BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

12-27-2021, 10:21 AM   #67
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
are touchscreens still not available? i can't imagine using carplay without a touchscreen
IDrive 4 EVO and iDrive 5 had a CarPlay option, without touchscreen and consumers got by just fine.

It might sound like a step backwards for some folks that adorn touchscreens but it's not the end of the world; CarPlay still functions with just the iDrive controller knob.
Appreciate 2
jmg18657.00
      12-27-2021, 10:29 AM   #68
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
are touchscreens still not available? i can't imagine using carplay without a touchscreen
IDrive 4 EVO and iDrive 5 had a CarPlay option, without touchscreen and consumers got by just fine.

It might sound like a step backward for some folks that adorn touchscreens but it's not the end of the world; CarPlay still functions with just the iDrive controller knob.
Yeah, my wife's Q7 has CarPlay without a touchscreen. It works fine
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
jmg18657.00
      12-27-2021, 10:30 AM   #69
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moproblems View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
Any idea how hard it would be to enable wired CarPlay? Could that be just software, and perhaps what they will enable later instead of wireless CarPlay?
That is 100% what they will do, but ID7 does not have native wired AA.
I hope so. My wireless CarPlay drops sometimes, I'd love a wired option.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 10:31 AM   #70
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:

It might sound like a step backward for some folks that adorn touchscreens but it's not the end of the world; CarPlay still functions with just the iDrive controller knob.
Maybe we should go back to xenon headlights and the business cd and the navigation where you scroll the knob letter by letter. Maybe BMW will increase the price by 10% this year too. It's wouldn't be the end of the world, just a hilarious rip off for a sports car in 2022.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 10:42 AM   #71
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Quote:

Maybe we should go back to xenon headlights and the business cd and the navigation where you scroll the knob letter by letter. Maybe BMW will increase the price by 10% this year too. It's wouldn't be the end of the world, just a hilarious rip off for a sports car in 2022.
Hey, it is what it is.. 🤷🏻

A lot of stuff that's happening now I really don't appreciate and is setting me back personally, way beyond the realm of a missing CarPlay feature but the fact of the matter is it's going to be some time before their vendors ramp up production and their parts supply is in the green again..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 06:53 PM   #72
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I have a build date of 12/2 of an incoming car, but I haven't been informed of anything like this. My build sheet says "ZAX Apple CarPlay and Android Auto Compatibility".

Frankly, I think the touch screen is useless, too distracting and difficult to use while driving. I much prefer the iDrive controller. Carplay is a convenience, but not a deal breaker, but I do like it.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 07:12 PM   #73
BigMo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BG on KO G80 Base

Wife just got a brand new X7 with wireless CarPlay and no touchscreen. Takes a little getting used and a little annoying at first but really not a huge deal.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 09:48 PM   #74
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I have a build date of 12/2 of an incoming car, but I haven't been informed of anything like this. My build sheet says "ZAX Apple CarPlay and Android Auto Compatibility".

Frankly, I think the touch screen is useless, too distracting and difficult to use while driving. I much prefer the iDrive controller. Carplay is a convenience, but not a deal breaker, but I do like it.
Have you used the touch screen? I think it's faster, safer and more efficient to use while driving than the idrive controller because you can go right to what you want with your finger rather than having to scroll around the screen with the wheel. I feel like it would be hard to go back now that I'm used to having it.
Appreciate 2
Draper3459.50
      12-27-2021, 10:00 PM   #75
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Quote:

Have you used the touch screen? I think it's faster, safer and more efficient to use while driving than the idrive controller because you can go right to what you want with your finger rather than having to scroll around the screen with the wheel. I feel like it would be hard to go back now that I'm used to having it.
Yes, I've had 7 BMW's with the modern iDrive and my last 2 or 3 have had the touch screen. There is no feedback. Nor any stability on less than ideal roads, so I find trying to hit a specific button takes my eyes off the road for much too long trying to hit the right button. With the controller I can just scroll and glance quickly where the selector is and know exactly how many "clicks" I am away from what I want. Maybe I'm old school, I don't like a touch screen without a well designed physical UI. Frankly, some car manufacturers are either too lazy or too inept at UI design to come up with anything that's as good as iDrive. I like that we have both, for the people who like physical buttons like me, and the ones that don't mind finger smudges all over their screens!

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 2
kjx3189.50
BardG211.50
      12-27-2021, 10:26 PM   #76
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, I've had 7 BMW's with the modern iDrive and my last 2 or 3 have had the touch screen. There is no feedback. Nor any stability on less than ideal roads, so I find trying to hit a specific button takes my eyes off the road for much too long trying to hit the right button. With the controller I can just scroll and glance quickly where the selector is and know exactly how many "clicks" I am away from what I want. Maybe I'm old school, I don't like a touch screen without a well designed physical UI. Frankly, some car manufacturers are either too lazy or too inept at UI design to come up with anything that's as good as iDrive. I like that we have both, for the people who like physical buttons like me, and the ones that don't mind finger smudges all over their screens!
Completely agree. I feel unsafe using Apple CarPlay using the touchscreen driving at speed. Which makes me hate iDrive 8 even more because there are fewer tactile buttons to press to control the air conditioning.

