BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-09-2022, 12:17 PM   #23
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
The US version of the Laser Lights in dumbed down from the European Spec. Antidazzle is disabled, and the beam doesn't project near as far as those in the EU. I believe the US cars Project 600 meters, and the EU Project 900 meters.

Appreciate 1
      01-09-2022, 12:19 PM   #24
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
The US version of the Laser Lights in dumbed down from the European Spec. Antidazzle is disabled, and the beam doesn't project near as far as those in the EU. I believe the US cars Project 600 meters, and the EU Project 900 meters.
Via software, correct? Or are the lights themselves different?
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13424.50
      01-09-2022, 12:22 PM   #25
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
Quote:
Yes, I believe it's software restricted. I'd cross referenced the part numbers, in the past 6 months, and couldn't find anywhere, where it showed a different part number.

Appreciate 1
      01-09-2022, 12:23 PM   #26
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I believe it's software restricted. I'd cross referenced the part numbers, in the past 6 months, and couldn't find anywhere, where it showed a different part number.
So, does that mean it can be coded out too?

Almaretto Is this part of your coding? Or only the anti-dazzle part?
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 12:25 PM   #27
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So, does that mean it can be coded out too?

Almaretto Is this part of your coding? Or only the anti-dazzle part?
Yes, it's my understanding that when you code antidazzle, you'd also code VLD or variable light distribution, which should also allow the full beam range.

Appreciate 1
      01-09-2022, 01:12 PM   #28
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
I think they are downcoded to like 30% of the brightness they have in Europe? Not sure of the exact number, but it's something like that aside from the anti-dazzle. I haven't seen anyone that has been able to code back the full brightness for some reason.
I thoroughly investigated the BMW Laser light technology and there was nothing to indicate that the light output or overall hardware itself varies by region.

The only difference between the US spec lights and the rest of the world is the US version has mandatory LED amber markers, which is now done in a subtly and tasteful manner, so it's a feature.

It seems BMW more or less designed the overall light technology modular, probably to save cost and efficiency and then just bin each individual features that might not be allowed due to local regulations, like Anti-dazzle via coding. Nevertheless, I believe the light output itself is all the same.

Your overall post is correct, however it's been reported here (I'm not 100% sure this is correct) that the decrease in light output is achieved through software. The lights are the same hardware, as you said.

I'm not sure if part of the anti dazzle coding also removes the light output restriction.
I don't believe so, the light output itself seems to be all the same for the entire free world, even in the US .. There is nothing to support otherwise, other than speculation.

I remember reading that BMW was able to make an endrun around the draconian US lighting laws to allow high-output laser high beams because the logic behind this was it only operated at higher speeds and in limited conditions, with assistence from a camera, so it was specifcally exempt from being typically nutured.

The only difference is the US lights can't operate as indvidual beams (Anti-dazzle), which is only restricted by software.

Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      01-09-2022, 01:21 PM   #29
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
I think they are downcoded to like 30% of the brightness they have in Europe? Not sure of the exact number, but it's something like that aside from the anti-dazzle. I haven't seen anyone that has been able to code back the full brightness for some reason.
I thoroughly investigated the BMW Laser light technology and there was nothing to indicate that the light output or overall hardware itself varies by region.

The only difference between the US spec lights and the rest of the world is the US version has mandatory LED amber markers, which is now done in a subtly and tasteful manner, so it's a feature.

It seems BMW more or less designed the overall light technology modular, probably to save cost and efficiency and then just bin each individual features that might not be allowed due to local regulations, like Anti-dazzle via coding. Nevertheless, I believe the light output itself is all the same.

Your overall post is correct, however it's been reported here (I'm not 100% sure this is correct) that the decrease in light output is achieved through software. The lights are the same hardware, as you said.

I'm not sure if part of the anti dazzle coding also removes the light output restriction.
I don't belive so, the light output itself seems to be all the same for the entire free world, even in the US .. There is nothing to support otherwise, other than speculation.

I remember reading that BMW was able to make an endrun around the draconian US lighting laws to allow high-output laser high beams because the logic behind this was it only operated at higher speeds and limited conditions, with assistence from a camera, so it was specifcally exempt from being typically nutured.

The only difference is the US lights can't in a operate as indvidual beams (Anti-dazzle), which is only restricted by software.

Interesting. Perhaps the lower light output in the US is just a myth that lives on like the break-in service increases HP.

Maybe someone who has done anti-dazzle coding can chime in if there appears to be a brightness configuration setting that is set to a lower value in the US.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 3
Poochie9104.50
siegester344.50
Psychos1s523.50
      01-09-2022, 01:38 PM   #30
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Interesting. Perhaps the lower light output in the US is just a myth that lives on like the break-in service increases HP.

