BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

12-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #1
a1gio2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

E36 M3, AP1 S2K, RSX-Type S vs G80 M3

Yes, you read that correctly!

I'm not actually talking about comparing the cars in terms of performance on an individual level, more so in value.

I have the three cars in the title, and I'm considering selling all three of them and buying one G80 M3...

All of my cars are relatively low mileage excellent condition cars, so selling the three would bring me close to MSRP on the new G80. But...is it worth it?

I'd have very high expectations and know that I'd be taking on a rapidly depreciating car vs. three relatively stable if not appreciating cars that are all reliable, fun and low cost to maintain.

I had an F80 lease and by year 2 it lost it's appeal to me. When I look at new cars, I think everything is so expensive that is has to be truly special to justify. For example a 340i is nice, but not special enough to me...

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 11:41 AM   #2
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1gio2 View Post

I'm not actually talking about comparing the cars in terms of performance on an individual level, more so in value.

I have the three cars in the title, and I'm considering selling all three of them and buying one G80 M3...

All of my cars are relatively low mileage excellent condition cars, so selling the three would bring me close to MSRP on the new G80. But...is it worth it?

I'd have very high expectations and know that I'd be taking on a rapidly depreciating car vs. three relatively stable if not appreciating cars that are all reliable, fun and low cost to maintain.

I had an F80 lease and by year 2 it lost it's appeal to me. When I look at new cars, I think everything is so expensive that is has to be truly special to justify. For example a 340i is nice, but not special enough to me...

Thoughts?
If it was me, I would sell all three and buy a G80. I look at cars as a "hobby" and not an investment or just a means of transportation, so I accept that fact that it costs me money to have fun. I also prefer modern cars over older ones, because I know after 22 years of owning BMWs I already enjoyed the older ones when they were new!

But if the F80 became boring after 2 years of ownership (lease) I would be worried that the G80 is going to be the same for you. And at that point you will probably regret it because of depreciation vs. what you had. If I were you I would at least wait and buy a CPO (or heavily discounted) G80 after a year or so, which would reduce the depreciation and therefore the regret

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 1
a1gio2211.50
      12-09-2020, 05:57 PM   #3
Gizmo 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C BSM, 6MT

Do you have the space for those three cars? Do you drive them? Do you enjoy driving them when/if you do? Answering these might help.

But if it were me, I’d drop the S2k and RSX before sunrise. Just not a fan of the lack of torque as well as how loud and harsh they are. Unless the M3 was a dedicated track car with a dedicated purpose I’d get rid of that too as the G will do everything better. Just my $.02.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 08:45 PM   #4
a1gio2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo 335i View Post
Do you have the space for those three cars? Do you drive them? Do you enjoy driving them when/if you do? Answering these might help.

But if it were me, I’d drop the S2k and RSX before sunrise. Just not a fan of the lack of torque as well as how loud and harsh they are. Unless the M3 was a dedicated track car with a dedicated purpose I’d get rid of that too as the G will do everything better. Just my $.02.
I have space and drive them all. The RSX is a daily, the S2K and E36 are weekend fair weather cars. They are enjoyable in that they are not driven often.

Honda reliability is hard to beat - especially with cars you own.
M3 would either be a 3-season manual RWD car or AWD full year car. I'm leaning towards manual and don't think I'm ready for an automatic yet.

I think...though I'm not certain that if I sold the three cars and got the new M3, I probably wouldn't miss them.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 07:22 AM   #5
Gizmo 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C BSM, 6MT

That's fair. You might want to grab a manual while you still can. Keep the RSX for winter with its FWD and all.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 11:51 AM   #6
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
I have space and drive them all. The RSX is a daily, the S2K and E36 are weekend fair weather cars. They are enjoyable in that they are not driven often.

Honda reliability is hard to beat - especially with cars you own.
M3 would either be a 3-season manual RWD car or AWD full year car. I'm leaning towards manual and don't think I'm ready for an automatic yet.

I think...though I'm not certain that if I sold the three cars and got the new M3, I probably wouldn't miss them.
I'm in the same boat, and I'd personally keep it this way over getting 1 new car. For the same price, I'd so much rather have all sorts of different driving experiences, rather than just 1, especially since you said you got bored of F80. Why would G80 by any different with that regards?

As you say, if you have the means, then add, don't replace
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 08:47 AM   #7
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I'm with the others - if the F80 bored you after awhile, I suspect the G80 will be no different. And then you eat depreciation on something you sold non-depreciating assets for.

Since you mentioned value preservation, if I were in your shoes I'd think about keeping the S2K and selling the other two. The Honda is the one most beloved of enthusiasts...and therefore most likely to keep/rise in value - it already has, actually. And it offers the most special driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 01:24 PM   #8
akhbhaat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M318ti Type-R Turbo S

Same as above. I flirted with going the one-car-quiver route--the M cars are well-suited for that by design--but after having multiple more purposeful cars found that I couldn't really accept all the compromises and wasn't even going to save money, either. And yes, routinely switching between them makes me appreciate tham all that much more.

The E36 M3 and S2K are two of the very best (semi-?) modern driver's cars ever built. Brilliant road cars that you can exploit almost anywhere; the only thing they lack is raw power (relative to today's absurdities, anyhow) that you wouldn't really be able to use on public roads anyhow. As the others have said, there's little indication that the G80 is going to be any more fun than the F80; it has more power and will almost certainly accelerate faster (which doesn't really matter; you'll acclimate to that quickly and the F80 is already far too quick for the street), but a longer wheelbase which should make it even less playful, and lot more weight which is going to compromise handling, braking, and the overall feel of the car.

Last edited by akhbhaat; 12-18-2020 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 05:23 AM   #9
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:

Thoughts?
You got bored by an F80 after only two years so why a new version of that would be any different? If anything, it may or may not even be worse.

DO NOT sell your S2000 or E36 M3. Definitely not an S2000. It is a special car and everyone I know that sold theirs had to get another one down the road. But, you will always be able to buy a new BMW M3.
      01-06-2021, 04:45 AM   #10
brocurls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mazdarati

Let me know if you decide to let go the RSX or S2000. I'm interested

DD: 2020 Mazda CrystalWhite CX-5 GT w/PP
Wife's: 2023 Audi S5 Sportback DistrictGreen Premium Plus w/Blk Optic Package
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 04:25 PM   #11
Mosef81
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 mineral grey

I would keep the S2K, as others have alluded to, it's a special car from a 'goldilocks era' of japanese cars and will retain/appreciate in value. The e36, here in the UK was not loved as much for some reason. Maybe wait and drive the G80 before you decide... the appreciating assets will appreciate in the meantime whilst the price of the G80 will become more affordable with discounts after yr1/2 of production. The M2 competition may well be the best BMW on sale at the moment, and if reviews of the G platform are anything to go by, it may be the high watermark for BMW for some time. So there's another option there.
Appreciate 0