BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

12-22-2021, 07:21 PM   #45
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I'm not making excuses for BMW lack of ability to foresee and properly plan for this impeding issue, especially on a vehicle of this MSRP but some human had sex with a bat, triggering Covid, causing this chain reaction of unavoidable events, so here we are now..

However, I don't believe it should be a deal breaker on a vehicle model where its tag line was once "Not all racecars should be confined to the racetrack."
But I'm guessing 90% of buyers don't buy them with a race track in mind. Times are different with cars these days.
Appreciate 2
W288SH159.00
      12-22-2021, 08:18 PM   #46
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Bye bye Apple CarPlay and Android Auto due to chip shortage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Quote:
I'm not making excuses for BMW lack of ability to foresee and properly plan for this impeding issue, especially on a vehicle of this MSRP but some human had sex with a bat, triggering Covid, causing this chain reaction of unavoidable events, so here we are now..

However, I don't believe it should be a deal breaker on a vehicle model where its tag line was once "Not all racecars should be confined to the racetrack."
But I'm guessing 90% of buyers don't buy them with a race track in mind. Times are different with cars these days.

I figure that, hence the original sarcasm..

It's funny that works; when I suggest I would get the moonroof because this is a daily driver, not some racecar.. I get pushback like; "Bro, this a racecar, carbon fiber roof only!"

But when BMW omits CarPlay, you hear folks crying about; "This is my daily driver that I go pick up toilet paper and bread with, not some racecar; how dare they take away my creature comforts 😢"
Appreciate 5
Gfit2714.50
NYBulldog1310.00
Scorp!on1511.50
iviegatron2542.00
      12-22-2021, 11:52 PM   #47
Osage
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermann88 View Post
I just got off the phone with Bmw genius my build date got moved up to week 1 from week 3 😁! I thought the factory was shut down for the holidays so I'm not sure how it got bumped up but I'll take it ha! I asked about wireless CarPlay since I have a vin number she said if it shows on your build sheet that it is CarPlay/android auto compatible that it is going to have it and they will not remove it!
Solid! I am in the clear then…thanks for providing that info!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 04:43 AM   #48
meechy6ix0
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 MT

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's funny that works; when I suggest I would get the moonroof because this is a daily driver, not some racecar.. I get pushback like; "Bro, this a racecar, carbon fiber roof only!"

But when BMW omits CarPlay, you hear folks crying about; "This is my daily driver that I go pick up toilet paper and bread with, not some racecar; how dare they take away my creature comforts 😢"
Not the same folks. Hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 09:28 AM   #49
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by meechy6ix0 View Post
Not the same folks. Hopefully.
Likely is the same folk. :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 10:47 AM   #50
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Turning down a pinnacle M car because it doesn't include CarPlay… 🤔

Good thing no one buys these cars for its performance aptitude or else statement like those might sound a tad bit absurd.. 😏
You're making sense but I wouldn't personally want to buy a new m3 without getting everything I want because it's likely the last new ICE car I would buy. I would want to go all out, get custom paint, the bucket seats, extended leather, full ppf the with the intention to keep it until it can't be driven. If I'm spending more than 80k on a custom ordered keeper that's the last new car I'll ever give a shit about, I want it to come with carplay. I won't get another shot at it because I probably won't be interested anything after the g80 and g87. I know if I bought 997 gt3 it wouldn't come with carplay obviously but it's also not supposed to be a Swiss army knife daily driver like the m3.

Also I'm perfectly happy with the two cars I have now, no reason to sell them for something new I'm not happy with.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
Scorp!on1511.50
      12-23-2021, 11:07 AM   #51
MMM.PWR
Sith Lord
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80X, Mazda 3 6MT (daily)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermann88 View Post
I just got off the phone with Bmw genius my build date got moved up to week 1 from week 3 😁! I thought the factory was shut down for the holidays so I'm not sure how it got bumped up but I'll take it ha! I asked about wireless CarPlay since I have a vin number she said if it shows on your build sheet that it is CarPlay/android auto compatible that it is going to have it and they will not remove it!
Where can I check the build sheet? I have my vin, but none of the decoder websites are working for me.
Appreciate 1
aimetti163.50
      12-23-2021, 11:31 AM   #52
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:

Good thing no one buys these cars for its performance aptitude or else statement like those might sound a tad bit absurd.. 😏
You're making sense but I wouldn't personally want to buy a new m3 without getting everything I want because it's likely the last new ICE car I would buy. I would want to go all out, get custom paint, the bucket seats, extended leather, full ppf the with the intention to keep it until it can't be driven. If I'm spending more than 80k on a custom ordered keeper that's the last new car I'll ever give a shit about, I want it to come with carplay. I won't get another shot at it because I probably won't be interested anything after the g80 and g87. I know if I bought 997 gt3 it wouldn't come with carplay obviously but it's also not supposed to be a Swiss army knife daily driver like the m3.

Also I'm perfectly happy with the two cars I have now, no reason to sell them for something new I'm not happy with.
We are in agreement, 80k is a lot for a car, so like Burger King, you should have it your way..

Just busting some balls here.. 😉

You have an E92 M3 also, right? Sweet right, one of all time faves.. 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 02:32 PM   #53
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:

We are in agreement, 80k is a lot for a car and like Burger King, you should have it your way..

Just busting some balls here.. 😉

You have an E92 M3 also, right? Sweet right, one of all time faves.. 👍🏻
E90 m3. Got the sedan because had to justify two cars somehow. They don't make them like that anymore. I'm endlessly entertained with the sounds that car makes. Love downshiftung and seeing people turn around looking for a Ferrari as my sedan rolls by. Upgraded exhaust, intake, and.... Added after market carplay to it lol. Engine gets better the harder you push it, unlike the current turbo cars. It begs you to keep adding more rpm.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      12-23-2021, 09:26 PM   #54
KiloCo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota// 22 G82 M4 Comp

Quote:

My 22 G82 M4 Comp with Carbon roof is not for the Track. It's for the weekends to drive around in Southern California. (Unable to drive around this weekend it's raining.)
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 09:50 PM   #55
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:

I say it needs the CF roof just because of the coolness factor. I'm not going to notice the technically lower center of gravity.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      12-23-2021, 10:43 PM   #56
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I say it needs the CF roof just because of the coolness factor. I'm not going to notice the technically lower center of gravity.

I agree, the carbon roof does look hella cool and it's awesome that you're honest and at peace with your decision, thus, my previous comment doesn't apply to you.

It was more so to highlight the hypocrisy of some folks perception of the vehicle's model purpose, which is constantly changing on a sliding-scale to support their argument.

Regardless, let's move on, 'cause it obviously went over some folks head and they're taking it too personal. 😗
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 05:57 AM   #57
ChargerHellcat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp Xdrive FDG

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree, the carbon roof does look hella cool and it's awesome that you're honest and at peace with your decision, thus, my previous comment doesn't apply to you.

It was more so to highlight the hypocrisy of some folks perception of the vehicle's model purpose, which is constantly changing on a sliding-scale to support their argument.

Regardless, let's move on, 'cause it obviously went over some folks head and they're taking it too personal. 😗
I didn't have my Apple car play on my Hellcat as my was a 2016. I have other cars with Apple car play and it's almost a must for me. It's not my only car, but for 96k car I thought that's it's a pretty important feature for me for them to omit. I totally get why people wouldn't be happy without it. However, I don't care that people have sunroof, doesn't make them any less extreme. It's just less important to them, I love a sunroof but the carbon fiber roof just looks to cool and I noticed in my 392 when I did have a moonroof, I never used it. Let's just hope if it doesn't come with it, it can be retrofitted later.
2012 - Charger SRT 392 - Sold
2009 - Charger SRT 6.1 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 07:25 AM   #58
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbelly View Post
$100k 3 series that can't include a basic option on a Chevy Spark. I understand supply chains and constraints, but c'mon.
It impacts every manufacturer, tbh

Kevin Harvick
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 07:38 AM   #59
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

This is getting so nuts. I'm amazed that I had a moment where I almost turned away from buying my car in March because it was one of the HEA cars that didn't come with blind spot monitoring...a feature I've never had on a car and don't really need. I feel like I should go hug my cameras and features that I DID get.

