BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-01-2022, 12:39 AM   #23
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS_BMW View Post
Maybe to many launch controls? Have you tried reseting the trans by pushing gas pedal past kick down then pushing start button, hold gas pedal there for 60 seconds. keep it held down hit start button again. Then start car like normal.

I use to do this in my F80 when the DCT felt sluggish. I do not notice any lag in the G80 though auto though.
I've launched the car maybe 7 times? I'm not sure if the procedure is the same for the ZF8 but I can try
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 08:43 AM   #24
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Every single auto car i ever drove, old and new, even if you cold start the car it moves just fine. And let's say you have to move it really quick like you're blocking someone in, when i do that in the M3 when i want to take my C7Z out because the M3 is parked in front of it, i literally have to sit in the M3 for a couple of minutes before i can throw it into D. Otherwise the car doesn't move. Even with my foot completely off the brake. It won't move for a solid 5-8 seconds.
Sounds like a car that sat outside at -25 to -35 and hasn't been driven in a week. Fluids are not moving. In your case it I bet it is no where near that cold.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 08:57 AM   #25
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by edofloat View Post
Sounds like a car that sat outside at -25 to -35 and hasn't been driven in a week. Fluids are not moving. In your case it I bet it is no where near that cold.
Nah definitely not that cold here lol.

It has been like this since the beginning. Even the day i picked up the car. Which was around 56F IIRC.

But i thought it was such a new car, a BMW at that, so i knew it was loaded with sensors and safety shit etc. So i didn't think much of it.

As the days went on, i started to get annoyed at the little stuff. So i guess this behavior is normal on these cars.

It's currently not a daily driver but it does get driven every couple of days. But the same is the case with almost every car i've owned and they never acted the way this car does.

Still love this car though. And that's another reason why i leased it. So i can get another one later one with all the revisions. Or as much revisions so that it's better.
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2022, 09:13 AM   #26
KiloCo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota// 22 G82 M4 Comp

Quote:
I'm curious to what they say about the trans.

I don't have any shifting issues although the trans does act funny when it's cold. And also when letting your foot off the brake so the car can start to roll. There's like a delay. Almost as if it's low on fluid.

I wonder if the dealer checks that during the break in service? I'll ask them too since mine is coming up soon.

This is my first BMW G82/M4. I have the same delay issue while sitting at the traffic light. Vehicle is not a daily driven/once or twice a week. Initially, thought it was the sensors that's always beeping when I back into the garage.
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2022, 09:16 AM   #27
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:
Nah definitely not that cold here lol.

It has been like this since the beginning. Even the day i picked up the car. Which was around 56F IIRC.

But i thought it was such a new car, a BMW at that, so i knew it was loaded with sensors and safety shit etc. So i didn't think much of it.

As the days went on, i started to get annoyed at the little stuff. So i guess this behavior is normal on these cars.

It's currently not a daily driver but it does get driven every couple of days. But the same is the case with almost every car i've owned and they never acted the way this car does.

Still love this car though. And that's another reason why i leased it. So i can get another one later one with all the revisions. Or as much revisions so that it's better.
When it is stupid cold here I shift trans into N, set the parking brake and let it run at least 3-4 minutes. Seems to help bunches. Wondering if it makes any difference if you shift into N, should get fluids moving and warmed up.
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2022, 09:31 AM   #28
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloCo View Post
This is my first BMW G82/M4. I have the same delay issue while sitting at the traffic light. Vehicle is not a daily driven/once or twice a week. Initially, thought it was the sensors that's always beeping when I back into the garage.
It's annoying in traffic. Almost as annoying as driving a manual in stop and go which i have done in the past for many many years. I thought i was over that shit lol. It's now the same thing, but with an auto. Similar annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by edofloat View Post
When it is stupid cold here I shift trans into N, set the parking brake and let it run at least 3-4 minutes. Seems to help bunches. Wondering if it makes any difference if you shift into N, should get fluids moving and warmed up.

That's honestly how i have to exit my driveway. It's a tight driveway of about 100 inches so i have to put the trans in N, so i can roll out without all the sensors beeping at me, the front collision slamming the brakes on me etc. It's really really annoying.

Only way to get the fluid moving is to put it in D though. Or safely switching from D to R a couple of times before you set off (in really cold weather).
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 12:06 PM   #29
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Huh. I've not experienced any hesitancy in getting underway in cold-start conditions, but give me another month or so. At home our M4 is parked in a heated garage, driven 5 miles and parked outside for an hour (daily morning walk in local park). It goes as it should, in both cases. We've not had cold conditions yet; winter's still young. There'll be days ahead when it'll be parked outside and started below 0°F.

FWIW, I always use Auto Hold, so the parking brake offers some resistance to overcome. With practice I've learned to listen to the drop in exhaust note to sense when that threshold is crossed, so I move underway smoothly, like buttah.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 01:22 PM   #30
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
Huh. I've not experienced any hesitancy in getting underway in cold-start conditions, but give me another month or so. At home our M4 is parked in a heated garage, driven 5 miles and parked outside for an hour (daily morning walk in local park). It goes as it should, in both cases. We've not had cold conditions yet; winter's still young. There'll be days ahead when it'll be parked outside and started below 0°F.

