BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-10-2024, 01:59 PM   #1
abg80m3
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Competition (G80)

Dravit grey paint matching issues - thoughts?

Hey guys,

I was involved in an accident a few months ago in my G80. I took my car to a reputable BMW certified shop in the Toronto area and they replaced my front bumper and passenger side fender, along with some other mechanical components. They did a pretty poor job with paint matching the dravit grey. They blended into the passenger side door, but not into the hood or driver side fender. See pics of the poor paint match between the new bumper/fender and the factory painted hood.

I took the car back and after a bit of back and forth they agreed to re-do the paint on the car. From what I know they're going to be repainting the bumper, both fenders, and now the hood as well. Should I be concerned that my paint is just ruined now?? Name:  IMG_8705.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  643.2 KB

Name:  IMG_8713.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  307.4 KB

Name:  IMG_8721.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  672.1 KB
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13543.50
      04-10-2024, 02:26 PM   #2
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

You might wanna tell them you’ve got PPF on those panels so that gets pulls off before the paint job happens again. Your hood definitely looks PPFd based on the cut/exposed corner in the pic. You sure they didn’t fuck that up on the other panels and that’s why it looks off? Also, be aware that if they don’t use good quality paint like PPG or better, it just won’t be the same… especially since how the paint is laid down (pass direction and pattern) the same as factory, metallic and reflective shifting paint can be off axis and that’s why it looks a different shade. Used to see it happen a lot with mystic colors back in the day.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2024, 02:29 PM   #3
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Also, am I seeing things or is your right fender also PPFd? Why does it look like there’s paint from the blending process ON TOP of PPF? The corners look like they may be hiding the corner PPF cuts with paint layered on top.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2024, 02:37 PM   #4
abg80m3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
Also, am I seeing things or is your right fender also PPFd? Why does it look like there’s paint from the blending process ON TOP of PPF? The corners look like they may be hiding the corner PPF cuts with paint layered on top.
Yep I have PPF all over the car and the shop was aware of this when they did the repairs. After they did the re-paint they had their own vender re-install XPEL PPF on the car after curing.

In terms of the paint brand, they are using Glasurit which I've seen online is a recommended supplier by BMW? Is PPG different?
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13543.50
      04-10-2024, 02:49 PM   #5
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

If they’re using that paint and they mixed it exact then it should be a dead match since that’s factory BASF partner paint. I’d say it’s either technique on laying it down or something else like age messing with it. I know you’ve got to blend in metallic finishes to get a match, but I’ve also had trim parts, side skirts and mirrors sprayed for a particular color that’s metallic or shift and it was dead on as long as the rest of the paint on the car was new and it was done in the same direction of flow/strokes. The really good painters take that into consideration based on the paint type, etc.
Appreciate 2
mathys202.50
      04-10-2024, 03:18 PM   #6
a1gio2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Take pictures from a distance of both sides of the car and from the front looking down in the sun.

Tell them to keep it until the paint matches on the entire car...
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2024, 03:57 PM   #7
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
I would not be happy with that. Thats pretty bad for a BMW autherized shop.
Limegrntaln13543.50
      04-10-2024, 04:21 PM   #8
thatguyM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4

I ran a body shop , certified painter for Sikkens , Glasurit and so on what's happening and Im 100% Sure is that the body is doing what the Insurance is paying for but they should of told you as well what's happening - Sure they'll repaint it and in my opinion they definitely need to blend the adjacent panel I could see it in the pics the painter knows even with ppf he will use a panel without any on there and check the color do spray outs if needed to get the color correct - things have changed in the Paint world all colors are mixed unless its a factory pak from the paint manufactor . hope the next time around they do a better job if they dont now you got mil thickness which you can only have so much paint then they would have to strip it down and start all over . seen to many shops cut corners because of the insurance - and look at it now they have to redo it
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13543.50
      04-10-2024, 04:36 PM   #9
beaver9ght
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 X

Can you share with us which Toronto certified bodyshop did this
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 10:22 AM   #10
pizza240
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Budds' Collision (Budds' BMW in Oakville) did a great job for me a couple of times on a Carbon Black car in 2006 and later in 2008. I was very worried about matching paint, but it looked excellent both times.

I imagine Dravit is a difficult colour to match in general, but especially since computers/robots are painting it in the factory.

