BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-28-2022, 08:59 PM   #1
Patsfan1997
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition M xDrive

Future G80 M3 Competition xDrive owner with some questions

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hello Bimmerpost! I'm a newbie here. Been an Audi owner for the past 18 years, but I just placed my deposit for a 2022 (or possibly 2023) M3 Competition xDrive and had a few questions for you.

I'm in Canada and the dealer has indicated that the safety features like accident avoidance, etc. come standard here. I believe in the US, you need to opt for Driving Assistance Pro to get that. Is this true from your knowledge/experience?

I have a pretty good idea of most of the options I want:
- Premium package (gotta have the HUD, 360 camera, heated SW, etc.)
- Frozen dark grey or Brooklyn grey - I'm torn here!
- Standard CFRP roof or sunroof - again, torn here.
- All black wheels
- Red brake callipers
- Carbon trim inside
- CF package outside
- Shadowline headlights
- Silverstone/Black leather seats - not sure it's worth spending an extra $4k to get leather on the dash
- Don't need CF seats or carbon ceramic brakes as I won't track it much
- Don't need adaptive cruise control - prefer to drive the car
- I heard the Harmon Kardon sound system is pretty average

For those who've already received their cars and know what they look/feel like in person, your feedback/advice is greatly appreciated.

TIA!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 09:38 PM   #2
Dundas
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 xDrive BSM

One option to consider is Shadowline Delete which gives you body colour mirrors and spoiler (instead of Gloss Black) and chrome badges and exhaust tips.
https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1916571
'08 E92 M3 BSM - sold
'02 E46 M3 CB - sold
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 10:22 PM   #3
MauiSteve
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M Sport 540i

If you're into the grey color schemes I think you should consider Dravit. I'd not do the sunroof as the vast majority wants CF roof, and this will go better with all the other CF trim you're selecting. I think you're making a mistake not taking the leather dash and I don't think that should be 4K more- the extra leather surfaces really elevates the interior. The all black wheels will show more dirt and brake dust, but look awesome when clean. And yes, the HK sound sucks. Remember- in for a penny in for a pound... so make your build to not regret missing options.
      04-29-2022, 10:36 AM   #4
csayad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 xDrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 Competi ...  [8.57]
  [0.00]
If you're looking for actual driving experience I'll tell you. I came from a 2019 Audi RS5 Sportback, then before that I came from an F80 M3. Personally driving the G80 xDrive is great. I'll start with the negative about the car, the turning radius can be a pain the butt. The Harmon Kardon sound system could be better, but I have a fix I'll touch on later in this reply. Otherwise that's honestly it which is even surprising to me. I've had my TB M3 for 7.5 months and put 7000 miles on it. No difference on break in service except having the ability to use LC. I personally like this car because it's even more dailyable then the F80. Yes I've seen ppl drive it all four seasons. The positives is that the G8X platform with xDrive is a game changer because it gives the confidence of AWD, but insanity of RWD. I love the new interior, I have silverstone, without the full interior. I drove mine in the winter, I live in Illinois btw. There was one rlly bad day but the car held up. I wasn't even on winters, I have DWS 06+'s which did great. Coming full circle with the Harmon Kardon, just use bimmercode to code in the Bowers and Wilkins sound profiles and watch Whats Your Fortes Video for EQ, which I enjoy. If you want more info let me know!
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2022, 10:42 AM   #5
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
You want carbon roof because it has lines down the top of it that you dont get with the sunroof. Those lines tie in with the sporty look of the car. The sunroof looks much more bland.

You also want shadowline lights for the black housing they have inside them. They look nicer.

I would also highly suggest you get full leather. It just adds a lot of luxury to the car. Its worth every penny. If you dont get it, your upper door cards and dash will be plastic. Which only really blends well with an all black interior. But again, it looks like a typicaly 3 series without leather dash.

I would pick Dravit or frozen dark grey. I have dravit and love it. But I wouldnt mind some frozen dark grey either. Brooklyn is much too common to me.
      04-29-2022, 12:33 PM   #6
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I would get full leather. It's does a lot to class up the interior.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 3
masd79470.00
      04-29-2022, 12:41 PM   #7
BugKiller
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M4Cx cvt

My 2 cents

Saw a Brooklyn Grey M3 and it made me want to change my build. It will look great with all the CF in your build.

I would stick with a theme and go with the Black Brake Calipers.