FWIW, I always use Auto Hold, so the parking brake offers some resistance to overcome. With practice I've learned to listen to the drop in exhaust note to sense when that threshold is crossed, so I move underway smoothly, like buttah.
Mine hesitates to shift when it's warm and oil is up to temp so it doesn't matter what I do. I think it needs an update or something because it will continue to rev upwards before shifting everytime I hit a paddle or use the lever instead of just doing it
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 01:38 PM   #31
Cinco
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM G80 M3Cx

is it weird that I've had none of these issues and the transmission shifts seem just as fast as the DCT in my RS3?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 01:59 PM   #32
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinco View Post
is it weird that I've had none of these issues and the transmission shifts seem just as fast as the DCT in my RS3?
Yes, I think mine just has issues it's very noticeable but nothing shifts like a DCT unless it's a DCT
Appreciate 2
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
Cinco156.00
      01-01-2022, 03:11 PM   #33
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

Shifting is outstanding in my M4C--whether manual or in D. I drive in D3 virtually all of the time, but even in D1, the shifts are crisp and immediate. In D3, they are only slightly less immediate than a top DC and much smoother when it isn't floored. By far the best auto I've ever driven.
Appreciate 2
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      01-01-2022, 04:15 PM   #34
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteflier View Post
Shifting is outstanding in my M4C--whether manual or in D. I drive in D3 virtually all of the time, but even in D1, the shifts are crisp and immediate. In D3, they are only slightly less immediate than a top DC and much smoother when it isn't floored. By far the best auto I've ever driven.
I agree. I've driven DCT cars like the C8 and GTR etc but the ZF 8 speed (although different tunes depending on vehicle) is the BEST AUTO ever put in a factory car.

The trans does what i want it to do. Just small annoyances when cold and/or slow moving.
Appreciate 2
Patton2502939.50
      01-01-2022, 07:16 PM   #35
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I agree. I've driven DCT cars like the C8 and GTR etc but the ZF 8 speed (although different tunes depending on vehicle) is the BEST AUTO ever put in a factory car.

The trans does what i want it to do. Just small annoyances when cold and/or slow moving.
Maybe yours doesn't have the delay mine does while shifting. In auto mode you don't notice but in sequentially mode (S3) or using the paddles it's very apparent
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 07:45 PM   #36
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Maybe yours doesn't have the delay mine does while shifting. In auto mode you don't notice but in sequentially mode (S3) or using the paddles it's very apparent
I use the paddles 90% of the time when i have my settings in m2 (which is pretty much my "go time" mode).

It shifts very very fast. Almost DCT like, at least on the upshifts. The response time from the paddle to what the trans does is very very fast.

I don't remember much of how it reacts in auto mode (D3). I'm going for a long drive tomorrow so i'll check it out tomorrow.
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2022, 08:31 PM   #37
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I use the paddles 90% of the time when i have my settings in m2 (which is pretty much my "go time" mode).

It shifts very very fast. Almost DCT like, at least on the upshifts. The response time from the paddle to what the trans does is very very fast.

I don't remember much of how it reacts in auto mode (D3). I'm going for a long drive tomorrow so i'll check it out tomorrow.
Mine has a delay where the revs climb then it shifts after hitting the paddle that's what I'd check for.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 09:17 PM   #38
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Really you should find a way to drive another g8x auto to compare. Then you'll know if it's the platform or your vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 09:33 PM   #39
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Really you should find a way to drive another g8x auto to compare. Then you'll know if it's the platform or your vehicle.
Regardless if it's the platform or not, a M Performance model shouldn't shift faster. I've driven an M340i X Drive before and it behaved like the X3 M40i. The M5 Comp also shifts faster with the ZF8 as well so I feel like they're sandbagging the G8X or mines just unlucky.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 12:53 AM   #40
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Regardless if it's the platform or not, a M Performance model shouldn't shift faster. I've driven an M340i X Drive before and it behaved like the X3 M40i. The M5 Comp also shifts faster with the ZF8 as well so I feel like they're sandbagging the G8X or mines just unlucky.
In M5C, in 1st and 2nd gear, I need to pull the paddle at the first yellow light sign in the dash, otherwise it runs in the limiter by the time the upshift is performed, if I wait the upshift for more yellows or reds.
So there's a delay I would say
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2022, 05:33 AM   #41
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Mine has a delay where the revs climb then it shifts after hitting the paddle that's what I'd check for.
Wait, do you mean only at WOT?

I'm still in break in so i can't test this at WOT. I've been shifting with the paddles anywhere from 3k-5k rpm currently.

So let's say i'm in 2nd gear and i'm accelerating and the RPM's hit 4500, i hit the paddle, if the revs climb first THEN shift, that's the delay you're talking about?

I'm taking the car out around noon today so hopefully you'll see this message before then.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 05:35 AM   #42
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Did you reset the transmission adaptation?

AndroidRobot
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2022, 05:46 AM   #43
Custom Install
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual

Garage List
2022 G82 XC   [10.00]
I found that the F82 was useless if you went on the gas quick at lights as the auto hold function would suddenly let go and the power just surged and lit the tyres up. My workaround if I wanted a quick getaway, I would take my foot off the brake prior to green light and hold the car with the handbrake, this way when i applied the throttle the auto hold had disengaged already and it was a much more linear transition. I guess that's not possible in the Gxx no handbrake? (still don't have my car yet)
G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual FDG
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2022, 09:28 AM   #44
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Did you reset the transmission adaptation?

AndroidRobot
I did but I'm not sure if it worked, no difference so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Install View Post
I found that the F82 was useless if you went on the gas quick at lights as the auto hold function would suddenly let go and the power just surged and lit the tyres up. My workaround if I wanted a quick getaway, I would take my foot off the brake prior to green light and hold the car with the handbrake, this way when i applied the throttle the auto hold had disengaged already and it was a much more linear transition. I guess that's not possible in the Gxx no handbrake? (still don't have my car yet)
I have AWD so that's not the issue it puts power down fine. The shifts are the problem with slight hesitation that you can notice.
Appreciate 0