Maybe someone who has done anti-dazzle coding can chime in if there appears to be a brightness configuration setting that is set to a lower value in the US.
I have anti-dazzled my last several cars and there was no change in brightness, certainly not a 70% increase, or relatively to 30%, a 200% increase.
Appreciate 4
      01-09-2022, 03:03 PM   #31
WraithM5
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, F80 M3, G80 M3C Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BardG View Post
What is your view on Laserlights? I've heard on dark rural roads they're great, but otherwise in general urban conditions there isn't a great advantage to having them. On paper they look pretty good. Anyone have real world feedback?
I like the laser lights because when I high beam people going to slow they definitely get the idea.
22 G80 M3 XDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 04:14 PM   #32
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
What is your view on Laserlights? I've heard on dark rural roads they're great, but otherwise in general urban conditions there isn't a great advantage to having them. On paper they look pretty good. Anyone have real world feedback?
Not one mention of the fact that….headlight output aside, the daytime running lights look WAY better with the Laser option. That's reason enough (in my opinion) to get them.
Appreciate 2
chicagofan0019132.50
BardG212.50
      01-09-2022, 04:31 PM   #33
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

The fact is they are the best brights available in the US. Whether they are as good as they could be, they are far superior to LED/HID, et al. I got them in the Executive package and glad I did. Noticeable improvement on unlit country roads.
Appreciate 1
BardG212.50
      01-09-2022, 10:46 PM   #34
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
I thought I saw somewhere on here that EU spec laser lights are soon to come in the USA? I personally love mine (US spec) on my m340. I would order them on any car if available.
The infrastructure bill enables the DOT to allow it. They haven't yet. Hopefully soon.

Biggest question is will BMW enable this feature on existing cars once it's legal via the OTA? I hope so. I got mine coded, but it would be nice to get the latest software updates without having to recode every time.
Yes hopefully soon. Also Audi, Porsche aka VW has amazing headlight technology too
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 02:11 PM   #35
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
Quote:
Not one mention of the fact that….headlight output aside, the daytime running lights look WAY better with the Laser option. That's reason enough (in my opinion) to get them.
Anyone have side by side photos of Laserlights vs standard light for both daytime and nighttime?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 02:51 PM   #36
MTM3
mt4life
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Yes DRL function is sad with non Laser setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 07:50 PM   #37
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Anyone have side by side photos of Laserlights vs standard light for both daytime and nighttime?
Here you go….
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
2011ninja3382.00
mzwerner393.50
      01-10-2022, 08:36 PM   #38
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Here you go….
You only get the 3/4 halos with the Laserlights?!

Clever girl.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 08:18 AM   #39
FISH22
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
2021 BMW M3C  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
I'm another for laser lights even if it's just for the DRLs. Really finishes the look.
Appreciate 3
chicagofan0019132.50
BardG212.50
MTM3641.00
      01-11-2022, 10:49 AM   #40
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage

It's simply a must-have option. Don't need to think further.
      01-11-2022, 04:24 PM   #41
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithM5 View Post
Quote:
I like the laser lights because when I high beam people going to slow they definitely get the idea.
You can't manually activate the laser light high beam "booster" - that is done automatically by the computer's logic, when the proper conditions and speed are met.

What you are seeing when you operate the high-beam stalk is regular LED high-beam output, as you would get with the standard, non-laser G8X headlights.

The laser light technology acts as an ancillary portion of the overall high-beam lighting, not a replacement to conventional LEDs.

Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      01-12-2022, 04:07 PM   #42
filostrato
Private
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Does anyone in the US market have video of anti-dazzle after recoding? I'd love to be able to add this functionality back as the lights were intended to work.

From what I remember some F8x drivers were not able to get it to work correctly even after redoing the code
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 02:02 AM   #43
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by filostrato View Post
Does anyone in the US market have video of anti-dazzle after recoding? I'd love to be able to add this functionality back as the lights were intended to work.

From what I remember some F8x drivers were not able to get it to work correctly even after redoing the code

This dude below had the most accurate representation of Anti-Dazzle I've seen on a US-spec vehicle, in which this feature was recoded.

Notice how the light beam pattern output on the vehicle ahead is eclipsed or "tunnels," so glaring light isn't cast into the upcoming driver's line of sight. Each headlight (left/right) independently moves vertically, horizontally or shutters, allowing the high beam or beamS to stay on even when other cars are present.

This was really impressive, considering that the driver was traveling in a city setting, with tons of congestion, street lights and signs, which in my experience, causes the camera to typically be fooled by the reflectiveness but his seemed to work really well.

View post on imgur.com

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25722934
Appreciate 5
Mac Daddy340.00
jmg18663.00
jamabdi185.50
Limegrntaln13424.50
      01-13-2022, 10:58 AM   #44
filostrato
Private
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
This dude below had the most accurate representation of Anti-Dazzle I've seen on a US-spec vehicle, in which this feature was recoded.

Notice how the light beam pattern output on the vehicle ahead is eclipsed or "tunnels," so glaring light isn't cast into the upcoming driver's line of sight. Each headlight (left/right) independently moves vertically, horizontal, or shutters, allowing the high beam or beamS to stay on even when other cars are present.

This was really impressive, considering that the driver was traveling in a city setting, with tons of congestion, street lights and signs, which in my experience, causes the cameras to typically be fooled by the reflectiveness but his seemed to work really well.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25722934
Thank you for uploading! I agree that this is really impressive in a congested urban setting. e sys rabbit hole here I come...
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50