BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

09-25-2020, 06:41 PM   #1
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Heart Burn

Anyone experiencing/ experienced this? I get really bad heart burn till the point where it messes with my breathing.

Doctor put me on omeprazole + carafate and i'm only on day 2 but still feeling it. What remedies help you guys ease it, I literally don't sleep. Already working on switching up diet.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 07:24 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Wow, Never new heartburn could mess with breathing. I sincerely hope it eases and you feel better soon.
Appreciate 1
davidr3447.50
      09-25-2020, 07:54 PM   #3
davidr3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Wow, Never new heartburn could mess with breathing. I sincerely hope it eases and you feel better soon.
I didnt either, genuinely thought I was dying. Did some research, talking to doc. Few possibilities but they're all related to the reflux irritating my lungs in some way. almost feels like asthma, and i've never had asthma
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 08:08 PM   #4
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidr3 View Post
Anyone experiencing/ experienced this? I get really bad heart burn till the point where it messes with my breathing.

Doctor put me on omeprazole + carafate and i'm only on day 2 but still feeling it. What remedies help you guys ease it, I literally don't sleep. Already working on switching up diet.
It can take a few days for Omperazole to begin working, give it time.
      09-25-2020, 08:39 PM   #5
Desmond79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i, 2009 328i

I get the gurds in my throat and take enzymes.

2009 328i 6 spd stick, Crimson Red/Sport Suspension, Bavsound Stage 1, 2

Former BMWs: '79 320i, '84 325e, 2000 328i, 2014 535i
Appreciate 1
davidr3447.50
      09-25-2020, 11:13 PM   #6
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Does it happen only when you sleep?
davidr3447.50
      09-25-2020, 11:34 PM   #7
omega2733
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 MGM

I have this happen with certain things, but rather than breathing it's severe chest pain like you describe. Almost feels like I'm having a heart attack sometimes, going cold and clammy. Diet is the biggest tip I can give you which you've figured out, I don't take any medications for it except tums/rolaids as needed (doesn't help too much).

Sometimes the least likely culprits can cause this too, for me these foods didn't always cause a flare but definitely could cause one and was more common to irritate me at night. Peanut Butter Sandwich (weird one), Spicy pepperoni, spicy italian sausage, heavily oily foods, excess food with too much vinegar, glass of acidic juices & eating large meals at once rather than several small ones.
Appreciate 1
davidr3447.50
      09-25-2020, 11:59 PM   #8
davidr3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
Does it happen only when you sleep?
No, leads up from during the day, lasts through the night till I finally get it to subside.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 12:15 AM   #9
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidr3 View Post
No, leads up from during the day, lasts through the night till I finally get it to subside.
One of the things I discuss with my patients, besides diet and lifestyle, is sleep position at night to reduce reflux and minimize the aspiration of the acids. You can actually get a pneumonia if the acid gets into your lungs. Try to avoid sleeping supine (on your back), and more on your left side. The medication will should also help.

Do you suffer from sleep apnea?
      09-26-2020, 12:16 AM   #10
davidr3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2733 View Post
I have this happen with certain things, but rather than breathing it's severe chest pain like you describe. Almost feels like I'm having a heart attack sometimes, going cold and clammy. Diet is the biggest tip I can give you which you've figured out, I don't take any medications for it except tums/rolaids as needed (doesn't help too much).

Sometimes the least likely culprits can cause this too, for me these foods didn't always cause a flare but definitely could cause one and was more common to irritate me at night. Peanut Butter Sandwich (weird one), Spicy pepperoni, spicy italian sausage, heavily oily foods, excess food with too much vinegar, glass of acidic juices & eating large meals at once rather than several small ones.
Yeah, mine reacts weird and I almost have like this type of shortness of breath. makes me wonder if i've developed some type of asthma. Tums did nothing for me so i've moved onto stronger medicine till I figure out diet. Honestly I've needed to do diet as is, fried foods & red meats aren't good for me considering my families health in general.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 12:17 AM   #11
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Acid reflux, GERD, has a direct correlation with Sleep Apnea. It's something that can really cause problems.
      09-26-2020, 12:28 AM   #12
davidr3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
Acid reflux, GERD, has a direct correlation with Sleep Apnea. It's something that can really cause problems.
Tbh, if I don't have GERD actively going on I sleep fine. I'm younger, and not overweight it's just something irritating my lungs it feels like.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 01:33 AM   #13
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

i never experience but i know someone who had the same issues.. you have to stay away from spicy food, tomato, fried fatty foods, onion, chocolate, alcohol, coke completely at least until things settle down..
      09-26-2020, 03:00 AM   #14
omega2733
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
i never experience but i know someone who had the same issues.. you have to stay away from spicy food, tomato, fried fatty foods, onion, chocolate, alcohol, coke completely at least until things settle down..
Alcohol, ugh I forgot that causes one of the most intense and immediate flare ups for me of anything. Usually I can eat anything and not have an issue 9/10 times, alcohol 8/10 times ends up giving me heart burn within minutes. Definitely cut this out and pay attention to see if it's causing your reflux.
Appreciate 1
davidr3447.50
      09-26-2020, 06:00 AM   #15
xxTHIR13ENxx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

I used to have intense heart burn every other week or so, as some have said, usually triggered after eating certain foods.