People are going to realize the losing buttons is not 'cool' or 'futuristic' but a sign of abject cheapness on the part of the manufacturer, and hopefully consumer sentiment at large will reflect that reality.
jmg18657.00
akkando5863.00
      12-27-2021, 10:30 PM   #77
MTM3
mt4life
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Agree. I have already turned off car play after a couple of weeks using it. Idrive knob works better for me and I like cohesive BMW ui instead of looking at basically half ass iPhone screen. Plus I can’t stand smudges so no big loss if I didn’t have CarPlay or touchscreen
Appreciate 1
kjx3189.50
      12-27-2021, 11:10 PM   #78
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Completely agree. I feel unsafe using Apple CarPlay using the touchscreen driving at speed. Which makes me hate iDrive 8 even more because there are fewer tactile buttons to press to control the air conditioning.

People are going to realize the losing buttons is not 'cool' or 'futuristic' but a sign of abject cheapness on the part of the manufacturer, and hopefully consumer sentiment at large will reflect that reality.
I agree. iDrive 8 with that new mongo screen and zero buttons seems like an absolutely horrible idea. Unfortunately the only people that seem to think that are those of us that are buying the cars. The designers apparently think it's wonderful.
Appreciate 2
kjx3189.50
jmg18657.00
      12-28-2021, 07:40 AM   #79
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
As long as most part of the consumers think latest is always the greatest, OEMs are going to shove these onto their products. Going through several threads, even majority within the forum prefers iDrive 8 over iDrive 7 given a choice.

I think they can do whatever they want onto their EVs and hybrids. But my issue is trickling down these things onto their mainstream and even their performance vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 09:02 AM   #80
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550xi

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I too have found I rarely use the touch screen when moving. I use it when stationary to enter addresses (if I haven't sent the destination to the car in advance) or maybe a search. (Of course the UI offers more functionality when not moving) I have to admit I'm one of those who don't like the smudges on the screen. As I follow this issue, loosing touch screen functionality isn't concerning me too much. The thought of loosing CarPlay is much more concerning.
Appreciate 1
jmg18657.00
      12-28-2021, 11:01 AM   #81
ChargerHellcat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp Xdrive FDG

All this talk of losing this features. Are both the touchscreen and CarPlay confirm gone for all 2022 builds?
2012 - Charger SRT 392 - Sold
2009 - Charger SRT 6.1 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 11:14 AM   #82
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 IOMG M3 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerHellcat View Post
All this talk of losing this features. Are both the touchscreen and CarPlay confirm gone for all 2022 builds?
Nothing is confirmed yet. All speculation based off a email
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2021, 11:54 AM   #83
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
Even based on the email, 6UX doesnt affect G8x platforms. Also 6P1 is not a part of a typical G8x build for CarPlay and Android Auto as reported by several people in this thread.

It has become a norm to overreact with limited information. We saw a thread for 2022 US price increase assuming its going to happen for US customers based on Canadian update.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 03:18 PM   #84
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

I find using the touchscreen dangerous at speed, especially trying to scroll. Wheel is safer. Trying to use the personal assistant as much as possible. Still only at 300 miles so have not figured out all the features yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 07:27 PM   #85
ChargerHellcat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp Xdrive FDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
Quote:
Even based on the email, 6UX doesnt affect G8x platforms. Also 6P1 is not a part of a typical G8x build for CarPlay and Android Auto as reported by several people in this thread.

It has become a norm to overreact with limited information. We saw a thread for 2022 US price increase assuming its going to happen for US customers based on Canadian update.
Agreed. It's like a freaking drama show. Making me nervous as I approach my build week. 5 more weeks and hopefully I'll be in the clear. Hopefully none of these things happened. I don't really care what others think as to what they can live without. I agreed to pay for something and I want it. For 96k not to have touch screen and Apple car play is iffy for me. Apple car play and touch screen, A freaking 2017 car that cost 25k has it. At least make it so it can be retrofitted free of charge down the road.
2012 - Charger SRT 392 - Sold
2009 - Charger SRT 6.1 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 07:40 PM   #86
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Agree with this. My F80 was a non touch screen and I loathed car play due to the nuisance of trying to use the iDrive controller. Found myself looking at the screen too much. My G30 is a touch screen and I love it, even for the iDrive features I used to only use with the controller.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 11:17 PM   #87
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRacer523 View Post
I find using the touchscreen dangerous at speed, especially trying to scroll. Wheel is safer. Trying to use the personal assistant as much as possible. Still only at 300 miles so have not figured out all the features yet.
I agree with the scrolling while driving and find it to be kind of challenging even when stopped trying to scroll through lists on Spotify or addresses in Waze.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2021, 12:14 AM   #88
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDR1V View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Agree with this. My F80 was a non touch screen and I loathed car play due to the nuisance of trying to use the iDrive controller. Found myself looking at the screen too much. My G30 is a touch screen and I love it, even for the iDrive features I used to only use with the controller.
Apple CarPlay? It's pretty easy with the iDrive. Your last 3 apps are always all the way to the left, so I would just spin the wheel all the way to the left then up or down one or two. It's always either Waze or Spotify for me since those are the apps I use most.

Appreciate 1
BardG211.50