BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

01-15-2021, 04:01 AM   #1
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

Porsche or M3 Touring curveball?

Hello all. This is my first post here, i just came to gather some thoughts and, if you have a spare minute or two, some opinions.

I recently sold my M2 which I had from 2017. I really enjoyed all aspects of it and sold it for good money to a good owner. The goal was to move toward a GT4 (either 981 or 982) next, but also on my shortlist are a 718 GTS 4.0 or potentially a low mileage 911 991.2 GTS. This was well and decided in my head until BMW threw a big curve ball by announcing the M3 Touring which really caught my attention.

Sure, I know that the M3 Touring is different from the others hence 'curve ball '. It's likely it will be between one of the GT4's and the Touring - the GTS's are there just to provide alternatives. I have another car - a Skoda VRS Diesel - which is also a touring. I really like the touring vibe, but I wonder if the M3 will be really exciting at first and then pass me by after a week or two because the other cars are arguably much more exciting to drive. In terms of availability, I am on the so called ''VIP'' list at my local BMW dealer, and I have been told I could have one of the first cars.

Just FYI, I am 27, and I run my own import-export company in personal care. I have no kids, so the plan was to get a great weekend car. But, the idea of being one of the first to ever own a real OEM M3 Touring is extremely tempting, and potentially I could even get into a GT4 first and later trade into the touring.

So my question is this, where do you stand on this shortlist and the where would you place the M3 Touring? So many options. Your thoughts?

Thanks for your time. Kris.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 04:32 AM   #2
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
I believe the M3 Touring makes it even more clear in choosing between practicality vs driving experience.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 05:08 AM   #3
petrolhead.
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Another issue that might be worth considering is the fact that the Porsche 911 is not only a very good sports car, but unfortunately THE status symbol in Europe.

A posh BMW might not be noted as "exclusive", maybe more "exotic". But the 911 could potentially affect your relationship to customers. Just worth considering. Not sure whether this applies to the Cayman as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 05:12 AM   #4
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead. View Post
Another issue that might be worth considering is the fact that the Porsche 911 is not only a very good sports car, but unfortunately THE status symbol in Europe.

A posh BMW might not be noted as "exclusive", maybe more "exotic". But the 911 could potentially affect your relationship to customers. Just worth considering. Not sure whether this applies to the Cayman as well.
In the context that it would be seen at the company? I do agree in some context especially the Czech Republic people are very jealous, but as I said the 911's are there for mere alternatives its between the Caymans and potentially the touring..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 10:27 AM   #5
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

If you plan to use it at track days...there’s something very appealing hunting down sports cars in a wagon

And as CanAutM3 eluded to if you need to transport pretty much anything get the wagon. The P-car will suck at that.
Appreciate 1
krizze924.00
      01-15-2021, 11:43 AM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Why no C63 Estate or RS4 Avant?

I ask because those are there for the taking, yet haven't tempted you, right? If that's the case, you have to ask yourself, "is it the hype?". As you suggested in your post, sometimes it's cool to be first, but at the end of the day the purchase needs to have some lasting appeal.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 11:53 AM   #7
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Why no C63 Estate or RS4 Avant?
I would guess the same reasons most of us here drive an M3/4 instead of a C63 or RS5?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 12:00 PM   #8
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I would guess the same reasons most of us here drive M3/4 instead of a C63 or RS5?
But he doesn't desire those cars - he had an M2 and was going to move to a Porsche next.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 12:21 PM   #9
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
But he doesn't desire those cars - he had an M2 and was going to move to a Porsche next.
Sorry I should have been clearer that I guess the reason is that he prefers BMWs over Benz and Audi and that would be the main reason he isn’t already driving their wagons. Guessing here of course.
Appreciate 1
krizze924.00
      01-15-2021, 01:02 PM   #10
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

If you already have the Skoda, I don't see much reason to own another estate/wagon/touring.

The GT4 might be the most perfectly balanced pure sports car we can buy. I'd go in that direction to have both kinds of experiences
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25051.00
akhbhaat180.50
krizze924.00
      01-15-2021, 01:24 PM   #11
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry I should have been clearer that I guess the reason is that he prefers BMWs over Benz and Audi and that would be the main reason he isn’t already driving their wagons. Guessing here of course.
Sure, I see what you mean. That may be the case, but I suspect that he chose an M2 is because it is unique vehicle on the market and it fit his needs. He's obviously not married to the BMW brand since he's contemplating buying a Porsche (again, presumably for the unique experience rather than the brand). The fact that he drives a Skoda VRS rather than a similar BMW product further suggests pragmatism.

To me there's enough here to make this feel like a potential buyer's remorse situation, which is why I think he needs to challenge himself with the line of thinking I brought up. But let's see what he says.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 02:35 PM   #12
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Sure, I see what you mean. That may be the case, but I suspect that he chose an M2 is because it is unique vehicle on the market and it fit his needs. He's obviously not married to the BMW brand since he's contemplating buying a Porsche (again, presumably for the unique experience rather than the brand). The fact that he drives a Skoda VRS rather than a similar BMW product further suggests pragmatism.