Nice that they said they would re-do it though.
      04-12-2024, 01:15 PM   #11
StreetLethal
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 6MT

Absolutely have it re-done. If its that obvious in pictures I can't imagine how it looks in person. To my eye, it looks like just getting the bumper/fascia painted correctly right would fix the issue. I'm not sure I'd let them respray my hood and fenders because then they won't match the rest of the car...I have a Dravit G80 as well and the color is phenomenal, I'd want it to look right.
Appreciate 2
      04-12-2024, 02:20 PM   #12
abg80m3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLethal View Post
Absolutely have it re-done. If its that obvious in pictures I can't imagine how it looks in person. To my eye, it looks like just getting the bumper/fascia painted correctly right would fix the issue. I'm not sure I'd let them respray my hood and fenders because then they won't match the rest of the car...I have a Dravit G80 as well and the color is phenomenal, I'd want it to look right.
I honestly didn't want them to touch the hood and fenders for that exact reason but most people I've talked to have said that the hood and fenders would need to be painted/blended in order to get things to match.

Even got a second opinion from another reputable BMW certified shop and they said the same thing about needing to respray the whole front end to get things to match. This shop was also Ferarri certified so I guess they know what they're doing.

Idk but it seems like my paint might just be fucked now
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 02:46 PM   #13
beaver9ght
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abg80m3 View Post
I honestly didn't want them to touch the hood and fenders for that exact reason but most people I've talked to have said that the hood and fenders would need to be painted/blended in order to get things to match.

Even got a second opinion from another reputable BMW certified shop and they said the same thing about needing to respray the whole front end to get things to match. This shop was also Ferarri certified so I guess they know what they're doing.

Idk but it seems like my paint might just be fucked now
Thanks for your pm! I didnt post enough so forum doesn’t allow me to reply. I also have a Dravit here so curious to see how difficult for a bodyshop to match this color. I heard European can do a good job even with matte paint. I haven’t got chance to verify that though. You probably have to deal with this shop since insurance already paid them.
It’s such a disappointment to see BMW Canada’s certified shop means nothing. They should not deliver this to you before addressing the paint matching issue. Or they loss vision gradually over years so they need a customer to tell them where the issue is.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 02:58 PM   #14
Seedster2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Competition RWD

Entire front bumper was not painted correctly. It is a darker gray without the matching gold metallic flake.

If they get it right I would consider myself lucky and avoid having them respray anything else.
      04-12-2024, 03:05 PM   #15
abg80m3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver9ght View Post
Thanks for your pm! I didnt post enough so forum doesn’t allow me to reply. I also have a Dravit here so curious to see how difficult for a bodyshop to match this color. I heard European can do a good job even with matte paint. I haven’t got chance to verify that though. You probably have to deal with this shop since insurance already paid them.
It’s such a disappointment to see BMW Canada’s certified shop means nothing. They should not deliver this to you before addressing the paint matching issue. Or they loss vision gradually over years so they need a customer to tell them where the issue is.
Yeah very shitty situation. Only reason I went to this shop to begin with is because my dealer recommended them and assured me paint matching wouldn't be an issue... what a joke
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 03:26 PM   #16
beaver9ght
Rep

Quote:
Yeah very shitty situation. Only reason I went to this shop to begin with is because my dealer recommended them and assured me paint matching wouldn't be an issue... what a joke
That’s usually how things go south and I’ve been there so I can understand your frustration. They often promise you with how it won’t affect your future warranty claim or less impact on resell value due to being repaired at a certified shop.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2024, 04:18 PM   #17
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Thats extremely bad. I did take my car over to my friends body shop, when I first got it, and he said, "If you ever have paint problems, or need something repainted, don't call me. I don't want to deal with this paint."

If IND can sell Dravit painted front bumper reflectors, without even seeing the car, someone should be able to match it having the car, in person. The better shops have that tool light that scans the actual paint, or whatever, to match the color.

Appreciate 1
      04-12-2024, 04:28 PM   #18
thatguyM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver9ght View Post
That’s usually how things go south and I’ve been there so I can understand your frustration. They often promise you with how it won’t affect your future warranty claim or less impact on resell value due to being repaired at a certified shop.
Ive had this question come up at the Body shop will this affect resale even though its repaired at a certified shop ?? This is absolutely false!
when you go to trade in your vehicle and it was in an accident and hope to GOD it doesn't show up on a car fax then your chances of getting a good trade value is a 100% .....If your accident falls on Car Fax Report it will show the Damage then your screwed I had my Vehicle repaired years ago by a certified Shop - Said it wouldn't affect trade value as it was repaired by a certified shop fast forward I traded it in guess what that 5k accident just made my trade in 10k less!!! The only good thing I kept a good documentation of the damages ended up keeping the car and selling it to another person and getting what I wanted . . Experience from running a shop I dont tell people yeah your fine dont worry about resale value ...... Screw that if the accident is not your fault a 100% - get a diminished Value from the insurance now theres a process to do this but in the end you'll get it alot of Insurance companies wont talk about it you just need to do your research to know ....
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 06:00 PM   #19
beaver9ght
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Thats extremely bad. I did take my car over to my friends body shop, when I first got it, and he said, "If you ever have paint problems, or need something repainted, don't call me. I don't want to deal with this paint."

If IND can sell Dravit painted front bumper reflectors, without even seeing the car, someone should be able to match it having the car, in person. The better shops have that tool light that scans the actual paint, or whatever, to match the color.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguyM4 View Post
Ive had this question come up at the Body shop will this affect resale even though its repaired at a certified shop ?? This is absolutely false!
when you go to trade in your vehicle and it was in an accident and hope to GOD it doesn't show up on a car fax then your chances of getting a good trade value is a 100% .....If your accident falls on Car Fax Report it will show the Damage then your screwed I had my Vehicle repaired years ago by a certified Shop - Said it wouldn't affect trade value as it was repaired by a certified shop fast forward I traded it in guess what that 5k accident just made my trade in 10k less!!! The only good thing I kept a good documentation of the damages ended up keeping the car and selling it to another person and getting what I wanted . . Experience from running a shop I dont tell people yeah your fine dont worry about resale value ...... Screw that if the accident is not your fault a 100% - get a diminished Value from the insurance now theres a process to do this but in the end you'll get it alot of Insurance companies wont talk about it you just need to do your research to know ....
unfortunately no diminished value reimbursement in Ontario, that has been ruled out many years ago
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13543.50
      04-12-2024, 11:12 PM   #20
CC M3C X
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post

I had a similar response when I went to a body shop and asked their thought or confidence level on painting the lower (gloss black parts). I also asked, if I purchased a carbon fiber hood and trunk could they paint them to match but with enough transparency to be able to see the carbon weave thru it if you looked closely. They basically told me hell no, they wanted nothing to do with it. I’m sure someone out there could do it, but I don’t know who that is.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13543.50
      04-12-2024, 11:28 PM   #21
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC M3C X View Post
I had a similar response when I went to a body shop and asked their thought or confidence level on painting the lower (gloss black parts). I also asked, if I purchased a carbon fiber hood and trunk could they paint them to match but with enough transparency to be able to see the carbon weave thru it if you looked closely. They basically told me hell no, they wanted nothing to do with it. I’m sure someone out there could do it, but I don’t know who that is.
I think he was probably joking, because he fixed my C7 when it got backed into, and Im picky as hell, and I couldn't tell. I paint correct all my cars, so, I look close, and I couldn't tell.

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 10:42 AM   #22
hpc3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 G80 Base, Build Week 12

Quote:
Hey guys,

I was involved in an accident a few months ago in my G80. I took my car to a reputable BMW certified shop in the Toronto area and they replaced my front bumper and passenger side fender, along with some other mechanical components. They did a pretty poor job with paint matching the dravit grey. They blended into the passenger side door, but not into the hood or driver side fender. See pics of the poor paint match between the new bumper/fender and the factory painted hood.

I took the car back and after a bit of back and forth they agreed to re-do the paint on the car. From what I know they're going to be repainting the bumper, both fenders, and now the hood as well. Should I be concerned that my paint is just ruined now?? Attachment 3431177

Attachment 3431178

Attachment 3431179
Yeah I worry about that too, Dravit on order. Having owned a number of metallic cars it's hard it not impossible to get an exact match to the factory paint, especially with OCD lol. Best wishes on the next painting.

Born on July 4th, 2012, PCD September 5th, 2012.
Appreciate 1