One night I just couldn't sleep and around 3am had to go to the E.R. it was so bad. Felt like a huge bubble in my chest with piercing pain towards my upper back. No matter what I tried, just couldn't get rid of it.

Turned out to be gallstones and an inflamed gallbladder. Within a week after having it removed I was back to normal. Been 2 years now, and only had the same feeling once again, which subsided with some antacids.

Be aware of food-triggers, proper posture, breathing, and at night-time, try sleeping slightly slanted.. like, with two pillows or if you have an adjustable frame, at a slight angle. And if you're a side-sleeper like myself, turn on your left side.

Hope you feel better!
- Leo.
Appreciate 1
davidr3447.50
      09-26-2020, 06:57 AM   #16
Josh-PA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2, n55 e88, B58 G05

I get it with some regularity. Similar to others, there are certain foods (usuallly an oily salad) that sets me off. Once it occurs, it stays with me until I force myself to vomit out the offending cause. Doesn't matter if it is an hour later or days later... If I don't get rid of it, I'm in agony until I do. My body flat our refuses to digest it. Really, really sucks.
Appreciate 1
davidr3447.50
      09-26-2020, 10:43 AM   #17
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

one food I didn't see listed that I'm finding a bit harsh on the digestion is chocolate, it might just be me and my sugar addiction but any kind of chocolate feels acidic I think is the best way to describe it.
Appreciate 1
davidr3447.50
      09-26-2020, 08:16 PM   #18
davidr3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
Absolutely, completely switching up my diet. Shitty feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2733 View Post
Alcohol, ugh I forgot that causes one of the most intense and immediate flare ups for me of anything. Usually I can eat anything and not have an issue 9/10 times, alcohol 8/10 times ends up giving me heart burn within minutes. Definitely cut this out and pay attention to see if it's causing your reflux.
Genuinely don't see myself drinking again for a while.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 08:18 PM   #19
davidr3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxTHIR13ENxx View Post
I used to have intense heart burn every other week or so, as some have said, usually triggered after eating certain foods.

One night I just couldn't sleep and around 3am had to go to the E.R. it was so bad. Felt like a huge bubble in my chest with piercing pain towards my upper back. No matter what I tried, just couldn't get rid of it.

Turned out to be gallstones and an inflamed gallbladder. Within a week after having it removed I was back to normal. Been 2 years now, and only had the same feeling once again, which subsided with some antacids.

Be aware of food-triggers, proper posture, breathing, and at night-time, try sleeping slightly slanted.. like, with two pillows or if you have an adjustable frame, at a slight angle. And if you're a side-sleeper like myself, turn on your left side.

Hope you feel better!
- Leo.
Thanks for the tips, think i'm going to go get double checked & make sure it isn't H Pylori. Hopefully this clears up with diet + ensuring nothing else is going on.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 08:19 PM   #20
davidr3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-PA View Post
I get it with some regularity. Similar to others, there are certain foods (usuallly an oily salad) that sets me off. Once it occurs, it stays with me until I force myself to vomit out the offending cause. Doesn't matter if it is an hour later or days later... If I don't get rid of it, I'm in agony until I do. My body flat our refuses to digest it. Really, really sucks.
Wish I could just handle it like that, even if I don't have heartburn all day I still have the breathing issues. Sleeping has become the toughest thing

Quote:
one food I didn't see listed that I'm finding a bit harsh on the digestion is chocolate, it might just be me and my sugar addiction but any kind of chocolate feels acidic I think is the best way to describe it.
Willing to give up anything at this point lol
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 06:41 AM   #21
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Diet & exercise. I use to get some pretty intense heartburn, to the extent it would wake me up in the middle of the night and I would have to vomit. I was roughly 30-40lbs heavier though, wasn't in bad shape, but was holding too much excess weight. Now I never get it, regardless of what I eat. Just start eating clean to an extent, smaller portions. You can still flavor your food nicely with whatever spices, just cut down intake and be diligent on making something more on the healthy side. Also drink lots of water, this is way too overlooked. Water intake improves gut health and helps with digestion, i.e less heartburn. All I drink through the week is black coffee and water, that is it.

Good luck, and hope you start feeling better. Heartburn is the absolute worst!
Appreciate 1
davidr3447.50
      09-28-2020, 11:30 PM   #22
davidr3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Diet & exercise. I use to get some pretty intense heartburn, to the extent it would wake me up in the middle of the night and I would have to vomit. I was roughly 30-40lbs heavier though, wasn't in bad shape, but was holding too much excess weight. Now I never get it, regardless of what I eat. Just start eating clean to an extent, smaller portions. You can still flavor your food nicely with whatever spices, just cut down intake and be diligent on making something more on the healthy side. Also drink lots of water, this is way too overlooked. Water intake improves gut health and helps with digestion, i.e less heartburn. All I drink through the week is black coffee and water, that is it.

Good luck, and hope you start feeling better. Heartburn is the absolute worst!
Thank you, i'm at a healthy weight and over the past week have been trying to eat a lot healthier. It really is affecting my quality of life if i'm being honest & it seems I might of damaged my esophagus in the process so healing is slower.
Appreciate 0