BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-14-2022, 08:34 PM   #67
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
The Night Vision feature was actually available in the 5 and the 7, at least until 2020. My SO's 530e has it and our sales-human told us it was removed from the order sheet for the 5 shortly after his car was built. It's a really cool system and puts pedestrians and other such in the HUD display if they're too close to the road, or in the road, at night. It was an expensive option and almost no one chose to buy it in the 5's, but my SO is very glad he has it.
That feature might have come in handy for me this morning. Driving into town with a X1 loaner (with crappy halogen headlights), I encountered a couple stray Pyrenees on the shoulder just around a blind curve. A quick little swerve prevented me from hitting the dog that began walking into the lane.

KevinGS, thanks for the tip. Almaretto, I'll send you a PM shortly.
Appreciate 1
KevinGS3350.00
      01-15-2022, 01:16 AM   #68
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Yes, it's my understanding that when you code antidazzle, you'd also code VLD or variable light distribution, which should also allow the full beam range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
So, does that mean it can be coded out too?

Almaretto Is this part of your coding? Or only the anti-dazzle part?
When I code, I do not change beam distance. But, do you really need 900 meters?
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, it's my understanding that when you code antidazzle, you'd also code VLD or variable light distribution, which should also allow the full beam range.
VLD is low beam and corning lights/fogs based on steering wheel direction and speed. It does not involve changing full beam range.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
So, does that mean it can be coded out too?

Almaretto Is this part of your coding? Or only the anti-dazzle part?
When I code, I do not change beam distance. But, do you really need 900 meters?
I more or less meant, that somewhere in the process, of coding, it either codes or activated 900m range. And no, I don't think anyone needs 900m range.

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 02:10 AM   #69
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Is there a detailed write-up or video somewhere about the coding process (for enabling the anti-dazzle)?
Not for the G8x.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 01:48 PM   #70
retroviol3t
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Jahre - Techno Violet

My problem with coding is then it has to be re-done with every software update as far as I've been told...
Appreciate 1
The Nerd425.50
      01-16-2022, 06:19 AM   #71
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
When I leave home in the morning, it's pitch black for miles, and deer are everywhere.
Yeah, deer are the worst. I remember infrared night vision was a thing about a decade ago, and available on the 7-series at least. Is this not offered anymore?

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...mparison-test/

Quote:
The longer and brighter the light beam, the better. So far I've not noticed much improvement from our X5's LED high beams to the M4's LEDs with laserlights. The M4 may have longer range but doesn't seem any brighter nor have any better spread.
Isn't max output limited by federal regulations? Or maybe just for low-beams.
From the factory, the high-beam laser light output is not changed at all in US spec variants.

The laser headlight is a combined LED laser headlight. Low- and high-beam headlights are generated by LEDs, as with an LED headlight. The laser will only be activated with the auxiliary high beam (high beam booster).

The sole benefits of the laser light technology is an increase in distance the light high-beam is thrown, not an actual increase in light intensity, per se..

What you gain from the laser light booster over the non-laser lights is an 600 m range in light output range; the additional laser high beam illuminates almost twice as far as the high beam from an LED headlight, not brighter high beam to glare other drivers, as some seems to believe.

If the US federal government actually limited the output of laser lights, as some are incorrectly assuming, it would completely render the whole point of the laser light technology moot and would have no practical reasoning for its offering. So this is not the case.

I can deduce from these threads that 99.99999999% of owners only opted for laser lights simple because of its aesthetically pleasing DRL and not for any of its practical benefits, which is factually what you already have, without any further coding. So maybe don't hurt your head trying to figure out the answer to some conspiracy that doesn't actually exist.
Appreciate 5
      01-16-2022, 06:32 AM   #72
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I can deduce from these threads that 99.99999999% of owners only opted for laser lights simple because of its aesthetically pleasing DRL and not for any of its practical benefits, which is factually what you already have, without any further coding. So maybe don't hurt your head trying to figure out the answer to some conspiracy that doesn't actually exist.
I appreciate the explanation and clarification, but I'm not sure the condescending attitude is helpful. There are certainly a number of Federal regulations governing vehicle headlights/lighting, so my question was not "conspiratorial" in nature.

Do some people like the laser lights because they look better? Sure. But do others order them because they read BMW's marketing material and think they could benefit from better lighting? Likely. And are some of us annoyed that we don't get the full array of features because of some antiquated regulations? Indeed.

We're all here to learn and share. Lighten up.
      01-16-2022, 06:35 AM   #73
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
I appreciate the explanation and clarification, but I'm not sure the condescending attitude is helpful. There are certainly a number of Federal regulations governing vehicle headlights/lighting, so my question was not "conspiratorial" in nature. We're all here to learn and share. Lighten up.
Sorry you took it the wrong way but it is what it is, not sure how else to say it..

I wont chime any anymore, l'll let you guys keep spinning the wheel.. Best of luck 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 08:55 AM   #74
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
When I leave home in the morning, it's pitch black for miles, and deer are everywhere.
Yeah, deer are the worst. I remember infrared night vision was a thing about a decade ago, and available on the 7-series at least. Is this not offered anymore?

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...mparison-test/

Quote:
The longer and brighter the light beam, the better. So far I've not noticed much improvement from our X5's LED high beams to the M4's LEDs with laserlights. The M4 may have longer range but doesn't seem any brighter nor have any better spread.
Isn't max output limited by federal regulations? Or maybe just for low-beams.
From the factory, the high-beam laser light output is not changed at all in US spec variants.

The laser headlight is a combined LED laser headlight. Low- and high-beam headlights are generated by LEDs, as with an LED headlight. The laser will only be activated with the auxiliary high beam (high beam booster).

The sole benefits of the laser light technology is an increase in distance the light high-beam is thrown, not an actual increase in light intensity, per se..

What you gain from the laser light booster over the non-laser lights is an 600 m range in light output range; the additional laser high beam illuminates almost twice as far as the high beam from an LED headlight, not brighter high beam to glare other drivers, as some seems to believe.

If the US federal government actually limited the output of laser lights, as some are incorrectly assuming, it would completely render the whole point of the laser light technology moot and would have no practical reasoning for its offering. So this is not the case.

Busted 😂 I'm in the 99%

I'm getting them for the better DRL, better looking turn signal and I get to say I have laser lights.

Similar to heads up display. I never noticed it unless I was actually paying attention to it in my F80.

Can't wait to get my G80 Pure
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      01-16-2022, 11:01 PM   #75
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrobot View Post
My problem with coding is then it has to be re-done with every software update as far as I've been told...
There is a risk.

Options:
  • Disable OTAs and tell dealership to not update
  • Pay to have redone
  • Learn to code yourself
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 11:09 PM   #76
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
I more or less meant, that somewhere in the process, of coding, it either codes or activated 900m range. And no, I don't think anyone needs 900m range.
But..... CAN the 900m distance be coded?????
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13427.50
jamabdi185.50
      01-17-2022, 04:07 AM   #77
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
VLD:

Appreciate 2
Llarry15765.50
MHOW996307.00
      01-17-2022, 08:43 AM   #78
2022M4COMP
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 COMP

Anybody wanna post pics of their laserless lights?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 09:19 AM   #79
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2022M4COMP View Post
There are TONS of pics of them, and direct comparison shots, in the photos and videos section.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 09:41 AM   #80
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2022M4COMP View Post
Post 37 in the same thread.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2022, 02:51 PM   #81
NumberNine
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3C mXdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BardG View Post
I just talked to my dealer, he tells me he can't get Laser Lights on my March build. He said not a single new vehicle coming into the dealer has arrived with Laser Lights, and was not able "force add" to my configuration. I'm in Canada if that matters.
Same, told by dealer and there is a laser headlight deletion on my build sheet. Canada, March build.
Appreciate 1
BardG212.50
      01-18-2022, 07:18 PM   #82
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberNine View Post
Quote:
I just talked to my dealer, he tells me he can't get Laser Lights on my March build. He said not a single new vehicle coming into the dealer has arrived with Laser Lights, and was not able "force add" to my configuration. I'm in Canada if that matters.
Same, told by dealer and there is a laser headlight deletion on my build sheet. Canada, March build.
Seems odd huh? It must be somewhat regional, from what I've read on this forum most are getting them. But, Canada is a smaller market, maybe BMW accommodates it's bigger markets first. Too bad, I'd like them.

Are you going to ask for a discount?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 07:25 PM   #83
NumberNine
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Seems odd huh? It must be somewhat regional, from what I've read on this forum most are getting them. But, Canada is a smaller market, maybe BMW accommodates it's bigger markets first. Too bad, I'd like them.

Yes it's odd, didn't hear this from US buyer, but heard from many GTA dealers,

Dealer showed me a restriction list where I can see laser headlight, carbon bucket seat and some driving assistance stuff which I don't care.

Carbon bucket seat seems to be okay atm.

I don't want to give up the allocation, gonna talk to them tmr.
Appreciate 1
BardG212.50
      01-18-2022, 07:39 PM   #84
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:
There is a risk.

Options:
  • Disable OTAs and tell dealership to not update
  • Pay to have redone
  • Learn to code yourself
Still waiting for my G82, but on my G05 have not needed to recode the lights. So I guess we shall see what happens with the G82 coding.

One of the first OTA updates on my G05 received actually improved the function of the anti-dazzle. I do know some with G05 have reported that they had to recode after updates.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 09:23 AM   #85
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Can someone who provides coding (I'm in PA) please PM me or post here? I'm interested in having this done, but just want to be clear on any risks or potential issues at service. The last OTA update was just a few weeks ago, so hopefully it's a while until the next one.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 08:02 PM   #86
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550xi

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Dealer showed me a restriction list where I can see laser headlight, carbon bucket seat and some driving assistance stuff which I don't care.

Did your dealer mentioned anything about the HK sound system? My dealer mentioned it's been deleted from a number of the new orders. However he's not sure if he's seen it delete it from any M cars yet
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 10:44 PM   #87
NumberNine
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Did your dealer mentioned anything about the HK sound system? My dealer mentioned it's been deleted from a number of the new orders. However he's not sure if he's seen it delete it from any M cars yet
Didn't mention it and it wasn't on the internal restriction list they showed me.

3 items listed: Laser light, Carbon bucket seat, parking assist.

They have confirmed no laser light, looks like carbon bucket seats is accepted.
Appreciate 1
BardG212.50
      01-20-2022, 01:34 AM   #88
speedmaster20d
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 G80 comp BG. 2018 F80(sold)

Quote:
I'm not sure what the headlight restrictions are like in Canada, but, in the US, we get the dumbed down German version of their full adaptive lasers.

This is how they're supposed to work. But in America, anti dazzle decoded and removed. It can be re-enabled. But, if Canada allows the full version, this is what you get that you don't get with the standard headlights. Everything in the video is automatic.
Sh**, we pay for this but can't use the tech....sucks. Anyone know of a hack to unlock the adaptive and beam split features?