03-24-2022, 03:01 PM   #5589
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Did you see the story about the guy who tried to carjack a patrol car and the DA doesn't want to press charges? I need to google, I forget where it was. I saw it on the news the other night. I think it was MO. This world is going completely batshit crazy.
I haven't heard about that incident. Definitely link it if you find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Quote:
Did you see the story about the guy who tried to carjack a patrol car and the DA doesn't want to press charges? I need to google, I forget where it was. I saw it on the news the other night. I think it was MO. This world is going completely batshit crazy.
I was listening to a podcast yesterday and they talked about this new "cancel culture" and how we as a society are shifting to this acceptance, ignorance and basically coddling way of dealing with things is setting a precedence thats dangerous for uncontrollable growth of power for future generations. Essentially because of emotions, we are limiting the power of law, and removing the ability for our authorities to enforce law. I don't want to go too deep into the topic because it gets political, but it's scary when you think about it.
You are spot on about emotions overruling logic. People will get what they ask for and they will suffer for it. I love telling people, "Sorry! Our hands are tied. You voted for this."
Appreciate 4
///d1822.00
vreihen1615481.00
Buug95917725.50
paquet629.50
      03-24-2022, 03:05 PM   #5590
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

If I were to report a suspicious person at or near the vicinity of Sidecar donuts and then placed another call about another suspicious person at or near my house, do you think you could bring me some donuts?
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan25181.50
///d1822.00
Buug95917725.50
cmyx6go15801.50
      03-24-2022, 03:06 PM   #5591
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
If I were to report a suspicious person at or near the vicinity of Sidecar donuts and then placed another call about another suspicious person at or near my house, do you think you could bring me some donuts?
You'd be waiting indefinitely.

When I/we hear "suspicious person" we roll our eyes and continue doing what we're doing. Lol!
Appreciate 2
Buug95917725.50
vreihen1615481.00
      03-24-2022, 03:55 PM   #5592
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
At first glance, I thought that you were talking about this one. Judge let a DWI guy who assaulted a trooper while being ROR'ed walk without bail on the felony assault on a LEO charge, because he claimed that he had a college midterm in his Criminal Justice program and he needed to return to college.....

https://midhudsonnews.com/2022/03/24...cop-go-free-2/
      03-24-2022, 05:02 PM   #5593
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

We had our local PD in here today for some safety training. I noticed his usual stealth Charger had been replaced by a marked Tahoe. I asked him if he missed the Charger and he said they were all gone. The whole PD is migrating to SUVs.

I always liked the Chargers, end of an era.
      03-24-2022, 05:05 PM   #5594
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
We had our local PD in here today for some safety training. I noticed his usual stealth Charger had been replaced by a marked Tahoe. I asked him if he missed the Charger and he said they were all gone. The whole PD is migrating to SUVs.

I always liked the Chargers, end of an era.
The Chargers suck. Rearward/blind spot visibility is horrible and the car is cramped. Reliability was shoddy too. I choose the SUV 100% of the time.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2022, 05:10 PM   #5595
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
The Chargers suck. Rearward/blind spot visibility is horrible and the car is cramped. Reliability was shoddy too. I choose the SUV 100% of the time.
Never drove it or been in one but their black stealth one always looked good staked out on the on-ramp by our exit.

However, if you think those are cramped you might get a kick out of HPD's stealth Camaro's. I did get to sit in one of those and it was tight even by Camaro standards.
      03-24-2022, 05:11 PM   #5596
shoei
Banned
Rep

Attached Images

Appreciate 4
vreihen1615481.00
Dino GT35134.50
Buug95917725.50
      03-24-2022, 05:12 PM   #5597
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Never drove it or been in one but their black stealth one always looked good staked out on the on-ramp by our exit.

However, if you think those are cramped you might get a kick out of HPD's stealth Camaro's. I did get to sit in one of those and it was tight even by Camaro standards.
We used the Camaro's for commercial enforcement on my old department. Those things were useless for sure, but they looked cool and were harder for truckers to identify…….and they were all white.
Appreciate 2
      03-24-2022, 05:40 PM   #5598
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Reminds me of when we got Reliant K cars for general patrol. They didn't last a year.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25181.50
Dino GT35134.50
Buug95917725.50
      03-24-2022, 06:37 PM   #5599
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Reminds me of when we got Reliant K cars for general patrol. They didn't last a year.
What was the best US domestic patrol car?
      03-24-2022, 08:08 PM   #5600
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
At first glance, I thought that you were talking about this one. Judge let a DWI guy who assaulted a trooper while being ROR'ed walk without bail on the felony assault on a LEO charge, because he claimed that he had a college midterm in his Criminal Justice program and he needed to return to college.....

