03-18-2021, 11:13 PM   #23
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Nope base - but the specific feeling (or lack thereof) in steering calibration should be consistent across trim levels.

I keep hearing about Giulia steering! Is it close to the G20 steering? I just had one as a loaner earlier this week, and it is noticeably better than F30 was but felt more distant than when I got back into my F82. But on the whole, BMW EPS has gotten better in the normal models that I've driven
In my experience the Giulia's steering is noticeably superior to the G20's. It's one of the fastest steering cars I've ever driven. Not the most road feedback-rich but something about it makes you feel very involved in the driving experience. The G20 has this artificial videogame-like weighting. I suppose one can become used to it and get the most out of the car.
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7601.50
      03-19-2021, 12:17 AM   #24
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious View Post
I test at drove a g80 yesterday and my current car is an e92 m3 comp. I've had pretty much every m3 and m coupé except the f80 m3 and going back to back from the g80 to the e92 it's pretty clear the ride quality in the e92 is superior.

The g80 feels similar to the f80's I've driven where the quest for faster lap times has lead to a ride on normal roads that's too firm IMO. I will still probably buy the car as it's best of the current competition but I wish bmw softened down comfort suspension so there was less vertical motion transmitted to the occupants on rough roads. Previous m3's struck a better balance between compliance and body control IMO.

To me despite how fast the m3 is on track it's still a road car and needs to work on the road. That's my biggest complaint about the car but oh well.
I had E90 and E92 competition pack M3s and found their ride to be very brittle. Like road lane turtles would shake and rattle through the entire car and they felt very crashy going over minor potholes. However, undulations and bumps in the road were fine. If the G8x is crashy and brittle then I might be out.

The S65/S85 were pinnacle excitement for a road car but at a great cost in many measures and now they are dated in performance too. The rest of the E9x was pretty ho hum although I did personally like the interior and exterior design quite a lot. But the hydraulic steering and DCT attached to that motor is something else. I disliked the 6MT on the E9x because well, it was just not good.

I've had ownership time now in modern N20, N55, B58, and S58 powered cars as well as a couple FI Audis and when you move to those powertrains in modern packages, it's impossible for me to go back to NA as it would be just for the sound and that's not enough.
The g80 doesn't crash on bumps at all. It's well damped over sharp impacts it's more depressions and small humps in the road where the entire body seems to track the road surface rather than the wheel moving up and down and leaving the body isolated.

It's not harsh or brittle feeling it just transmits a lot of vertical motion into the cabin I feel.

I still am shopping for the car and it won't put me off buying it as it's a trend among all newer sports cars but I still don't like it.
Ok that's good to hear and that's how my X3MC feels. Quite comfortable with road imperfections but a bit stiff in the rebound department, which I can easily live with.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 10:57 AM   #25
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmf8x View Post
Do you have competition pack?

Also I don't even mean hydraulic steering.

The Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0T has the best electric steering I've ever felt, and the new g20 330i comes close.

I've driven a giulia 2.0T and a F82 M4 back to back very hard extensively. Obviously the M4 is in a completely different class of capability, but when it comes to steering, any normal driver would be able to tell the giulia just feels so much better.
Nope base - but the specific feeling (or lack thereof) in steering calibration should be consistent across trim levels.

I keep hearing about Giulia steering! Is it close to the G20 steering? I just had one as a loaner earlier this week, and it is noticeably better than F30 was but felt more distant than when I got back into my F82. But on the whole, BMW EPS has gotten better in the normal models that I've driven
I had a 330 g20 loaner for a week. I have a giulia 2.0t in the house I beat the shit out of cause it's a lease. Also have driven f30's a good amount.

Keep in mind I daily the M4 and drive it hard so it's going to sound weird how highly I speak of the giulia, but I swear Alfa knocked that car out of the park.

F30 is an absolute joke, horrible steering, the m4 is way better. I only dog on the m4 steering because it's an M car, but yeah it's not impressive to me.

The giulia steering is phenomenal I can't explain it, it feels like a 1000 lb go cart. I've driven 911's and while the giulia has minor body roll and tires arent up to par, the actual steering feel of the car is closer to Porsche/supercar than to bmw's. This is probably why the quadrifoglio is so loved by enthusiasts.

G20 steering I'm a fan of acfually and while again the F8x handles way better the g20 steering feels superior to the F8x. Just my opinion.

I'd say Alfa>g20>F8x>f3x. (Steering alone) But again keep in mind there's a big difference between overall handling/chassis/suspension/capability etc AND just steering feel. Obviously the F8x is in a league of its own in all the stated categories, these are just sporty commuter cars I'm comparing the steering to. I feel like if the G8x is anything like the g20 I'll be a fan of the steering.

When I say steering feel I specifically mean how direct it feels. Things like lifeless play, rubbery feeling etc are things that are massive downsides.

Overall the handling of the g20 is more disconnected the F8x is more raw, I agree with you on that, but I'm talking about specifically steering. I have a very careful sense of steering feel because I've been fortunate enough to drive the shit out of so many cars all the way from ricers to supercars.
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7601.50
      03-19-2021, 11:25 AM   #26
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

the steering feel of the quattroformaggio is indeed the best I ever experienced.
but there are just way too much negatives compared to BMW to really get into the game considering one (at least for me).
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2021, 12:37 PM   #27
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp!on View Post
the steering feel of the quattroformaggio is indeed the best I ever experienced.
but there are just way too much negatives compared to BMW to really get into the game considering one (at least for me).
Reviews still note the terrible reliability of the car, and that's a lot of money to spend for something that might not start in the morning. Sorry Alfa.
Scorp!on1514.50
bsmf8x778.50
      03-19-2021, 04:46 PM   #28
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp!on View Post
quattroformaggio
Appreciate 1
Scorp!on1514.50
      03-19-2021, 05:21 PM   #29
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
Quote:
So if you had to pick one, which one has the most "soul"?
It's not the F8X.

I need more time with the G. Mine arrives in May so I think I can answer that question better after a "getting to know you" period.

But at first glance it's the E. You love it for what it can't do as much as what it can.
Well, if it's not the F80 then it's definitely not the G80! In my opinion the new ///M has lost its heritage. It has gone completely against the grain of the norm. :
      03-19-2021, 07:24 PM   #30
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERMAN M3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
Quote:
So if you had to pick one, which one has the most "soul"?
It's not the F8X.

I need more time with the G. Mine arrives in May so I think I can answer that question better after a "getting to know you" period.

But at first glance it's the E. You love it for what it can't do as much as what it can.
Well, if it's not the F80 then it's definitely not the G80! In my opinion the new ///M has lost its heritage. It has gone completely against the grain of the norm. :
Have you driven one? I'd not, Try it. I don't think there's anything the F80 does better, but that's just my opinion.
      03-23-2021, 01:26 PM   #31
e30nicole
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: verde mantis m4

That line up 🤩... thank you for the invite 🙏
-Instagram E30nicole
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2021, 01:27 PM   #32
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel