BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

01-10-2022, 09:53 AM   #1
chicagoguy0822
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Convertible (G83)

Now that the plant holiday shut down is over...

I am going to give them a few days to get my car out of QC, where it has been since 11/4. After that, I'm not going to be nice and understanding anymore. I get there are part shortages. I do NOT get why there is a complete lack of communication and why some people are getting their vehicles in the weeks after mine was produced. They should know when they expect to get parts in stock. I don't care when the anticipated ship date is... just communicate a freaking plan.
Appreciate 4
razman334.00
Ruyseart146.50
Macheins282.50
element561089.50
      01-10-2022, 10:13 AM   #2
merlin3008
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

I think good communication would shut 90% of us up. I get logistics and supply challenges. I really do. Just tell me what's going on.
2016 M235i xdrive, Alpine White, Terra Leather, Orbit Gray Wheels (Sold)
Appreciate 1
TrevorM33321.50
      01-10-2022, 10:20 AM   #3
mjbernatz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoguy0822 View Post
I am going to give them a few days to get my car out of QC, where it has been since 11/4. After that, I'm not going to be nice and understanding anymore. I get there are part shortages. I do NOT get why there is a complete lack of communication and why some people are getting their vehicles in the weeks after mine was produced. They should know when they expect to get parts in stock. I don't care when the anticipated ship date is... just communicate a freaking plan.
Good luck getting any new information. I sent another email to my SA and my customer support contact at BMW. Received the standard apology, but they don't seem to have any new information. Frustrating times to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 10:52 AM   #4
razman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blah

Quote:
Agreed re communication. But I will also add that I'm simply tired of waiting. While the BMW plant may have been shut down for 2-3 weeks, presumably the tech part makers (e.g., CID and RAM manufacturers) were not. I would hope that means that BMW received a large shipment of these missing parts during the shutdown and they now just need to integrate them into the cars this week. If by Friday week 43-47ers don't see movement I'm giving up.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 10:56 AM   #5
TheGriffindor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Competition XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman View Post
Agreed re communication. But I will also add that I'm simply tired of waiting. While the BMW plant may have been shut down for 2-3 weeks, presumably the tech part makers (e.g., CID and RAM manufacturers) were not. I would hope that means that BMW received a large shipment of these missing parts during the shutdown and they now just need to integrate them into the cars this week. If by Friday week 43-47ers don't see movement I'm giving up.
I’ve posted in other threads but I have an executive assistant at BMW who is contacting the German plant today to see what’s happening to all these cars in QC. She said before she’s assuming it’s a parts issue but I will update back this week when I hear back.
Appreciate 1
Macheins282.50
      01-10-2022, 11:54 AM   #6
chicagoguy0822
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGriffindor View Post
I’ve posted in other threads but I have an executive assistant at BMW who is contacting the German plant today to see what’s happening to all these cars in QC. She said before she’s assuming it’s a parts issue but I will update back this week when I hear back.
Thanks. The key is knowing when they expect to have the parts in stock. Just have a plan....
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 12:09 PM   #7
JWBimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, M4 & X5 45e

I think the key is to get us the parts they obviously already have, since cars are flying off the line with them. Why the double F are we having to wait.
      01-10-2022, 12:27 PM   #8
chicagoguy0822
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWBimmer View Post
I think the key is to get us the parts they obviously already have, since cars are flying off the line with them. Why the double F are we having to wait.
Ha! Well there's that too.....
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 12:38 PM   #9
2022M4COMP
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 COMP

Wait has the VPC been on break as well?

Is that why I haven't seen anyone taking delivery recently?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 01:55 PM   #10
gohawks23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bauer S29s

Quote:
Thanks. The key is knowing when they expect to have the parts in stock. Just have a plan....
You can't really put it all on BMW...in a lot of cases they don't know when they will be getting parts (such as semis) in...I'm in semi industry and we cant necessarily say with confidence when we are going to ship parts to customers...a lot of that is dependent on our suppliers...its a domino chain with a lot of uncertainty.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 02:05 PM   #11
adr_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 Comp RWD Oxide Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohawks23 View Post
Quote:
You can't really put it all on BMW...in a lot of cases they don't know when they will be getting parts (such as semis) in...I'm in semi industry and we cant necessarily say with confidence when we are going to ship parts to customers...a lot of that is dependent on our suppliers...its a domino chain with a lot of uncertainty.
I think a number of us are incensed not only by the lack of a given timeframe but also the fact that a number of builds past week 47 went through QC and shipped out which leads us to believe that they're arbitrarily installing available parts on vehicles instead of going through their backlog.
Appreciate 2
gohawks23426.00
Macheins282.50
      01-10-2022, 03:53 PM   #12
CC M3C X
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Xdrive

