BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

01-25-2021, 12:01 AM   #1
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

What determines when a dealer gets allocations?

As the title says, how does it work? Does BMW release allocations to all dealers at the same time? A few dealers at a time? Who gets them first? And most importantly, when are dealers going to have allocations for us to order the cars? I know a few people already have, but generally they don't seem to be out there yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 07:36 AM   #2
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

You should tag GOLFFRR - he would know or can find out.

My understanding is that they are typically released on a monthly basis and are issued to all dealerships on more or less the same day.

Are you trying to order a base model? In general, those seem to be in shorter supply. If not, I've seen a number of folks mention that their dealership has a few Competition model allocations available, so you may be able to secure one if you shop around.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 08:20 AM   #3
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15, G05 X5, G80 M3 6sp

My local dealer said that BMW reviews each month what they think that the dealer needs according to size of market and other factors. My local dealer is small so he feels they may not receive many allocations and might not even get a manual option for one this year.

Basically he said there in limbo on it and don't know anything till it happens according to him. They can guess but that's about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 09:09 AM   #4
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
You should tag GOLFFRR - he would know or can find out.

My understanding is that they are typically released on a monthly basis and are issued to all dealerships on more or less the same day.

Are you trying to order a base model? In general, those seem to be in shorter supply. If not, I've seen a number of folks mention that their dealership has a few Competition model allocations available, so you may be able to secure one if you shop around.
Competition for me. I bought my last five cars from the same dealer and SA so I will likely just wait for them to get an allocation to stay loyal to them. I was just curious if there was any rhyme or reason to when dealers get allocations.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 09:18 AM   #5
Kansr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM M8

I have mixed feelings on this topic.

I originally went in to my local dealer back mid-december cause my lease was running out on my Q60. I went to talk about the M4 and he immediately said we won’t have any to look at until summer.

End of conversations because he started steering me to a M2C they had in the showroom. (classic sales tactic...having done sales before I was immediately put off with the whole idea...I went to talk X and he was trying to sell my Y, I let him do his bit peacefully and left)

Now a bit disheartened and frustrated, I then went to another dealer completely just to check out other options thinking well clearly I can’t have what I want (needing a car now even more urgently) and happened to ask about the M4 while looking at a 440...I was told they could have me one, within 2 months I was shocked (more so because i thought i had made my intentions clear during my first experience)

I started doing my research both here and other places and learned about allocations etc etc etc (spoke to a car broker as well). Went back to local dealer same sales rep. now armed with knowledge. His tune changed completely, i don’t know if we just weren’t talking the same language at first but now he clearly understood what it was I wanted.

To be fair, he was right I don’t think there will be any available just to see until summer time (you may get lucky in March when they start arriving and see someone else’s car but emphasis on SEE, prior to then picking it up). I was further explained that his dealership received more allocations than any other in the tri-state area in comparison when I asked when exactly I could have one if I placed an order today, and the costs would be less as well.

Considering the second go-around, I went there determined not to receive a ‘NO’ spoke the correct language and had money to back up my interests. He was able to put through my order.

I’m sure there are many factors in play. Including how interested you actually are, the sales persons own experience in the topic... as well as the technical aspects market etc etc.

if you live in the middle of no where chances are, the dealer may get fewer allocations...you have to think really from BMW’s standpoint.

Why would you give first productions slots to a dealership who may not sell the car to begin with. You want got give them to the better performing more volume more foot-trafficked locations. Who will have a better chance at selling the vehicle to begin with.

Find the biggest dealership in your area and start there. Show interest, be ready to close, allocations go quick.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 05:38 PM   #6
snareman
United_States
Rep

Well, tragedy averted. Or something like that. Got my allocation.
Appreciate 1
m20e30871143.00