As for the CF Roof vs the Sunroof, you are in Canada. Will you use it much? I am in So. Cal. and I use mine 2-3 times per year.

As for the interior trim. I am also torn on it. I wish the Build Your Own Tool in the BMW NA website showed the difference. [Hint, Hint to BMW; poor marketing to not show a $$$ option better.] If this site was more searchable we might find threads where owners have posted good pictures but I have yet to see any in the months I have been here.
      04-29-2022, 08:09 PM   #8
Patsfan1997
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundas View Post
One option to consider is Shadowline Delete which gives you body colour mirrors and spoiler (instead of Gloss Black) and chrome badges and exhaust tips.
https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1916571
So that's what that is?! I much prefer the CF mirror and spoiler, and black exhaust tips. I like contrast.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 08:16 PM   #9
Patsfan1997
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiSteve View Post
If you're into the grey color schemes I think you should consider Dravit. I'd not do the sunroof as the vast majority wants CF roof, and this will go better with all the other CF trim you're selecting. I think you're making a mistake not taking the leather dash and I don't think that should be 4K more- the extra leather surfaces really elevates the interior. The all black wheels will show more dirt and brake dust, but look awesome when clean. And yes, the HK sound sucks. Remember- in for a penny in for a pound... so make your build to not regret missing options.
In Canada, the Silverstone/white is a $0 option. If I choose full leather, to get that on the dash, it's an extra $4k. Not sure it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 08:22 PM   #10
Patsfan1997
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csayad View Post
If you're looking for actual driving experience I'll tell you. I came from a 2019 Audi RS5 Sportback, then before that I came from an F80 M3. Personally driving the G80 xDrive is great. I'll start with the negative about the car, the turning radius can be a pain the butt. The Harmon Kardon sound system could be better, but I have a fix I'll touch on later in this reply. Otherwise that's honestly it which is even surprising to me. I've had my TB M3 for 7.5 months and put 7000 miles on it. No difference on break in service except having the ability to use LC. I personally like this car because it's even more dailyable then the F80. Yes I've seen ppl drive it all four seasons. The positives is that the G8X platform with xDrive is a game changer because it gives the confidence of AWD, but insanity of RWD. I love the new interior, I have silverstone, without the full interior. I drove mine in the winter, I live in Illinois btw. There was one rlly bad day but the car held up. I wasn't even on winters, I have DWS 06+'s which did great. Coming full circle with the Harmon Kardon, just use bimmercode to code in the Bowers and Wilkins sound profiles and watch Whats Your Fortes Video for EQ, which I enjoy. If you want more info let me know!
I'm getting the silverstone interior. It looks great in the configurator. How does it look in person? What color exterior did you get? And does recoding the sound system really make that big a difference? If so, I'll absolutely do it. I'm a huge music buff so it's important for me. That being said, the real music will come from the exhaust system!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 08:24 PM   #11
csayad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 xDrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 Competi ...  [8.57]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan1997 View Post
Quote:
I'm getting the silverstone interior. It looks great in the configurator. How does it look in person? What color exterior did you get? And does recoding the sound system really make that big a difference? If so, I'll absolutely do it. I'm a huge music buff so it's important for me. That being said, the real music will come from the exhaust system!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan1997 View Post
Quote:
Personally I saw a big difference in coding the sound system, the silver stone is my favorite interior color, however I don't wear jeans. My exterior is tanzanite Blue.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 08:26 PM   #12
Patsfan1997
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
You want carbon roof because it has lines down the top of it that you dont get with the sunroof. Those lines tie in with the sporty look of the car. The sunroof looks much more bland.

You also want shadowline lights for the black housing they have inside them. They look nicer.

I would also highly suggest you get full leather. It just adds a lot of luxury to the car. Its worth every penny. If you dont get it, your upper door cards and dash will be plastic. Which only really blends well with an all black interior. But again, it looks like a typicaly 3 series without leather dash.

I would pick Dravit or frozen dark grey. I have dravit and love it. But I wouldnt mind some frozen dark grey either. Brooklyn is much too common to me.
Lots of people suggesting full leather. Per the configurator, the doors are already leather. When I click on full leather only the dash changes. Will have to look into it. Also I will check out pick of the Dravit grey on the forum, seems to be popular. But so far, the frozen dark grey is my favourite.
Appreciate 1
BIGW0RM3157.50
      04-29-2022, 08:31 PM   #13
Patsfan1997
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugKiller View Post
Saw a Brooklyn Grey M3 and it made me want to change my build. It will look great with all the CF in your build.