I have relayed this info to my dealership not that I think that is going to have even the slightest impact on the situation. Due to the fact that I still do not have a timeframe for the arrival of my G80 I reached out to the local Subaru dealership and asked if the sales manager could find an allocation for me. I figured since it is winter and we get snow this would be a good car to get me thru until I get my G80. I have not decided if I am going to keep the car as a commuter or sell it when the G80 comes so I spec’d it accordingly (easiest to resell). They traded an inbound car and got me an allocation inside of 24hrs. In a week I had an expected delivery date and I get an update every Monday at 8:00AM letting me know the status of the vehicle and if there is any change in the expected delivery date. The dealership gets communication from the manufacturer and it is then passed on to me (what a concept). Both brands are facing the same challenges (chip shortages, shipping gridlock, etc…). I am getting fantastic communication from Subaru and nothing from BMW. One would think it would be the other way around. I am taking delivery of the Subi today.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 05:09 PM   #13
TheGriffindor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Competition XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC M3C X View Post
I have relayed this info to my dealership not that I think that is going to have even the slightest impact on the situation. Due to the fact that I still do not have a timeframe for the arrival of my G80 I reached out to the local Subaru dealership and asked if the sales manager could find an allocation for me. I figured since it is winter and we get snow this would be a good car to get me thru until I get my G80. I have not decided if I am going to keep the car as a commuter or sell it when the G80 comes so I spec’d it accordingly (easiest to resell). They traded an inbound car and got me an allocation inside of 24hrs. In a week I had an expected delivery date and I get an update every Monday at 8:00AM letting me know the status of the vehicle and if there is any change in the expected delivery date. The dealership gets communication from the manufacturer and it is then passed on to me (what a concept). Both brands are facing the same challenges (chip shortages, shipping gridlock, etc…). I am getting fantastic communication from Subaru and nothing from BMW. One would think it would be the other way around. I am taking delivery of the Subi today.
Fuck it, I’m buying a Subaru
Appreciate 3
ando2000.50
JWBimmer135.00
mhannis50.50
      01-10-2022, 05:32 PM   #14
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC M3C X View Post

Subaru just keeps their pipeline up to date and for the most part won't let orders be placed they can't fulfill. They were late in delivering cars to dealers over the summer and cut production too so some of this happens isn't within the span of control of the manufacturer. They also will not de-content the cars either like BMW.

The communication portion is entirely the dealer keeping you informed with the information they have available. I do believe Subaru hasn't been impacted quite as hard as some manufacturers which has helped. In the end the communication is dealer 101 and you no doubt have a dealer that cares.

Another interesting fact, In 2021 Subaru sold about 558k cars in the US market to BMWs 2021 figure of 344k. Subaru is down a bunch over 2020 and BMW is up.

I bought an new Outback at the end of September threw a lift kit in and new wheels/tires too for my winter beater with a heater, ski and bike hauler.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 08:14 PM   #15
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Just to fan the flames, I sympathize with you guys and gals who are leasing or financing, and were expecting to take delivery before this month, when rates were increased. If I were you, I'd expect BMW to either honor the lower rate (if your rate lock expired) or concede the incremental financing charge. (Your CA will have to enlist your dealer's GM to initiate that concession.)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 08:52 PM   #16
james550imanual
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw x5, g80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
Just to fan the flames, I sympathize with you guys and gals who are leasing or financing, and were expecting to take delivery before this month, when rates were increased. If I were you, I'd expect BMW to either honor the lower rate (if your rate lock expired) or concede the incremental financing charge. (Your CA will have to enlist your dealer's GM to initiate that concession.)
I locked in my rate when i put down the deposit and signed initial paperwork. Was this not a common practice?
      01-10-2022, 08:56 PM   #17
yami sukehiro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by james550imanual View Post
Quote:
I locked in my rate when i put down the deposit and signed initial paperwork. Was this not a common practice?
Your rate expires in like 60/90 days, I forget which
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 09:08 PM   #18
danghe
Rep
Drives: Soon to arrive M3C xDrive

Rate is locked for 90 days after you put down the deposit and you're approved through BMWFS. In my case I put down my deposit on 12/17. According to my CA I am approved at 0.9% through the end of March.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 10:22 PM   #19
adr_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 Comp RWD Oxide Grey

Quote:
Quote:
I locked in my rate on 11/21 after my car made into QC. At the time my CA said it was good for 90 days (through the end of Feb) however he now says it's good through end of March (120 days) but that I would be subject to the current rate at the time of delivery after I raised the possibility of getting my car after the rate lock expires.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 11:58 AM   #20
james550imanual
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw x5, g80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr_M3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I locked in my rate on 11/21 after my car made into QC. At the time my CA said it was good for 90 days (through the end of Feb) however he now says it's good through end of March (120 days) but that I would be subject to the current rate at the time of delivery after I raised the possibility of getting my car after the rate lock expires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr_M3 View Post
Quote:

So if some delays occur and car arrives after rate lock expired, are we screwed? Is there recourse to get original rate quoted? Not our fault bmw did not have product when we locked in
      01-11-2022, 12:35 PM   #21
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by danghe View Post
Rate is locked for 90 days after you put down the deposit and you're approved through BMWFS. In my case I put down my deposit on 12/17. According to my CA I am approved at 0.9% through the end of March.
The rate lock time varies by region, in the midwest, it has been 60 days (unless they changed it 1/04).
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 12:39 PM   #22
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edofloat View Post
The rate lock time varies by region, in the midwest, it has been 60 days (unless they changed it 1/04).
90 days east coast, 120 west coast
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 0