BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

12-06-2021, 09:01 AM   #67
sleepy75
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80_GuyGuy View Post
So if I'm riding with the engine in sports+ and turn the asd sound off do I lose any horsepower or am I just more stealth going fast.
All you're losing is fake engine sounds coming through your speakers.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 09:03 AM   #68
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
So if I'm riding with the engine in sports+ and turn the asd sound off do I lose any horsepower or am I just more stealth going fast.
You think hp might be reduced if the artificial sound coming out of the speakers is turned off? Holy logic fail.

No, your hp is not reduced when ASD is off.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 12:50 PM   #69
G80_GuyGuy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
You think hp might be reduced if the artificial sound coming out of the speakers is turned off? Holy logic fail.

The logic here is when you turn the ASD off it closes the exhaust valve and doesn’t open up all the way.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 01:50 PM   #70
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
The logic here is when you turn the ASD off it closes the exhaust valve and doesn’t open up all the way.
Can we turn the ASD off, yet keep the valves open?

I'd love to have the natural induction sound without the ASD through the speakers.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 01:57 PM   #71
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Then you're turning off more than ASD. ASD is sound through the speakers.

You're now talking about changing the way the exhaust is handled?
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 02:11 PM   #72
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
Quote:
Can we turn the ASD off, yet keep the valves open?

I'd love to have the natural induction sound without the ASD through the speakers.
Yes. Coding ASD has no effect on actual exhaust sounds or valves.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 02:21 PM   #73
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Yes. Coding ASD has no effect on actual exhaust sounds or valves.
Perfect, this is next on my to-do list for my G82.

I tried coding it out when I first got the car, but the sound didn't change. Maybe it's been fixed since I tried in July.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 02:38 PM   #74
sleepy75
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

Quote:

I tried coding it out when I first got the car, but the sound didn't change. Maybe it's been fixed since I tried in July.
Turning ASD off with Bimmercode doesn't work on 22's. You need to contact them for instructions. I have just been through this process. Its so much better with ASD off.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 02:56 PM   #75
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy75 View Post
Quote:

Turning ASD off with Bimmercode doesn't work on 22's. You need to contact them for instructions. I have just been through this process. Its so much better with ASD off.
They just pushed out an update. The G8x are now listed as fully supported
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 02:58 PM   #76
G80_GuyGuy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The M sound button does run through the speakers like you mentioned but it also controls the exhaust flaps. So yes I am talking about the way the exhaust is handled through the M sound button. If it’s closed the exhaust doesn’t breath freely and I was wondering if that affected the horsepower since it is closing the exhaust flaps when you turn it off. Usually more flow more power.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 03:03 PM   #77
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The M sound button does run through the speakers like you mentioned but it also controls the exhaust flaps. So yes I am talking about the way the exhaust is handled through the M sound button. If it’s closed the exhaust doesn’t breath freely and I was wondering if that affected the horsepower since it is closing the exhaust flaps when you turn it off. Usually more flow more power.
Maybe so, but coding ASD off has no impact on exhaust flap behavior.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 03:22 PM   #78
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Best idea to code off ASD completely using Bimmercode, then use the sound control button just for the natural sounds.

I think I understand the confusion now. You asked about ASD off, I assumed you were talking about coding it off as that is the only way to JUST turn ASD off. You were actually talking about the sound control button button which also changes flap behavior.

So, to rephrase your question….does closing the exhaust flaps reduce HP? That is a good question, I don't know.

ASD just stands for Active Sound Design and just refers to the fake exhaust sounds coming through the speakers.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 03:37 PM   #79
G80_GuyGuy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Best idea to code off ASD completely using Bimmercode, then use the sound control button just for the natural sounds.

I think I understand the confusion now. You asked about ASD off, I assumed you were talking about coding it off as that is the only way to JUST turn ASD off. You were actually talking about the sound control button button which also changes flap behavior.

So, to rephrase your question….does closing the exhaust flaps reduce HP? That is a good question, I don't know.

ASD just stands for Active Sound Design and just refers to the fake exhaust sounds coming through the speakers.
So the key here is to code the ASD out (get rid of the fake sound) and keep the M sound button on so the exhaust flap opens. As long as the turning off the ASD doesn't mess with the exhaust flap as well. I was also curious about this because next week I am installing an aftermarket subwoofer and I don't want the ASD playing through the sub like it did in my F82. F82 was an easy fix because I was able to just unplug it unlike the G80 where there is no plug for the ASD. I want to code out the ASD but also want to keep the the exhaust open while I'm in full throttle in sports+.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 03:41 PM   #80
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So the key here is to code the ASD out (get rid of the fake sound) and keep the M sound button on so the exhaust flap opens. As long as the turning off the ASD doesn't mess with the exhaust flap as well. I was also curious about this because next week I am installing an aftermarket subwoofer and I don't want the ASD playing through the sub like it did in my F82. F82 was an easy fix because I was able to just unplug it unlike the G80 where there is no plug for the ASD. I want to code out the ASD but also want to keep the the exhaust open while I'm in full throttle in sports+.
BimmerCode coding for sure just turns ASD off. Flap behavior stays stock.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0