Cortlandt, that perp’s parents have ties. Damn Westchester people!!
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615481.00
      03-24-2022, 09:50 PM   #5601
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

OK, got one for the resident deputy...

Generally speaking pedestrians always have the right of way. We know this. When a pedestrian arrives at a crosswalk and wishes to cross and there is an approaching car, it's on the car to stop for the pedestrian to let them cross. But what if said car is already in the intersection when the pedestrian arrives at the crosswalk? Is the driver expected to stop IN the intersection and yield to the pedestrian or are they expected to clear the intersection, effectively ignoring the fact that the pedestrian is standing there wanting to cross?

Yes this stems from a personal experience today where I was approaching an intersection and two people we standing on the corner chatting with each other. The one with his back to the street abruptly turned around 180 and stepped into the crosswalk in one motion while I was in the intersection driving through. I kept going, he yelled at me and gave the finger. My only other option was to jam on the brakes and stop in the intersection, which seemed wrong. But I'm honestly not sure who was in the right. Maybe he was?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25181.50
      03-24-2022, 10:32 PM   #5602
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
"Best" is left up to interpretation but I will say the best patrol cars are the Explorers we drive now. I consider it to be the best because of the space, usability, visibility and relative comfort. Some of the most significant physical issues we face come from sitting/ingress/egress in these vehicles with all of this equipment on, affecting our bodily alignment and causing chronic issues. Moving to a duty vest set-up is better and centralizes most of our tools along the upper torso, but there are still issues. Anybody that has worked the beat for any length of time in a Crown Victoria, Caprice, Charger, etc. will lament about the back pain, hip pain, shoulder pain, etc. I absolutely hate being in any patrol car that is not an SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post

Generally speaking pedestrians always have the right of way. We know this.
This is actually not true. It is one of the most misunderstood facets of traffic enforcement.

Quote:
When a pedestrian arrives at a crosswalk and wishes to cross and there is an approaching car, it's on the car to stop for the pedestrian to let them cross.
This is somewhat true and somewhat false. At an intersection/crosswalk WITHOUT tri-phase signals and WITHOUT illuminated right-of-way signals, it is up to the pedestrian to ensure that the approaching vehicles have yielded and given them dominion over the lane. A pedestrian cannot just walk into a marked crosswalk that traverses across multiple lanes and expect cars to stop. At an intersection/crosswalk WITH tri-phase signals and WITH illuminated right-of-way signals, those traffic control devices dictate who has the right of way.

Quote:
But what if said car is already in the intersection when the pedestrian arrives at the crosswalk?
…the pedestrian is at fault if they enter the direct path of the vehicle.

Quote:
Is the driver expected to stop IN the intersection and yield to the pedestrian
No! You create a traffic hazard and risk being rear-ended.

Quote:
….or are they expected to clear the intersection, effectively ignoring the fact that the pedestrian is standing there wanting to cross?
It is the pedestrian's responsibility to cross safely and ensure that oncoming traffic has yielded to them BEFORE they enter the roadway.

Quote:
Yes this stems from a personal experience today where I was approaching an intersection and two people we standing on the corner chatting with each other. The one with his back to the street abruptly turned around 180 and stepped into the crosswalk in one motion while I was in the intersection driving through. I kept going, he yelled at me and gave the finger. My only other option was to jam on the brakes and stop in the intersection, which seemed wrong. But I'm honestly not sure who was in the right. Maybe he was?

You were in the right.
Appreciate 3
DETRoadster11466.50
vreihen1615481.00
      03-24-2022, 10:56 PM   #5603
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
"Best" is left up to interpretation but I will say the best patrol cars are the Explorers we drive now. I consider it to be the best because of the space, usability, visibility and relative comfort. Some of the most significant physical issues we face come from sitting/ingress/egress in these vehicles with all of this equipment on, affecting our bodily alignment and causing chronic issues. Moving to a duty vest set-up is better and centralizes most of our tools along the upper torso, but there are still issues. Anybody that has worked the beat for any length of time in a Crown Victoria, Caprice, Charger, etc. will lament about the back pain, hip pain, shoulder pain, etc. I absolutely hate being in any patrol car that is not an SUV.

Quote:

This is actually not true. It is one of the most misunderstood facets of traffic enforcement.