Best wishes to you all
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 08:32 AM   #60
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

So, this is the #1 thing that has me worked up about my order (I'm #4 in line for an allocation at my dealer). My question is…..has anyone else (besides the OP) received this message? My hope is that, if no one else has received this, maybe it's not happening? Also, if CarPlay is deleted, am I reading this correctly that it WILL be retrofitted later? Meaning, it's only temporary for those that have this deleted? Is it US? Canada?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 08:46 AM   #61
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
So, this is the #1 thing that has me worked up about my order (I'm #4 in line for an allocation at my dealer). My question is…..has anyone else (besides the OP) received this message? My hope is that, if no one else has received this, maybe it's not happening? Also, if CarPlay is deleted, am I reading this correctly that it WILL be retrofitted later? Meaning, it's only temporary for those that have this deleted? Is it US? Canada?
Quote:
I have the same question, it would be great to know if CarPlay can retrofitted. I know the M3 is a "drivers" car, and I expect most M3 owners will be focused on the performance of the car. That said, Apple CarPlay is very good, I too would say it's a must have feature. I'm not sure I'd cancel my order should CarPlay be deleted, but I'd consider canceling for sure. If it can be retrofitted that would give me much comfort. (I acknowledge these issues are affecting all manufacturers so there may not be options with other brands)
Appreciate 1
The Nerd425.50
      12-27-2021, 08:53 AM   #62
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I honestly believe you would be able to easily retrofitted CarPlay and AA later down the line, when the OEM part becomes readily available again.

Reading between the lines, it sound like the part that they are in short supply of is the WLAN antenna, which is an external part that easily plugs into the back of the iDrive unit and allows for communication with your phone, via WiFi, which then makes provisioning of CarPlay an option.

Bluetooth 5.0 is built into the iDrive unit and uses a separate module to communicate with your phone, so that option remains all the same. So widgets (such as Spotify) within the iDrive system would still function as normal, without the Wi-Fi antenna.

In fact, some ingenious folks might be able to use an aftermarket WLAN antenna and revert CarPlay sooner, before the supply-chain bottleneck catches up with demand for the OEM antenna.

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      12-27-2021, 09:43 AM   #63
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Quote:
I honestly believe you would be able to easily retrofitted CarPlay and AA later down the line, when the OEM part becomes readily available again.

Reading between the lines, it sound like the part that they are in short supply of is the WLAN antenna, which is an external part that easily plugs into the back of the iDrive unit and allows for communication with your phone, via WiFi, which then makes provisioning of CarPlay an option.

Bluetooth 5.0 is built into the iDrive unit and uses a separate module to communicate with your phone, so that option remains all the same. So widgets (such as Spotify) within the iDrive system would still function as normal, without the Wi-Fi antenna.

In fact, some ingenious folks might be able to use an aftermarket WLAN antenna and revert CarPlay sooner, before the supply-chain bottleneck catches up with demand for the OEM antenna.

Any idea how hard it would be to enable wired CarPlay? Could that be just software, and perhaps what they will enable later instead of wireless CarPlay?
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 09:56 AM   #64
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
Any idea how hard it would be to enable wired CarPlay? Could that be just software, and perhaps what they will enable later instead of wireless CarPlay?
That is 100% what they will do, but ID7 does not have native wired AA.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 10:09 AM   #65
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Depends on how BMW choses to bin this feature within the system.

If you're lucky, they didn't change the actual programming and just systematically blocked CarPlay, since the hardware is not available to support it. That would mean it could be easily be coded back on, once you install the Wi-Fi antenna.

However, if they developed a separate program to bin these features, then it would require a complete re-flash of the iDrive software, back to version of software that is written for CarPlay as an option.

It's soon to tell just yet but if I had to make an educated guess, I would say it's just blocked via coding. The negative to this is that you would not be able to easily jump into a wired version of CarPlay, since the set software is not setup to allow such functionality.

I can't find any specifically on the iDrive 7, since CarPlay is now typically included standard, across the board but here is an an example of how it's flashed on earlier versions of iDrive.

They are pretty much all the same, minus the minimally revised hardware between each iteration.

Appreciate 2
      12-27-2021, 10:10 AM   #66
omaralt
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3

are touchscreens still not available? i can't imagine using carplay without a touchscreen
2013 550i M sport Alpine White/Cinnamon (retired)
Appreciate 0