home
Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

11-03-2020, 07:57 AM   #1
chicagoguy0822
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Convertible (G83)

Switch to all-season tires at delivery?

When my car arrives, will my dealership charge extra to swap out the tires for all-seasons? I live in Chicago, won't be taking it on a track, and don't want to be swapping out tires every six months.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 09:09 AM   #2
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Yes, it will likely need to be delivered with the summer tires. I'll buy your summer tires next Fall if you don't want them, I'll probably go through a set by then. I would caution that all seasons on a car with that much torque in a Chicago winter might not be a great idea. I wouldn't trust a set of all seasons below 20 degrees or so on a clear/dry day.
      11-03-2020, 10:29 AM   #3
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Dealer will charge you full price for a set of all seasons. (At least you can keep the summers) You are much better off price wise taking to a tire shop. You also will have a very limited selection of the best dry grip ultra high performance all seasons. As noted these cars are going to put down a lot of power.
It's worth it to at least give some thought to separate summer and winter rims/tires for a vehicle of this type.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 11:00 AM   #4
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Welcome! Here is some advice....don't get an M if you're going to put on all seasons...

If you do so, you're negating the vast majority of the performance (the only part of the car that touches the road is the rubber and it's the most important part). Also, the car won't be that f*king good in the snow either! You're familiar with the expression "jack of all trades, master or none." That is applicable to all season tires.

If you wish to drive an M as a daily in a temperate climate (like NYC or Chicago), you need to run winters. That's the bad news. The good news is that you will get 4-5 years off a single set of winter tires. If you drive conservatively, you can get several years off of performance tires as well (I can run through a set of Michelin PS4S in 2 weeks or 2 years depending on how I drive).

I run Michelin Aplins in the winter...I am an avid skier and it is amazing what a RWD car can do with dedicated winter tires.

So, since you're not burning through tires faster (you're utilizing performance tires from april to early later october and winters for the balance of each year), the only cost is the 2x/year tire swap. If you get an alignment performed along with the tire swap, you're additional cost should be $400-$500 per year of ownership.

If you have any additional questions feel free to DM or respond here...but please don't put all seasons on an M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 12:17 PM   #5
chicagoguy0822
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Convertible (G83)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Welcome! Here is some advice....don't get an M if you're going to put on all seasons...

If you do so, you're negating the vast majority of the performance (the only part of the car that touches the road is the rubber and it's the most important part). Also, the car won't be that f*king good in the snow either! You're familiar with the expression "jack of all trades, master or none." That is applicable to all season tires.

If you wish to drive an M as a daily in a temperate climate (like NYC or Chicago), you need to run winters. That's the bad news. The good news is that you will get 4-5 years off a single set of winter tires. If you drive conservatively, you can get several years off of performance tires as well (I can run through a set of Michelin PS4S in 2 weeks or 2 years depending on how I drive).

I run Michelin Aplins in the winter...I am an avid skier and it is amazing what a RWD car can do with dedicated winter tires.

So, since you're not burning through tires faster (you're utilizing performance tires from april to early later october and winters for the balance of each year), the only cost is the 2x/year tire swap. If you get an alignment performed along with the tire swap, you're additional cost should be $400-$500 per year of ownership.

If you have any additional questions feel free to DM or respond here...but please don't put all seasons on an M3.
Thank you for the honest advice... I will go with it. If I'm going to spend that amount on a car, I might as well not go half-assed on one of the most important pieces. I probably have to get another set of rims too though, right? Or can they just swap the tires?
Appreciate 2
      11-11-2020, 03:33 AM   #6
Bimmr7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp/G80 M3 Comp on Ord

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328  [0.00]
2010 BMW 335 M Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreen822 View Post
Thank you for the honest advice... I will go with it. If I'm going to spend that amount on a car, I might as well not go half-assed on one of the most important pieces. I probably have to get another set of rims too though, right? Or can they just swap the tires?
Honestly just get a set of cheap wheels off of tire rack. You don’t want the salt eating your wheels up.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 11:20 AM   #7
BigMo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BG on KO G80 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreen822 View Post
When I got my first F80 in 2015 I got lucky and there was a group buy on the forums for a winter set. Wheels and tires. I live in Chicagoland as well. A lot of tire shops will store and swap the wheels for you. I paid $75 a season which included storage. So $150 for the year. I made an appointment, quick drive over, 30 minute swap and they stored my wheels until the next season. I typically only had the winters on November through February.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 12:37 PM   #8
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmr7 View Post
Honestly just get a set of cheap wheels off of tire rack. You don’t want the salt eating your wheels up.
These cars deserve to have great wheels on them at all times. Either swap just the tires or buy a dedicated winter wheel set up.

i had 640M winter wheels and conti winter contact tires on my first F80.

On my CS, the "CS wheels" (763M) really separate the car from other F80s. I have kept the wheels on both winters I had the car so that I keep the "CS look" and I just swap out the tires.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2020, 03:57 PM   #9
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
On my CS, the "CS wheels" (763M) really separate the car from other F80s. I have kept the wheels on both winters I had the car so that I keep the "CS look" and I just swap out the tires.
I think I'm going to go this route with my next lease. I did separate wheels for the F80, partly because I was dead set on getting a square setup to try to maximize traction in the snow. I abandoned that idea after the first season because I didn't like the stretch on the rears, and really only cared about cold whether traction than dealing with snow. The other part was having the rationale that paying for mounting and balancing for 4 wheels 2 times a year for 3 years would be close to the cost of a set of decent secondhand wheels, plus I could sell them afterwards.

In reality, I usually had a tire or two that needed to be replaced each time I put the summers back on anyway, plus I managed to scratch one of my summer wheels during transport (which I was trying to avoid a tire place doing with the extra mounting). This mixed with not really liking the 437Ms I got for more winter setup as much just made me wonder what the hassle would be.

I suppose the selection of winter tires for the 20" wheels wasn't as good then as is it now either, especially when I was looking mid-fall.
      11-23-2020, 03:17 PM   #10
drkeng
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 'vert Tanz Blue

another vote for separate winter tires/wheels from tire rack.
that's what I've done for years since '07 335, '14 435 and '18 M4.
currently have Blizzaks