Quote:
When a pedestrian arrives at a crosswalk and wishes to cross and there is an approaching car, it's on the car to stop for the pedestrian to let them cross.
This is somewhat true and somewhat false. At an intersection/crosswalk WITHOUT tri-phase signals and WITHOUT illuminated right-of-way signals, it is up to the pedestrian to ensure that the approaching vehicles have yielded and given them dominion over the lane. A pedestrian cannot just walk into a marked crosswalk that traverses across multiple lanes and expect cars to stop. At an intersection/crosswalk WITH tri-phase signals and WITH illuminated right-of-way signals, those traffic control devices dictate who has the right of way.

Quote:
But what if said car is already in the intersection when the pedestrian arrives at the crosswalk?

Quote:

Quote:
….or are they expected to clear the intersection, effectively ignoring the fact that the pedestrian is standing there wanting to cross?
It is the pedestrian's responsibility to cross safely and ensure that oncoming traffic has yielded to them BEFORE they enter the roadway.

Quote:

You were in the right.
Thanks!!!

We have those illuminated walkway signals all over Seattle. The pedestrian presses a button at the crosswalk and instantly a bunch of strobe lights on signs light up to catch the drivers attention. I generally like them because honestly it's sometimes hard to tell if someone wants to cross or is just hanging out on the corner.

The one annoying thing is pretty much every pedestrian who presses that button things it's a "press this and the world stops immediately" button. I'm in a heavy ass SUV going 30 mph. I can't stop in 0.001 seconds just because you pressed a button!
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25181.50
      03-24-2022, 10:59 PM   #5604
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You were in the right.
Thanks!!!

We have those illuminated walkway signals all over Seattle. The pedestrian presses a button at the crosswalk and instantly a bunch of strobe lights on signs light up to catch the drivers attention. I generally like them because honestly it's sometimes hard to tell if someone wants to cross or is just hanging out on the corner.

The one annoying thing is pretty much every pedestrian who presses that button things it's a "press this and the world stops immediately" button. I'm in a heavy ass SUV going 30 mph. I can't stop in 0.001 seconds just because you pressed a button!
Any law enforcer worth his/her weight in transient sweat will school the pedestrian and even cite them for failing to adhere to the rules of the road. They do not have carte blanche over the roadway. Some of these pedestrians are as bad as the motorists who think a turn signal gives them the right-of-way. It does not!
Appreciate 3
DETRoadster11466.50
Buug95917725.50
      03-24-2022, 11:03 PM   #5605
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You were in the right.
Thanks!!!

Any law enforcer worth his/her weight in transient sweat will school the pedestrian and even cite them for failing to adhere to the rules of the road. They do not have carte blanche over the roadway.
I love pushing that button right by my house even if I'm not gonna cross. Entire crosswalk lights up. Life comes to a stop. It's peaceful for 15 seconds.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25181.50
      03-25-2022, 06:44 AM   #5606
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
I haven't heard about that incident. Definitely link it if you find it.

It seems suspect was originally released, because DA wouldn't file charges for car jacking but was arrested a few days later for gun charges. Why didn't they charge him for the gun originally?

And how stupid is this guy? He didn't know it was a police car, or he smartened up and realized nothing good can come from this.

The crime is out of control. It's a free for all.

https://fox2now.com/news/missouri/ma...sed-from-jail/
Sedan_Clan25181.50
      03-25-2022, 06:46 AM   #5607
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:

That's pretty screwed up.
Sedan_Clan25181.50
      03-25-2022, 07:18 AM   #5608
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
I love pushing that button right by my house even if I'm not gonna cross. Entire crosswalk lights up. Life comes to a stop. It's peaceful for 15 seconds.
On this coast, those buttons are just there as a placebo. Nobody pushes them, and they don't do a darn thing but make a hollow thump in the light pole even if you do push one.

As for peaceful, the cross walk signals that I saw in London had loud beepers on them to alert pedestrians that they could cross and when the time was about to expire. Can't picture those beepers being used here in the USA, with all of the NIMBYs and Karens.....
      03-25-2022, 07:25 AM   #5609
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
On this coast, those buttons are just there as a placebo. Nobody pushes them, and they don't do a darn thing but make a hollow thump in the light pole even if you do push one.

As for peaceful, the cross walk signals that I saw in London had loud beepers on them to alert pedestrians that they could cross and when the time was about to expire. Can't picture those beepers being used here in the USA, with all of the NIMBYs and Karens.....
We have the beepers and a flashing timer in MN. Kids use the beeper as a countdown timer for racing.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615481.00
      03-25-2022, 09:30 AM   #5610
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

If you weren't eating all those donuts, would you need all the space in the SUV?

The beeping crosswalk lights by work seem to be like the sonic rat traps: homeless don't like it and move to another uncontrolled intersection