BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

12-29-2021, 12:31 AM   #89
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
I noticed my build has

"6UX iDrive Controller Classic N/C"

"ZAX Apple CarPlay and Android Auto Compatibility"

Does this mean I don't have CarPlay? Or no touch? Or both?
      12-29-2021, 02:41 AM   #90
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
I noticed my build has

It appears that you have CarPlay, but you lost the touch pad on the top of the iDrive wheel, getting the "classic" iDrive controller instead. I have a February build slot for my G83 and my SA let me know that the touchpad iDrive wheel is being substituted with a non-touchpad wheel. She is not tracking any loss of Apple or Android, or a touch screen.

She also not that gesture control was not available in the G83, but I thought that was always the case, given the soft top.

The touchpad wheel loss is not a deal breaker for me, but I am starting to become leery of other potential cuts.

My wife's 2020 X5 is loaded out and if I had to replace it today, the amount of de-contenting in the G05 series would have me shopping elsewhere.
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 1
BIGW0RM3156.00
      12-29-2021, 03:31 AM   #91
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
BMW should offer a free retrofit within the warranty period.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 06:21 AM   #92
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

I've had a lot of different versions of iDrive (as have many of the folk here). iDrive 7 is less intuitive with the iDrive controller than previous versions were, so it's not great that the touchscreen is missing for some folk. But it does still work. I wonder how much less useful the controller will be in 8.

That being said, I also still don't like poking the touchscreen while moving. Voice commands and the controller cover the bases quite well while driving. We don't actually use CarPlay in either of our cars.

Such as:

We're headed out to coffee and want the RTTI to tell us if we should go a different route. "Hey BMW, Go to Peet's". I don't know anyone named Pete in my contacts, so the navigation DOES give me the option of the various Peet's Coffees and tosses me 3 choices. If you know a Pete, you might have to use more words with it. I yell "1" at it and we're off for a latte and a cookie.

On the way the album we were listening to off of my USB stick that plays Bri1042 Radio finishes. "Hey BMW, play American Idiot" and Green Day starts yelling at me.

There are times that the voice control gets confused, but it's a ton better than it used to be. When I first got the car it was getting confused a LOT. After experimenting, we figured out that if you have your phone connected for CarPlay and Apps and DON'T use it, the magic lady in the dashboard has trouble searching the USB stick and her own maps. Switch the phone to just Bluetooth and all is well with the lady in my dashboard.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 09:04 AM   #93
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by osteome View Post
It appears that you have CarPlay, but you lost the touch pad on the top of the iDrive wheel, getting the "classic" iDrive controller instead. I have a February build slot for my G83 and my SA let me know that the touchpad iDrive wheel is being substituted with a non-touchpad wheel. She is not tracking any loss of Apple or Android, or a touch screen.

She also not that gesture control was not available in the G83, but I thought that was always the case, given the soft top.

The touchpad wheel loss is not a deal breaker for me, but I am starting to become leery of other potential cuts.

My wife's 2020 X5 is loaded out and if I had to replace it today, the amount of de-contenting in the G05 series would have me shopping elsewhere.
Omg this blows. I want it ALL!

I might cancel my order and just wait until LCI now. This is my first custom order and Im not settling.
      12-29-2021, 09:35 AM   #94
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Omg this blows. I want it ALL!

I might cancel my order and just wait until LCI now. This is my first custom order and Im not settling.
Yeah this is frustrating. I can live without the touch on the iDrive controller, but I think the touchscreen (especially on iDrive 7) is extremely important.

Hope for the best I guess. I wonder if one hit 150 status prior to this notice that they wouldn't be affected, since doesn't 150 indicate that they have everything they need for your build?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 12:23 PM   #95
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Again, I think all of us worried about our orders (or future orders) are okay with no CarPlay, no touchscreen, etc, etc, etc…..IF, they can and will be retrofitted at a later date. Does anyone have knowledge of whether CarPlay and the touchscreen will be retrofitted at a later date when the parts become more readily available? I mean, that's the fair way to handle this if you're BMW Corporate.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2021, 12:28 PM   #96
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
Again, I think all of us worried about our orders (or future orders) are okay with no CarPlay, no touchscreen, etc, etc, etc…..IF, they can and will be retrofitted at a later date. Does anyone have knowledge of whether CarPlay and the touchscreen will be retrofitted at a later date when the parts become more readily available? I mean, that's the fair way to handle this if you're BMW Corporate.
I would imagine retrofitting touchscreen would be hard, or at least expensive. The screen would need to be replaced.

Hopefully CarPlay would be easier. I would think they could fairly easily enable wired CarPlay. That would be great for everyone as wireless CarPlay drops sometimes.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 12:34 PM   #97
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
Does anyone have knowledge of whether CarPlay and the touchscreen will be retrofitted at a later date when the parts become more readily available? I mean, that's the fair way to handle this if you're BMW Corporate.
There hasnt been any official announcement from BMW on retrofitting modules.

On the other side, Porsche has made a public statement that they will be retrofitting some of the missing modules for free of cost once parts are readily available. BMW should consider this at least for their performance and top end vehicles.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2021, 02:37 PM   #98
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep

The current X5s that "lost" the touchscreen received a $500 credit, so I I would assume that the discount shuts the door on any retrofit.

I can live without the touch component on the iDrive wheel, but probably have little patience to accept any other reduction.

The 2022 X5 has become a stripper of luxury SUV at this point that I would probably not shop it now, compared to what was available and what we spec'ed in 2020.

