputable shop owned by the BMW, Audi, Porsche dealer and on the property. I would take my car back and find another shop but work is crazy and I just don't have the time. I want the effing car and I am done waiting so I am going to spend the extra money like an idiot.

Sorry for the rant…
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
I go back and forth whether I want a stealth/frozen car but this looks great!
Do it. Go for it. Beautiful but high maintenance paint.
What's with all the #fakenews in this thread about high maintenance paint?

Matte paint is more difficult to maintain. Can't polish it, car wash isn't recommended, special PH balanced shampoo needed etc…. Of course "difficult" is subjective. Some may not find it difficult. I'm comparing it to traditional paint.
Not sure what you're talking about. Difficult? Too many people feeding into the whole misconception about high maintenance or difficult to deal with. Complete nonsense.

But I'll play along.......

Damn paint. Stay away! Even it sees the light of day it will flake! Heaven forbid it sees rain, it tends to melt and bubble. Blasphemy. Why would BMW even consider putting such a volatile and delicate product on their cars! Complete bullocks I say. Frozen paint. What a hoax.
As an installer I can offer some insight here. The stealth material itself should not drive a much higher material cost (it's roughly $3 more per square foot for the raw material) but if the installer typically installs "pre-cut" kits that don't wrap over the edges, he could be trying to charge you more money for a more time consuming install, one he is not used to doing. If you don't wrap the edges with stealth, then you will see the gloss edges of your original paint exposed. There is absolutely no reason to give you a hard time about wrapping the car in stealth and the other bits in gloss other than having to plot a few extra pieces with a different film. It's a little more waste but not a big deal.

If it were me I would go get the car and bring it to another installer that has the decency to explain the process and options. The guy sounds like a mess.

Thanks Frank. It is good to hear that there are at least some small differences between stealth and clear from someone that knows.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 02:41 PM   #91
Hephaestus
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoguy0822 View Post
You can make any paint "frozen" with the Xpel Stealth. Pretty cool, huh?

From what I've heard, the cost of the Stealth is about $5K-$6K (USD), which is about the same cost as getting the actual frozen paint but without the maintenance headaches.
Why do you say frozen paint has maintenance headaches?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 02:47 PM   #92
Hephaestus
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: M4

So does BMW charge you 5g's for frozen black? I just ordered a 2022 M4 in SP yellow and never saw frozen black listed. Only blue and white. Is there a secret paint list? Glad they haven't charged me for the car yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 04:02 PM   #93
psylovibe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeynolegs View Post
So does BMW charge you 5g's for frozen black? I just ordered a 2022 M4 in SP yellow and never saw frozen black listed. Only blue and white. Is there a secret paint list? Glad they haven't charged me for the car yet.
Frozen Black is an individual paint option $4500-5000 addon.

https://visualizer.bmw-individual.com
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 01:46 AM   #94
Molina330
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 2021

Hi, I am convince I want to go frozen black. Is there a specific brand or type I should ask for. I have my appointment set for the 14th. Let me know any suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 11:28 AM   #95
markchen2008
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 xdrive competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molina330 View Post
Hi, I am convince I want to go frozen black. Is there a specific brand or type I should ask for. I have my appointment set for the 14th. Let me know any suggestions.
what you mean "specific brand or type"? "Frozen Black" is specific enough for any dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 01:50 PM   #96
ChargerHellcat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp Xdrive FDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoguy0822 View Post
You can make any paint "frozen" with the Xpel Stealth. Pretty cool, huh?

From what I've heard, the cost of the Stealth is about $5K-$6K (USD), which is about the same cost as getting the actual frozen paint but without the maintenance headaches.
Till you have to get it removed right? I was quoted 2-3 grand to have it removed...Is that normal?
2012 - Charger SRT 392 - Sold
2009 - Charger SRT 6.1 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 01:17 PM   #97
Molina330
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by markchen2008 View Post
Quote:
what you mean "specific brand or type"? "Frozen Black" is specific enough for any dealer.
Quote:
Quote:
I ended up getting it
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-18-2021, 09:20 AM   #98
The Dad
The Dad
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4 G82 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I ended up getting it
That looks awesome. Going to do the same to my Alpine white G82 xDrive😎
      05-01-2022, 01:39 AM   #99
JennyPenny
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I ended up getting it
We NEED more pictures!

Under the sun

In the shade

and at night!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 04:55 AM   #100
masd79
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 50i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSee View Post
I can't wait to see the finished car. I keep going back and fourth between BSM with XPEL Stealth or Dravit Grey with XPEL Stealth. Can't decide.
BSm for sure.. dravit gray with the gold specks is not to be messed with…
Appreciate 0