BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Regional Forums USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

11-08-2021, 03:55 PM   #1
thegrandfacade
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp RWD

Front Plate // NYC vs NJ

Should hopefully be receiving my G82 at the end of this month, and I've asked the dealership not to drill into the front bumper, as I refuse permanently mount a front plate on this car.

The car will be registered in NJ, but I work and spend a lot of time in NYC, so I'm wondering - do meter maids in the city issue missing plate tickets to vehicles with NJ plates, or do they only do that for vehicles with NY plates?

I'm considering getting a Sto N Sho mount just to be safe, so I can throw the plate on when parked as needed, but wondering if this is necessary.

Any experience / insight would be much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 06:59 PM   #2
LIF83
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrandfacade View Post
Should hopefully be receiving my G82 at the end of this month, and I've asked the dealership not to drill into the front bumper, as I refuse permanently mount a front plate on this car.

The car will be registered in NJ, but I work and spend a lot of time in NYC, so I'm wondering - do meter maids in the city issue missing plate tickets to vehicles with NJ plates, or do they only do that for vehicles with NY plates?

I'm considering getting a Sto N Sho mount just to be safe, so I can throw the plate on when parked as needed, but wondering if this is necessary.

Any experience / insight would be much appreciated!
Only NY vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 10:25 PM   #3
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

NYPD cop once wrote me a ticket for no front plate (NJ plated car). But in 10 years of ownership I only got 2 tickets (one in NYC and one in NJ) so it was worth it.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 11:30 PM   #4
thegrandfacade
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp RWD

Really appreciate the replies! I think I'll go without for now, and if it becomes problematic, then I'll opt for the Sto N Sho mount.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2021, 08:38 AM   #5
Theoskay
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition X-Drive

I've never received a ticket or been pulled over for no front plates (ny) but it gets mentioned when pulled over for other reasons. Not that I get pulled over often…..
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2021, 07:49 AM   #6
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoskay View Post
I've never received a ticket or been pulled over for no front plates (ny) but it gets mentioned when pulled over for other reasons. Not that I get pulled over often…..
Yup, I got pulled over for something else in NYC but also got an extra ticket for no front plate. whatever... lol
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 03:34 PM   #7
Maciej
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 BSM M2, '24 BG X5

Never ran a front plate on any car in the past sixteen years, never got hassled. You’ll be fine. My new M4C won’t have one either.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 04:46 PM   #8
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

I just got whacked!

I was driving on the highway through a construction zone and wasn't speeding (but did speed Up after the zone, and a trooper followed me and gave me a ticket for no front plate and for window tints (which are super light!)

I don't street park in NYC, garage only, but I've heard you will get tickets for no front plate quite a bit.

I expected to only get a ticket on the street so was surprised that the trooper chased after me! I got a fix it ticket for the tints and they guys at the inspection shop Said the fix it tickets are gone crazy with all sorts of stuff being enforced that hasn't been for years
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 09:42 PM   #9
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
I just got whacked!

I was driving on the highway through a construction zone and wasn't speeding (but did speed Up after the zone, and a trooper followed me and gave me a ticket for no front plate and for window tints (which are super light!)

I don't street park in NYC, garage only, but I've heard you will get tickets for no front plate quite a bit.

I expected to only get a ticket on the street so was surprised that the trooper chased after me! I got a fix it ticket for the tints and they guys at the inspection shop Said the fix it tickets are gone crazy with all sorts of stuff being enforced that hasn't been for years
Dislike! which highway? you said trooper so I am guessing not NYPD?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 09:02 PM   #10
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRacer523 View Post
Quote:
I just got whacked!

Dislike! which highway? you said trooper so I am guessing not NYPD?
I-87 heading North towards Canada
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2021, 01:25 PM   #11
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I-87 heading North towards Canada
Oh yeah. I've been stopped a few times on there too. Speeding LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 04:26 PM   #12
LIF83
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

If anyone here needs a special card to help ya get out of jams lmk.
NYC/ works in LI and upstate too.
Appreciate 2