I would stick with a theme and go with the Black Brake Calipers.

As for the CF Roof vs the Sunroof, you are in Canada. Will you use it much? I am in So. Cal. and I use mine 2-3 times per year.

As for the interior trim. I am also torn on it. I wish the Build Your Own Tool in the BMW NA website showed the difference. [Hint, Hint to BMW; poor marketing to not show a $$$ option better.] If this site was more searchable we might find threads where owners have posted good pictures but I have yet to see any in the months I have been here.
I hear ya on the Brooklyn grey. The contrast is so much more pronounced than with the frozen dark grey. I have a sunroof on my current car and I do open it up whenever it's not too hot outside. Yes I'm in Canada but the summers here get pretty hot - it's all relative And agree about the NA websites or BMW. The configurator sucks. I'm going to search for pics of the silverstone interior because the pics on the BMW site are way too artificial.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 08:35 PM   #14
LuxemburgBMV
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xdrive msport

Garage List
Tops of doors are not leather unless you get full leather. The dash top and bottom become leather and a bit next to your knee on the center counsel. $2,500 US option and it was with every penny. Makes the car so much nicer. I have driver assistance pro, and use it a lot. Winter wheels and tires also critical for Northern driving. BMW has a nice setup.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 09:17 PM   #15
Patsfan1997
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxemburgBMV View Post
Tops of doors are not leather unless you get full leather. The dash top and bottom become leather and a bit next to your knee on the center counsel. $2,500 US option and it was with every penny. Makes the car so much nicer. I have driver assistance pro, and use it a lot. Winter wheels and tires also critical for Northern driving. BMW has a nice setup.
Does BMW sell winter wheels or did you go after market? Also did you get 20/19 or 19/18? Will see if I can see an M3 or M4 with full leather in person to help me decide. It will be while before I get an allocation so I'm sure I'll have the opportunity.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 09:51 PM   #16
LuxemburgBMV
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xdrive msport

Garage List
BMW sells a package of 19 inch wheels with Michelin Alpin 5s installed and balanced with TPMS etc The rear wheels are 1/2 wider for offset.

Calgary BMW had them in stock this year when everyone in US was out.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 10:12 PM   #17
Patsfan1997
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxemburgBMV View Post
BMW sells a package of 19 inch wheels with Michelin Alpin 5s installed and balanced with TPMS etc The rear wheels are 1/2 wider for offset.

Calgary BMW had them in stock this year when everyone in US was out.
Sounds good. I was perusing the Winter Tires thread and saw this option. I will probably go with that.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 06:43 PM   #18
Patsfan1997
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Personally I saw a big difference in coding the sound system, the silver stone is my favorite interior color, however I don't wear jeans. My exterior is tanzanite Blue.
Umm...I do wear jeans. Are you saying the white will turn blue because of that? Not good!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 07:23 PM   #19
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT, G01/F97 X3M

I'm also in Canada. Also have the silver stone leather and really like it. Yes the full leather would have looked more upscale but imho 4K is too much for that step up. If it was 1-2k it would have made more sense.

My exterior is Brooklyn grey. I think that colour is under appreciated as it has so many different looks depending on lighting.

I think you would like the carbon roof more on this sort of a car.[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 10:09 PM   #20
mthreesixty3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 911 Carrera (991.2)

silverstone is sick!!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 09:33 AM   #21
Patsfan1997
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagergab View Post
I'm also in Canada. Also have the silver stone leather and really like it. Yes the full leather would have looked more upscale but imho 4K is too much for that step up. If it was 1-2k it would have made more sense.

My exterior is Brooklyn grey. I think that colour is under appreciated as it has so many different looks depending on lighting.

I think you would like the carbon roof more on this sort of a car.[IMG][/IMG]
Looks beautiful. At the dealership they showed me a sample and it looks like a very light grey, rather than the white you see in the pictures. Is it hard to keep it clean? I saw a Brooklyn grey M4 yesterday and it's pretty sick.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 04:44 PM   #22
Patsfan1997
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Has anyone opted for the M Driver's Package? Are there tracks in Canada for this and is it worth it? In Canada it's a $2500 option, and I believe it's one day on the track. TIA.
Appreciate 0