To me there's enough here to make this feel like a potential buyer's remorse situation, which is why I think he needs to challenge himself with the line of thinking I brought up. But let's see what he says.
Agreed, good thing is that both cars should hold value well in case he does end up regretting the choice. It might be difficult to get an M3CT though if he passes on the initial opportunity but maybe the same goes for the Cayman.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 04:15 AM   #13
EndBosS
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Coupé

Garage List
2024 XM  [9.00]
2022 G01 X3 LCI xDr ...  [0.00]
If you are not going to track the GT4... don't buy it... it's a boring car for the road. (I know I'll get hate for it, but it's my opinion)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 06:12 AM   #14
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:

You're sort of correct. the reason for the Skoda is in this country if you turn up in a 3 series touring to a meeting the price of what you're going to sell has to drop down because they will see you have money and demand a bigger discount.. crazy i know but this is the general way of life here in Eastern Europe. i looked into the C63 and its not really for me i've never been tempted by Mercedes, Audi of course a great option, but again i go for BMW because i like to go Sideways, i Chose the M2 because i wanted something fun on the back roads and to go sideways and i imagine the M3 Touring will have the 4wd - 2wd DSC OFF mode as the m3/m4 have, if the M3 Touring was Soley 2WD then i think it would really really really make things difficult for me to choose....
Appreciate 1
mkoesel7505.50
      01-16-2021, 06:14 AM   #15
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndBosS View Post
If you are not going to track the GT4... don't buy it... it's a boring car for the road. (I know I'll get hate for it, but it's my opinion)
No hate here, just discussions, i'd disagree since i have driven on one the road at length, sure long distance you're right, but B roads? and mountain passes? albeit ok the gearbox isn't the GT3 Manual however still? why do you think so? im going from a DCT M2 and for me the GT4 is a similar type of car albeit much more refined
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 06:15 AM   #16
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
If you already have the Skoda, I don't see much reason to own another estate/wagon/touring.

The GT4 might be the most perfectly balanced pure sports car we can buy. I'd go in that direction to have both kinds of experiences
Yes of course very good point, this is one of the sticking points which are in my head when im thinking about it, i'll essentially have the same car but obviously different, as i said in a previous post if the Touring would be Soley RWD then it would be very attractive.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 06:16 AM   #17
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
No you're correct, i don't and i never have liked Mercedes, and Audi focus too much on 4WD its not for me.
Appreciate 1
solstice5456.50
      01-16-2021, 06:50 AM   #18
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizze View Post
You're sort of correct. the reason for the Skoda is in this country if you turn up in a 3 series touring to a meeting the price of what you're going to sell has to drop down because they will see you have money and demand a bigger discount.. crazy i know but this is the general way of life here in Eastern Europe.
That’s completely understandable. The same phenomena exists here to some degree.

Quote:
i looked into the C63 and its not really for me i've never been tempted by Mercedes, Audi of course a great option, but again i go for BMW because i like to go Sideways, i Chose the M2 because i wanted something fun on the back roads and to go sideways and i imagine the M3 Touring will have the 4wd - 2wd DSC OFF mode as the m3/m4 have, if the M3 Touring was Soley 2WD then i think it would really really really make things difficult for me to choose....
The M3 Touring is indeed reported to be an AWD only model, but you’re correct that it will be able to be switched off just as with other M xDrive equipped cars. I still don’t think this seems like the best fit for your desire to have “fun on the back roads and to go sideways” although I’m sure it’ll be plenty capable of that.

Along with the RS4 and C63 Estate, another existing vehicle that comes to mind is the Alpina B3 Touring which I suppose you’ve ignored for other perfectly rational reasons.

As any rate, my vote is the 982 GT4.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 11:13 AM   #19
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndBosS View Post
One of my friends here got a Cayman a few years ago. It turned out that he was in love with the idea of it but he couldn’t live with it every day. Sold it after a year, said he scratched that itch for a lifetime and never buying something similar again.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 02:41 PM   #20
theox05
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 GT4

Quote:
One of my friends here got a Cayman a few years ago. It turned out that he was in love with the idea of it but he couldn’t live with it every day. Sold it after a year, said he scratched that itch for a lifetime and never buying something similar again.
As a counterpoint, after 6 months of 981 GT4 ownership I'm still in love. A 911 fits my needs better for weekend trips with the wife (and probably the next step), but I'm enjoying the hell out of this car.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 04:43 PM   #21
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theox05 View Post
As a counterpoint, after 6 months of 981 GT4 ownership I'm still in love. A 911 fits my needs better for weekend trips with the wife (and probably the next step), but I'm enjoying the hell out of this car.
I hear you, I used to daily my Ducati 748 S and loved it while most reviews said it was torture with the low clip-ons and high foot pegs. Personal circumstances, fitness etc. play a big role in how you’ll rate driving a more hard core vehicle day out and day in but if you’ll value some practicality it can easily go wrong.
Appreciate 0