Heck you can't even get the HK sound system in an non-M X5 at this point.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 02:41 PM   #99
ChargerHellcat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp Xdrive FDG

Quote:
I noticed my build has

Where do you see these codes. On your bmw garage?
2012 - Charger SRT 392 - Sold
2009 - Charger SRT 6.1 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 03:02 PM   #100
Picturesque
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Below is what my sales rep advised over here in the UK, away on holiday but will keep me posted in the NY.

I have read that your model may be affected by a short term restriction of Apple CP/Android Auto.

But the cars affected are going to have CarPlay/Android Auto downloaded to them by June 2022. It is not removed entirely, there is a fix for this coming this year so if you take delivery in March, you should have it rectified by a software download between April and June 2022.

Cut and paste from BMW bulletin below. And thats if your car is affected, which I will confirm in due course.

I will check if your car has option code 6P1 applied once I return.

During the affected period, the following functions will not be available:
•Ability to pair 2 smartphones
•Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto,
•RSU updates (via phone).
•WiFiHotspot (where option 6NW/6WD specified)

Option code 6P1 (Wi-Fi functions, temporary deletion & preparation for Remote Software Upgrade) will default onto any affected /new order.

Affected functions will be reinstated via an Remote Software Update (RSU) during Q2 2022 (TBC).
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 03:16 PM   #101
2022M4COMP
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picturesque View Post
Below is what my sales rep advised over here in the UK, away on holiday but will keep me posted in the NY.

I have read that your model may be affected by a short term restriction of Apple CP/Android Auto.

But the cars affected are going to have CarPlay/Android Auto downloaded to them by June 2022. It is not removed entirely, there is a fix for this coming this year so if you take delivery in March, you should have it rectified by a software download between April and June 2022.

Cut and paste from BMW bulletin below. And thats if your car is affected, which I will confirm in due course.

Option code 6P1 (Wi-Fi functions, temporary deletion & preparation for Remote Software Upgrade) will default onto any affected /new order.

Affected functions will be reinstated via an Remote Software Update (RSU) during Q2 2022 (TBC).
If it was just software it wouldn't be an issue this is not something that can be done OTA the issue here is the chip shortage and now ya they are retrofitting it
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 03:27 PM   #102
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2022M4COMP View Post
Quote:

If it was just software it wouldn't be an issue this is not something that can be done OTA the issue here is the chip shortage and now ya they are retrofitting it
My guess is they switched vendors. Software to use new hardware isn't ready yet. This is just a guess
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 2
      12-29-2021, 03:29 PM   #103
UnknownBeing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i (22 M340i in-transit)

Quote:
It appears they switched the WiFi/Bluetooth chip, and the updated firmware isn't ready for full functionality yet. Software should be able to fix this
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2021, 04:22 PM   #104
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 IOMG M3 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownBeing View Post
Quote:
It appears they switched the WiFi/Bluetooth chip, and the updated firmware isn't ready for full functionality yet. Software should be able to fix this
I can live without it temporarily. So long as I get it back
Appreciate 2
      12-30-2021, 09:47 AM   #105
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerHellcat View Post
Where do you see these codes. On your bmw garage?
My build sheet. Ask your SA for a copy of your build sheet. It shows much more than the website.

ALSO!!!!

My SA says all his orders show classsic idrive controller and are still touch?

He also checked my build order on his computer and said unless it says

"deletion of touch screen" that I WILL have touch screen.

Mine did NOT specifically say that.

So according to him. My idrive controller IS touch. Even though it says classic idrive controller. AND I will have touch screen.
      12-30-2021, 09:59 AM   #106
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
Quote:
Quote:

My guess is they switched vendors. Software to use new hardware isn't ready yet. This is just a guess
To further this point. Here's a sentence from an article regarding Tesla:

Faced with shortages earlier this year, for example, Tesla was able to quickly rewrite the software necessary to integrate alternative chips into its vehicles, the company's chief executive officer, [Tesla CEO Elon Musk], has said.

Tesla was built as a tech company first, car company second. BMW is a car company. This is another example on the move to electric vehicles and more tech heavy cars will favor Tesla and other tech companies. Traditional auto makers need more than big R&D budgets, they need a major restructuring to compete in the future.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 07:44 PM   #107
ChargerHellcat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp Xdrive FDG

Quote:
I noticed my build has

Mines says 6UB - Gesture control
ZAX - for Apple car play…

So apple car play I should be safe right? I don't really care about the gesture control as long as the touch screen is available.
2012 - Charger SRT 392 - Sold
2009 - Charger SRT 6.1 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 06:37 AM   #108
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

ALSO!!!!

My SA says all his orders show classsic idrive controller and are still touch?

So according to him. My idrive controller IS touch. Even though it says classic idrive controller. AND I will have touch screen.
I hope that your SA is correct. My purchase is a military sales purchase in Germany and the local dealer is essentially a broker between BMW AG and myself, so her information should be coming out of Munich. I guess that I will find out more in the New Year. She is not tracking a loss of the touch screen at this time.

We rarely use the the touch iDrive wheel in our X5, so I don't think that I will miss it, to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 06:53 AM   #109
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 IOMG M3 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerHellcat View Post
Quote:
I noticed my build has

Mines says 6UB - Gesture control
ZAX - for Apple car play…

So apple car play I should be safe right? I don't really care about the gesture control as long as the touch screen is available.
Did you start production yet? It may change once you start prod
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 07:17 AM   #110
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 MT

Add more oil to the fire

https://www.dailywire.com/news/china...-chip-shortage

Kevin Harvick
Appreciate 0